As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Java Gaming Problem

sirchrissypoosirchrissypoo Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'll try to give a full breakdown of my problem so as to make the diagnosis easier.

I downloaded and started playing the offline, single player version of Minecraft. Great game, lots of fun. However, after playing the game for anywhere from 10 minutes to over 45 minutes, my entire computer just freezes, forcing me to restart my computer.

When I check the task manager, java.exe is using a lot of memory, and forcing my CPU percentage use up above 40% even when just sitting at the main menu, with it going well above 80% at times when actually playing.

I've tried updating Java (running the most recent version now), I've tried completely removing Java and reinstalling, and I've tried closing every other program, and yet the problem persists.

I read a couple forums online, and this is apparently a relatively common problem, but no solid solutions seemed available, and any tips they offered didn't seem to work.

I'm at a loss. I want to continue building my glorious castle, but I've lost 3 saves already from the constant crashing. What can I do?

sirchrissypoo on

• Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Basically minecraft is setting your heap size to high. How much memory do you have? Are you meeting min specs?

In java you can set min/max heap size. If you set them the same it won't have to keep resizing it, which can speed things up. Also make sure you set it low enough as not to kill your computer (as you have seen), but high enough that the game doesn't run like shit.

This assumes it's a problem with java and not a memory leak in native libraries.

java -Xms512m -Xmx512m

That sets min/max to 512mb.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg