As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So I'll be doing C# and .Net dev stuff soon. How do I want to run Windows - Bootcamp or a VM?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2015
    Echo wrote: »
    So I'll be doing C# and .Net dev stuff soon. How do I want to run Windows - Bootcamp or a VM?

If it is GPU intensive work, do boot camp.

Otherwise, you will be perfectly happy staying in a VM.

You can also structure a modern VM in such a way that you can use it both ways - boot camp when you need low level access to the hardware, VM when you want to just sling some code while using the Mac the way you would rather use it.

edit: I think Parallels has a better implementation of this function than VMWare, but both do it.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

I mostly agree with syndalis above, but... IDEs/compilers are among the few apps that will use ALL your machine's cores and RAM. If your project is sufficiently large, it's probably worth booting into Windows for performance reasons.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Help me OSX masters, you are my only hope.

I convinced my wife to switch to Mac as her old Windows machine was dying. During the set up we did the Migration assistant (knowing what we know now, we probably wouldn't have done this), only to have it die with about 30 mins to go. I reinstalled the OS, but for some reason it still had the migrated windows account on the machine. I thought, no biggie, we signed in, and set up the apple account and whatnot.

This morning, we're trying the migration assistant again, and during the process it asked if we wanted to keep both accounts, or replace the account. We chose keep both accounts because I just wanted to get the migration of data done and not screw up what we already had working. In 4 hours I'll know if that was the right choice. My wife is pretty much ready to return the Macbook if there are any more issues during the set up process as she hasn't had a chance to even use her new machine and has just had the nightmare of Migration Assistant so far.

My question is, if the migration works fine, and we now have 2 accounts on the machine, is there a way to merge the 2 accounts into 1? It would be awesome to just have 1 account on the Mac when this is all done.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Not that I can help much but what are you trying to migrate?
    It's probably easiest to set the mac up fresh, throw them on the same network and manually pull stuff from the old machine.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    useless4 wrote: »
    It's probably easiest to set the mac up fresh, throw them on the same network and manually pull stuff from the old machine.

Looking back on it, that is the path we should have taken. Instead, we migrated her docs, iTunes, photos and more from her windows box onto the mac using migration assistant. It was painful last night (the windows box timed out, left the mac in a weird state, and then I reinstalled the OS and it still had the partially migrated computer account for some reason). We re-did the migration today, and now she has 2 accounts on the mac. We're using the newly created one courtesy of the migration assistant since that's where all her files are. I think what I may do after all this is just delete the other account, and move forward with the one created today.

In other news, Migration Assistant sucks, and Apple really should fix it.

nusu on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    frankly the best migration assistant is a ditto -v command on the user directory

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    nusu wrote: »

Looking back on it, that is the path we should have taken. Instead, we migrated her docs, iTunes, photos and more from her windows box onto the mac using migration assistant. It was painful last night (the windows box timed out, left the mac in a weird state, and then I reinstalled the OS and it still had the partially migrated computer account for some reason). We re-did the migration today, and now she has 2 accounts on the mac. We're using the newly created one courtesy of the migration assistant since that's where all her files are. I think what I may do after all this is just delete the other account, and move forward with the one created today.

I've never used it to go from Windows to Mac, but I've used it from Mac to Mac a ton of times and never had any problems, but that sucks you had such troubles.

To answer your question: sounds like the first time you tried it one of the machines crapped out before it was done, but the second time it worked just fine. It takes a lot longer than just straight copying over, so maybe that was the problem.

You can go ahead and just straight delete the first account I think. If the second one went off fine, everything you need should be in there.

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    Hyperion wrote: »

I've never used it to go from Windows to Mac, but I've used it from Mac to Mac a ton of times and never had any problems, but that sucks you had such troubles.

To answer your question: sounds like the first time you tried it one of the machines crapped out before it was done, but the second time it worked just fine. It takes a lot longer than just straight copying over, so maybe that was the problem.

You can go ahead and just straight delete the first account I think. If the second one went off fine, everything you need should be in there.

Thanks, that's what I was planning to do now that everything seems to be working on the 2nd go around.

At some point I need to run the migration assistant for my machine, to go from a really old MBP to my new one. Hopefully there aren't many issues going from snow leopard to el capitan.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    Hyperion wrote: »

Thanks, that's what I was planning to do now that everything seems to be working on the 2nd go around.

At some point I need to run the migration assistant for my machine, to go from a really old MBP to my new one. Hopefully there aren't many issues going from snow leopard to el capitan.

You shouldn't have any issues at all. Just make sure one of the machines doesn't conk out before the transfer is done (which I suspect is what caused your problems the first time). An even easier way to do it would be to make a time machine backup of your old machine (which you should be doing, regardless), and use that to restore your new laptop. I'd be shocked if that was anything other than super easy.

BTW, the reason you had two accounts on your machine is because the Migration Assistant had already set up the account, it just died while it was populating it. It's not like it's an all or nothing thing, where it's empty until it's finished.

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    Turns out I have a Dreamspark license valid for a couple of years, so I grabbed the Windows 10 EDU ISO and made a Bootcamp USB stick with that. I keep getting "attempted write to readonly memory" from the installer, however, and since Windows 10 is so fresh Google isn't being helpful.

Anyone have some pointers? I had no problems installing the Win10 Tech Preview, but I have no idea if the EDU license works on that. I'll give it a shot though.

• Options
    ...and now I got errors during install with the TP too. Starting to wonder if it's my USB stick being old and busted.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah...sounds like a bad stick.

• Options
    Especially since I did a successful TP install earlier. Oh well, I'll buy a new one.

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    If you haven't already, I'd try using Boot Camp Assistant to nuke the Boot Camp partition, and then start the process over again. It's probably more likely to be the USB drive, but you never know. Might also try a different USB port, too, if you can.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Also, as weird as it sounds....

Try using a USB 2 stick.

I've had much better luck.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Good point. Windows Setup might not have drivers for the USB 3 controller. Although that'd be rather surprising, and if the same drive worked previously it'd make even less sense.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Update: Bought a new USB3 stick, installed without problems.

• Options
    Update: Bought a new USB3 stick, installed without problems.

Trufacts: Boot Camp is the kludgiest thing apple does, and they refuse to support it all that well, and its great once it works but dear god getting it to work sometimes...

Glad it worked out.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Are they phasing out the Air? The new MacBook looks like a better laptop in basically every way, although the processor makes me a little wary.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Are they phasing out the Air? The new MacBook looks like a better laptop in basically every way, although the processor makes me a little wary.

It's pretty much a given that this line will eventually replace the Air however, there's a big market for the Air still especially those that value battery life and connections. The new MacBook though looks good and the keyboard is nice, with it only having a single USB C connection as both its only connective source and power has been its biggest cripple. You could even accept the trade offs of mobile processor and lower battery life.

For me much like when the original Air was released it will take about 2-3 generation models for the new MacBook to become the Air replacement people want.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Wait, I thought that the main thing about the new Macbook was how it was all battery. Am I reading correctly that it doesn't have as good a battery life as the Air?

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Wait, I thought that the main thing about the new Macbook was how it was all battery. Am I reading correctly that it doesn't have as good a battery life as the Air?

It's supposed to be about the same as the 11 inch Air, however a number of 'real life' tests put it at around the 6 hour mark while not bad its nothing compared to the 13 inch Air which is stated at 12 hour and in a lot of tests proved to be actually much longer. The big thing about the new MacBook was that the battery is layered so it can have a large capacity in a much smaller format.

• Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »

From what I gather from reviews, the Air has a much better battery life but the new Macbook charges a bit faster. Take the battery life from reviews with a grain of salt, but...
    As for battery life, this is another area where you’ll need to manage your expectations. It’s a small computer loaded up with batteries, but it’s not going to get you anywhere near Apple’s claimed 9 to 10 hours. I usually get around 4.5 hours of continuous usage out of a full charge with the brightness set at around 50%. I’d normally have Firefox (10-15 tabs), TweetDeck, Excel, iTunes (playing music), Messages, Notes, and HipChat running simultaneously.

vs.
    The battery life of the past few generations of the MacBook Air has been impressive, and the 2015 model is no different in that regard. On the Laptop Mag Battery Test (Web surfing at 100 nits of brightness), the notebook lasted an epic 14 hours. That's 2 hours longer than Apple's claim as well as last year's Air (12:20), and 6 hours better than the ultraportable average of 8:05.

• Options
    How's the battery life on the new Pro Retinas? My mom is starting grad school and shes looking to grab a new laptop (currently using what I'm pretty sure is a first gen Intel Macbook) and I recommended the 13" Retina Pro since it'll be able to handle all of her school stuff and it'll act as a desktop replacement and it should last her the next 8 or so years (or about the length of time she's been using the MacBook).

I'm not entirely sure what her schedule is going to be like, but I know she's taking multiple classes. I know I was able to get through multiple classes without charging (6-8 hours on a 2009 15" Pro, although I'm getting about 3-5 hours now).

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    New Apple TV is rumored to be announced today. I don't care about gaming, so my only hope with its announcement is that it brings down the price of the old model a bit.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Has anyone experienced trackpad issues with 10.10.4? My sister's 2011 Macbook Pro will sometimes become unresponsive. I'm thinking the cpu is staying idle instead of ramping up to process what she's doing (typically a couple of Word docs, 10 or so Chrome tabs, and a couple of Preview windows), although I don't think what she's doing is all that strenuous.

Restarting will fix it for a bit, the boot up system diagnosis tool didn't detect any issues (and the trackpad seemed to work just fine in that environment).

I'm going to try a fresh OS install to see if that fixes it, but before I do does anyone know what might be causing this?

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Well, that dream is dead. Existing AppleTV is sticking around at its current price.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Lessons learned google before posting: http://jasonnash.com/2012/03/05/esxtop-and-osxs-terminal-application/ If there's any other Mac using IT guys this might help.
    Has anyone found a way to fix EsxTop in OS X command line?

finalbroadcast on
    finalbroadcast.jpg
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Just got a new macbook pro.

What's the consensus on El Capitan?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    I think the changes to Mission Control are worth it alone. I'd be hard pressed to name anything else I've actually noticed in my day-to-day use. I go from El Cap at home to Yosemite at work without noticing a difference either way. Well, okay, that and the new font, but I may be in a minority there.

I'm a bit sad it's the first release without the accompanying Siracusa review. Nowhere else does anywhere near as good at breaking down the changes in a new OS X.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    El Capitan is a solid update and it's free. If your Mac supports it, it's worth installing if you've confirmed that the apps you use on a daily basis are compatible with it.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    physi_marc wrote: »
    El Capitan is a solid update and it's free. If your Mac supports it, it's worth installing if you've confirmed that the apps you use on a daily basis are compatible with it.

Thanks. I might wait until after im done traveling though.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »

Thanks. I might wait until after im done traveling though.

Don't forget to backup before installing!

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Nothing to back up for me since I just bought the new macbook pro.... more concerned after learning el capitan does not allow programs to link to the /usr/ directory and if thatll affect the workshop im going to this coming week.

Edit: maybe not an issue: https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-patched/R-admin.html#El-Capitan

sounds like theres a workaround for the issue in that link, but still worried until i hear back from workshop organizer.

Edit 2: Installed El Capitan with no problems, all the programs I cared about work just fine, workshop organizer assured me I was good to go as well.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    quietjayquietjay Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    The hard drive in my iMac 27" late 2009 is starting to go bad, so I'm going to replace it with a 2.5" SSD using these instructions on iFixit. My question is do I need to find some kind of 2.5 to 3.5 mounting bracket, or can I jury-rig it with one screw and tape/Velcro?

Become a Star Citizen
  • Options
    On that note, my HDD replacement kit for the Macbook arrived today. Just need to go buy an SSD and I'll ditch the optical drive.

Currently there's a 750 gig HDD in it I'll keep for storage.

• Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    I don't really play games on my macbook anymore so this morning I deleted Steam. However, all of the shortcuts/icons to games are still showing up in Launchpad. None of the games are showing up in Finder and dragging the icons into trash doesn't work either.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could get rid of them? I'm sure I'm being an idiot but if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it!

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    pots+pans wrote: »
    I don't really play games on my macbook anymore so this morning I deleted Steam. However, all of the shortcuts/icons to games are still showing up in Launchpad. None of the games are showing up in Finder and dragging the icons into trash doesn't work either.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could get rid of them? I'm sure I'm being an idiot but if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it!

Had this problem with something else recently -- hold down your mouse button/trackpad click on the icon in Launchpad. It will do something similar to IOS where everything starts jiggling and a little x appears. Just use the x to delete them.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    pots+pans wrote: »

Did you actually fully delete all your Steam games? If you just tossed the Steam app in your trash, then all the games are still there. You need to delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/ folder, too.