As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Link's Awakening Appreciation Thread

GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I haven't posted much around here before, but after recently playing Twilight Princess and replaying Link to the Past, I had an urge to discuss my first, and probably favourite, Zelda - Link's Awakening.

The Wikipedia entry:
After training abroad, Link is sailing back to Hyrule, but is shipwrecked in a violent storm. He awakens on Koholint Island, and is taken to the house of a kind man named Tarin, and his daughter Marin (who bears a strong resemblance to Princess Zelda). A mysterious owl tells Link that to return home, he must awaken the Wind Fish by gathering and playing the eight Instruments of the Sirens. The bosses in Link’s Awakening, who guard the Sirens’ Instruments, are said to be the Nightmares of the Wind Fish. When Link plays the Ballad of the Wind Fish with all eight Instruments, he can enter the giant egg atop Mt. Tamaranch, where the Wind Fish slumbers.

I also love the world map, which I found a nice version in the Map Thread that was here a while back:

lozso6.th.gif

(Thumbnailed for hugeness).

Anyone else have a love affair with this fine portable adventure?

Glorfindel on

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Second favorite Zelda.

Such a good goddamn game. <3 Eagle's Tower.

Elendil on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love it too, but I think my version is glitched. I heard after you beat it, you go back to the title screen, but mine just freezes on a black screen.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I spent so much time stuck on Eagle's Tower as a kid.

And then so much time glitching up the game with that warping trick. Seriously broke it doing that.

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Love this game so much.

One of the things I find most interesting is the beta History of this game. Seems it was the NES Zelda III for a while... then it kinda split in two. Half became LTTP and half became LA.

But...
    labeta3.jpg
    Classic Hyrule Map!

Ahh, I spent ages reading about this game. Memories.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    CamCam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    :^: Incredible game. I wonder if I still have it...

Cam on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Played the game over the summer. Loved it. Didn't quite grab me like LttP did, but that could be because I played LttP first many years ago, or because I knew before I started LA what would happen in the end.

Dungeons were awesome though, as always.

I think when I finally get through all the Zeldas I have, but haven't played it, I'll give this game another go.

Or I'll replay MM first, then LA.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Love this game so much.

One of the things I find most interesting is the beta History of this game. Seems it was the NES Zelda III for a while... then it kinda split in two. Half became LTTP and half became LA.

But...
    labeta3.jpg
    Classic Hyrule Map!

So is that map a similar set-up to the one from a Link to the Past, but just as if it was made for the GB?

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is my second favorite Zelda. It's also my favorite GameBoy game.

rayofash on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Glorfindel wrote:
    Love this game so much.

But...
    labeta3.jpg
    Classic Hyrule Map!

So is that map a similar set-up to the one from a Link to the Past, but just as if it was made for the GB?

Well, the development history of LA and LTTP is rather shrouded in Mystery, and both are obviously connected to the started but never completed Zelda III for NES.

Clearly this map design featured - it got picked for LTTP, it seems, and dropped for LA. Maybe once upon a time LA was LTTP, or at least had the same setting and plot. It's difficult to say. It's clear it's a beta version, though - look how empty the map is. It'd be really interesting if one day a magazine could get some information on the making of this game, though, as it clearly went through a hell of a lot of changes.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Glorfindel wrote:
    Love this game so much.

But...
    labeta3.jpg
    Classic Hyrule Map!

Well, the development history of LA and LTTP is rather shrouded in Mystery, and both are obviously connected to the started but never completed Zelda III for NES.

Clearly this map design featured - it got picked for LTTP, it seems, and dropped for LA. Maybe once upon a time LA was LTTP, or at least had the same setting and plot. It's difficult to say. It's clear it's a beta version, though - look how empty the map is. It'd be really interesting if one day a magazine could get some information on the making of this game, though, as it clearly went through a hell of a lot of changes.

See I find the development history of games, especially ones that get chopped and changed around so much, absolutely fascinating.

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    should I download these on VC seeing how I've never played them? I'm not even sure I'd like em.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I don't have a Wii, but I am pretty sure you cannot download GameBoy games on VC. However, I am sure you can get the excellent Link to the Past though.

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    should I download these on VC seeing how I've never played them? I'm not even sure I'd like em.
    Link to the Past? Hell yes. Link's Awakening, though, that's impossible.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Wikipedia doesn't have a whole lot on the BETA of this game, but it still has some pretty sweet tidbits I didn't know. Richard was actually the main character from another game?

Also, this game's ending is one of the best in the series. Probably right behind Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wikipedia doesn't have a whole lot on the BETA of this game, but it still has some pretty sweet tidbits I didn't know. Richard was actually the main character from another game?

Also, this game's ending is one of the best in the series. Probably right behind Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask.

Yeah the ending was sad how [spoiler:e359b96542]How the enemies are only fighting link because when the wind fish wakes up they'll dissapear and they just want to live[/spoiler:e359b96542].

I actually rank this as my favourite zelda. I remember boring it off a friend as a kid and playing it non stop until I finished it over the weekend, he was jealous as he hadn't finsihed it yet. I miss the roc's feather I thought that was cool.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Blaket wrote:

Yeah the ending was sad how [spoiler:d7edeb3804]How the enemies are only fighting link because when the wind fish wakes up they'll dissapear and they just want to live[/spoiler:d7edeb3804].

I actually rank this as my favourite zelda. I remember boring it off a friend as a kid and playing it non stop until I finished it over the weekend, he was jealous as he hadn't finsihed it yet. I miss the roc's feather I thought that was cool.
    It makes a reappearance in the GBC Oracle games. I think Ages even gives you an item called Roc's Cape that lets you hover a bit.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Blaket wrote:

Yeah the ending was sad how [spoiler:f7d8c25b98]How the enemies are only fighting link because when the wind fish wakes up they'll dissapear and they just want to live[/spoiler:f7d8c25b98].

It makes a reappearance in the GBC Oracle games. I think Ages even gives you an item called Roc's Cape that lets you hover a bit.
    Seasons. That's like, half the reason I prefer Seasons right there.

Elendil on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Blaket wrote:

Yeah the ending was sad how [spoiler:24cac25379]How the enemies are only fighting link because when the wind fish wakes up they'll dissapear and they just want to live[/spoiler:24cac25379].

Seasons. That's like, half the reason I prefer Seasons right there.
    You can get it with a code in Ages.

But either way Seasons > Ages

Pooch on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Even with as great as those endings are, I think I'm gonna have to disagree. Link's Awakening was even better, in my eyes.

[spoiler:d252376026]I was so sad when I watched everyone fade away. Especially Marin, watching her disappear was just heartbreaking.

Made the no deaths clear all the better, though. That alone was more valuable to me than any other sort of bonus they could have put in for a 1-life clear.[/spoiler:d252376026]

Best game in the series, if you ask me. Maybe even best game ever.
    BTP wrote:
    Played the game over the summer. Loved it. Didn't quite grab me like LttP did, but that could be because I played LttP first many years ago, or because I knew before I started LA what would happen in the end.

Well, yeah. The ending and the story leading up to it is a pretty big part of what makes this game so amazing.

Aydr on
  • Options
    Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've never actually finished the thing so I'm sitting down now and getting on that. Just made it into Tail Cave.

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    Milquetoast ThugMilquetoast Thug Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Quick question about that giant ass world map: why exactly, is the one of the sprites for the final boss (black circle with evil eyes) hanging out on the world map? He's off to the left of the wind fish egg a bit, and it makes no sense to me.

any ideas?

Milquetoast Thug on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I loved this game almost as much as a link to the past back then. In fact I like 2D Zelda more than 3D

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Quick question about that giant ass world map: why exactly, is the one of the sprites for the final boss (black circle with evil eyes) hanging out on the world map? He's off to the left of the wind fish egg a bit, and it makes no sense to me.

any ideas?
    That's not the boss, that's just a standard death mountain enemy. There are more on the map.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I played about half way through it, I'll have to go back and play it again.

Gino on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    [spoiler:0098f40cfc]I am the Windfish[/spoiler:0098f40cfc]

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Best Game Boy game ever (original GB, at least).

Not my favorite Zelda...probably 7th favorite. Still completely awesome.

It definitely had a unique feel to, different than other Zelda games. It really did feel like a dream, even before anything indicating such a thing was ever indicated. I really dug the mysterious vibe the whole game world gave off...hearing about the Windfish from those signs, listening to those owl statue things...I dunno.

I just really liked the atmosphere, and that's saying something on such a technologically limited game.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

any ideas?
    That's not the boss, that's just a standard death mountain enemy. There are more on the map.
    The moldorms? Yeah, those were standard enemies (and a boss) in ALttP too.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hey, now that this got brought up, what the heck was up with those crazy signs? I'll spoiler them just in case, but I really have no idea what they're meant for. These are the only ones I could find (I wrote them down as I played hoping to figure it out.)

[spoiler:818bf2cf22]"The Wind Fish in name only, for it is neither"
    "Music. The Fish stirs in the egg. You are there..."
    "The Wind Fish slumbers long...The Hero's life gone..."[/spoiler:818bf2cf22]

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    by far my favorite of the 2d zelda.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    Hey, now that this got brought up, what the heck was up with those crazy signs? I'll spoiler them just in case, but I really have no idea what they're meant for. These are the only ones I could find (I wrote them down as I played hoping to figure it out.)

[spoiler:a6b3f086e1]"The Wind Fish in name only, for it is neither"
    "Music. The Fish stirs in the egg. You are there..."
    "The Wind Fish slumbers long...The Hero's life gone..."[/spoiler:a6b3f086e1]
    [spoiler:a6b3f086e1]First one sounds like a stating of the obvious that the Wind Fish isn't actually the wind, and that it's really more a whale (which aren't fish).

Second one sounds like a premonition of the very end of the game, the music being the instruments, which opens the egg when you're there for them to play.

That last one...really is the most interesting. Since the game is alleged to be the Wind Fish's dream at the very end (if I remember right), does that imply that the shipwreck had left Link actually dead, and he was actually questing through some sort of afterlife, or limbo?[/spoiler:a6b3f086e1]

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    MakMak Registered User new member
    edited January 2007

But...
    labeta3.jpg
    Classic Hyrule Map!

That screen was originally published in Nintendo Power magazine vol 44, January 1993.

zelda4gameboy.jpg

Link's Awakening was made from most of the same staff from A Link to the Past, and I figured those maps were used to test out the engine. There's a few small references to A Link to the Past, including the The Eastern Palace above as the shrine where you learn the truth about the island.

I still play the original in black and white occassionally, its got one of the best endings in the series.

Mak on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My third favorite Zelda game behind TP and OOT. Definitely the best 2D one in my eyes. It feels pretty different from other Zelda games for me, I don't really know why. It's probably the most odd in general.

Also: I would kill and die for a remake in 3D. Anyone with me?

bruin on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:
    My third favorite Zelda game behind TP and OOT. Definitely the best 2D one in my eyes. It feels pretty different from other Zelda games for me, I don't really know why. It's probably the most odd in general.

I've had enough of buying Zelda games I've already beaten over and over again. I'd rather get an all new game built off a souped up Twilight Princess engine, like Majora's Mask was to Ocarina of Time.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:

I've had enough of buying Zelda games I've already beaten over and over again. I'd rather get an all new game built off a souped up Twilight Princess engine, like Majora's Mask was to Ocarina of Time.
    I wouldn't take it in place of the next Zelda, but I still want it.

bruin on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is my favourite Zelda 2d game, with the super nintendo one behind it.

I got Link's Awakening DX, the one for gameboy colour, it was a lot of fun but some spots I would just get stuck in. I was stuck in the last dungeon for such a long time until I got the guide and found out there was a random breakable wall in a random room that you got the item of the dungeon in so you could proceed to the boss room. I loved it.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    Sky DemonSky Demon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The first Zelda game I've ever beaten and such a wonderfully twisted ending for any game of that time.
    It took me forever to beat the last boss though, because [spoiler:a35b58f6bc]I couldn't figure out that you could jump over the arms (tentacles?) of his last form.[/spoiler:a35b58f6bc]
    I really wish Nintendo would release some kind of collection with this, the Oracle games and even The Minish Cap for the DS.

Sky Demon on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:

No.

Sorry, to me this game was perfect in it's 2D, black and white glory.

Though DX is ok, except [spoiler:39e2d07b4a]the no-deaths ending on the GB version is much better.[/spoiler:39e2d07b4a]

Also the color dungeon is cool but the tunics are pointlessly powerful. You don't need them, and the game is better with the challenge of the normal tunic. That's optional though so I won't complain.

I don't think I want them to really rework this game. The 2D just worked so well for it that I'm afraid of what might happen in a transition to 3D.

Though, come to think of it, I'd really kind of like to see those Marin scenes in 3D. But... What would Marin look like? I really don't want to see Marin look like Zelda, like the game claimed. She really looks more like Malon to me.

I would be crushed if she looked like Zelda. Marin's really what made the game for me.

Aydr on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Aydr wrote:
    bruin wrote:

No.

Though DX is ok, except [spoiler:05fe044304]the no-deaths ending on the GB version is much better.[/spoiler:05fe044304]

Also the color dungeon is cool but the tunics are pointlessly powerful. You don't need them, and the game is better with the challenge of the normal tunic. That's optional though so I won't complain.

I don't think I want them to really rework this game. The 2D just worked so well for it that I'm afraid of what might happen in a transition to 3D.

Though, come to think of it, I'd really kind of like to see those Marin scenes in 3D. But... What would Marin look like? I really don't want to see Marin look like Zelda, like the game claimed. She really looks more like Malon to me.

I would be crushed if she looked like Zelda. Marin's really what made the game for me.

I needed the blue tunic. 14 hearts max with no fairies to bring you back to full health (except for that other thing you buy)? Yikes.

And yes about Marin/Malon. Take Malon, give her the blue dress, give her longer and wider hair, BAM! You have Marin.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Aydr wrote:
    bruin wrote:

No.

Though DX is ok, except [spoiler:70eb8791dd]the no-deaths ending on the GB version is much better.[/spoiler:70eb8791dd]

She's a trophy in Super Smash Brothers Melee... which apparently everyone has forgotten.

220marin.jpg

best picture I could find. you get it from unlocking the sound test.

so, in short, Nintendo has already made her in 3D.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Aydr wrote:
    bruin wrote:

No.

Though DX is ok, except [spoiler:581d7822ef]the no-deaths ending on the GB version is much better.[/spoiler:581d7822ef]

She's a trophy in Super Smash Brothers Melee... which apparently everyone has forgotten.

220marin.jpg

best picture I could find. you get it from unlocking the sound test.

so, in short, Nintendo has already made her in 3D.

Yes, but I like to ignore that because it doesn't look quite right to me, and since it's just a trophy, I can.

Her hair should be redder and such. Even before Ocarina came out, and despite the pitcure of her in the manual, I always pictured her as looking pretty much exactly like Malon does.

And if I could beat the game, no deaths, without special tunics back in the classic, non-DX version of Link's Awakening, when I was 7 and had never owned another video game (not counting the Commodore 64 back at the early edges of my memory), then everyone else should be able to do it too.

Of course, I also never got confused by the Eagle's Tower and it was my favorite dungeon, so I guess I'm not really a fair measuring stick.

Aydr on