As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me replace my mp3 player

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
Short version

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me pick up a new mp3 player with the features I want. I'm willing to spend the money on a decent one but obviously I'd like to choose a cheap, effective, simple player. Essential features -

- 2 to 4gb space. I'm happy with 2gb but if the 4gb option is only slightly dearer I may consider it. I simply dont need 8gb or more.

- I'm happy to pay extra for a solid mp3 player that suits my needs but don't want a big, fancy thing with touchscreens or whatever. Just something that is functional.

- Drag, drop and play. I dont want to have to install any other programs, I just want to drag a music file into it and be able to listen to it as soon as I remove the MP3 player seconds later.

- LOUD! I have a decent set of earbuds and a decent pair of 'earmuff' headphones that I use constantly, and have used for other MP3 players so I know it's the mp3 player that is the problem at the moment. The mp3 player I have now is pathetic for volume with the large headphones, my first mp3 player was boomingly loud with earbuds or earmuffs. This is absolutley essential.

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Long version with more specific ideas of what I want

I had a wonderful MP3 player a few years ago, a Samsung YP-U1Q 2GB 2GB (the black one)

Samsung_YP_U11.jpg

I could just drag and drop mp3s and other sound files onto it like you would a memory stick and bam, instantly playable without installing any other programs. The usb connector was tucked underneath/inside it under a little slide out pannel that you simply flicked around and plugged into something which was great for me since I hate those fiddly little usb cover caps or having to get a new wire to download/charge it. Plus the volume was great on it, even using my huge 'earmuff' headphones it was incredibly loud if I wanted it to be. Plus, it survived me constantly dropping it and worked perfectley as a memory stick for work and for XBox360 soundtracks.

I've tried looking for another after it finally gave up the ghost after around 3 or more years of solid use but it looks like they have discontinued making it and i cant find one on eBay.

I've had other mp3 players since then, I lost my next one recentley (not bad, nice and loud but I really hated having to convert my files with the packaged program to hear them) and recentley grabbed a 2gb £30/$50 sony walkman, but I really dont like the interface, have to convert files to listen to them and the volume is quite low (okayish through 2 sets of earbud headphones but it's very quiet through my large headphones). I'm going to get my money refunded for this one and try again.

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like you may need some form of amplifier.
    Like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMoy

I hear the Sansa Clip is nice, and you should be able to find one for cheap now that its replacement (the Clip+) has been out for a while.

corky842 on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Like corky842 says you need an amplifier. Either that or look for other old players on eBay and the like.

PS. Sounds odd to me that you need to convert files for that Sony player. I'm pretty sure that was only in the old days (Ah, the memories - I remember my 64 MB Sony player).

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    - LOUD! I have a decent set of earbuds and a decent pair of 'earmuff' headphones that I use constantly, and have used for other MP3 players so I know it's the mp3 player that is the problem at the moment. The mp3 player I have now is pathetic for volume with the large headphones, my first mp3 player was boomingly loud with earbuds or earmuffs. This is absolutley essential.

Psssst... you are going to damage your hearing.

Recoil42 on