As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scariest Game You've Ever Played?

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    annnnd this is why i don't play horror games. I quite happily pansy out.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ah, don't be a sissy stopgap. It's good to feel a little fear, besides it's not like that scuttering in your pitch black closet is anything to be worried about. Nor those eyes peering through the window late late at night.

Anyways, kudos to the guy that posted the bit on that medical game. I can't believe that's the sort of game that goes ignored these days. Sounds like the sort of thing where you really should be shaken when you mess up.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Alone in the Dark (I watched an LP of it) is an abomination. The only thing remotely good about it is the atmosphere, which is ruined by everything else. It's a travesty of a game even if it actually made good use of Lovecraft's work.

The new one is really, really terrible. HOWEVER the original on PC was fantastic!

I was talking about the original PC version. The incredibly obtuse puzzles and numerous ways to be instantly killed without any foreknowledge, as well as being able to screw yourself out of being able to complete the game were either horrible oversights or just flat-out malice on the developer's part.

Not to mention that in the last section of the game, the jump command is snuck into the game without any sort of warning and you are expected to platform in an isometric view. And the consequence of failing such was a game over. Some people may like the game, but I feel it had some glaring design mistakes that only make it worth mentioning for the games that came after it.
    Chance wrote: »
    Scariest game I ever played: Fatal Frame II.

Best survival horror game I ever played: Siren: Blood Curse.

I watched someone play Siren, and while it too had some very obtuse puzzles and its difficulty came from a sort of shitty combat system, it was actually a very well-designed game. And the monsters in it were terrifying.

The death cries of the enemies were brilliantly disturbing, and the way that the characters you'd met and even played as changed, with nothing you could do about it... that was just top notch. I don't know if I could have played it myself and gotten the true ending, or whatever it was, but it was a very well-crafted horror story.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sort of a revolutionary game for the time, despite it's shortcomings.

Someone needs to donate me a PS2 or something so I can play some form of Siren or another. I don't have the scratch to afford this and food people!

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    System Shock 2, definitely.

Minecraft is a bastard this way. Partially because you drop everything when you die, and the game auto-saves. Lost a bunch of good shit? Well, better hope you can find it in 5 minutes, or its all gone.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That's less scary and more just out and out sadistic I gotta say.

Sounds like old school Ultima Online.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I saw a video for a game once where you have to run through a building trying to get away from a bear. The guy playing was screaming his fucking lungs out whenever he fucked up or got trapped between a wall and the bear and stuff. What game was that?

And someone post the video if they've got it on hand because holy shit. D:

Pretty sure that was Condemned 2. I'm still bummed out it never made its way to PC, even if it was a massive failure.

Condemned 1 was awful. It was like a video game bully. Every time I turn it on, it just calls me a pussy and screams at me. It abused my psyche like nothing before.
    That scene where you find the gym teacher or whatever, with his lips cut off...

Screw you, Condemned.

Also, Blood 1 terrified me as a child, but I could never stop playing. Absolutely terrified me. SS2 did, as well, and I only played the demo. Played meaning "sat there with a wrench and never ever moved".

When I first played D3, I was young. The jump scares and atmosphere worked wonders on me. Now I just find it tedious and can't play because the flash light is stupid and modding it to just being on with the shotgun and machine gun breaks the game.

Recently, the STALKER series. I cannot play those games without a heart attack each time I load up. You're never safe, no matter how geared you are. Never. Safe. Dark village. They're there. COMING OUT OF THE WALLS, MAN!

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well it's that, and that Creepers are completely silent until they're about to explode.

And caves. Monsters spawn ANYWHERE if it's dark enough. Long corridor in that cave you just entered and it's pitch black.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got through the first page without seeing System Shock 2.

What is wrong with you people?

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That sounds awesome. Also, love the avatar I haven't seen enough Battle Angel Alita love in a long time.

System Shock 2 seems to be the king for most PC gamers, and having booted it up for a quick jaunt it's not surprising to see why. Irrational really was on top of their game with the sound design. Really A plus material at work here.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    InexactQuotientInexactQuotient Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, Life & Death. I played that game all the time when I was 9 back in like, '91. The game measured your success and failures, and I had well over a hundred operations failed before I finally completed the first one. To be fair though, it was pretty tough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5azQdQR35E

Although to be more fair, most of time I was doing stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sczxk0IkcVY

InexactQuotient on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A lot of unintended horror just thinking of the concept. I can only imagine going in for a routine surgery and feeling everything as some crazy ass doctor slices into me.

I always had to wonder about Trauma Center, there's just something a little odd about a doc that has to draw a pentagram to save the life of his patient from some mega cancer.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know there are scarier games, but for me, the enduring memory is playing Thief and System Shock 2 over the same period.
    For SS2, it was the first time a Hybrid came up behind me without me noticing, then started beating me to death while screaming "KILL ME!".
    That moment, coupled with exploring Constantines mansion in Thief, stopped me playing both games for months. I'd never found 'creepy' in a game before.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've got a problem thread.

You see, I want to tell you what is really the scariest game ever, but...

I have no mouth.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "Give it another try. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it" is not the most efficient way to run a hospital

and i might have been way scared of the game back when i was 8, but that second video has me in stitches

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Another vote for Amnesia, but honestly I haven't played any of the Sirens, any Fatal Frames, Eternal Darkness, and most of the Silent Hill series.

tardcore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've got a problem thread.

You see, I want to tell you what is really the scariest game ever, but...

I have no mouth.

I love you, I was surprised this took so long to get mentioned.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And for those of us that have no idea what that is in reference to?

The...matrix? :P

Arrath on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Another vote for the Cradle in Thief 3. Brilliant and *subtle*. (I can definitely recommend Kieron Gillen's "Journey into the Cradle" as an intelligent, thoughtful take on the mission.) It also completely ruined Bloodline's Oceanview Hotel for me - it felt so hackneyed and "Boo! Scared ya!" in facile ways compared to the Cradle. And don't get me started on the diary pages...

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arrath wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth,_and_I_Must_Scream_%28video_game%29

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh hey thats actually the name, thanks.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

This creepy fucking thing

I didn't even play it and it unsettled me.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been playing the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. off and on since like July. I fully intend to eventually finish it and move on to the others in the series, because I absolutely love it, especially with some mods to enhance the dated aesthetics.

It's just that, besides the fact that this tends to be how I play games normally (play the shit out of something for a week or two, short attention span kicks in, on to something else, repeat in cycles and eventually finish what I started months later, maybe), the game just STRESSES ME THE HELL OUT.

It's not so much outright fear as I am constantly on edge the entire time I'm playing. It's strange in that it may be the only game I've ever played where I was enjoying the experience and yet did not find it even remotely relaxing, and usually games are one of the main ways I blow off steam. It's like when I finish a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. session I need to play some other, less intense game just to unwind.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    For me its Fatal Frame II. Such a creepy fucking game. The section with the possessed life sized doll thing? Ugh.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know it pulls a lot from STALKER, and isn't even a quarter as creepy as the original book, but no one mentioned the atmosphere in Metro 2033?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    It's not so much outright fear as I am constantly on edge the entire time I'm playing. It's strange in that it may be the only game I've ever played where I was enjoying the experience and yet did not find it even remotely relaxing, and usually games are one of the main ways I blow off steam. It's like when I finish a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. session I need to play some other, less intense game just to unwind.
    I have that, especially when it's night and visibility is pretty bad. Hearing that there's creatures around but I barely see anything beyond the circle illuminated by the flashlight... Shudder.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd say Fatal Frame was the game that scared me the most. Not in terms of jumps or shocks but such an oppressive atmosphere that the tension builds to the point where you just don't want to walk down the next corridor anymore because you can't take the strain.

I told myself I didn't finish it due to the atrocious controls in combat. Thinking back I may have been kidding myself.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Darkman gave me nightmares at age 9 because I kept seeing his bandaged hand reaching over the railing of my bunk bed.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Silent Hill 1-3 were all terrifying experiences when they first came out, but as I grew older and replayed them over and over again i've come to view them as true works of art in the horror genre. They are beautiful, disturbing and emotionally draining adventures down the darkest paths of a cult and their everlasting effect on the town.

4 just made me want to go outside. But goddamn did it do it in the creepiest way possible.

Amnesia was certainly one of the most recently released games to earn my "enough to make me lose some sleep" list. I was impressed enough from the little bit of Penumbra I had played to put my $20 of faith into them and it paid off well.

The Resident Evil REmake was gorgeous, and while the OMG DOG THROUGH THE WINDOW OHFUCK ME scares wore off after a while, I still felt a massive amount of regret surge through me as I would start walking down a dusty hallway. Was it because I was terrified of the Crimson Head motherfuckers, or was it simply because Chris was holding his side and limping and I have no save ribbons god damn it? Probably a little of both.

Eternal Darkness was another gamecube classic that I take for a spin at least once a year. From the cheap and easy scares
    fucking bathtub
    to the more intense thrills like the game acting like it reset, the Pious smile screen and especially the sublime changes like the paintings.

Killer7 was pretty damn freaky, some Heavens Smile placements still get to me this day. And a lot of the scenes/situations that occured were enough to make hairs stand on end. There's a few places where it forgets to take itself seriously and that can break the immersion but hell, I'm used to it by now with Suda51.

There was a PS2 game my best friend Greg and I stumbled upon at a gamestop about 5 years ago called Echo Night: Beyond. From what I remember of the plot, you were a husband visiting a space ship to see his wife only to find that everyone is dead (hey this sounds familiar) and no trace of waifu. You run into a lot of depressed cosmonaut ghosts and have to deal with their emotional baggage but the game itself has some frightening moments that still chill me a bit to think about it. Due to the space suit you wear, your movement is heavily restricted. This is not so good of a thing when you're trying to run the hell away from a vengeful spirit girl who wants to end you right there in that tight corridor. Slow and steady kills the astronaut.

That's a few I can think of right now, but thanks to this thread I have remembered that I have a horror game that has been needing my attention since it came into my possession a few months ago. And thanks to you guys, this game is resting in the disc tray of my old, dusty xbox vanilla and I am about to close the tray. About to be experienced for the first time:
    x8Psf.jpg

I'll see you gents on the other side.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've played pretty much every "scariest game" out there.
    Amnesia, the original Silent Hill, and Siren: Blood Curse win. Without a doubt.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Silent Hill 1-3 were all terrifying experiences when they first came out, but as I grew older and replayed them over and over again i've come to view them as true works of art in the horror genre. They are beautiful, disturbing and emotionally draining adventures down the darkest paths of a cult and their everlasting effect on the town.

4 just made me want to go outside. But goddamn did it do it in the creepiest way possible.

Amnesia was certainly one of the most recently released games to earn my "enough to make me lose some sleep" list. I was impressed enough from the little bit of Penumbra I had played to put my $20 of faith into them and it paid off well.

The Resident Evil REmake was gorgeous, and while the OMG DOG THROUGH THE WINDOW OHFUCK ME scares wore off after a while, I still felt a massive amount of regret surge through me as I would start walking down a dusty hallway. Was it because I was terrified of the Crimson Head motherfuckers, or was it simply because Chris was holding his side and limping and I have no save ribbons god damn it? Probably a little of both.

Eternal Darkness was another gamecube classic that I take for a spin at least once a year. From the cheap and easy scares
    fucking bathtub
    to the more intense thrills like the game acting like it reset, the Pious smile screen and especially the sublime changes like the paintings.

Killer7 was pretty damn freaky, some Heavens Smile placements still get to me this day. And a lot of the scenes/situations that occured were enough to make hairs stand on end. There's a few places where it forgets to take itself seriously and that can break the immersion but hell, I'm used to it by now with Suda51.

There was a PS2 game my best friend Greg and I stumbled upon at a gamestop about 5 years ago called Echo Night: Beyond. From what I remember of the plot, you were a husband visiting a space ship to see his wife only to find that everyone is dead (hey this sounds familiar) and no trace of waifu. You run into a lot of depressed cosmonaut ghosts and have to deal with their emotional baggage but the game itself has some frightening moments that still chill me a bit to think about it. Due to the space suit you wear, your movement is heavily restricted. This is not so good of a thing when you're trying to run the hell away from a vengeful spirit girl who wants to end you right there in that tight corridor. Slow and steady kills the astronaut.

That's a few I can think of right now, but thanks to this thread I have remembered that I have a horror game that has been needing my attention since it came into my possession a few months ago. And thanks to you guys, this game is resting in the disc tray of my old, dusty xbox vanilla and I am about to close the tray. About to be experienced for the first time:
    x8Psf.jpg

I'll see you gents on the other side.

Godspeed, sir.

(And make sure to come back and tell us about it!)

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

The book is even scarier

Like, just soul shattering

But yea, System Shock 2, and

that fucking cyborg in space quest 4, god DAMN

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really need to play through Siren on the PS3, I absolutely love it but just find it both terrifying and confusing. I'm never -quite- sure what I'm supposed to be doing, and playing it with a guide sort of takes away the fear.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SS2 was scary because you know you had a chance to avoid their pipes, it was all a question of ducking or running, which made getting surprised by one all the more dreadful because you knew you had to fight.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Davoid wrote: »

The book is even scarier

Book?
    It's a short story.
    There are much worse out there.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Davoid wrote: »

The book is even scarier

Book?
    It's a short story.
    There are much worse out there.

Harlan Ellison is a bit strange though
    And yea there is worse, but I found the story way worse than the game

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DARK SEED!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3dGvTaQjd8

I never played it but i kinda wish I could play it (i'm also glad i never did since the game was a bastard)
    H.R. Giger at his finest.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Doom 3 scared me the most but that had nothing to do with the actual scariness and everything to do with the cheap nature of the scares...monsters coming out of areas you previously checked because a wizard did it, flashlight being useless, etc.

I haven't yet played a game that has scared me in a clever way.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Where can I get the videogame I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, nowadays?>

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I haven't yet played a game that has scared me in a clever way.
    Have you played System Shock 2 or the Thief games, especially Thief 3's Cradle mission?

I thought that many of the scares in Silent Hill (I only played SH3, mind you) were clever. The simple use of radio static whenever a creature was near was a subtle way of creating apprehension and fear without resorting to cheap Doom 3 tactics.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg