As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please help me run programs on my laptop! (It's being difficult)

Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I got this little fella here:
Clicky

If you don't feel like clicking, it's a Compaq Mini Cq10 - 100;
1.6GhZ Intel Atom, 2GB ram, Windows 7.

A fairly base model, but it was a great deal so I couldn't pass it up. (Look at it, it's just adorable)
First things first, obviously I want to play games on it! :b

I know, I know, 'laptops aren't for games' you say. But my problem isn't performance, it's that I can't seem to get many things to actually run. For instance, I installed puzzle quest 2 just fine, and it plays great, but my old copies of Master of Orion II, System Shock II, or Fallout 2? (I guess I like sequels) They'll install, but when I go to actually run them nothing happens.
It's not just games, some programs which I could actually use for school and justify this purchase with (multiSim, MikroBasic, etc) have the same problem. Install fine, nothing happens when I go to run them.

Anyone have experience with these little guys?

2tyFzTC.png

Farout Foolio on

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Have you tried compatibility modes or running them as administrator?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's quite a few things that could stop a program from running in Windows 7. I, myself, have never used Win7 (I use Vista Ultimate x64), but I will say this: DEP is a bitch.

DEP has been the absolute bane of my gaming past time. DEP = Data Execution Prevention. I'm sure Windows 7 has some sort of DEP in place to prevent programs from running. I'd say do a bit of research on it and see if it's something you'd like to venture on with. (Or without...as in my case :p)

StrifeRaZoR on
    StrifeRaZoR.png
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To get System Shock 2 running: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128197
    For MOO2, use dosbox or a dosbox frontend.

Your problem might be Windows 7 Starter. The good news is, you can probably get a full version of Win7 for free since you're a student.

corky842 on
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    All those probably need to be run in compatability mode for XP or earlier. I had this problem when I tried to play Age of Empires on Windows 7.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I do have windows starter, and I do have a student copy of 7 (it had to be professional for some reason) on my pc, do I get multiple installs or is that just wishful thinking?

I've tried compatibility mode, but no dice so far. :c
    SS2 already has all the mods and updates applied.

edit: Changed thread title for clarity's purpose.

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I do have windows starter, and I do have a student copy of 7 (it had to be professional for some reason) on my pc, do I get multiple installs or is that just wishful thinking?

I've tried compatibility mode, but no dice so far. :c
    SS2 already has all the mods and updates applied.

edit: Changed thread title for clarity's purpose.

You can install it as many times as you want, but I think you can only have it installed on one machine at a time.

corky842 on