As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »
    pots+pans wrote: »
    I don't really play games on my macbook anymore so this morning I deleted Steam. However, all of the shortcuts/icons to games are still showing up in Launchpad. None of the games are showing up in Finder and dragging the icons into trash doesn't work either.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could get rid of them? I'm sure I'm being an idiot but if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it!

Had this problem with something else recently -- hold down your mouse button/trackpad click on the icon in Launchpad. It will do something similar to IOS where everything starts jiggling and a little x appears. Just use the x to delete them.

Annoyingly the 'x' appears next to every icon except the ones for the games! Haha
    htm wrote: »
    pots+pans wrote: »
    I don't really play games on my macbook anymore so this morning I deleted Steam. However, all of the shortcuts/icons to games are still showing up in Launchpad. None of the games are showing up in Finder and dragging the icons into trash doesn't work either.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could get rid of them? I'm sure I'm being an idiot but if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it!

Did you actually fully delete all your Steam games? If you just tossed the Steam app in your trash, then all the games are still there. You need to delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/ folder, too.

Yeah, fully deleted the games. Thanks anyway guys.

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    Anyone know a good way to stick the feet back on a mid-2009 MacBook Pro?

I'm thinking some kind of superglue type solution but don't know how effective that will be with the aluminum case and rubber (plastic?) feet.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Wezoin wrote: »
    Anyone know a good way to stick the feet back on a mid-2009 MacBook Pro?

I'm thinking some kind of superglue type solution but don't know how effective that will be with the aluminum case and rubber (plastic?) feet.

Apparently, apple supplies a special glue for that. You can read their foot replacement guide here.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Picked up a 13" MacBook Pro today. It's replacing a mid-2011 MacBook Air. I really like the 13" size, but I wanted more oomph and the retina display. I was able to sell the Air for a reasonable price, so I didn't pay an arm and a leg for the Pro upgrade.

I really like the keyboard on this a lot more than I liked my Air keyboard.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Picked up a 13" MacBook Pro today. It's replacing a mid-2011 MacBook Air. I really like the 13" size, but I wanted more oomph and the retina display. I was able to sell the Air for a reasonable price, so I didn't pay an arm and a leg for the Pro upgrade.

Are the keyboards actually different? Pretty much every Apple laptop in recent memory except the new 12" MacBook have had the same keyboard.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Do the new non super thin models have the new fancy scissor keys?

• Options
    Do the new non super thin models have the new fancy scissor keys?

No. The new keys are only in the new MacBook and the iPad Pro Smart Keyboard.

• Options
    htm wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Are the keyboards actually different? Pretty much every Apple laptop in recent memory except the new 12" MacBook have had the same keyboard.

This one feels a lot, hmm...clickier? to me. Maybe it's just newer and hasn't been broken in yet like my a Air keyboard had.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    For those of you who use ad-blockers, a couple of weeks ago, Adguard's ad blocking Safari extension was released. It's apparently the first Mac Safari ad blocker that uses Safari's new content blocking API that was introduced in 10.11.

I've been using it for a bit and it's nice. Feels a bit faster and seems like it does a better job of fixing up page layouts after the ads are elided.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I'm going to be giving my 2009 MBP to my sister, however before I do so I'm going to replace the SSD I put in it with a new, larger, SSD so she'll basically have a fresh (ancient) computer.

When I get around to eventually buying a new one (once the MBPs refresh), how would I go about accessing the data on the SSD I'm removing?

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    You should be able to get a bus-powered USB->SATA enclosure for it. After that, I assume it's plug-and-play.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, there are dozens of variants on the concept of "USB SATA caddy" or "enclosure" or "dock" etc. available and they are pretty much plug and play. There's no real difference* between USB or SATA on Mac vs PC so the only relevant component is the data on the drive. And that's already HFS+ since you ripped the drive out of another Mac so you're golden.

* In data rates or control signals. I make no claims about power.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Okay, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Completely forgot those were things.

Thanks guys!

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I just realized how much more battery efficient Safari is versus Chrome. It's actually straight up ridiculous.

Sadly the plugin community for Safari really leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't help that Apple is now charging people to develop free extensions for them.

I sadly think I'll have to return to Chrome, but I'll probably switch between Chrome and Safari when I am trying to conserve battery.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    triathtriath Registered User regular
    I actually just ditched Chrome for Safari on my iMac. Not sure if I will stay with Safari but honestly it's just been a smoother and more enjoyable experience somehow so far. I was never extension heavy in Chrome so the 3-4 important ones I was able to find. The tabs taking up the full width of the window irritates me though but I have found a few 'fixes' that involve extensions I just haven't cared enough to do it yet I suppose.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    triath wrote: »
    I actually just ditched Chrome for Safari on my iMac. Not sure if I will stay with Safari but honestly it's just been a smoother and more enjoyable experience somehow so far. I was never extension heavy in Chrome so the 3-4 important ones I was able to find. The tabs taking up the full width of the window irritates me though but I have found a few 'fixes' that involve extensions I just haven't cared enough to do it yet I suppose.

The way I see it, there are two ecosystems at play on iOS/OSX.

The "core" ecosystem, which involves safari, siri, maps, mail, iMessage, calendar, reminders, etc...

And the "shadow" OS which is chrome, gmail, google now, google maps, etc.

Mixing and matching from those two worlds is a terrible pain in the ass. But both do get the job done.

I don't use Chrome on desktop because I do not use Chrome on mobile, and sharing history and tabs and stuff between all of my devices is really nice. I am sure if I had an android device I would use Chrome on my Mac.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    I must be a real weirdo using Firefox/Onedrive/Google Calendar on both my PC and Mac.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    Time to update the thread title, macOS is upon us.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    macOS 10.12 review,

meh

EDIT:

Updating XCode may take awhile....

yp5apfwxi53m.png

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I am enjoying the update a lot, to be honest, but it seems to be at its best if you are 100% in the ecosystem.

My watch unlocks my computer, handoff does more, iCloud Drive may very well replace dropbox for me for most things, and I freed up like 50 gigs of storage on my MacBook Air, which desperately needed it.

also, tabbed everything is great. I have three keynotes open and moving stuff between them and its awesome.

It's not a world changing update, but its a bunch of nice additions if you use the rest of their devices and services.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Also the backend stuff they're moving around to make room for the new file system is interesting, even if it's not production grade quite yet. Systemwide incremental file versioning regardless of app support and with near-zero space overhead is gonna be awesome.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    The space saver feature is pretty awesome. I haven't taken the leap to putting all my docs in the iCloud but having utilities to help you free up space is nice. I was already using Disk Inventory X to help find large files but Apple having built in tools is a step in the right direction.

Also just installing it freed up about 8 gigs on my HD so kudos on them for going the right direction with system install size.

The biggest feature for me is being able to sort folders before files in Finder. It's something I've never adjusted to on a Mac and it's a game changer.

Now all they need to do is add sane directory merging to Finder and it will be pretty alright.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am enjoying the update a lot, to be honest, but it seems to be at its best if you are 100% in the ecosystem.
    And if your only Apple product is a solitary laptop, it's completely underwhelming.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've been getting a lot of random crashes since I upgraded. Mostly when I try and restore the laptop from sleep, I get a crash and restart of the system.

So be warned, might be worth holding off for a little if you are on the fence.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Two questions:
    • What's the preferred option for running Windows in a VM?
    • Can I run my Bootcamp installation in said VM?

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Oh, by the way... it's happening:
    s7mozr4t3tmt.jpg

xbwk0mz5dhv5.jpg

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    looks like they're at least putting in 2 USB C ports

having worked with the MacBook with one its awful. If you have a real desk setup you end up with a asinine daisy chain of like 4 adapters

• Options
    Jesus finally. I've been without a laptop for a couple months now and I think I'd like to change that.

• Options
    Maybe we'll finally get a 13" MBP with an i7. I don't want a 15" MBP, I love my 13", but I want an i7.

• Options
    edited October 2016

having worked with the MacBook with one its awful. If you have a real desk setup you end up with a asinine daisy chain of like 4 adapters

there will be 4 usb c ports, all 3.1 with thunderbolt 3, actually.

Which is more than enough for me. I will probably have one of those USB type a adapters that clip on to the side of the laptop for legacy stuff, but four ports with that kind if speed is more than enough.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

there will be 4 usb c ports, all 3.1 with thunderbolt 3, actually.

Which is more than enough for me. I will probably have one of those USB type a adapters that clip on to the side of the laptop for legacy stuff, but four ports with that kind if speed is more than enough.

Even just 2 USB c ports is good, take note when updating the 12 inch MacBook Apple!

• Options
    I started Operation Swap Optical Drive For An SSD in my 2012 MacBook Pro but one screw is giving me trouble and I quit before I stripped the head. Buying better screwdrivers tomorrow.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    I started Operation Swap Optical Drive For An SSD in my 2012 MacBook Pro but one screw is giving me trouble and I quit before I stripped the head. Buying better screwdrivers tomorrow.

I used needle nosed pliers when I was moving to SSDs on my and my sister's laptops since I dont have the proper screwdriver (torx? its been a while). Worked pretty well for me.

• Options
    This is a plain old Phillips head, it's just my screwdriver being shit.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

I used needle nosed pliers when I was moving to SSDs on my and my sister's laptops since I dont have the proper screwdriver (torx? its been a while). Worked pretty well for me.

i think macbook used to be a T-2 head

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    lpb3cfkxhxag.jpg

And this is no artist rendering, this came right out of the resource files for macOS Sierra. It's real.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    It's aliiiiive

tyskbfpvin9y.png

Now to figure out how to install a fresh Sierra on it. Can I get an USB image or something?

edit: or maybe I can just install it from the original install without bothering with an USB stick.

Echo on
  • Options
    http://diskmakerx.com

this takes all the hassle out of making a boot usb for mac.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    I'm just installing it to the SSD from the original install now.