As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Hobbit] Rough cut is in the wild!

• Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    My biggest gripes, and maybe my only gripes, are that the films are still split across 2 discs each, and that none of the original extras are remastered in HD.

It's a minor bummer, but considering the extra material wasn't filmed in HD we're not missing all that much.

I think you're missing what I'm saying.

The actual media with just the film and associated commentaries plays over 2 discs for each film, so six discs for just the three movies. Considering there are three or four commentaries, plus the DTS track, plus the 1-3 SAP tracks taking up a lot of the space on the disc, I'd gladly sacrifice several of those (to me) superfluous audio tracks to get just the films and the 6.1 track on one disc each.

However, considering that fucking no one is using dual-layer BRDs for some reason unknown to me, I don't think there's any possible way to get all of ROTK on just one disc; the 1080p transfer on its own almost takes up all the space on a single-layer BRD, never mind the audio.

If I remember right there's FOUR commentary tracks per movie. Sure, some of those commentary tracks may be superfluous (if I remember right there's a Peter Jackson track, an actors track, a design team track and a production crew track), but considering this is supposed to be the 100% definitive Blu-ray version fans would scream bloody murder if even one of them was taken out.

Last week I finished watching my box, and I feel that the request to transition from disc 1 to disc 2 is non-intrustive enough that I can live with it. It's always put in a place that fits just right.

You shall be The Fellowship of the Ring!
    "Great!.......where are we going?"
    *Insert Disc 2*

EDIT - Goddamn Amazon description!
    For those who have not read LotR (me :( ) here is all three books in one big volume. I bought that in a heartbeat.

I saw the hardcover version in Barnes and Noble for fifty. This one is a paperback version for 12.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is that the one with the faux-leather cover? Can't tell from Amazon's pics.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    iguanacus wrote: »

o_O Fuck. It's a paperback version. Bah, I still want it.

Cantido on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Cantido wrote: »

I promise, 18 months from now you'll have access to every kind of edition of LOTR, The Hobbit, and the Silmarillion that you can even think of, and some you can't.

The marketing machine on this will be requisitely huge.

ETA: props to everyone keeping the thread up-to-date while I was gone on holiday.

Atomika on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've got the pleather one.

This one here http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Collectors-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0395193958

I also have this one for The Hobbit http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-There-Back-Again-Tolkien/dp/0395177111

Now I just need to find a similar quality Silmarillian and I'm set.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, beyond the Hobbit films, I hope that more Tolkien material can find a way to be adapted. There's a lot of cool stories in the Silmarillion and related canon. Unfortunately, I think the idea of a feature is out of the question, because there is no single narrative. This is a problem that not even Tolkien himself solved so it'd be really hard for anyone else to do it for another media; some of the stories, however, are begging for an adaptation.

Like Beren and Luthien. That would make such a great movie or mini-series. As Children of Hurin, just imagine how awesome Bill Nighy could be as Glaurung, since he's not going to be Smaug. Or the Fall of Gondolin. God, Gondolin realized by Weta is an all time nerd wet dream for me. I wish that an Anthology series was a viable format for TV, at all, let alone for something that require that kind of budget. I think really my desire to the this is mostly for set, creature and effects work alone. Narrative issues are compounded by the inflexibility of the Tolkien estate when it comes to giving up any more rights, so I doubt anything would come to fruition, though another cool billion from the The Hobbitses (which should totally be the pluralized form for the two movies), could grease the wheels.

Two more movies is getting a lot more than I ever though five years ago, so I'll just enjoy these for now and not speculate on dreams and long-shots.

.... Michael Fassbender should be Turin.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Cantido wrote: »

I promise, 18 months from now you'll have access to every kind of edition of LOTR, The Hobbit, and the Silmarillion that you can even think of, and some you can't.

The marketing machine on this will be requisitely huge.

ETA: props to everyone keeping the thread up-to-date while I was gone on holiday.

If it gets more people reading, I approve.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Dean O'Gorman and Aidan Turner as Fili and Kili, respectively.

hobbit-fili-kili.jpg

Interesting to see a couple of mildly hirsute dwarves amongst the epic beardery.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    And non-stocky, to boot.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The paperback came in. I was thinking of returning it due to the shitty description from Amazon, but I can't bring myself to. It's just as nice on paperback, with all three books put together in one package, and has the same appendices and maps of Middle Earth in the back.

But someday, I will have my fancy hardcover. When I have a salary. If salaries still exist when I graduate.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, they are the youngest of the group if I recall correctly.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DHS wrote: »
    So, beyond the Hobbit films, I hope that more Tolkien material can find a way to be adapted. There's a lot of cool stories in the Silmarillion and related canon. Unfortunately, I think the idea of a feature is out of the question, because there is no single narrative. This is a problem that not even Tolkien himself solved so it'd be really hard for anyone else to do it for another media; some of the stories, however, are begging for an adaptation.

Like Beren and Luthien. That would make such a great movie or mini-series. As Children of Hurin, just imagine how awesome Bill Nighy could be as Glaurung, since he's not going to be Smaug. Or the Fall of Gondolin. God, Gondolin realized by Weta is an all time nerd wet dream for me. I wish that an Anthology series was a viable format for TV, at all, let alone for something that require that kind of budget. I think really my desire to the this is mostly for set, creature and effects work alone. Narrative issues are compounded by the inflexibility of the Tolkien estate when it comes to giving up any more rights, so I doubt anything would come to fruition, though another cool billion from the The Hobbitses (which should totally be the pluralized form for the two movies), could grease the wheels.

Two more movies is getting a lot more than I ever though five years ago, so I'll just enjoy these for now and not speculate on dreams and long-shots.

I have always wanted to see a filmed adaptation of Akallabêth. It does take place over a fairly long period of time, but if they focused on the times near the end with Elendil, his sons, and Ar-Pharazôn I think it could work.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

yeah I think so

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

They are. I read the book just a couple of months ago.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Balin-and-Dwalin.jpg

Balin and Dwalin. Looks like we just need Bilbo and Thorin now.

Also, I'm I stupid, or does the new board format not have a way to add URLs and stuff?

• Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thorin:

ve0No.jpg

They showed a picture of Bilbo filming the unexpected party scene a few weeks ago

edit:

IhSTw.jpg

tofu on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Xaev wrote:
    DHS wrote: »

I have always wanted to see a filmed adaptation of Akallabêth. It does take place over a fairly long period of time, but if they focused on the times near the end with Elendil, his sons, and Ar-Pharazôn I think it could work.

Won't happen. The Tolkien Estate will never allow it. They don't even like the licensing that's already happened with his stuff and the only reason it happens is because the rights for The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and the LOTR Appendicies got sold decades ago (I believe under different management of the estate) and they can't unsell them.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    The LOTR rights were sold by Tolkien himself in the late 60s or early 70s. He needed some money fast (to pay his taxes, IIRC), and he thought no one would ever be able to film them anyway.

I'm not sure who sold the rights to the Hobbit and when.

• Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    Ugh... Thorin, Fili, and Kili make me want to line up a bunch of fangirls and knock them all down like dominoes with one massive backhand. Fili and Kili... ok... fine... you can just say they're really really young dwarves (although even then Kili looks like a short/slightly fuzzy elf). But Thorin!? What kind of fucking beard is that! IT ISN'T a beard! It's peach fuzz dammit! They didn't need to go all out heartthrob! Ironically, though the prettiest of the bunch, I think Kili looks pretty damn boring compared to the others.

As much as it pisses me off, I understand it, sexy sells. Hell, I may have done the same thing in Jackon's shoes. Well, the same thing with Fili and Kili. I wouldn't have gone down such an extreme route with Thorin.

Oh well, the other Dwarves look fantastic. Some may look more like Hobbits, but the awesome diversity amongst them is stunning. Great work jackson. Despite my hatred of Thorin's look, I'm certain the actor will win me over.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    I have to say, I wasn't expecting Thorin to look the way he does. Easily the most disappointing of the dwarve concepts. I think it's because he looks the most fake? I don't know. I also always pictured Thorin being a bit older; not elderly, but more like a Ron Perelman-esque, battle-seasoned elder badass type.

• Options
    If even one of them does not have a Scottish accent, I will be very happy.

I do not expect to be happy for that reason.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    I pictured Thorin more like Oin and Gloin look. Oh well, I'll adjust. Excited for this movie.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I have to say, I wasn't expecting Thorin to look the way he does. Easily the most disappointing of the dwarve concepts. I think it's because he looks the most fake? I don't know. I also always pictured Thorin being a bit older; not elderly, but more like a Ron Perelman-esque, battle-seasoned elder badass type.

He looks like a Klingon in that image to me.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I don't know if they all came from or grew up in the same place... but if they did... wouldn't it make sense they all had the same accent? That's like saying "I hope these Scottish guys who live and grew up in Scotland don't have Scottish accents."

Something tells me Dwarf cities aren't cultural mixing pots.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    Dashui wrote:

Yeah, that's what it is. Thanks. It's perfectly clear now.

• Options
    Wishpig wrote:

I don't know if they all came from or grew up in the same place... but if they did... wouldn't it make sense they all had the same accent? That's like saying "I hope these Scottish guys who live and grew up in Scotland don't have Scottish accents."

If they did, sure, but most fantasy mythoi (except Dragon Age) have all dwarves everywhere as being thoroughly Scottish.

• Options
    Wishpig wrote:

If they did, sure, but most fantasy mythoi (except Dragon Age) have all dwarves everywhere as being thoroughly Scottish.

Yeah, I seem to recall all the dwarves in Dragon Age being American, oddly enough, considering Fereldans were all varying shades of British, Orlesians were obviously French, and the Antivans were uniformly Spaniard.

The Qunari were American, too, but in a more stilted, Native American way than regular US English.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Wishpig wrote:

Yeah, I seem to recall all the dwarves in Dragon Age being American, oddly enough, considering Fereldans were all varying shades of British, Orlesians were obviously French, and the Antivans were uniformly Spaniard.

The Qunari were American, too, but in a more stilted, Native American way than regular US English.

I kind of hope we get one or more obscure Scottish accents, possibly from Scotland's islands.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Christopher Tolkein, who I think is the main influence behind the Estate's reluctance is 90ish.
    Wishpig wrote:

They're Yorkshire in WFB, seems similar but makes more sense in context - they drink proper beer (ales, not whiskey), work down the mines, care little for southern/elven frippery and by gum lad, you don't know how well you have it. In my day...

Aye

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote:

Yeah, that's what it is. Thanks. It's perfectly clear now.

I can't unsee it!

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I picture him like this:
    h10232thorin.jpg

• Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150326323406807&oid=141884481557&comments

New production video. Lots of dwarves and other surprises. Squee!

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150326323406807&oid=141884481557&comments

New production video. Lots of dwarves and other surprises. Squee!

!!!

Awesome

3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    Wow. John Rhys-Davies and Christopher Lee, on-set. Blanchett and Weaving, too.

So pumped.

• Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    All of these videos/ photos they put up are amazing. December next year can't come soon enough.

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    I'm honestly surprised how open and showy these production videos have been, especially this last one. Want to see all the Dwarves? Done. Gandalf? Done. Elrond? Galadriel? Done and done. Saruman? Man, please.

Lends one to wonder what else they're going to show, given that at this pace they should release another 16-30 videos, assuming they release some in 2013 in the run-up to Part 2.

• Options
    I liked the cast shot with all the dwarves and their body doubles.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Wow. John Rhys-Davies and Christopher Lee, on-set. Blanchett and Weaving, too.

So pumped.

Ah, so they did let that grumpy old bastard back in the movie. Fantastic.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    That production video was pretty good, the fat dwarf reminds me of Stuart from mad tv for some reason.

Anyways I accidently read comments.

"oh my god ... i found myself having a smile on my face for the whole clip. i'm so excited that i started shaking. and christopher lee in the ending made it perfect. i can't wait to see him as a friend of gandalf and a ally. GREAT. just GREAT"

I wish I was so easily excited about things still...