As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Hobbit] Rough cut is in the wild!

• Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wow. John Rhys-Davies and Christopher Lee, on-set. Blanchett and Weaving, too.

So pumped.

That's GREAT news. Last time I checked, they wanted John Rhys-Davies to come back and have a Gimli cameo (like legolas). Only John Rhys was being kinda a bitch about it. Well... all that make-up did fuck him up pretty badly, so I guess I can see why he wouldn't be quick to jump back into Gimli's shoes. Still, Glad to see it's a possibility and all again. Though it did sound like nothing more than a visit. Still...

That video did show how much Thorin, Fili, and Kili look nothing like dwarves. They stick out like sore thumbs. The rest are rockin though (Ori doesn't look too Dwarfy, but he's a foppish scholar and it makes sense he looks so Dopey).

That said, the video explained it best, the key is to make each dwarf stand out from one another. One hell of a hard task. And they nailed that in particular. Glad to see Jackson didn't want to do the film BECAUSE of the difficulty of the Dwarves, but actually ended up enjoying dealing with them.

Also Kili isn't old enough to grow a beard... ok... at least it's explained.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I always assumed The Hobbit couldn't be done because of the sheer logistical hell of all the dwarfs, not to mention making them individuals. But it looks like Jackson has it brilliantly figured out.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wishpig wrote:
    That's GREAT news. Last time I checked, they wanted John Rhys-Davies to come back and have a Gimli cameo (like legolas). Only John Rhys was being kinda a bitch about it. Well... all that make-up did fuck him up pretty badly, so I guess I can see why he wouldn't be quick to jump back into Gimli's shoes. Still, Glad to see it's a possibility and all again. Though it did sound like nothing more than a visit. Still...

It's true that Jackson has said nothing about Rhys-Davies joining the production, but until that video came out no one had even heard that Rhys-Davies was even going to visit the set. Seeing him in the video was a complete surprise, and I doubt he trundled all the way down to New Zealand to do just a meet-n-greet. Much like PJ popped up in random places in FOTR and ROTK, I'd be very surprised if JR-D didn't cameo as a bartender or something at some point in the films. Somewhere like Lake Town springs immediately to mind as the most likely place to see him, working in the background as a blacksmith or shepherd or haberdasher.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Wishpig wrote:

It's true that Jackson has said nothing about Rhys-Davies joining the production, but until that video came out no one had even heard that Rhys-Davies was even going to visit the set. Seeing him in the video was a complete surprise, and I doubt he trundled all the way down to New Zealand to do just a meet-n-greet. Much like PJ popped up in random places in FOTR and ROTK, I'd be very surprised if JR-D didn't cameo as a bartender or something at some point in the films. Somewhere like Lake Town springs immediately to mind as the most likely place to see him, working in the background as a blacksmith or shepherd or haberdasher.

Rhys-Davies owns a couple of properties here (including a vineyard, if I remember correctly), so he didn't really need to go come down here just for the meet and greet. Would be cool if he gets a cameo though.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I could understand reluctance of a Gimli cameo for him. I wouldn't want to go through the hell he did just for a minute role.

• Options
    never die wrote:
    I could understand reluctance of a Gimli cameo for him. I wouldn't want to go through the hell he did just for a minute role.

That hell is for a very short period of time, RADICALLY different than the months upon months he spent doing it before. I would imagine it's like going out on a sunny day without sunblock. You stay out in the blazing sun for six hours you're gonna be hurting. You go out in the sun for forty-some minutes and you may be a bit red and tender... but a very different thing. I may be wrong, but I find it hard to believe that a small cameo would be anywhere near as tortuous as before. Certainly worth the pretty penny he'd be paid, no? Plus he should just suck it up for the fans! I'm sorry, but it sounds like he's being a bit of a prick (just a bit), and that's no surprise because he comes off as an arrogant prick in interviews.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Wishpig wrote:
    never die wrote:

That hell is for a very short period of time, RADICALLY different than the months upon months he spent doing it before. I would imagine it's like going out on a sunny day without sunblock. You stay out in the blazing sun for six hours you're gonna be hurting. You go out in the sun for forty-some minutes and you may be a bit red and tender... but a very different thing. I may be wrong, but I find it hard to believe that a small cameo would be anywhere near as tortuous as before. Certainly worth the pretty penny he'd be paid, no? Plus he should just suck it up for the fans! I'm sorry, but it sounds like he's being a bit of a prick (just a bit), and that's no surprise because he comes off as an arrogant prick in interviews.

No, just no.

If he doesn't want to do the job because of what goes with it then okay that's his prerogative, but he doesn't owe the fans his fucking health. That's a horribly selfish perspective.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    DHS wrote:
    Wishpig wrote:
    never die wrote:

No, just no.

If he doesn't want to do the job because of what goes with it then okay that's his prerogative, but he doesn't owe the fans his fucking health. That's a horribly selfish perspective.

We're talking about George R. R. Martin?

No?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    These production videos are great. Can't wait for this film!

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'm glad this is go. I know it was all a while ago, but the legal squabbling and everything really soured me on the whole venture. Being able to have that all resolved and behind us so we can think of The Hobbit in terms of wonder and excitement, as we should, is very welcome.

• Options
    I'm not sure I'm going to see these movies in 3D.

I may, but in large part due to:
    - Jackson shooting natively in 3D, and
    - the higher likelihood of me seeing these films more than once in the theater,

Otherwise, I'll most likely be seeing these films again and again on my home theater, which is not 3D.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    That was a great video.

It was a little odd though seeing the mixture of local and foreign actors playing the dwarves. Most of the Kiwi guys have done all sorts of low key tv, film and theatre over the last 30 or so years and to see them with the foreign stars was, well odd but cool

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Wanna see all the dwarfs together?

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/DwarvesFinal.jpg

Thorin looks better now that you can see all of him.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Wanna see all the dwarfs together?

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/DwarvesFinal.jpg

Thorin looks better now that you can see all of him.

I don't think he looks any better. Looks like a human among dwarves. He looks 10X better than Kili though (Kili looks like an elf with a five O'clock shadow).

Even if they made Thorin's beard a LITTLE bit longer, just enough so you could get some Dwarvin braids goin on, then I would be happy.

I don't know how I feel about starfish head. On one hand I like him cause he looks so unique, on the other hand it looks a little too goofy. Gloin looks fantastic. He looks just like you would expect Gimli's dad to look like.

Wishpig on

• Options
    MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    Is it just me or does Bifur have an axe embedded in his forehead? I don't remember that particular detail in the book, though it has been years since I read it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Morrandir wrote:
    Is it just me or does Bifur have an axe embedded in his forehead? I don't remember that particular detail in the book, though it has been years since I read it.

Holy crap you're right... I'm pretty sure he did not have a large bit of metal jammed into his skull in the books. Lol, I'm digging it though!

Wishpig on

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Dunno, it's random enough it makes me wonder if they generated 100 possibilities with Dwarf Fortress and then took the best 13.

MAN. Then they should have paid Toady one for that...

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TOR.N is reporting that production is gearing back up in Wellington, NZ, after the brief hiatus. Seems that the current round of photography is set to feature Lake Town, as Luke Evans (Bard) and Stephen Frye (Mayor) have been spotted around the set. LOTR alums Orlando Bloom and John Rhys-Davies have both also been seen in Wellington, the latter of which telling a magazine, "I hope Peter finds somewhere to put me." A freak snowstorm has blown up in Wellington this week, no word on whether this will cause production delays. Andy Serkis set to be in charge of large amount of photography this cycle.

Also, if you live near the area, Weta is casting for extras.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    New Zealand is Middle Earth. Its lovely and I want to visit it someday. Ill bring sunblock.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    It's been quite a while since the last update, but the second phase of photography is gearing up in NZ. We should have some good stories soon and probably another production diary video.

Also, for anyone wondering how Holm and Wood are going to factor into the film, well, I'll tell ya:
    The opening bookend scenes of The Hobbit take place about five minutes before the opening of FOTR, as Frodo is setting up for Bilbo's party.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    So they're actually going to leave the Hobbiton set there after shooting wraps, as a tourist attraction. Should be pretty cool. Much better than the bunch of hills tourist companies were selling as Hobbiton before.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Like I said, new stuff a'comin'. Production diary #4, hot off the press.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150451523596807

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I didn't realize 2 and 3 were already out, good thing I have a half hour to burn.

Edit: Now that I think about it (and maybe it's answered in the diaries I'm watching now) how are they going to portray Bilbo when he has the ring on? Would it be like the white wispy shadow realm Frodo goes to or played down since Sauron isn't in full conquest mode?

Karoz on
  • Options
    Man, FUCK 3-D. I'm so sick and tired of that shit.

• Options
    Jackson: So, are we having fun?
    Cast (entirely wrapped up in spider web cocoons): Wheee!

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I'm actually really excited to see how the 3D, 5K, and 48fps all turns out. If it's done right, and with Jackson I can't imagine it not being done right, it should turn out to be pretty phenomenal. The trick would be finding a good theater that doesn't show it too dim and whatnot.

The rest of the movie looks stellar. And the Howard Shore score is so goddamn nostalgic, can't wait to hear what (I assume) he comes up with for this.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Man, the part about the 2 concept artists drawing the concept art in 3-d, by hand, with each taking a single camera view. That's just awesome, really wish I had some blue/red specs to see it when they held the piece up.

As for the 3d in the movie, so long as it's also showing in 2d I don't mind. But wearing the 3d specs over my normal glasses... just begging for a migraine.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Dammit, I ordered the book. And I started reading it. And then I got my first gaming PC. And then Senior Design. So torn....
    *Starts listening to Summoning albums*

Cantido on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Ted Nasmith says on his website that they haven't asked him to do concept art for The Hobbit film. I was hoping that they would. Ah well.

Nasmith is my favorite Tolkien artist, and they asked him to do art for the Lord of the Rings films, but at the time he wasn't able to go.

tnanunexpectedmorningvi.jpg

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    So they're actually going to leave the Hobbiton set there after shooting wraps, as a tourist attraction. Should be pretty cool. Much better than the bunch of hills tourist companies were selling as Hobbiton before.

My honeymoon will be in a year and a half or so, and as silly as it sounds, this will end up being a point in New Zealand's favor. As we think about places to go, the specter of "Well we could always just spend a few weeks in NZ kind of seeing all the LotR sites" has always been there.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Six wrote:

My honeymoon will be in a year and a half or so, and as silly as it sounds, this will end up being a point in New Zealand's favor. As we think about places to go, the specter of "Well we could always just spend a few weeks in NZ kind of seeing all the LotR sites" has always been there.

No fucking kidding I was thinking that today, sans the honeymoon. This will be a vacation for me after a year or two of active duty. Tearin' up Middle Earth in buggies :D

Also, its New Zealand. Pick a Northern Hemisphere winter to go and go surfing.

Cantido on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Six wrote:

No fucking kidding I was thinking that today, sans the honeymoon. This will be a vacation for me after a year or two of active duty. Tearin' up Middle Earth in buggies :D

Also, its New Zealand. Pick a Northern Hemisphere winter to go and go surfing.

Our problem is we'll be going when it's winter in NZ.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Man I hope this movie is good, and not a bloated terrible mess. I'm nervous on account of Peter Jackson's last two movies were bad. Also because they're stretching it into two films and they're shoehorning in like every single Lord of the Rings character.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I hope it goes well but not so well that they go out and make The Similarion.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    see317 wrote:

Man, the part about the 2 concept artists drawing the concept art in 3-d, by hand, with each taking a single camera view. That's just awesome, really wish I had some blue/red specs to see it when they held the piece up.

As for the 3d in the movie, so long as it's also showing in 2d I don't mind. But wearing the 3d specs over my normal glasses... just begging for a migraine.

I have a pair of 3D glasses and checked it out. It looked really cool. The depth was obvious and if it translates well to the actual film I think it'll be a neat experience.

• Options
    wandering wrote:
    Man I hope this movie is good, and not a bloated terrible mess. I'm nervous on account of Peter Jackson's last two movies were bad. Also because they're stretching it into two films and they're shoehorning in like every single Lord of the Rings character.

I've had that fear. I think the fact that they've taken their time in developing the films, plus adhering to the films and source material so strongly, is what is keeping me mostly optimistic. PJ changed a lot about the LOTR films from the text to make the films more dynamic and it mostly worked out well, so that keeps my hopes cautiously high. Plus, there's a lot of location shooting and practical effects, and that's always good. And the cast is top-notch.

That's not to say that Jackson isn't guilty of bloat. King Kong is one of the few films I can think of that would be dramatically better with an hour cut out of it. I wish someone would phantom edit that joker.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Been awhile since I watched RotK extended extras, but one thing they they talked about the difficulty of a Big Bad who literally never shows up in the movie, bar the ring. They wanted to do and basically did film a final duel between Aragorn and Sauron at the Black Gate--at this the lore hardliner in me started rebelling. But they turned that into Aragorn's big fight with the troll chieftain, which works out really well. On the other hand, I had to be reminded the literal burning eye is taking liberties as well, course I think I was convinced of that since I saw it used in the animated RotK.

I think there were others, but what they changed to make the movie flow, like cutting Bombadil (though I wish they had the Barrow Wights, can't really have the latter without the former) and dropping references to what they did cut (Old Man Willow at Treebeard's house) far outweighed the ones I disagree with (looking at you elves at Helm's Deep, but understand why they were put there).

Karoz on
  • Options
    Well at least Jackson was smart enough to cut all of Arwen's scenes at Helm's Deep.

I mean, I get what he was going for, but it just wasn't the right choice.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    wandering wrote:

I've had that fear. I think the fact that they've taken their time in developing the films, plus adhering to the films and source material so strongly, is what is keeping me mostly optimistic. PJ changed a lot about the LOTR films from the text to make the films more dynamic and it mostly worked out well, so that keeps my hopes cautiously high. Plus, there's a lot of location shooting and practical effects, and that's always good. And the cast is top-notch.

That's not to say that Jackson isn't guilty of bloat. King Kong is one of the few films I can think of that would be dramatically better with an hour cut out of it. I wish someone would phantom edit that joker.

The Hobbit, imo, is just a much easier story to film and adapt. It's also a story that fairly naturally splits into 2 parts with 2 climaxes, so I think they shouldn't have many issues on that front.

It's the adding shit that wasn't in the book that worries me most, although it might fix the whole "Where the fuck is Gandalf for half this story?" thing.

• Options
    I did love the exchange bit between Elrond and Arwen in Two Towers.

Then again, I don't like elves, bar Elrond and Galadrield--but that's because all the other interesting/stupid/violent ones were killed/went back home in the Silmarillion leaving the foul taste of Mary Sue.