As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout New Vegas: Post in the NEW thread, you dorks.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I think they did a much better job with managing money this time around. For awhile I was thinking I had too much, but now I've discovered all these new guns and armor and now I am planning scavenging trips and everything.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    At what point can you join the NCR?

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game is great.

Boone is now my buddy. That was very well done, the whole Boone thing, I think. I need to get the poor guy some armor though!

And REPPCONN is amazing.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game is great.

Boone is now my buddy. That was very well done, the whole Boone thing, I think. I need to get the poor guy some armor though!

And REPPCONN is amazing.

Boone and ED-E turn the game into a carnival shooting adventure.

Get yourself a good rifle and learn how to use iron sights while crouched.

Sneak attack criticals everywhere

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Gonna throw this out there again: where can I find a quest giver from the Legion?

Try poking around here.

Now that I have a companion, I am tempted to just wander and "prospect" and collect weapons.
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/La_Longue_Carabine
    I want that.

Boone is cool, but I really want to partner up with Raul ASAP. I hard companions have their own quests. I kind of want to see what happens with Boone before I move on to Raul.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    re: "That Lucky Old Sun" quest (Helios One power grid thing):
    what do the different power routes do? I wanted to see what ARCHIMEDES II would do, but it seemed to do nothing when I activated it
    Putting it on Vegas and NCR is what Mr Fantastic wants. He takes the credit and you get some XP and NCR rep.

Sending it to the other two towns gets you a little rep from the other guys and some medic supplies.

Sending it to the full grid is what the other guy really wants and gives you a shit ton of his faction rep, the medic supplies, and a big book of science.

The emergency output destroys the grid. The other guys gives you the same as sending it to the other towns as no one can use the tower now.

Archimedes II fires a super laser into the ground, killing all the NCR troopers and giving you negative rep. However after you do it, you can find a kid who has a targeting laser for the satalite and you can call down orbital strikes once a day. I fucking kid you not.

In other news, can you actually join the NCR?

well, I've made my decision

MrDelish on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anybody know if it's possible to get an ammo bench in your Vegas apartment?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Gonna throw this out there again: where can I find a quest giver from the Legion?

Try poking around here.

Yeah, I mean where on the map do I need to go? I'm aware that they're based in "the fort" but I have no idea where that is.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, everytime I try to enter the strip now I get a black screen of death. The glitch seems to be caused by completing the Debt Collector quest.

I'll put this in spoilers just in case, but don't
    kill the old man in the strip for the final part of the quest
    It seems to, on the 360 at least cause the game breaking error.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wish I knew what to do with these star caps

Just keep playing.

Also, for anyone curious they are very VERY rare. But you can get them by drinking the soda. I think 1/8 bottles gives a cap or something. Either way my character has drank so much of that shit his teeth will be pure rotten.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    thefais wrote: »
    This was asked a few pages back, but I didn't see a response.

Any items that you're rewarded for holding on to? Like in Fallout 3 it was Nuka Cola Quantum, or Pre-war books, or whatever. Like specific things you should pick up if you see them in a house no matter what?
    I can't be sure but the star sasparilla caps seem to have some kind of plot. I don't know if it's jsut a joke tho. FYI the drinks themselves are good healing and you get a cap when you drink it.

Yeah, I pick up every Sunset Sasparilla I see and drink them whenever I need to top off my health. Usually I drink two, just to loose the weight, even if I don't need to.
    So far, I've ran into one stranger in the wastes who started talking to me and one of the dialog option was about those Star Caps, but she feigned ignorance then started walking away. So I turn around and she yells "you fool!" and starts shooting me. I guess she was a Star Cap Hunter or something. Pretty neat little encounter, I certainly wasn't expecting it.

I ran into a different encounter relating to those caps.
    A man and a woman started shooting at each other. The woman was yelling at me for help, but the battle is pretty even. If the man dies, the woman loots his body and then thanks you for helping her. She tells you he just started shooting, but if your intelligence is high enough (7) you can discover that she killed him for his cap necklace. She'll then try to attack you to leave no witnesses behind, but this encounter was bugged for me in that she immediately returned to a non-hostile state, thanked me again, and then ran off. If you loot his body, you can read his diary which reveals he was totally oblivious to the value of the caps, and was excited that a woman wanted to travel with him.

If the woman dies, you can convince him with a speech check to give you the necklace. That will get you seven caps, and the woman has three more on her corpse.
    Aegeri wrote:
    Also, for anyone curious they are very VERY rare. But you can get them by drinking the soda. I think 1/8 bottles gives a cap or something. Either way my character has drank so much of that shit his teeth will be pure rotten.

My character just drank 22 of them in a row and got nothing. I think it might just be a percentage chance and it's very low. I have over 20 of those caps now and I think I only got one or two from drinking the soda itself.

And in mod news, I'm tempted to try one that makes nights darker.

Before:
    http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/images/34980-4-1287772316.jpg

After:
    http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/images/34980-3-1287772316.jpg

By default nights are way too bright. That mod should make my night vision sniper rifle scopes and the cateye drink useful.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so ahhh, I friend was asking me, where do you get the supposed bigger breast mod that was mentioned a few pages back. I mean, I don't want that shit hahahaha, but it's for a friend, you know?

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ^ I vote crucifixion.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    On the man/woman caps thing
    If the dude lives and you get there late, he will have added her caps to his necklace.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    2. I don't remember much of a instance in FO3 that was actually "humorus" on a higher level. Mostly it was really dumb stuff.
    3. That said it did portray 15 years after the bombs pretty well, though I have still some grips.

o_O Little. Freaking. Lamplight.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is the bonus perk from "kill x dudes with melee weapons" bugged?

It keeps resetting from 75 on me.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    what do the different power routes do? I wanted to see what ARCHIMEDES II would do, but it seemed to do nothing when I activated it
    Putting it on Vegas and NCR is what Mr Fantastic wants. He takes the credit and you get some XP and NCR rep.

Sending it to the other two towns gets you a little rep from the other guys and some medic supplies.

Sending it to the full grid is what the other guy really wants and gives you a shit ton of his faction rep, the medic supplies, and a big book of science.

The emergency output destroys the grid. The other guys gives you the same as sending it to the other towns as no one can use the tower now.

Archimedes II fires a super laser into the ground, killing all the NCR troopers and giving you negative rep. However after you do it, you can find a kid who has a targeting laser for the satalite and you can call down orbital strikes once a day. I fucking kid you not.

I don't even think you need to kill the NCR there, you just have to set the solar power to divert juice to Archimedes, and you'll even get rep and med stuff from the BoA guy for doing it too... Joke's sure on him.

And about that quest, is it a kid that just pops up, or is it someone I have to find somewhere to get the targeter device?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Finally home from class, time for Doc Powers to get back to the wastes.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I wish I knew what to do with these star caps

Just keep playing.

It probably depends on your lucky score so far as drinking the bottles goes. My chr has high luck (9) so I'll start paying attention to that.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    so ahhh, I friend was asking me, where do you get the supposed bigger breast mod that was mentioned a few pages back. I mean, I don't want that shit hahahaha, but it's for a friend, you know?

I believe you're looking for BEWARE OF GIRL, or something like that. It's under the Models and Textures category on newvegasnexus.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »
    2. I don't remember much of a instance in FO3 that was actually "humorus" on a higher level. Mostly it was really dumb stuff.
    3. That said it did portray 15 years after the bombs pretty well, though I have still some grips.

o_O Little. Freaking. Lamplight.

Where the hell does he get 15 years after the bombs fell?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GalactusGoGalactusGo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://kotaku.com/5670346/review-fallout-new-vegas?skyline=true&s=i

interesting review...seems like someone sunk his teeth into the bugs and couldn't let go. I'm playing the 360 version..am I the only one who has had no technical issues at all??

GalactusGo on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »

I don't even think you need to kill the NCR there, you just have to set the solar power to divert juice to Archimedes, and you'll even get rep and med stuff from the BoA guy for doing it too... Joke's sure on him.

And about that quest, is it a kid that just pops up, or is it someone I have to find somewhere to get the targeter device?

Answering spoiler question
    There's a little black kid chasing a girl around when you enter Freeside through the north/east entrance, he's got a toy gun that is actually what you're looking for. "Stick em up, mister!" "Bang bang bang!"

So, uh, guys.

You should still totally listen to Blackrock Radio.

Just putting that out there.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, the "Less humorous than FO3" complaint is the biggest o_O in my book, but right behind it is the complaint that the voice acting is somehow worse than FO3, never mind some gooses and their Oblivion comparisons. o_O

EDIT: Though I will admit that it probably is a more valid complain than complaining about the MC's Voice actor in AP, who was perfect

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I believe you're looking for BEWARE OF GIRL, or something like that. It's under the Models and Textures category on newvegasnexus.

that's some kind of gun mod it looks like, and I dopn't see itunder textures.......actually, I can never find anything anyone talks about on new vegas nexus..-_-

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PS3 version is working fine for me, couple of small glitches, but no crashes or freezes.

Tulabelle on
  • Options
    GalactusGoGalactusGo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, the "Less humorous than FO3" complaint is the biggest o_O in my book, but right behind it is the complaint that the voice acting is somehow worse than FO3, never mind some gooses and their Oblivion comparisons. o_O

It really reads as someone who intentionally jumped on the lets hate on New Vegas bandwagon. I find that most of the people in that group are fans of FO3 who never got to play Fallout or Fallout 2. New Vegas just feels so much like Fallout, something I didnt really get from FO3.

GalactusGo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    that's some kind of gun mod it looks like, and I dopn't see itunder textures.......actually, I can never find anything anyone talks about on new vegas nexus..-_-
    Files>Top 100> Beware of Girl

It's number 1.

EDIT: There is a Beware of Girl gun mod too, though.

Tulabelle on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I GOT KILLED BY INVINCIBLE DEATHCLAWS AND BANDITS AND MY PERFORMANCE IS AWFUL

THIS GAME IS THE WORST

THE WORST

LOVE IS DEAD

Someone give me my badge of accredited journalism.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    Files>Top 100> Beware of Girl

It's number 1.

A fun side effect is that Obsidian were too lazy to make swimsuits for the pool in the ultra lux. So the standard model would swim in their skivvies. However if you have this mod installed... its a whole nother scene man!

I wish more clothes looked as good as Cass's. Just in general. Her stuff is detailed. Why are there not more worn jeans?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Never thought of that. I've only been as far as Primm, found 3 star caps so far, but none from drinking. My luck is 1 so that could have something to do with it.

Tulabelle on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh god, I just found
    Fisto. I...tried him out.

Also, every time I finish speaking with him after quest completion, I got 10 caps. Bug?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So from reading the vault wiki, if you kill someone stealthily, you do not get bad reputation, which is great for me, since on one of my playthroughs I plan to play an assassin that kills every boss in the Mojave wasteland. That was something I didn't like in Fallout 3 where everyone knew that you killed someone, even though you killed someone alone in their house...

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How on earth do you get your weapons back after leaving a Casino? Only way I've found is to break into their bank and steal them back.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    "That's not a problem, that's a solution."

goddamn right

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    A fun side effect is that Obsidian were too lazy to make swimsuits for the pool in the ultra lux. So the standard model would swim in their skivvies. However if you have this mod installed... its a whole nother scene man!

I wish more clothes looked as good as Cass's. Just in general. Her stuff is detailed. Why are there not more worn jeans?
    And while some people think that nude mod is for pervs, I will say it is very well done. I had it installed on FO3 and it really makes bodies and skin look much better, even when clothed.

It's not like I ran around naked and oogling my cartoon breasts. Much.

Tulabelle on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So thus far I've found that the best method of dealing with creepy-crawly critters is to carry around an Incinerator at all times. I like this thing way better than the FO3 flamer.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

EDIT: Though I will admit that it probably is a more valid complain than complaining about the MC's Voice actor in AP, who was perfect
    Between Yuri Whatshisname doing like half the VA work (or rather, doing half the VA work of anybody with meaningful dialogue that forms the chain of NPC conversation) and that it sounds like some of these other dudes just phoned their shit in I'd actually take Bethesda's work. Yeah it's goofy in a lot of ways, but at least they usually have some really good bits of VA work, whereas I can think of only one dude I like talking to in NV.

Anyway, damn it Obsidian, minor nitpick about Motor-Runner:
    His helmet is marked as a quest item, but the tag/helmet isn't removed once the quest ends, so now I've got this gaudy-ass piece of shit taking up a pound of inventory space. Weak.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm on a posting rampage!!!

Curious about weapon mods. In one of my play throughs Chet had the Varmint Rifle scope, in this one he had the silencer. I'm guessing it's just random, but do they ever get new stuff? I mean, is there any reason to go back to a merchant to see what's new in store or is it always the same?

Tulabelle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I honestly don't get the humor and VA complaints. But then again reviewers are often retarded it seems, missing obvious problems with games like Oblivion and FO3, but highlighting the exact same things in other games. The VA isn't all bad in NV though, it has its moments (a certain robot comes to mind).

Aegeri on