As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Hobbit] Rough cut is in the wild!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    - New pics from EW! Gandalf! Bilbo! Thorin! Barrels! Elrond and Galadriel! Orcrist! Gollum! Mirkwood!

Hugo/Elrond has got a great "WTF?!" face going on in those pics.

Wonder if he's looking at the map there?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Yeah it does look like Elrond is deciphering the map.

If the pictures are any indication it looks like part 1 will end on traveling to/arriving at Laketown. Probably did that so there will be plenty of time for Smaug, the Battle of Five Armies, and the White Council driving out the Necromancer from Dol Guldur.

Yeah I know Tolkien rewrote Gollum's magic ring into the One Ring right but you'd think that Sauron would detect it's use especially when Bilbo was using it in Mirkwood and try to recover it. It would be sort of neat if Gandalf and the White Council were inadvertently ruining Sauron's plans for recovering the One Ring while Thorin and Company were traveling through Mirkwood and beyond. You could also twist Bolg's attack upon Lonely Mountain after the slaying of Smaug as having the ulterior motive of recapturing the Ring.

Even if none of that happens it was probably a smart move to include the White Council stuff to explain why Gandalf vanishes and appears for movie audiences.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I've always said that the arrival in Laketown is the best place to divide the book in two. It just works so damn well.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I've always said that the arrival in Laketown is the best place to divide the book in two. It just works so damn well.

It does for the second film, but a problem I see is that there's no major action beat before that to end the first film on. It's just dudes riding barrels away from the crazy-ass Elvenking.

Considering Luke Evans and Stephen Fry are playing men of Laketown, I'd gather their characters have been significantly beefed up.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Close, but the best place to leave the movie is with Bilbo grabbing onto the barrel and falling down the trapdoor.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Yeah it does look like Elrond is deciphering the map.

If the pictures are any indication it looks like part 1 will end on traveling to/arriving at Laketown. Probably did that so there will be plenty of time for Smaug, the Battle of Five Armies, and the White Council driving out the Necromancer from Dol Guldur.

Yeah I know Tolkien rewrote Gollum's magic ring into the One Ring right but you'd think that Sauron would detect it's use especially when Bilbo was using it in Mirkwood and try to recover it. It would be sort of neat if Gandalf and the White Council were inadvertently ruining Sauron's plans for recovering the One Ring while Thorin and Company were traveling through Mirkwood and beyond. You could also twist Bolg's attack upon Lonely Mountain after the slaying of Smaug as having the ulterior motive of recapturing the Ring.

Even if none of that happens it was probably a smart move to include the White Council stuff to explain why Gandalf vanishes and appears for movie audiences.

But IIRC, Gandalf doesn't know about the ring in The Hobbit. Though obviously they could change that.

I like the idea though.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Yeah hearing the stuff about Gollum from Bilbo and investigating/overhearing plans or something at/in Dol Guldur could clue Gandalf that something bigger is at work. I forget if they even discover it's actually Sauron until after he is driven out. Still either way Saurman will go "Don't worry about it" and he does...for 60+ years.

The pressure is to strike the balance for Saruman between being the wisest on the council (more than just because they say so) while also stonewalling for his own ends. Well, they don't have to be too subtle but his eventual betrayal is suppose to be a bit of a surprise.

Edit: Ha silly me, skipped right over your excellent point. Yeah I think you're right, I'm not sure if he ever tells Gandalf about the ring. He learns about it eventually but it certainly isn't treated as a big deal.

Karoz on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    shryke wrote: »

It does for the second film, but a problem I see is that there's no major action beat before that to end the first film on. It's just dudes riding barrels away from the crazy-ass Elvenking.

Considering Luke Evans and Stephen Fry are playing men of Laketown, I'd gather their characters have been significantly beefed up.

The action beat is in the Gandalf story. The timing for the assault on the Necromancer is there. Gandalf finishes up in the area and then heads north, arriving just in time to re-enter the Lonely Mountain plot at the appropriate moment.

Basically, Movie 1 ends on epic battle + Bilbo's epic plan culminating in him and the barrels heading downstream.

shryke on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

I was thinking about this recently, and it occurred to me that in a way, a nice place to break it up is to end the first movie right after the escape from the Misty Mountains and right before meeting Beorn. There's a bit of an action set piece with escaping the Misty Mountains, and - best of all! - you get a built-in story recap for the start of the second movie when Gandalf tells the story of their adventures to Beorn.

The only problem with this is that it's probably not a very balanced distribution of events, putting too many big, complicated things into the second movie.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Things I'd bet significant amounts of money on:

--The 638 minutes will be trimmed for the theatrical release.
    --And then they'll be restored for the inevitable extended editions.

Though I'm speaking the obvious here.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Delduwath wrote: »

I was thinking about this recently, and it occurred to me that in a way, a nice place to break it up is to end the first movie right after the escape from the Misty Mountains and right before meeting Beorn. There's a bit of an action set piece with escaping the Misty Mountains, and - best of all! - you get a built-in story recap for the start of the second movie when Gandalf tells the story of their adventures to Beorn.

The only problem with this is that it's probably not a very balanced distribution of events, putting too many big, complicated things into the second movie.

I, too, was trying to figure out a good break between the two movies and was also thinking right around Mirkwood would be good. Now though, I think Laketown is a good divide since it gives plenty of Smaug and battle time and also, as Atomic Ross pointed out, it looks like they are spending more time in Laketown. It's probably like Gandalf and Pippin in Minas Tirith in RotK. Still, I'm hoping part 1 doesn't rush Bilbo's adventure just to wrap up the Necromancer. Then again, it does fit perfectly since after Mirkwood Gandalf doesn't show up again till the Battle of Five Armies IIRC.

I like your idea for story recap to Beorn but that can easily be transferred to the men of Laketown. Speaking of Beorn it got me worried about him being cut like Tom Bombadill (given the former is much more important in the story) but he's there in the imdb credits as played by one Mikael Persbrandt.

Karoz on
  • Options

IIRC, I remember TheOneRing.net speculating heavily that the battle against the goblins in the Misty Mountains (and Gollum's stuff) would be the climax of the first film. It's a good action beat to go out on (although a little derivative of Fellowship's scenes in Moria), and fleeing into Beorn's woods isn't a terrible place to break the film.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Things I'd bet significant amounts of money on:

--The 638 minutes will be trimmed for the theatrical release.
    --And then they'll be restored for the inevitable extended editions.

Though I'm speaking the obvious here.

The 638 figure was for LOTR.

The math on the Hobbit would put the two combined films around 360-400, which is still quite a bit, but almost half of LOTR.

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    An absolutely MASSIVE promotional image has been released for The Hobbit. Looks like it'll probably be some kind of gatefold cover for an upcoming EW issue.

I've put the image in spoilers because A) It's ginormous and B) it's pretty spoileriffic. DON'T Click if you don't want to see how the story unfolds (and what the last scene probably is).
    HOBBIT-SCROLL_6000.jpg

I need to see this movie now!

MetalMagus on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    After looking at that, I need a change of pants.

And the more I see him, the more I'm coming to like the look they've gone with for Thorin. I was definitely in the "WTF Klingon?!" camp when the first images were released, but the subsequent trailers and promotional shots have steered me to a much more positive view of the design.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Yup, looks like they are making the cut exactly where I and tons and tons of everyone thought they would.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Wow, that is beautiful, thanks for posting it MetalMagus.

Every visit to this thread reminds me to feel very excited for this movie(s)!

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I think the best division for cutting The Hobbit into two movies would be earlier. Have the climax of movie 1 be the escape from the goblins and Out of the Frying Pan Into the Fire. Getting to Beorn makes for a wind down and resolution.

That lets movie 2 start out with the spiders and elvenking for an act 1.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    That leaves you like no time for all the shit at the mountain though. And very little to do in the first half.

• Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    I think overall my objections to any strong / overt links between LOTR and Christianity is this:

while the cosmology of LOTR contains a God it does not contain a Jesus. And it seems to me pretty hard to have Christianity without a Christ.
    I agree, and I think Tolkien would agree too; he disliked CS Lewis' writings for the reason that they are explicitly Christian (which hurt poor Mr. Lewis' feelings since he was a Tolkien fanboy).

To the extent that whiffs of Christianity show up in Tolkien, I think it is because Tolkien believed that reality and human nature, even in fantasyland, logically must follow certain rules, and those rules are based on his religion. So while there isn't an explicit Jesus character, Tolkien can't seem to bring himself to construct a fantasy world without a monotheistic-style creator god.

And one of my Christian internet friends once pointed out an even bigger Christian thing in LoTR: Frodo *fails.* Frodo is unable to personally overcome the power of the ring. His salvation (and the world's) comes from outside his own personal strength and courage, from the bizarre and possibly even divinely-guided series of events that led Gollum to bite off his finger and go plunging into the volcano (and, lol, eagles). The idea that we, personally, are not strong enough to overcome sin and therefore must rely on outside help, *is* central to Christianity.

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    We also don't know how much of the backstory they're putting in. If they cover the Necromancer in any serious depth, there might be a climax at Dol Guldur. They're also very likely to expand on the battle with Smaug. Let's face it, it'd be pretty anticlimactic on film if they did it exactly like in the books (and the animated film did). I'd like to see him really fuck up the place a bit, maybe eat the cowardly Lord of Laketown as tries to flee (a change from the book, but a satisfying one).

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    MetalMagus wrote: »
    We also don't know how much of the backstory they're putting in. If they cover the Necromancer in any serious depth, there might be a climax at Dol Guldur. They're also very likely to expand on the battle with Smaug. Let's face it, it'd be pretty anticlimactic on film if they did it exactly like in the books (and the animated film did). I'd like to see him really fuck up the place a bit, maybe eat the cowardly Lord of Laketown as tries to flee (a change from the book, but a satisfying one).

It was pretty compact in the books, but he does burn Laketown to the ground. Well, to the water. You know what I mean.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Let the merchandising begin.
    hr_hobbit_figs.jpg

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited July 2012
    The only beef I have design wise is Balin. He's my favorite and the second oldest dwarf in the company but he looks ancient compared Thorin whose suppose to be older.

Robble robble how dare you make the leader of the band more charismatic in a hollywood sense instead of dwarven robble robble.

Karoz on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Qingu wrote: »
    I think overall my objections to any strong / overt links between LOTR and Christianity is this:

while the cosmology of LOTR contains a God it does not contain a Jesus. And it seems to me pretty hard to have Christianity without a Christ.
    I agree, and I think Tolkien would agree too; he disliked CS Lewis' writings for the reason that they are explicitly Christian (which hurt poor Mr. Lewis' feelings since he was a Tolkien fanboy).

To the extent that whiffs of Christianity show up in Tolkien, I think it is because Tolkien believed that reality and human nature, even in fantasyland, logically must follow certain rules, and those rules are based on his religion. So while there isn't an explicit Jesus character, Tolkien can't seem to bring himself to construct a fantasy world without a monotheistic-style creator god.

And one of my Christian internet friends once pointed out an even bigger Christian thing in LoTR: Frodo *fails.* Frodo is unable to personally overcome the power of the ring. His salvation (and the world's) comes from outside his own personal strength and courage, from the bizarre and possibly even divinely-guided series of events that led Gollum to bite off his finger and go plunging into the volcano (and, lol, eagles). The idea that we, personally, are not strong enough to overcome sin and therefore must rely on outside help, *is* central to Christianity.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Hurr hurr Frodo's not perfect. LIKE JESUS. WHO IS PERFECT.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

I, too, was trying to figure out a good break between the two movies and was also thinking right around Mirkwood would be good. Now though, I think Laketown is a good divide since it gives plenty of Smaug and battle time and also, as Atomic Ross pointed out, it looks like they are spending more time in Laketown. It's probably like Gandalf and Pippin in Minas Tirith in RotK. Still, I'm hoping part 1 doesn't rush Bilbo's adventure just to wrap up the Necromancer. Then again, it does fit perfectly since after Mirkwood Gandalf doesn't show up again till the Battle of Five Armies IIRC.

I like your idea for story recap to Beorn but that can easily be transferred to the men of Laketown. Speaking of Beorn it got me worried about him being cut like Tom Bombadill (given the former is much more important in the story) but he's there in the imdb credits as played by one Mikael Persbrandt.

That would suck, because it's implied Beorn was at the final battle.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Yeah but the Hobbit animated film (mmm nostalgia) took him out without missing a thing. Course they didn't really go into the battle other than 1) ooo it's starting 2) the allies are losing 3) the end we've won! yay!

Instead of going "the allied forces can't take down Bolg and his guards."

Should...we be spoilering any of this stuff? Sure, it's all in the book but perhaps there are some forumites who haven't read it and would like to be surprised.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    When in doubt, spoil it, is the policy I've seen most requested

• Options
    The book was published 75 years ago.

If that's not past the statute of limitations on spoilers, I don't know what is.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    woops, double post

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Behemoth wrote: »

If that's not past the statute of limitations on spoilers, I don't know what is.

Just don't tell me what happens at the end of Kong and we'll be fine.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Beauty did it.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Hurr hurr Frodo's not perfect. LIKE JESUS. WHO IS PERFECT.
    I don't think Frodo's imperfection is the salient point, rather his almost metaphysical inability to achieve his goal. Actually, Frodo is not really a flawed character at all; he's humble, gracious, brave, adventurous, smart. iirc the movie actually invents character flaws for him to make him seem more interesting and realistic. And yet he still fails to destroy the ring and overcome evil.

This is in contrast to most fantasy stories I can think of, which often feature protagonists who grow and overcome their flaws throughout the story and go on to bravely defeat or outsmart the evil force at the end.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Qingu wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    I don't think Frodo's imperfection is the salient point, rather his almost metaphysical inability to achieve his goal. Actually, Frodo is not really a flawed character at all; he's humble, gracious, brave, adventurous, smart. iirc the movie actually invents character flaws for him to make him seem more interesting and realistic. And yet he still fails to destroy the ring and overcome evil.

This is in contrast to most fantasy stories I can think of, which often feature protagonists who grow and overcome their flaws throughout the story and go on to bravely defeat or outsmart the evil force at the end.

And it ties into the larger picture of the book too as Aragorn's whole battle and journey throughout the book, the story of what one would typically consider the hero, is just a delaying action.

Just as Frodo cannot defeat the Ring through force of mortal will alone and must rely on a sort of divine providence, Aragorn cannot defeat Sauron alone and must rely on another. It's two layers of man's inability to defeat evil through his personal strength alone.

shryke on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Mvrck wrote: »

Man is the real monster.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    There's a rumor going around that Warners will show a good chunk of The Hobbit at ComiCon this week at 48 fps . . . . . but doctored up with a grain filter to make it feel more "cinematic."

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    There's a rumor going around that Warners will show a good chunk of The Hobbit at ComiCon this week at 48 fps . . . . . but doctored up with a grain filter to make it feel more "cinematic."

Grain filters are actually pretty common. One of the first steps in doing VFX in post is to de-grain footage shot on film, do all your compositing, then add film grain back near the end of the process. It also helps us low-end folks cheat and make our DSLR video look a bit more "film-like." It's kinda like Instagram. We finally have the technology to make our clean digital imagery look like horrible pictures from 30 years ago.

I saw Prometheus (also shot with Red Epic 3D rigs) in 4k 3D projection, and I actually really liked how clean & sharp everything was. Granted, it was still 24 fps, but despite the huge flaws in the script, I thought it was a beautifully-shot, great-looking movie. That super-sharp, pristine look might not be the best for a fantasy movie, though... so we'll see what they do with it.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    damn double post...

jimb213 on
  • Options
    http://www.slashfilm.com/the-hobbit-footage-show-24fps-comiccon/

Warners/New Line and Jackson have agreed to show the ComiCon footage in 24fps tomorrow afternoon.

Seems like a portentous omen for what's to come in December.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    double post.

Atomika on