As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old, busted STEAM thread

• Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Being punished by the Steam gods. Went ahead and bought BIT.TRIP.BEAT ("$9? OK."), only to now discover that this game, which is composed mostly of 8-bit graphics, is too good for my video card. Oh well.

What video card do you have? Thats bizarre

It started off as a WiiWare game, so it shouldn't tax your system too much, I would think.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    Being punished by the Steam gods. Went ahead and bought BIT.TRIP.BEAT ("$9? OK."), only to now discover that this game, which is composed mostly of 8-bit graphics, is too good for my video card. Oh well.

I've seen a lot of 3D stuff going on in the background.

To the guy asking if its mouse controlled paddle, yes it is.

The game is also painfully hard after the first level.

Really fun game though.

How about mouse scroll wheel control?

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, according to my control panel. It may not be a video card problem, though that seems to be the most common problem being talked about on the Steam forums. All I know for sure is that I click "play" ---> resolution changes ---> "beat.exe has encountered an unexpected problem" ---> resolution changes back.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AnakinOU wrote: »

Really fun game though.

He meant the paddle can be controlled by the mouse scroll wheel.

edit: reading back, I don't know if that is what he's saying. Don't mind me, I'm just over here

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AnakinOU wrote: »

Really fun game though.

I don't see an option for that. The mouse wheel seems to not do anything during gameplay.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can't figure out how to install Shattered Horizons for that free weekend

OH WELL!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

OH WELL!

Make sure your view is set to "all games" and not "installed" and double click on it in your games list?

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

OH WELL!

Make sure your view is set to "all games" and not "installed" and double click on it in your games list?

Also, make sure you're running Vista or Windows 7, though I don't know if that would prevent you from installing the game (just running it)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Holy crap.. I have 77 games installed.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

OH WELL!

You can also view it in the store and scroll down to the banner that says "Free Weekend", which doubles as a link to start the download.

Michael H on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If all else fails, apply a staple gun to your forehead a few times. That's an alternative that will replicate the experience pretty well.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Shattered Horizon is pretty fucking awesome, I'd best not be hearing anything to the contrary up in here.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just played Bit.Trip Beat and I can't figure out if I like it or hate it. It's kind of mysterious in how everything works and pretty hard. I lost at the boss of stage 3.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    SickwithJusticeSickwithJustice Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    harvest wrote: »
    I just played Bit.Trip Beat and I can't figure out if I like it or hate it. It's kind of mysterious in how everything works and pretty hard. I lost at the boss of stage 3.

You got through to stage 3 without losing?

Man, I can't even get to the second levels boss on normal.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "mysterious in how everything works". Blips come at you and if too many get by you lose. Maybe I'm missing something.

SickwithJustice on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I only played Shattered Horizon since I got it for 4$ at a sale for a bit but it was worth it for the gravity trip

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Okay

Shattered Horizons takes forever to get going

Mostly because of how weirdly optimized it is, and how much it hitched up for the first fifteen minutes

After that though? Fuck this game rules

I love the concept, and going into "silent running" is the coolest fucking shit ever

But I can see why it hasn't exactly set the world on fire

It needs more Call of Duty-style progression stuff, because as of right now it is five weapons and they are not fancy

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay

Mostly because of how weirdly optimized it is, and how much it hitched up for the first fifteen minutes

I love the concept, and going into "silent running" is the coolest fucking shit ever

It needs more Call of Duty-style progression stuff, because as of right now it is five weapons and they are not fancy

Shattered Horizons is dead.

Every time I try to play it, the only active servers are ones with bots.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Shattered Horizon is a great game that nobody plays for some reason.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Okay

Well people are playing it now

I guess I'll play for this free weekend and that'll be that

Too bad, too. This game seems really cool, despite it's lack of staying power

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    5 guns? Last time I played there was 1

tofu on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, if you're playing Trine, and it has the glowing level up icon in the corner of the screen? And you hit random keys on the keyboard to open up a level up menu, but nothing works? And there's nothing useful in the controls config screen? It's supposed to tell you to press 'i' the first time you level up, but it apparently doesn't sometimes.

Leveling up makes the wizard much less obnoxiously useless.

Frem on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    5 guns? Last time I played there was 1

i know

the beta had one gun with 2 modes

anyone know anything about this Pound of Ground game? the screenshots look entertaining at least.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Great, the two games advertised on the front pages are ones that I already own or don't have a rig for.

Hey, is this here infinity battle pack worth buying for Supreme Commander 2?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Great, the two games advertised on the front pages are ones that I already own or don't have a rig for.

Hey, is this here infinity battle pack worth buying for Supreme Commander 2?

It's pretty fun I guess. I'm not a huge SupCom2 player or anything (got the DLC only because my friend kept on bugging me to get it so we could comp-stomp), so I can't say regarding the nuances of the new units or maps. But I guess the $3.40 is worth it to see a pimped-out Monkeylord just lay total fucking waste to a base all by itself.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Okay

The bots are pretty convincing though.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Do the bots have a chance of ignoring you when you have all your equipment turned off?

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Do the bots have a chance of ignoring you when you have all your equipment turned off?

Yes

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Silent running is the coolest thing ever

Fact

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, according to my control panel. It may not be a video card problem, though that seems to be the most common problem being talked about on the Steam forums. All I know for sure is that I click "play" ---> resolution changes ---> "beat.exe has encountered an unexpected problem" ---> resolution changes back.

Hmm. I'm stuck with an ATI integrated chipset for graphics at the moment so I think I'll pass on this until I get around to grabbing a new GPU.

Just out of curiosity, is Bit.Trip.Beat an OpenGL game? Catalyst drivers don't seem to have the most robust OpenGL support.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Silent running is the coolest thing ever

Fact

This is why I want terminus to be on GOG so badly, picture it.

You just did a run on a martian transport. You made off with a plethora of goods and are packed to the brim. But you burned a lot of power and its a long ways to the pirate base. A straight line through the gateway and plenty of targets. That money will be worth it but no sense in blowing through it all on refills and being short a few precious credits for the omega launcher.

*BEEP BEEP*

Noooot to mention that you are low on fuel and 1 of your main engines just burned out. Okay, turn off compensators, vector for the gate, power off and wait, just me and the cold vacuum of space. Clock says 1 minute till the gate, just wait and watch the seconds tick by.

*SQUEEE*

Are there any good space combat games on Steam? Is starscape any good?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think Starscape is a lot of fun. Very arcadey, with some light base management and researching mechanics. The controls are very Asteroids. It's not terribly deep but it's a fun way to blow things up and upgrade spaceships.

edit: And I want a copy of Terminus so bad. It sounds like my kind of game.

Drake on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    I think Starscape is a lot of fun. Very arcadey, with some light base management and researching mechanics. The controls are very Asteroids. It's not terribly deep but it's a fun way to blow things up and upgrade spaceships.

edit: And I want a copy of Terminus so bad. It sounds like my kind of game.
    The last quarter or third or however many sections the game's divvied up into gets pretty ridiculous with the amount of shit it throws at you. Fun little game up until then, though.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    My latest thread talking about some of the better features

Other thread I made

Website

The guy who got me into this game works for JPL then and now and had enough sticks to actually fly in newtonian space. Hell, if we got a real space program, he would be flying in newtonian space.

So when and what is the next big update for steam supposed to occur and is there any sort of publisher absent from their catalogue?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I figure I'll ask here, I have Medal of Honor....don't really like it as far as FPS's go...

Should I pick up Modern Warfare 2? or just wait for Black Ops?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    MAspiderfaceMAspiderface Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I figure I'll ask here, I have Medal of Honor....don't really like it as far as FPS's go...

Should I pick up Modern Warfare 2? or just wait for Black Ops?

Prepurchase black ops
    well worth it.

MAspiderface on
    camo_sig2.png
    XBL is FresherDeath12, PSN is MAspiderface2. (Play 360 more, MW2, etc.)
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Could a USA person gift me Supreme Commander 2 in exchange for paypal monies please?

PM if you could.

LewieP on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone here know regarding some steam titles if you buy them elsewhere if steam will update them, dlc them, etc? I know black ops is "steam cloud," but does that mean if I get a retail copy steam will take care of it for me?

goggles on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, this is awesome.

From steam support:

Home>Knowledge Base>Valve Store>Is my plush Vortigaunt defective?

Is my plush Vortigaunt defective?
    <Question>

Is my plush Vortigaunt defective?

<Answer>

We have received several inquiries about defects in the plush Vortigaunt toys - please note that plush Vortigaunts' heads pivot (if the head appears to be affixed incorrectly it may be turned to the correct position).

goggles on
  • Options
    kleinfehnkleinfehn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey Penny-Arcade, i am having troubles with running Oblivion. I have a quad core anthlon II at 3.0ghz, a 7200 rpm drive and a radeon 4650 and from what I've read I should be able to play it on high easily. However whenever I play the game and I go into a new area or if I attack or kill an enemy the game will freeze for a few seconds. I have had a problem similar to this in fallout 3 but only about ever 5 minutes. I have googled this problem and I have found no solution. Any help anyone?

kleinfehn on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    goggles wrote: »
    Anyone here know regarding some steam titles if you buy them elsewhere if steam will update them, dlc them, etc? I know black ops is "steam cloud," but does that mean if I get a retail copy steam will take care of it for me?

Yeah for all intents and purposes it is as though Steam doesn't really differentiate between retail bought CD's and Steam store purchases. If it's Steam cloud on the box, it's gonna be handled by Steam.

Big Classy on
This discussion has been closed.