As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i think crucial even has a program you can download to tell you which ram will be compatible with your computer

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    i think crucial even has a program you can download to tell you which ram will be compatible with your computer

They do. Got Crucial stuff for my 2008 Macbook after I ran that program and it gave me a list of models that fit and I went to ye olde webshoppe and bought that specific model.

Echo on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Mac Mini uses notebook ram, not desktop ram as you have linked.

Weird I sorted by laptop memory when cruising newegg. Good catch though!

I'll check out some of those websites. I did find some (I think) yonder. There's also some crucial but its $50 more and I've had great luck with corsair so I feel like it's a good brand.

Thanks everyone you rock!

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DataMemorySystems.com was recommended to me by a friend, and he said they have the cheapest prices on RAM. They also have a model lookup tool so you can find out what RAM you need. He loaded up his MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac from them and didn't seem to have any problems.

I'm thinking once my iMac gets here and I've paid it off and am starting to have some money again I'll buy their 16GB for $350.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone know if the new Airs have user-upgradeable RAM or have they gone totally proprietary?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Anyone know if the new Airs have user-upgradeable RAM or have they gone totally proprietary?

I'm pretty sure I read on Ars that nothing is user upgradable on the new Airs, so you need to choose wisely when making your purchase.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No part of the Air is user-replaceable. I think iFixit mentioned that the SSD isn't soldered to the logic board, but it uses some proprietary connector so even that will be...difficult to replace/upgrade yourself.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    RBach wrote: »
    No part of the Air is user-replaceable. I think iFixit mentioned that the SSD isn't soldered to the logic board, but it uses some proprietary connector so even that will be...difficult to replace/upgrade yourself.

Mini PCI-E is a standard connector, but you'll definitely be waiting until someone makes a similar form factor SSD.

Fats on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I just went to go play with the new Airs at the Apple Store, and man, they are impressive.

I opened up a ton of apps at once (Pages, Numbers, Safari with 10ish tabs, Aperture, Quicktime with a 720p video playing, iTunes, iCal, Mail, Activity Monitor) and noticed zero slowdown or even taxation on the CPU (I think it peaked around 30% usage the entire time.) I was able to quickly switch back and forth between them with alt-tab and expose and didn't notice any slowdown whatsoever, even when making adjustments in Aperture. It handled them all like a champ, and the launch time on each one was incredibly quick.

I tested a 1080p YouTube video in Safari and got really choppy playback, but I've heard this is a Safari/Flash issue on the instore models and that 1080p youtube videos work fine in Chrome, which is what I use anyway. Still, it's worrying that there is a fairly common use-case that is too taxing for the CPU. The same video worked fine on the MBA 13.3".

Still, the thinness and lightness of the MBA kind of makes the MBP 13" seem like a giant. I can't say for sure that the visit has sold me on the 11.6" MBA, but it's certainly making me think twice about the MBP after seeing them in comparison.

There've been some interesting reports coming in over the weekend that games like COD4: MW2, Left 4 Dead 2, Starcraft 2, and WoW are all playable without issues, albeit on low-medium settings. I'm interested seeing some benchmarks and some more specific scenarios, but if benchmarks continue to show that low-end gaming is doable, while the thing screams with general coding/photo editing/internet/media tasks, I just may end up ordering one. It's a pretty significant upgrade over my late-2007 Macbook, and early reports are that heat generated by the thing is practically non-existent. The hottest it gets appears to be "kind of warm, I guess" with 3D gaming, and that's pretty goddamn awesome compared to the leg-searing temperatures of the standard MB and MBP.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So I bought'd a mac mini. Pretty stoked. Ordered the following...
    • Apple®-Mac mini / Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor / 2GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive-MC270LL/A
    • Apple®-Magic Wireless Laser Mouse-MB829LL/A
    • Apple®-Wireless Keyboard-MC184LL/A
    • 2 Western Digital-My Book Essential 1TB External 3.0/2.0 Hard Drive-Black-WDBACW0010HBK-NESN
    • 2 Kingston Technology-4GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SoDIMM Laptop Memory-KTA-MB1066/4GETR

So very excited...should have it in 2 weeks or so. Some days I really wish I didn't live in the middle of the fracking ocean.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    I just went to go play with the new Airs at the Apple Store, and man, they are impressive.

I opened up a ton of apps at once (Pages, Numbers, Safari with 10ish tabs, Aperture, Quicktime with a 720p video playing, iTunes, iCal, Mail, Activity Monitor) and noticed zero slowdown or even taxation on the CPU (I think it peaked around 30% usage the entire time.) I was able to quickly switch back and forth between them with alt-tab and expose and didn't notice any slowdown whatsoever, even when making adjustments in Aperture. It handled them all like a champ, and the launch time on each one was incredibly quick.

I tested a 1080p YouTube video in Safari and got really choppy playback, but I've heard this is a Safari/Flash issue on the instore models and that 1080p youtube videos work fine in Chrome, which is what I use anyway. Still, it's worrying that there is a fairly common use-case that is too taxing for the CPU. The same video worked fine on the MBA 13.3".

Still, the thinness and lightness of the MBA kind of makes the MBP 13" seem like a giant. I can't say for sure that the visit has sold me on the 11.6" MBA, but it's certainly making me think twice about the MBP after seeing them in comparison.

There've been some interesting reports coming in over the weekend that games like COD4: MW2, Left 4 Dead 2, Starcraft 2, and WoW are all playable without issues, albeit on low-medium settings. I'm interested seeing some benchmarks and some more specific scenarios, but if benchmarks continue to show that low-end gaming is doable, while the thing screams with general coding/photo editing/internet/media tasks, I just may end up ordering one. It's a pretty significant upgrade over my late-2007 Macbook, and early reports are that heat generated by the thing is practically non-existent. The hottest it gets appears to be "kind of warm, I guess" with 3D gaming, and that's pretty goddamn awesome compared to the leg-searing temperatures of the standard MB and MBP.
    Great impressions, thanks. As soon as my iPad sells, I'm picking up the 11" model. I'm debating whether or not to spring for the extra 2 gb of RAM though. Do you know how much was in the model you tested out? And was it the 1.4 GHz CPU or the 1.6?

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Great impressions, thanks. As soon as my iPad sells, I'm picking up the 11" model. I'm debating whether or not to spring for the extra 2 gb of RAM though. Do you know how much was in the model you tested out? And was it the 1.4 GHz CPU or the 1.6?
    It was the 1.4GHz at 2GB RAM -- it's the only configuration they have of the 11's in-store. If you want 4GB/1.6, you need to order it online.

Which is pretty much the only thing that stopped me from walking out of the store with one this morning.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Now you guys have me debating selling my iPad for one as well...damn you

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ....still holding out for iPad II

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

iPad II: The Wrath of Jobs?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Personally, I don't really think the iPad 2 will be a huge jump. I guess we'll see what happens, but I'd expect 512MB, and a potentially-beefier processor, but the iPad is already super quick. Unless you really plan on using the front and/or rear cameras that will probably be added for FaceTime, hardware updates will probably be fairly incremental.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Personally, I don't really think the iPad 2 will be a huge jump. I guess we'll see what happens, but I'd expect 512MB, and a potentially-beefier processor, but the iPad is already super quick. Unless you really plan on using the front and/or rear cameras that will probably be added for FaceTime, hardware updates will probably be fairly incremental.

That's going to potentially be huge for me, being physically separated from my girlfriend/family. I really hope its done well. It could stand to gain a USB port as well.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

That's going to potentially be huge for me, being physically separated from my girlfriend/family. I really hope its done well. It could stand to gain a USB port as well.

What I sort of really want is an SD card slot; I have a DSLR and a need to review pics at a decent size on location. If the second iPad doesn't have one it'll be the new Air for sure.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

What I sort of really want is an SD card slot; I have a DSLR and a need to review pics at a decent size on location. If the second iPad doesn't have one it'll be the new Air for sure.

Why not just buy the SD card adapter for 30 bucks?

I don't think they'll ever build one into the unit when they already offer it as an accessory.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I really doubt they'll change anything as drastic as adding of removing ports. Physically, my guess is that the only change will be a camera on the front, and maybe one on the back as well. Perhaps redesigned volume buttons to match the iPhone 4, and some updated specs like monoxide said.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I didn't expect something as big as the iPhone 4 when we had just gotten a pretty sizable hardware upgrade in the 3GS so I think it's plausible the next iPad could be something worth waiting for.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I didn't expect something as big as the iPhone 4 when we had just gotten a pretty sizable hardware upgrade in the 3GS so I think it's plausible the next iPad could be something worth waiting for.

Except that platform uniformity is important in the iOS lineup. They aren't going to play a ping pong game with themselves every year where they introduce a brand new, huge upgrade in the iPad, then one-up it with the iPhone, then one-up that with the iPad, etc.

I'm sure the release schedule will become more clear after we see what the iPad 2.0 does, but if you look at past iPhone and iPod Touch releases, one thing is abundantly clear -- there's never been a very large leap from the last generation, because apps still have to run on the last few generations of devices. When the 3GS came out, it was an improvement over the 3G, but not dramatically so. The iPhone 4 is faster than the 3GS, but again, not so much that 3GS owners are dumping their phones to buy iPhone 4's (unless they're easily swayed by the form factor or the cameras).

I'm sure the iPad 2 will be an improvement over the first iPad, but I don't expect it to be anything groundbreaking. If they make any large changes aside from the expected cameras and potentially a higher resolution display (but not definitely, as large high-density displays are still expensive, and it would introduce splintering, and 4.2 already changes font rendering to make the display seem more on-par with the iPhone 4's despite the difference in pixel density), I'd bet on either a CDMA or dual-band GSM/CDMA version being sold at Verizon to replace the current WiFi+MiFi package.

oh, and they'll probably have larger storage capacities, as usual.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I remember the 3GS being a pretty significant upgrade over the 3G, particularly in application loading speed and performance. There were quite a few videos showcasing the difference between the two devices. The 4 was not as big of an upgrade that the 3GS was in terms of performance.

My perspective is basically I find it difficult to predict what Apple is capable of so although I'm not sure how the iPad might be upgraded I think Apple will probably think of something that would make me prefer the next iPad over the current one. I'm not saying it's likely that it will get a significant upgrade. I think it's even likely Apple might make an incremental upgrade to the device and ride on the wave the've created for themselves and the third iPad will get the big upgrade. But since I'm not super interested in the iPad right now I think it's worth it for me to wait to see if they add something new to the next version that would make me interested.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I remember the 3GS being a pretty significant upgrade over the 3G, particularly in application loading speed and performance. There were quite a few videos showcasing the difference between the two devices. The 4 was not as big of an upgrade that the 3GS was in terms of performance.

The move to OpenGL ES 2.0 and programmable shaders alone was pretty significant.

Fats on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    t monoxide: did you try any 1080p video in html5 on youtube, or is that not possible?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I wasn't very jazzed about OS X 10.7.

Until I just read that after all these years, we will finally be able to resize windows from any corner.

Welcome to the 1980s, Apple.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    t monoxide: did you try any 1080p video in html5 on youtube, or is that not possible?

I didn't try. I'd expect it to run really smoothly. HD video in QuickTime works fine since it's hardware accelerated.

this guy says 1080p MKVs worked fine in VLC: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1035933

Monoxide on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    I just want to know why you want to run 1080p videos on this thing...

Hell, with storage being the premium it is, I would rather transcode the videos from a larger computer somewhere else.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    I just want to know why you want to run 1080p videos on this thing...

Hell, with storage being the premium it is, I would rather transcode the videos from a larger computer somewhere else.

Probably when using an external monitor or hooking it up to a TV. No one said they need to be locally stored on the laptop.

Also, I think it's an important question because it's a pretty common task that slower PCs and notebooks struggle with. It's hard to spend $1200-1400 on a laptop without knowing it'll be at least somewhat futureproof, and the fact that it has trouble doing anything is worth knowing if it's going to fit into your potential use cases.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    http://www.macworld.com/article/154596/2010/10/macbookair_benchmarks.html

These MBA benchmarks are really impressive

but they're also making it even harder to decide between the 11" and 13"

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I went and played with one if the 11" MBAs at the Apple Store yesterday. I am smitten.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sooo I'm becoming a MacWhore slowly but surely. My friend is selling her iPhone 3G on the cheap. How 'slow' does it really run when its updated? It's unlocked and jailbroken so I suppose I could do whatever to it, but I'm not sure if it'd work ok.

Also, all my contacts are on google (gmail). Can I import those to the iphone via a CSV file or something?

Also: I had a Macbook which I sold before I moved to Portugal. Worst idea ever. Thankfully my Mini should come in this week or next!

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    Sooo I'm becoming a MacWhore slowly but surely. My friend is selling her iPhone 3G on the cheap. How 'slow' does it really run when its updated? It's unlocked and jailbroken so I suppose I could do whatever to it, but I'm not sure if it'd work ok.

Also, all my contacts are on google (gmail). Can I import those to the iphone via a CSV file or something?

It will be slower than a 3GS, and you will not get multitasking as Apple offs it (you a can use jailbreak's backgrounder, but your performance and battery will absolutely suffer)

You can do full push sync with all your google stuff, no need for CSVs or anything like that. Make a change on google, watch it update on your phone. magic

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    syndalis wrote: »

It will be slower than a 3GS, and you will not get multitasking as Apple offs it (you a can use jailbreak's backgrounder, but your performance and battery will absolutely suffer)

You can do full push sync with all your google stuff, no need for CSVs or anything like that. Make a change on google, watch it update on your phone. magic

Looks like I might be grabbing it then. Can never have too many phones right?

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ug. Methinks the airport card in my Mac Pro is dying...

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, the auction on my iPad ends in 40 minutes and its not even up go $800 yet. C'mon, I can't buy an Air with that...

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Don't iPads retail at $830, max?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, but it's a package deal. iPad 3G 64 GB, Apple Bluetooth keyboard, iPad dock, and unopened bodyguardz skins for front and back. I was hoping to get at least $850 for the whole deal, but I'm not too sure that's going to happen.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone else picked one up yet? I'm probably going to get mine today or tomorrow. I was originally going to order it online and get 4 GB of RAM, but after further consideration and playing with one in a store, I think that 2 will do me fine.

Anyone who has bought one have any impressions yet?

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I just got an iPhone 4 last week because my 3G was unusable with iOS4. Regular app crashes, regular phone crashes, ridiculously short battery life (even after restoring it)... maybe it's different with a jailbroken phone, but from my experience, and the experience of a few friends with the older phone, Apple broke the 3G with iOS4.

But hey, I sold the piece of junk for $165 to a guy who refurbs 'em and re-sells 'em in Europe, so it practically paid for my new phone. And now I know not to update my phone after 2 hardware revisions...

jimb213 on