As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel January 2011 Solicits

HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Graphic Violence
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-january-2011-solicitations-1010210.html

The new X-Event sounds like it could be cool, although it will probably just be a continuity-drowned throwback to Age of Apocalypse or Onslaught or something.

Ultimate Spider-Man is back up to 3.99 apparently, which means I will be letting go of it after December.

The Hood is going after the Infinity Gauntlet and the only way to stop him is Red Hulk in Avengers, which also sounds like a book I will be dropping soon.

There is so much Thor stuff going on that I can't mentally sort it all.

It seems like the majority of these books are still at 3.99, so that is depressing.

And just look at those hardcover prices! $25 for 5 issues? That's more expensive than the singles. It seems 4 issues is now the standard for a $20 hardcover, which is horribly disappointing.

On the other hand, a lot of the new Cap projects sound wicked, and I dig secret avengers.

Fraction's work on Thor and Iron Man sounds really keen, but I will wait for trades there.

HadjiQuest on

• Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Andy Diggle starts Daredevil: Reborn, a 4-issue miniseries about Daredevil being reborn I guess.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Someone on the newsarama forums pointed out that there are 10 new series, and 7 of them are minis with the $3.99 price point.

In addition, Fantastic Four has no page count solicited but is now priced at $3.99 as well, suggesting that the prices of their books are actually still increasing. I am pretty pissed about this whole situation, and I am most likely going to drop the last few marvel books I still pick up as the months go on.

HadjiQuest on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, no kidding on that price "change" BS. If I were still buying singles, they'd be 2.99 titles only.

Honestly, though, not a lot on that list tickled my fancy. I think, though, that I've been convinced to re-up my X-Factor subscription.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well I guess it's a good thing there isn't much I want to get in January considering my Air Force thing but I'll probably get the Hawkeye and Mockingbird trade in February. I'll wait till and the Avengers stuff is in trade format along with the Dan Slott Spidey stuff.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited October 2010
    I really think I might be down to just Deadpool MAX, Fantastic Four, and Secret Avengers once current arcs finish for all my other marvel books. Those are the only books holding my attention enough to justify their price tags. I'd like to read some of the books I drop and the minis in trade, but their trade prices are so expensive now that I can't even justify doing that. I really want to read some of these Cap minis, the new Ultimate minis, Thor ongoing and Mighty Avenger, and Invincible Iron Man, but I just can't afford it when the trades cost just as much or more than the singles.

I was going to drop a ton of DC books as well, but when they lowered the prices it more became a matter of holding on for another couple months, and then even being able to add a couple more books on.

HadjiQuest on
    edited October 2010
    I may get Ultimate Cap book because Jason Aaron is the man, and Pet Avengers and Ultimate Thor are both ending that month. But other than that the only ongoings I'm getting are Thor and Thor: Mighty Avenger.

Futt Bucker on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Someone on the newsarama forums pointed out that there are 10 new series, and 7 of them are minis with the $3.99 price point.

In addition, Fantastic Four has no page count solicited but is now priced at $3.99 as well, suggesting that the prices of their books are actually still increasing. I am pretty pissed about this whole situation, and I am most likely going to drop the last few marvel books I still pick up as the months go on.

I'm thought they already said that FF was going to be $3.99 at NYCC because it was the conclusion of "Three" and it was coming in a black bag, yada yada yada. I don't see it being a permanent price change.

cardboard delusions on
    edited October 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

I'm thought they already said that FF was going to be $3.99 at NYCC because it was the conclusion of "Three" and it was coming in a black bag, yada yada yada. I don't see it being a permanent price change.

Ok, cool. I am happy about that, then, since it's my favorite Marvel book right now.

HadjiQuest on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Some vaguely interesting things on there. Hopefully there will be series coming out of Chaos War, it'll be a damn shame otherwise.

Solar on
    edited October 2010
    Ok, by my count the number of $3.99 titles is 54 and the number of $2.99 titles is 29. On the DC side, the number of $2.99 titles is 73 and the number of $3.99 titles is 6. One of these companies is doing an actual price drop and the other one is talking about it but not making much meaningful headway.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I guess if I gave a rat's ass about prices I'd be upset but instead I'm just looking at stuff I want! The new Amazing Spider-Man arc sounds good, an actual epilogue for Thanos Imperative, Heroes for Hire, Spider-Girl, god I hope they don't kill off Rockslide in the new Uncanny X-Men arc.

Furu on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Didn't he get ripped apart by Hulk and reconstitute himself

How do you kill someone that can do that

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    THE THANOS IMPERATIVE: DEVASTATION #1

Written by DAN ABNETT & ANDY LANNING
    Penciled by MIGUEL SEPULVEDA
    Cover by ALEX GARNER
    THE THANOS IMPERATIVE is over...but who and what has survived? What happened to Thanos? What about Lord Mar-Vell and the Cancerverse? Who rules the Kree and the Shi’Ar? Is anyone left to guard the galaxy? And who will hold the shattered civilizations of the Marvel Universe together in this bleak new age? Find out from the creative team that delivered the cosmic event that IGN.com hailed as “Unbelievably incredible & unimaginably entertaining.”

108_the_thanos_imperative__devestation_1_02.jpg

Welll....this doesn't look good for Nova and GOG.

Karl on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wish they would stop putting IGN and aint it cool news reviews in solicits and on covers

Nobody gives a butt about their comic reviews

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    heehee, they misspelled Devastation on the cover

Antimatter on
    edited October 2010
    One thing I do notice in that list is only 4 Deadpool books, and 2 or those are the main series being double shipped. So finally the whole Deadpool mania thing is settling down.

Oops, didn't notice Deadpool MAX but that's a non-continuity title.

wirehead26 on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, it's replaced by Thor and Cap overload.

wwtMask on
    edited October 2010
    Thor is everywhere. So many books about him right now, and honestly it's a little too much.

Solar on
    edited October 2010
    Most of the Thor titles seem to have great creative teams at least.

wirehead26 on
    edited October 2010
    It's still way too much. I understand trying to capitalize on the movie, but the number of Thor books is out of hand.

wwtMask on
    edited October 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    It's still way too much. I understand trying to capitalize on the movie, but the number of Thor books is out of hand.

Dude when Spider-Man 2 came out there were four Doctor Octopus storylines running.

Of course this was going to happen.

Furu on
    edited October 2010
    Seriously, just count the number of Thor books though.

Then try to figure out the story to each one, what is official canon, what is semi-canon, what is an alternate retelling, and what is an alternate universe. It's fucking crazy!

The Cap ones all at least make a little more sense, there are a couple fewer, less are ongoing, and the creative teams are slightly more recognizable to me.

HadjiQuest on
    edited October 2010
    I'm still figuring out whether Thor: TMA is a retelling or an AU title. I'm going for AU since there's a 4 issue mini that is an "official" retelling.

wirehead26 on
    edited October 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm still figuring out whether Thor: TMA is a retelling or an AU title. I'm going for AU since there's a 4 issue mini that is an "official" retelling.

Only if AU stands for Awesome Universe.

Futt Bucker on
    edited October 2010
    It is a fantastic series isn't it? Such great art.

wirehead26 on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Greg Land sure got a lot of work this month

MastaP on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Speaking of, he's done another cover for Thunderbolts, which is yet another freakin crossover. When are they going to settle into a fucking story line for that series?!

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Eh, the Thunderbolts January issue seems more like an "unofficial" crossover. Since Jeff Parker is writing both Hulk and Thunderbolts maybe this was his idea?

wirehead26 on
    edited October 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    It is a fantastic series isn't it? Such great art.

My favourite ongoing right now, seeing as they cancelled (sorrt, "put on hiatus") pretty much all the other books I love.

Solar on
    edited October 2010
    Looking at the Thunderbolts 150 and 151 solicits it seems Parker is structuring them as one-shot stories so 152 being a one-shot dealing with what's happening in Hulk makes sense.

wirehead26 on
    edited October 2010
    Has he managed to put the Agents into either book yet?

wwtMask on
    edited October 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Has he managed to put the Agents into either book yet?

Not yet, although he did put the AoA in the first Thunderbolts story he wrote, issues 138-140 I think. Don't get me wrong I love the AoA but I hope Parker resists the urge to cram them in everything he writes from now on.

wirehead26 on
    edited October 2010
    The editors make him use the Agents

Furu on
    edited October 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    The editors make him use the Agents

Really? Well I guess there are worse characters for the Marvel editors to be fans of.

wirehead26 on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    On the flipside of that, I wonder if editors are always urging Frank Tieri to use Mr. X.

Munch on
    edited October 2010
    WTF, Marvel

That kind of pisses me off.

HadjiQuest on
    edited October 2010
    Trying really super hard to care.

Furu on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haha yeah, same boat. A dollar is nothing when the charge over 10 for cigarettes, and those were way harder to quit than comics.

cardboard delusions on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Casanova and Incognito look cool. Are they both new? I'm confused.

DouglasDanger on
    edited October 2010
    Casanova and Incognito look cool. Are they both new? I'm confused.

The first Incognito was back in 2008 I think. Pulp-superhero stuff by Brubaker and Phillips. It was pretty badass.

Futt Bucker on