Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Porting an AT&T Plan

adytumadytum Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum

adytum on
etxvv5.jpg

• badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd be really surprised if you couldn't. Going to a kiosk often isn't the best as they are often privately owned and aren't corporate, I would go to a corporate store, order online or simply call them and see if it is possible.

• illigillig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Verizon guy was clueless... it'll work just like any other phone number porting. Call their support # and they'll walk you through it.

• ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As someone that worked for a pay as you go company - yes, you can port it. Go to a corporate store and let them know you have a number that you want to keep. It's all good.

steam_sig.png
    3DS 1461-7082-5181
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can definitely be done.

I'll echo the advice to go to a corp store and tell them what you want to do. I can't remember off the top of my head exactly what you'll need (it's been a while since I worked in customer care), but it's definitely doable.

• kaliyamakaliyama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Before you cancel service with the old carrier, go into the new carrier and have them port it over when you sign up.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Thanks Gort! The Dream RealmRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Before you cancel service with the old carrier, go into the new carrier and have them port it over when you sign up.

This. I use to work for Verizon as a contractor. The numbers by law have to be portable. If you get service with another company they typically port your number for you. Find a corporate store! Ther are billions of "Authorized Retailer" stores around and they are really just 3rd parties who get minimal training. Corporate stores typically have techs and full support staff.

Just remember Verizon is based on CDMA technology while AT&T is GSM. They can do technical things like port your address book numbers over to your new phone (in store) but not all your previous features (if you had any) will match up 1:1.

That's about it.

steam_sig.png
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -mostlydeadman
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited August 2011

adytum on
    etxvv5.jpg
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Thanks Gort! The Dream RealmRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    According to Verizon the kiosk we went to is a Verizon Wireless store as opposed to an authorized retailer.

But there's a full-fledged retail store in a nearby mall. I'll go there instead.

Thanks guys.

There use to be kiosk's located in Circuit Citys. Most of the 3rd party guys will say they are Verizon. They're trained too. Look for business cards, sign boards, etc. If you see Authorized Retailer, then they're 3rd Party. Actually, Verizon's been cutting back on retail locations.

Use this to make sure.

But unless there has been some serious policy/law change it shouldn't be an issue. Btw, don't forget you AT&T customer # for being a PAY AS YOU GO customer is your cell number.

steam_sig.png
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -mostlydeadman