As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beginner Telescopes

EWomEWom Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been tasked by my sister to try and help her find a beginner telescope for a christmas gift this year.

This is what she told me somewhat:

Cheap but not too cheap, it's not for a child, I get the impression it's for an adult who's really into "space" but can't afford a telescope themselves, but she also doesn't have thousands of dollars to spend here.

Basic function would be to look at stars, planets, and comets.

Preferably have a companion "starter book" or something of the like, to make it easy for the user to find specific things.

I'm completely out of my element here, as I've never had an interest in space or telescope at all. Not sure where to look for quality items and good deals. And they'll be in the Seattle Washington area if that helps at all for finding stores.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
EWom on

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i've always heard good things about this:

http://www.scientificsonline.com/astroscan-plus-telescope.html

but i was one of those guys who never actually pulled the trigger and purchased one

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What's your budget? The best bang for your buck is a dobsonian telescope which is a reflector type mounted on top of a simple wooden box that rotates on a wheel. Works quite well but it can be heavy. You get a lot of aperture (referring to the diameter of the objective which in this case is the mirror at the bottom of the telescope that gathers and reflects light) for your money but an important consideration is getting something that will be used. I had a 12" dobsonian which was as tall as I was but it also weighed over a hundred pounds and was terrible to move around.

Refractors are another consideration but they're more expensive and generally have a much smaller aperture. The scopes themselves are simpler than a reflector but the equatorial mounts are quite complicated.

For Brand, Orion is a good value and they're usually well reviewed. You can find them at telescope.com.

For books if this person really wants to get into the hobby then The Backyard Astronomer's Guide is a textbook sized tome full of excellent information that will tell them nearly everything they want to know. A copy of the latest Sky and Telescope is also a good idea as it will have a star chart for that month.

By the way, dobsonians are usually manual machines. You push them to where you want to go. That means they have to learn the sky. A star chart and a pair of eyes is a good place to start. Binoculars are very helpful but they add to the cost of the hobby. The viewfinder on the telescope can be used as well but it's not as flexible and due to the magnification of the telescope itself you won't be using the telescope much for searching the sky.

If you give me a budget and tell me more about the situation I can give you more specific advice.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    SunDragonSunDragon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sarksus said just about exactly what I was going to say. Another good starting idea is a good pair of binoculars. You can see a lot of neat things with them(night time or not), and they give a pretty good taste of if you want to go further into the hobby. I bought a pair of binoculars from Orion that included a little starter book. Another good book is "turn left at orion". Its a great book with lots of things you can see with small telescopes. Its pretty much designed for an adult and kid with no real experience to find stuff to look at.

SunDragon on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't own Turn Left at Orion but it is a book that is often recommended and I don't think you could go wrong. I agree with the binoculars bit though again it depends entirely on your budget. You can spend as little as $250-300 on this hobby or you can buy a house with the budgets some people have :P Binoculars make it extremely easy to learn the sky and they're something you'd use even after you bought a telescope. Looking at the Pleiades star cluster through a pair of 10x50 binoculars was when amateur astronomy clicked for me. It all depends on your budget.

One last recommendation is a website. Cloudynights.com is a review site and community that is full of useful knowledge and very helpful people.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    https://www.galileoscope.org/gs/

I bought a couple of these galileoscopes as gifts last year for Christmas, the recipients love them and you can't beat the price. It makes a great starter telescope.

ransim on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bumping this up to answer a question. :)

So I have decided to tell my parents that I would like a telescope for Christmas. I went to the Sky Watch event held at MOSI here in Tampa last night and WOW! Basically, since neither I, nor my parents, know anything about telescopes, I figured I would turn to the all knowing H&A.

Here is what I want to be able to see:

Orion Nebula
    Rings of Saturn
    Great Red Spot

Of course, I also don't want them to buy me a $500 scope either.

Any suggestions?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is a pretty good community for building your own telescopes, grinding your own glass, etc.

He recently passed away, but check our Jack Horkheimer's Stargazer program. Its a five minute series on naked eye astronomy that PBS carried for decades. Youtube has a fucking ton of them.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Get a reflector. Refractors are more readily available, like the cheap $60 Telescos, but there are a LOT of awful pieces of crap on the market with extruded plastic lenses.

Those cheap crap refractors aren't completely awful, they're ok for the moon and the brighter planets, but anything else you'll want a quality telescope for. You'll exhaust your options for good viewing in a few months once you get some experience with them.

Hevach on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hear most frequently that

1) Dobsonian models are the best for somewhat serious beginners. They are sort of the "cheapest" serious telescope, for if you actually want to view awesome

2) Aperture size = distance and clarity. Bigger the better.

I don't think you're really going to see much with a 30 dollar telescope from Amazon. I had one as a kid and I remember not being able to see very much very clearly.

I think if you shop around you can find Dobsonians starting around 200?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    How about this one?

Celestron 127EQ PowerSeeker

Big aperture but it's a Newtonian Reflector.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    How about this one?

Celestron 127EQ PowerSeeker

Big aperture but it's a Newtonian Reflector.

I would say that that may be too complicated for a beginner, depending on what they want. I would recommend a telescope with a computer GOTO system.
    They make finding stuff a hell of a lot easier and (from my experience with Meade) provide a lot of interesting information on what you're actually looking at.

Having a telescope track what you want to look at removes a lot of the hassle from the hobby.

I use a 4 inch meade etx mostly and while I can see/make out Jupiter's spot, don't be expecting to see Hubble level of detail.
    Another thing I found out is it is better to have a small scope you can use easily and move/store than to have one so large it is no longer convinient and doesn't get used.

Pete0r on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So something like this then?

Celestron Nexstar 60GT

MyDcmbr on
    Steam