As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: Old thread.

• Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    anyone getting wonky live connection issues?

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Playing drums?

Fine.

Playing drums an hour after taking my sleep aide?

Never again.

Trying to learn pro keyboard an hour and a half after taking my sleep aide?

Won't remember anything in the morning

Posting on the PA Forums 2 hours post sleep time g;night errbody

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Woah woah, are they cutting fucking JOURNEY!??!

This better not fucking be true. >,>

Also, sad if Conventional Lover goes, hopefully they are bringing them back in...for free. >,>

Also, fuck off horrible AC/DC song, I wont miss you!

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Been playing for about 2 hours now, feeling my way through the band customization wankery. Why you can't assign stand-ins to a specific instrument is beyond me.

So far I've only been playing guitar and bass, and I've had a few issues of the game not registering strums and dropping notes. I'm pretty sure it's not my guitar, because I played a little RB2 earlier today and it was fine. I'm using a RB2 Strat, btw.

Anyway, for all you PS3 folks that would like a member, hit me up!

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
  • Options
    XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm hopeful all the RB2 Harmonix songs + Journey will come back with keyboard support in the (near) future. Especially the Harmonix songs. That just doesn't make sense.

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Wait, Any Way You Want It is one of the ones that doesn't export?

FUCKING SHITBALLS.

noooooooooooooo

D:

I will only forgive them if they release a big ass Journey DLC set with that song having keyboard support. Otherwise, /rage

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there anyone exporting from RB1 directly to RB3? Maybe they never got RB2 or something?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    At the very least, I'm sure a ton of people will rage over the song drops and we'll get an answer from HMX soon enough.

I'm jealous of people with the keyboard. :(

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
  • Options
    PastyPasty cutscenesmith Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the guy at rockbandaide.com says that his source at hmx says the 9 will be a free pack later.

that said, the loss of journey is a huge D: , as is taking away dani california & black hole sun after we paid for them

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Keyboard, as expected is fun as shit. Pro Keys are also hard. I'm trying to wake the old child piano player in me from the dead. He's slowly rising.

Also, my hand hurts. :(

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    At least the record bastards kept their filthy hands off my Pearl Jam DLC.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, to do the export we need to use the code on the back of the RB2 manual?

YardGnome on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yep, the same code from the free 20.

being optimistic, anyone think there might be some harmonies/keys secretly baked into any of the import songs?

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, considering that someone stole my original copy of RB2 and the copy I have now came without a manual... that's heartbreaking. :(

YardGnome on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    For the record, my friend used his code up, then tried to give it to someone else to use, and it came back with a "your code has already been used" message.

So, guess you need your own copy of RB2, as each code is one-time use.

XenoScholar on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there anyone exporting from RB1 directly to RB3? Maybe they never got RB2 or something?

It doesn't work that way.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wait, so how are we getting RB1 songs then, I must have missed that. Are they working off the prior export?

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Masume wrote: »
    Wait, so how are we getting RB1 songs then, I must have missed that. Are they working off the prior export?

Yep

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    The interesting issue with the people exporting RB2 via the manual code is that

1) the codes on the back of PS3 copies are too long
    2) PAL RB2 codes are also too long

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yep

Once you do the export, it acts just like DLC. For 360 users, we see it on the HDD as 'Saved Game' rather than 'Marketplace Content', but it's still essentially the same thing. There is no export into RB3.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    The interesting issue with the people exporting RB2 via the manual code is that

1) the codes on the back of PS3 copies are too long
    2) PAL RB2 codes are also too long

HAHAHAoops.

Not sure about the PS3 ones, but the PAL codes, at least for 360, were direct Marketplace codes. They skipped the confusing 'give us your code and will mail you a code' bullshit.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Either way it'd be awesome if Harmonix could just give everyone that has the 20 free redeemed a way to export.

Can't find the damn manual now, of course.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It would've been more awesome if, somewhere along the way, they actually did something that didn't appear to confirm their pro-360 bias. Actually testing the import process on a PS3 could've been a good start.

Bonus impotent internet rage: People who express disgust that BSSM is broken up now that Give It Away does not export. Wii owners and fans of either The Pixies or Nirvana have a good chuckle...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Got my three-cymbal set for the drums today - looking forward to some more realistic drum gameplay! (Mind you, for the moment it's going to be on RB2 rather than the third game... and when we get that one, I'll have to make up my mind whether it'll mainly be drums or keys.)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    theres no way in the seven hells that I'm going to be able to find my rock band 2 manual

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Yep

Once you do the export, it acts just like DLC. For 360 users, we see it on the HDD as 'Saved Game' rather than 'Marketplace Content', but it's still essentially the same thing. There is no export into RB3.

Right, thanks. I kind of half figured that, but it's good to confirm. That reminds me though, I really should bother to export the Lego Rock Band stuff....at the very least for Ghostbusters. >,>

I assume the Lego and GD stuff comes over fine as DLC? Nothing else ganked? :P

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's going to be hilarious if the official method of exporting is completely different when they put up the press release :P

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    By the way, can anyone tell me whether it'll be possible with RB3 for players to change instruments in mid-gig? I'm thinking of the following scenario: one of the players usually plays guitar but would like to sing one of the songs in the gig, or I'd like to do some songs on the drums and others on keys. Is this possible and easy to do?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    that swingin utters song SUCKS on keys. i was going good getting 95 and up percent on everything until i had to kick it back down to MEDIUM for that song

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm sad about the export fuckery. But we do know that any DLC songs that aren't working will be fixed in the future? Or are those boned, too?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The nonworking DLC songs have malformed metadata and they're all from a single week. So either they will patch RB3 or they'll fix the DLC songs.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The nonworking DLC songs have malformed metadata and they're all from a single week. So either they will patch RB3 or they'll fix the DLC songs.

What songs are those, out of curiosity?

Exportin' RB2 now, and then going to bed.

Three gripes about clothing:

1) No more Anime Buns hairstyle? That was a key feature on my guitarist!

2) Librarian glasses can't have clear lenses? Another blow against my guitarist's fashion!

3) The jacket my drummer always wears? Unlocked via a challenge! The challenge? Bring a failed-out bandmember back with Overdrive... 40 times! That's going to take forever!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So.

Australia.

I have Rock Band 1.

I will be buying Rock Band 3, probably around Christmas.

There's no Rock Band 2 available. Am I boned for exports?

Also, how blown away will I be by the difference between Rock Band 1 and 3?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bad news, Dani California is gone.

Good news, Breaking the Girl and Under the Bridge are not!

Pro keys are fun to this point, with a few training exercises and a couple of easy songs under my belt. Although just like on guitar B and F chords and scales can go die in a fire. Doing some of the scales (with the Harmonix suggested fingering) made me want to shout at the TV "My thumb don't bend that way!".

Can barely keep eyes open, it's sleepy time now.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

2) Librarian glasses can't have clear lenses? Another blow against my guitarist's fashion!

3) The jacket my drummer always wears? Unlocked via a challenge! The challenge? Bring a failed-out bandmember back with Overdrive... 40 times! That's going to take forever!

Anime buns were actually shown in that '12 days of Rock Band' series. They're an unlockable for a challenge

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Anime buns were actually shown in that '12 days of Rock Band' series. They're an unlockable for a challenge

Oh thank goodness, not all the unlockables are viewable from the get-go, then.

...So what challenge unlocks them? Probably some pro guitar bullshit. :(

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Unlucky wrote: »
    So.

Australia.

I have Rock Band 1.

Do you have an AUS copy of RB1? US copies of RB1 were patched before RB2 came out to have an "export songs" option that let you buy a license for exporting the songs. After purchasing the license, the songs were then copied to the 360's hard drive.

If your RB1 was never patched to do that then I don't know what to tell you.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Unlucky wrote: »
    So.

Australia.

I have Rock Band 1.

The different between RB1 and RB2 was monumental in terms of the interface and just general niceties. I imagine going from RB1 to RB3 will feel like a black and white TV to 52" HD.

XenoScholar on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Do you have an AUS copy of RB1? US copies of RB1 were patched before RB2 came out to have an "export songs" option that let you buy a license for exporting the songs. After purchasing the license, the songs were then copied to the 360's hard drive.

If your RB1 was never patched to do that then I don't know what to tell you.
    Any idea where to find this option?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic