As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XBLA] Thread - Monaco out soon, DuckTales HD this summer.

SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
edited June 2013 in Games and Technology
Xbox Live Arcade - What is it?
XBLA is a digital distribution service for the Xbox 360. It contains many smaller or niche games that wouldn't necessarily warrant a full retail release, but are still worthy of your valuable gaming time. There are also many ports of older games, ranging from 80s arcade classics all the way to the last generation of consoles. Some arcade titles are considered to be among the best in the entire 360 library.

Oh yeah, which ones?
-Shadow Complex
-'Splosion Man
-Braid
-Trials HD
-Castle Crashers
-Geometry Wars (get the second one)
-Pac-Man Championship Edition (the sequel is now out, some still prefer the original -- grab both demos and decide for yourself)
-Limbo
-Perfect Dark
-Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
-Monday Night Combat
-Super Meat Boy

But don't take my word for it, check out these PA Forum recommendations:
-pablo_price: "The Maw, Chime & A Kingdom for Keflings are all fun, relaxing games."
-MrVyngaard: "OP is lacking mention of Bionic Commando Rearmed. A crime, I tell you sirs."
-fraglefart: "OP needs more Monday Night Combat, Comic Jumper, Castle Crashers, Pinball FX, Space Giraffe, Perfect Dark, Heavy Weapon : Atomic Tank, Rocket Riot etc. etc. etc. I could go on for a while..."
-Undead Scotsman: "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light needs to be added to the OP list. I can't rave enough about that game."
-Arteen: "OP needs Marble Blast Ultra, Defense Grid, and N+."
-

Sounds good, but I'd like to save some money.
Well, Microsoft runs a Deal of the Week program that is limited to Live Gold members. Sometimes there are great deals on arcade titles, sometimes there are light discounts on retail game DLC.

Week of whatever:
just check the CAG thread about it, they're more thorough than i ever was

Xbox Rewards Program:
Sign up at rewards.xbox.com to earn free microsoft points for completing surveys, purchasing certain marketplace content, etc.
January DotM: Earn up to 200 msp when you play/buy kinect fitness titles?

Gamestop Digital Download Cards:
Gamestop now sells download codes for many XBLA Games/DLC. Some of them for less than they usually cost on the marketplace. Games like:
-Super Meat Boy for $10
-Plants vs. Zombies for $10 (in store, it's $15 online)
-and more, check here to see what they have available.

Free Games:
-Hexic HD - Is already on your hard drive. Unless you deleted it like a chump. In which case you can redownload it.
-Aegis Wing - Use your spaceship to blow up other spaceships. I think some students or interns or something developed this game and the man didn't want to pay them for it, so it's free.
-Doritos Crash Course - Use your avatar to navigate obstacle courses. Pretty Fun.
-Harm's Way - Co-Op racing game. One player drives the car, the other mans a gun turret to take out the competition.
-Kinect Fun Labs - Various toys and tech demos for the kinect.
-Crash Course 2 - It's a bigger and better version of Crash Course, now with microtransactions!
-Happy Wars - it's a f2p multiplayer game. ...some people say it's kinda like Awesomenaus?

Are there other downloadable games for my 360?
There sure are! Other titles in the marketplace include:
-Xbox Originals - OXbox titles for when you want your eyes to hurt.
-360 Games on Demand - For when you want to pay full retail price for a game that costs $4 at gamestop.
-Xbox Indie Games - Small $1-3 titles made by independent developers. Some of them are even on this forum! Indie games has its own thread here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=128177

SaraLuna on

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nice work Pablo!

Looking at the OP makes me sad that Snoopy didn't get more love, that game was fun.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is Halloween
    Grab the candy on the screen
    Trick-or-Treat till a monster tries to pick a fight:whistle:

1042501.gif

Also, Dr. Fetus of Super Meat Boy is a complete and utter monster. D:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nice work Pablo!

Looking at the OP makes me sad that Snoopy didn't get more love, that game was fun.

To be fair, who would have thought a Snoopy game would have been awesome?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Nice work Pablo!

Among people who glance at a "Classic Peanuts" comic strip in the Sunday Funnies by accident while looking for "Pearls Before Swine?" Nobody.

But if you happened to discover that Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown can be watched from beginning to end in ten minute clips on YouTube, and you discovered that your wife had never seen it, and you sat one evening and watched it with her long enough to recollect that not only is it cute, it's actually legitimately funny in some parts, most of which tend to involve Snoopy? Then you're not nearly as surprised.

SammyF on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OP is lacking mention of Bionic Commando Rearmed. A crime, I tell you sirs.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    XBLA <3

OP needs more Monday Night Combat, Comic Jumper, Castle Crashers, Pinball FX, Space Giraffe, Perfect Dark, Heavy Weapon : Atomic Tank, Rocket Riot etc. etc. etc. I could go on for a while...

Best thing to happen to gaming since forever, man.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Nice work Pablo!

Yeah, not even me until I saw some reviews of it :(

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light needs to be added to the OP list. I can't rave enough about that game.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    OP is lacking mention of Bionic Commando Rearmed. A crime, I tell you sirs.

Agreed, Rearmed is better then all the other games in the OP combined just for the Commando remix... And the solid gameplay I guess, but mostly the Commando thing.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OP needs Marble Blast Ultra, Defense Grid, and N+.

Arteen on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, I picked up Comic Jumper this weekend and holy shit is that game hard! I am getting absolutely smoked on the Conan-esque level where you slide down and then have to move the cursor over the screen and shoot things! God damn!

Really funny game though, the entire first level was pure joy!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    So, I picked up Comic Jumper this weekend and holy shit is that game hard! I am getting absolutely smoked on the Conan-esque level where you slide down and then have to move the cursor over the screen and shoot things! God damn!

That game is a nightmare unless you upgrade.

After you beat a level, disregard the challenges you failed. They will become selectable individually in the Comic Jumper chair, so you can complete them and upgrade your health, melee, and dakka.

I'm in the 60's comic and this shit is a nightmare, but I just upgraded my gun some more.

Cantido on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light needs to be added to the OP list.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for taking this over, I've been so busy that I barely have time to wrangle the iPhone thread, let alone keep up with the other half of my crippling digital distro addiction. :(

I bought Comic Jumper to take advantage of that "spend 2400 points, get 800 back" promo -- I had heard mixed results about the game mechanics itself, and it does seem a little wonky with its shooting and other action-platformer trappings, but goddamn, Twisted Pixel has such personality and humor that I bought it almost purely to continue listening to the dialogue and banter. Hilarious; I was already a fan after the Maw and Splosion Man, but this cements them as one of my favorite modern developers.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Comic Jumper was enjoyable. The gameplay bits got a bit repetitive and boring, but it's the humor and story that made the game worth working through.

Talking to the characters in the base is one of the highlights of the game.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nobody seems to have mentioned it yet but, especially with next week's discounts, I'd recommend trying out Blade Kitten.

Now, stop laughing! It's a suprisingly decent platformer, a little bit like the old Strider games.

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pac-Man: Championship Edition is indeed one of the best XBLA games ever, but the sequel is supposed to come out next month so I'd hold out for that version instead if by some reason you haven't purchased it yet.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Lara Croft DLC and Co-op patch are out, finally. Didn't check to see what the DLC is though.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hydro Thunder Hurricane got some DLC today. 400 points gets you three new tracks, I think 2 new boats and new varients of all the pro and novice boats that are good enough to race against expert ones.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pinball FX2 released today, damned incredible stuff.

Here's the thread for it;

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=17090189#post17090189

Go buy it people - it's free! (sort of!)

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Jelly JigglerJelly Jiggler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    GOD FUCKING DAMMIT!!!

your telling me the $10 RB2 import i bought to get to 2400 microsoft points spent doesn't fucking count towards the total?great.that means i have to spend another 10 fucking dollars.

Jelly Jiggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    GOD FUCKING DAMMIT!!!

your telling me the $10 RB2 import i bought to get to 2400 microsoft points spent doesn't fucking count towards the total?great.that means i have to spend another 10 fucking dollars.

On the plus side, there are a tonne of killer XBLA titles out recently.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone try out the free Lara Croft DLC? How is it?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    DrunkMc wrote: »

That game is a nightmare unless you upgrade.

After you beat a level, disregard the challenges you failed. They will become selectable individually in the Comic Jumper chair, so you can complete them and upgrade your health, melee, and dakka.

I'm in the 60's comic and this shit is a nightmare, but I just upgraded my gun some more.

Also:

- Buy a shit ton of the bonus stuff right away, as it adds a multiplier to money you earn in comics or in challenges. The Splosion Man levels are the biggest boost with about 33%. Not only is the bonus stuff awesome, but eventually you'll be earning more money from the multiplier than the normal payout.

- Don't be afraid to backtrack a few feet as opposed to just pushing on forward, give yourself some space.

- If you're really struggling, buy a Help Me, as they also restore your health on use.

- Slide. Maxed out slide (you can slide for ages or just release LB when you want to stop) made things much easier for me.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Noble Six ActualNoble Six Actual Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So wait. I bought all three Red Dead DLC packs at 800 points each. Before they put the 1600 point pack up that had them all in it. I thought I wasted 800 points.

But according to the OP I'll get a 800 point refund next month? I wasn't mad at the wasted points to begin with, because Undead Nightmare is so awesome, but this is even better!

Do I have my facts straight here?

Noble Six Actual on
    XBL: JerichoTwoFour / PSN: ZeroFourThree
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So on the spend 2400 and get 800 free points thing, do buying things for PC GFWL games count? For example buying DLC for Mass Effect 2 on PC?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light needs to be added to the OP list. I can't rave enough about that game.

There is not enough lime to convey the greatness of this game, so I was forced to increase the font size. I'm personally inclined to say it's the best thing on XBLA right now.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So on the spend 2400 and get 800 free points thing, do buying things for PC GFWL games count? For example buying DLC for Mass Effect 2 on PC?

Isn't the DLC for ME2 pc bought with Bioware points not Microsoft points?

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
    Fair enough.
    Bioware points woudn't count towards it. Only items bought with micrsoft points.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I LOVE SUPER MEAT BOY

When I tried the demo I hated it, like the way I hate N+

Fuck unforgiving platformers like that

But the next morning I woke up and I was just like "...Kinda want to play some more of that" so I went through the demo again and then I just bought it

And it is fantastic

I'm scared this will lead to cutting myself just to feel the pain, and eventually a developing interest in erotic asphyxiation

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also Lara Croft was really neat at first but it kinda wore thin on me rather quickly

I'll go back and finish it one day

But I still need to finish Costume Quest and Super Meat Boy and Comic Jumper and

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I also bought Super Meat Boy, yesterday.

While I think it's fun, I have a problem with it.

Either they've made jumping very unresponsive or my controllers A button is having a fit. It feels like I have to wait too long between each time I can make another jump, obviously something that makes this game very difficult.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Honk wrote: »

Either they've made jumping very unresponsive or my controllers A button is having a fit. It feels like I have to wait too long between each time I can make another jump, obviously something that makes this game very difficult.

Something must be wrong. The controls on SMB are designed for precision split-second jumping. If you can't scale a chimney in a half-second by mashing the jump button, something is wrong.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    For the free 800 points deal, I bought Costum Quest, Outrun and Space Invader: Infinity Gene.

Happy with all so far.

Super Meat Boy is the shit too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Add to the list: Deathspank, Scott Pilgrim the Game

Sipex on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I bought Comic Jumper and Blade Kitten for my 2400 points. Not sure why I chose Blade Kitten, but it looks fun. :P

How do I know that they recorded my purchases for the free points?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

Something must be wrong. The controls on SMB are designed for precision split-second jumping. If you can't scale a chimney in a half-second by mashing the jump button, something is wrong.

I figure it's the controllers, I knew before that one of them was messed up but the other one must be getting pretty tired as well (had both since launch).

Still though! Very fun game!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light needs to be added to the OP list.

I'm highlighting the lime color for this to be added to OP. Especially since online co-op went in.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum