As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Costume quest- Get your costume on again with DLC planned for December!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I met a female costumer who was a big fan of Earthbound and Paper Mario and rushed home to buy this after I described it.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    So I'm going for all achievements here, and I'm wondering if this is one of those games where you want to finish everything first before beating the game. Or can I beat it and keep playing to finish up the last few quests, candy, etc.?

I 100% it on my play through without consciously going for it.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I'm going for all achievements here, and I'm wondering if this is one of those games where you want to finish everything first before beating the game. Or can I beat it and keep playing to finish up the last few quests, candy, etc.?

I haven't actually tried to continue the game after I finished it, but it takes you back to the menu screen after you skip past the credits. The final battle is pretty easy to recognize, you have to talk to the witch lady three times and she gives you ample warning to get your costumes/stamps right and finish everything.

freakish light on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Any rewards for beating it? Hard mode unlocked? Get to start with all the costumes? Anything?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You get an extra avatar item :P

freakish light on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmm. I want a reason to go through and beat it again before Halloween. I guess I can just go through with different costumes, battle stamps, etc. this time. But I really wish you unlocked something. At least let us go through again with all of the costumes from the start or something.

anoffday on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dammit, I'm still missing one costume ingredient for the
    Unicorn

I already got the chest in the pumpkin, and the chest on the monorail. Not sure where to look.

edit: nevermind, found the answer on the internets

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cantido on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game is the cutest, and it fits Double Fine's MO to a tee.

Jintor on
  • Options
    Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Dammit, I'm still missing one costume ingredient for the
    Unicorn

I already got the chest in the pumpkin, and the chest on the monorail. Not sure where to look.

edit: nevermind, found the answer on the internets

I missed the same piece until about the very end of the game, which was incredibly disappointing because that costume is sooooo good.
    The real-life equivalent of the unicorn is absolutely adorable.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    This game is the cutest, and it fits Double Fine's MO to a tee.

Unfortunately I'm hearing bitchings that it's low budget, is not a platformer and has no voice acting.

Cantido on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To which I say:
    Schafernauts_by_Mul.jpg

What I meant was that cute shorter effective games like this are the sort of thing DF should be working on. Not that I disliked Brutal Legend and it having a million celebrity voices.

Jintor on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm at the
    corn maze
    and I'm thinking I must have missed one of the shortcut sarcophogi somewhere. I really want to go back to the mall and win that costume competition.

Am I blind or is it still to come?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm at the
    corn maze
    and I'm thinking I must have missed one of the shortcut sarcophogi somewhere. I really want to go back to the mall and win that costume competition.

Am I blind or is it still to come?

Still to come!

Kind of bummed me out too. Had to wait a while to get a costume I missed.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The dialogue is easily best part of the game.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    Also, Tim Schafer revealed on Twitter that the Brutal Legend Laser Panther is hidden in Costume Quest. I looooooove Laser Panthers.

Man I did not twig that its was a BL panther!

I'm going to play through this again!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Quick question, can you continue playing after the final boss fight?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yes, but if you get 200 gamerscore after beating it there's really no point in continuing.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Glenn565 wrote: »

Yes, but if you get 200 gamerscore after beating it there's really no point in continuing.

Yes, selecting Continue after you beat the game just puts you right by the final area.

Also, I found the Brutal Legend reference:
    The Black Cat Costume. It fights EXACTLY like a Laser Panther.

It only took me ten minutes to go back and mop up the rest of the achievements.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Finished yesterday. Apart from the final boss (who was a bit of a beast) the challenge was pretty much negligible if you had two party members with stunning stamps. But who cares? Boat loads of charm easily carried it through for an extremely enjoyable experience.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    killerkabutokillerkabuto Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My wife loved this game. She played it all weekend. When she finished it, she jumped up and cheered that it was the first game she ever beat. I was thrilled for her.

Now, I need to find more games like this for her to play. She liked the humor, the art, the gameplay, and especially, the difficulty. She liked watching me play psychonauts, but could never really play it herself.

Any, tips on some super fun and lightly challenging console games?

killerkabuto on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    My wife loved this game. She played it all weekend. When she finished it, she jumped up and cheered that it was the first game she ever beat. I was thrilled for her.

Now, I need to find more games like this for her to play. She liked the humor, the art, the gameplay, and especially, the difficulty. She liked watching me play psychonauts, but could never really play it herself.

If she likes the gameplay in this then the Paper Mario series is definately a thing to look into.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also, be on the lookout for the other Amnesia Fortnight games coming out of Double Fine/THQ. They might not be as easy and whimsical as this game, but they might be just as funny.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Jason00Jason00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Best line in the game:
    The kid in the banana costume named Gob: "The kid in the $600 banana costume is going to follow the kid in the $20 costume? C'mon!"

Jason00 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also, be on the lookout for the other Amnesia Fortnight games coming out of Double Fine/THQ. They might not be as easy and whimsical as this game, but they might be just as funny.

Whose is it? Lee Petty or Brad Muir? I want Brad Muir's game NOW.

Also, Costume Quest is finally getting some love on the Xbox dashboard.

I...what?

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So I noticed something strange I missed the first time.
    In the street area, the house above the 'graveyard gate' that you need to open, there is a skeleton prop outside the house. You can hit it. It then gets up and walks about a bit before climbing over a hedge and going to 'sleep' on top of a grace. Crazy!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

If she likes the gameplay in this then the Paper Mario series is definately a thing to look into.
    I dunno. If you're talking about Paper Mario for the N64, then that game is no push over. Especially Bowser at the end. And as far as I remember Thousand Year Door had it's hard moments too.

Ok, I totally want to play Super Mario RPG again now.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I dunno. If you're talking about Paper Mario for the N64, then that game is no push over. Especially Bowser at the end. And as far as I remember Thousand Year Door had it's hard moments too.

Ok, I totally want to play Super Mario RPG again now.

There's also the Mario and Luigi games for the handhelds. Not sure how easy it'll be to get the GBA ones but Bowser's Inside Story is for the DS and it's everywhere.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Kirby's epic yarn?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only thing I don't like about this is the fact that there is no way to set text bubble speed. Those things move WAY too fast.

Otherwise the game is pretty great so far.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anybody know what happens if you get to the final boss without getting the
    Pumpkin costume (and therefore the demon speaker)
    ?

I really don't want to replay the whole thing to find out.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pjstelford wrote: »
    ?

Nothing. There's no multi-endings or anything like that. You can choose Continue and be placed before the last boss to go finish doing stuff.

Also,
    PumpkinQuest.jpg

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ?

Nothing. There's no multi-endings or anything like that. You can choose Continue and be placed before the last boss to go finish doing stuff.

Also,
    PumpkinQuest.jpg

Either you've misunderstood the question or that's really lazy game design. The final boss pre-battle cutscene heavily involves the use of an item that one could conceiveably not pick up. The question was how does the game handle that.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ?

Also,
    PumpkinQuest.jpg

Either you've misunderstood the question or that's really lazy game design. The final boss pre-battle cutscene heavily involves the use of an item that one could conceiveably not pick up. The question was how does the game handle that.

Oops. I didn't get the question. I got the Pumpkin costume without thinking about it. I didn't notice it the item in question being related to it.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    PumpkinQuest.jpg

<3

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oops. I didn't get the question. I got the Pumpkin costume without thinking about it. I didn't notice it the item in question being related to it.

I don't think it is related; you get the item in question right inside the fairgrounds (not from the scarecrow), and I expect you can't advance the story without talking to him.

Zerozaki Ishiki on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    PumpkinQuest.jpg

<3
    That is awesome.

anoffday on
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I don't think it is related; you get the item in question right inside the fairgrounds (not from the scarecrow), and I expect you can't advance the story without talking to him.

Actually, it is from the Scarecrow. The dialogue specifically references "But you always give us items for (costume)" and then he says "Well then have this too."

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So I'm trick or treating in Fall Valley and a guy with a mustache answers the door and says, "My husband said no kids would come so this is all the candy we have."

I guess the game takes place in Massachusetts.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I'm trick or treating in Fall Valley and a guy with a mustache answers the door and says, "My husband said no kids would come so this is all the candy we have."

I guess the game takes place in Massachusetts.

I got this as well and was wondering if it was a glitch or just random dialogue.

It'd be kind of interesting if they just straight up put a dude referencing having a husband in a family friendly title.

Sir Platypus on