As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cell Phone Decision Help

UncleChetUncleChet N00bLancaster, PARegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I need help. I'm Very torn on what to do about new phones/plans.
My contract with AT&T is up 11/8. I am free to jump ship to any carrier, and though I have less than shiny credit, don't have to pay a hardware deposit on any of them.

I started a contract on Sprint, with an Evo 4g and was thrilled, the phone is amazing, i have 4g in my area and was instantly in love with Froyo.

3 days later, i received a letter stating that due to my slightly (sorta) tarnished credit, I'd have a spending cap put on my account, that would cost me 5$/month to my bill, unless I enrolled in auto draft billing. I also would receive a 10% discount due to having an AOL email address. Now, this in and of itself isn't a deal breaker, but, it wasn't even eluded to when I signed the initial sprint contract, so I called them, canceled and returned the phone. The guy at the sprint store was an amazing douche. Totally rude and just very angry.

So, I called Verizon, they have the 2nd most awesome phones, either the droid X, or the droid 2 R2D2 model. I can also get a 19% voice discount and 12% data discount due to my employer, but no 4g service, and no evo 4g phone.

So I'm stuck. I simply can't decide who to go with. There's also tmobile with the g2, but they're not that interesting to me as a provider.

So, someone , please, help me pick a phone/provider because my brain is melting with indecistion

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
UncleChet on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Stick with AT&T and get an iPhone.

Esh on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LOL, i have an iPhone 3g, am super bored with it, and Really like android. Nothing at all against AT&T but their android phones are less than stellar, and I don't get a hardware discount on the iphone.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just got a G2 a bit ago, and it is awesome.

If you don't like Tmobile, whatever. I've had them since college and haven't had a single problem with them. But the G2 man. It's very cool.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sprint does that flexible spending account bull with everyone. They do, however, have those nifty unlimited data plans a lot cheaper than any other provider I know of.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    SigmaConditionSigmaCondition Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I worked in cell phone hell for 4 years. I hate people like this that want to nit-pick every tiny difference between phone A and phone B. The ones that want to pick a plan with the absolute minimum number of minutes and then just be shocked and amazed when they exceed that amount. Cell phones should all have a $50-$60/monthly rate and the phones should be full price. No more subsidized customers, and no more of this (I can't believe they have me in a contract! That's so unfair!)

Bunch of whiney little girls

SigmaCondition on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I worked in cell phone hell for 4 years. I hate people like this that want to nit-pick every tiny difference between phone A and phone B. The ones that want to pick a plan with the absolute minimum number of minutes and then just be shocked and amazed when they exceed that amount. Cell phones should all have a $50-$60/monthly rate and the phones should be full price. No more subsidized customers, and no more of this (I can't believe they have me in a contract! That's so unfair!)

Bunch of whiney little girls

T-Mobile does this

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    UncleChet wrote: »
    So, I need help. I'm Very torn on what to do about new phones/plans.
    My contract with AT&T is up 11/8. I am free to jump ship to any carrier, and though I have less than shiny credit, don't have to pay a hardware deposit on any of them.

I started a contract on Sprint, with an Evo 4g and was thrilled, the phone is amazing, i have 4g in my area and was instantly in love with Froyo.

3 days later, i received a letter stating that due to my slightly (sorta) tarnished credit, I'd have a spending cap put on my account, that would cost me 5$/month to my bill, unless I enrolled in auto draft billing. I also would receive a 10% discount due to having an AOL email address. Now, this in and of itself isn't a deal breaker, but, it wasn't even eluded to when I signed the initial sprint contract, so I called them, canceled and returned the phone. The guy at the sprint store was an amazing douche. Totally rude and just very angry.

So, I called Verizon, they have the 2nd most awesome phones, either the droid X, or the droid 2 R2D2 model. I can also get a 19% voice discount and 12% data discount due to my employer, but no 4g service, and no evo 4g phone.

So I'm stuck. I simply can't decide who to go with. There's also tmobile with the g2, but they're not that interesting to me as a provider.

So, someone , please, help me pick a phone/provider because my brain is melting with indecistion

If you're looking to go with Verizon, I'd wait another 4-6 weeks.

Just because we're coming up into holiday season and there will be more phones being released.

Your discount definitely isn't bad either.

xThanatoSx on