As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter: Oh no! [Main] is the worst now! I'm switching to [buffed alt]!

ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA!Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
17_colors07.jpg

24e2x75.jpg

2ch6lxk.jpg21ljx9w.jpgjgo4d1.jpg21jbqep.jpg7237lx.jpgvxkuq9.jpgf40ght.jpg
2wqspau.jpg33csvhz.jpg3wx3t.jpg34jbreb.jpg4ram3d.jpg21b6lb9.jpg11qrct0.jpg
2d0njuh.jpgdzv4nd.jpgnoc174.jpg2rlzo0o.jpg2mxegyf.jpg1108z1f.jpg2m4u5bo.jpg
2cdzy3r.jpg23msisk.jpg2d7uf6b.jpg2ih2lcl.jpgzoewwg.jpg33b1w8n.jpgzluh39.jpg
2pr89xs.jpgfeqb1c.jpg2dsiu8l.jpg2i6ow7r.jpg122n592.jpg2zqrg2r.jpgnmyst1.jpg

Arcade Edition stuff. List of Arcade Changes (take it with a grain of salt, this shit will probably change a lot)
More current changes for Ryu/Boxer/Cammy/Guy/Viper
New Costumes, pictures and complete release schedule.
OMJEZUS Ryu/Boxer/Viper/Cammy/Guy Changes!
Amagads! Juri/Fei Long/Vega/Rufus/Ken Changes!
WTFRAK? Chun/Fuerte/Cody/Sakura Changes!
HEY! Honda/Ibuki/Rose/Gouken Changes!
Listen! Blanka/Abel/Gen/Makoto Changes!
Oh my! Guile/Hakan/DeeJay/Seth Changes!
Great Scott! Dhalsim/Bison/T. Hawk/Akuma/Adon Changes!
Yun - A guide.

So you wanna be a Street Fighter?
Step 1: Fundamentals
The information in the spoiler will help you get started!
Gooteck's Guide for Beginners
The Footsies Handbook
A list of common Street Fighter notations
A glossary of common Street Fighter terms
Shoryuken New Player Forum
What to practice in practice mode.
Sirlin's Playing to Win Guide- Deals with mindsets and strategy.
Know your character! - a bit shallow, but good for basics
Know your character some more! Getting a little deeper.
[vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onvtbvgU_Rk"]Vesper Arcade Guide[/vidurl], pretty good for total newbies, gets into more advanced stuff in later chapters.
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDMboPnznJc]Video on hit confirming.[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHHoGHcgK9k]Video on option selects[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBUe7HkRkNM]Video on spacing and zoning[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFTvXXoDNRA]First in a good series[/vidurl] of videos on zoning, knockdown and something else good that I forgot.
Vesper Arcade shows you how to do the trials
Step 2: Getting more serious.
More information than you thought existed, and arcade stick info.
The Street Fighter Wiki page
Eventhubs.com
How to read frame data.
Shoryuken Forums - Character specific forums are great!
Why good players lose to bad ones.

The best thing you can do is play people better than you. Losing sucks but you learn a lot more than from people who you just steamroll. Get in lobbies with other PAers, since we run the whole skill spectrum. They're nice and will help you with advice and stuff. Furthermore, in Super, you can watch your own replays to see why you lost! How cool is that?
Step 2a: Getting a fight stick.
The Joystick Rant
Just buy a god damn TE. Don't ask in the thread, don't second guess it, don't read reviews online, don't poll your friends. Do you know what everyone is going to tell you? GO BUY A GOD DAMN TE. You know what people will say if you ask if you should get an SE? Save yourself the trouble and buy a TE. And then you'll be like "Why is the TE so much better than the SE?" and we'll all say "The buttons suck and you'll have to replace them and it just saves a lot of time and probably money just to get the TE." And then you'll ask us "But what about a Hori stick? I heard those are good." And then everyone will say "Yeah those are okay but they're not as good as the TE or even the SE because it's harder to mod" and then some silly goose will say "Hey, I like Hori's" just to confuse you but then someone else will be like "Yeah Hori's are fine but is it better then the TE?" and the original silly goose will be like "Oh no nothing is better than the TE" because nothing is better than the TE. And then you'll ask us why the TE is so good and the answers will invariably involve the modability, out of the box professional quality parts and the overall sexiness and build quality. But then of course because you have to make this difficult you'll say "I can't use Japanese parts because I need an octo gate, I can't use a square gate, also I need a bat top and some sort of adapter to make it work and blah blah blah" and invariably someone will come in and link you all the things you just mentioned above and tell you where to buy it from.

So I just saved the whole thread like three pages of people trying to be the first to recommend the TE and the ridiculous questions that come with it. JUST. BUY. THE. T. E.

Now that we have that out of the way, here are some stick related links:
The SRK Tech Talk Forums: Everything you need to know to mod or build your own stick.
Switching from a pad to a stick.
Arcade Stick Guide - Complete with reviews, faq and glossary!
Slagcoin's Ridiculously In Depth Joystick Guide
[vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsME37GrqjY"]Ways to hold a joystick[/vidurl]
Step 3: Watching the pros, learning the matches
Penny Arcade Competitive Battling - Now with 100% less teams! RanBats on quasi indefinite hold
RanBats!
RanBat Season 3 (Current)
Ranbat Season 2
Season 2 Finals
Ranbat Season 1 Spreadsheet
Okay, revised ranbat rules for added clarification.
First off, let's start with some definitions:
  • RanBat - RANking BATtle. It's what you're reading about. Players compete in tournaments to earn points and get ranked based on how many points they have earned.
  • Round - A single round. The announcer usually yells "ROUND X" before these start, with X being the round number. In between rounds, a player does not access any menus and cannot change characters.
  • Game - A grouping of rounds, usually best of three or five rounds. After a game ends (online at least) both players are returned to the lobby ready screen and character select.
  • Match - A collection of games against one specific human opponent during a single round or period of a ranbat.

Next: generic ranbat rules.
  • 99 second, best of three rounds, best of three games in a match unless otherwise specified.
  • All characters allowed.
  • Only the loser may switch characters, the winner may not switch characters, but is allowed to change ultras if desired.
Nextly, scheduling and signups!
  • All ranbats @9pm eastern!
  • Xbox 360 ranbats on Tuesday
  • PM ChaosHat on 360
  • Log onto IRC at the start time!

Anyways, onto the actual RanBatting.
There are two phases to a ranbat night, the pools period, and the playoffs period. The exact structure of these is up to the organizer, but here are some formats you can expect. First, the pools period. There are two ways the pools period is run generally, depending on turnout. On especially low turnout nights, it is not unprecedented to skip pools. The pools period is meant to select the players who will go to the playoffs period, usually a top 4 (but potentially more in the event of large turnout). Regardless of whichever method is chosen, it is vitally important that you record your match wins and losses, as well as the games wins and losses, as the games wins/losses can be used to break a tie in the event two people have identical match records.

The Pools Period!
When the time comes, the RanBat organizer will randomize the list of entrants and post this random list. You will find your name on this list and play the three people above you and three people below you on the list. You will (as of season three) earn two points per match win at this phase. After this, you'll report your record (usually in IRC) to the organizer who will compile the data and determine who moves on to...

The Playoffs Period!
Playoffs will now be a single elimination bracket of the top four players, mostly to save on time. Just for making it to the top 4, you will earn one point. You will also earn two more points for each match you win while in the playoffs.

At the end of the season, the top players will be put into a big asynchronous RanBat finals bracket to determine the overall season winner!

The PA Fighting Game Community!
We have a friends list, you can access it here!
First, enter your data here, using this form!
Then, you can view the list of players here.

If you're on the 360, you can add the metafriend: A PA SSF4

We also made a super cool IRC room! #PAFighting at irc.slashnet.org:6667 You can use this web client if you're SUPER UNCOOL. So people know, we are naming ourselves LFG_YourName in irc if you're looking for a lobby, and LFM_YourName if you're looking for more people! Simply use /nick to change your name in chat. You should use a non web client because sometimes the web client breaks while the server is still up for some unknown reason. If you need help configuring IRC, Blackbeard made this super cool guide:
How to get mIRC working

Step 1: Go to http://www.mirc.com/ and click Download mIRC and install it. Just do all the basic stuff and let it do its thing. It's pretty fast.

Step 2: Go file > select server. Under connect, click on servers. Then click the Add button that appears on the right. Under description, put whatever you want. Under IRC server, put irc.slashnet.org, ports put 6667, and for group put #PAFighting. Password leave blank. Hit ok when done.

Step 3: Click connect again on the left menu, and fill out the nickname box and other info (I had to also do full name and email before it stopped giving me shit. I also unchecked invisible mode in case it did what it sounded like). Click the connect button under those info boxes, and wait a sec. A box should pop up asking what channel to join. Enter #PAFighting and click join. That should do it. If you get an error at this step, you may have to reopen the server select menu, click on firewall, and add port 6667. I had to, but your mileage may vary.

Know anything I'm missing? Let me know and I'll add it.

ChaosHat on

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    For the record shady, octogates are the best for everything except:
    1. combos into charge ultra from a down, up motion (ie, Balrog's headbutt into ultra, Chun's Ex SBK into ultra)
    2. 2149 motions (easier to find the corner)
    3. Super jump cancels (mostly for the above reason)

Go octo for everything else. Although I haven't used one in forever.

Come on now, this has been discussed to death. Arguing that something is "best" always pales in comparison to personal preference.

Additionally, one can argue that square gates are "best" for all purposes because you get equal triggering areas in all 8 directions.

I'm not saying one argument or the other is correct, but it can be argued both ways. My personal belief is that personal preference > all.

House of Paincakes on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No. Best.

ChaosHat on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I see that Hat is being his usual self.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Octogates are a crutch!

DaSniper91 on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wish the costumes were free. Now that I'm in college, I can't justify buying them. :/

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's an update for the PS3 ver. Anyone know what for?

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Airan wrote: »

I assumed it was the new costumes?

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Yep, it's for the costumes.

Also, HOORAY for 3f c.lk for Guy! I've never played a character with a 3 frame normal. This is going to be fun!

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
    edited October 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

I know right? It's super reasonable to think that I was making a declarative statement that is true for all people instead of exaggerating even though, as House said it's been discussed and have gone on record saying it almost doesn't matter at all and is far, far less important than actual skill, and that I just said I'm currently using a square gate. I must really hate those square gates.

tl;dr - I see Hiryu is being his usual self.

ChaosHat on
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, what is it with the sand in everyone's vagina lately?

Can't we all just set aside our differences and punch each other in the face like civilized human beings?

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yep, it's for the patches.

Also, HOORAY for 3f c.lk for Guy! I've never played a character with a 3 frame normal. This is going to be fun!

Boo guy sucks.

aBlank on
    edited October 2010
    I will GLADLY mail bottles of Johnson's No More Tears Baby Shampoo to various people in this thread that seem to need it. For free.

Seriously. PM me.

ChaosHat on
    edited October 2010
    Like I said Hat, you and I always never seem to "get" each other's posts. I did in fact know you were being your usual exaggerated self. We've done this dance before, don't you remember? And we always end up talking about how our signals cross.

tldr: Chillax, I was just pushing your buttons.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
    edited October 2010
    ChaosHat on
    edited October 2010
    I've always thought of myself more as a Creed.

Hiryu02 on
    edited October 2010
    Creed is the best secondary character by far.

ChaosHat on
    edited October 2010
    Creed is the man.

So, query, in your guys eyes, what do you think the best way to practice and improve is.

I am grinding on the PS3 trying not to scream when it lags despite having more fun / being a better fighter on the 360, but the tourneys are on PS3.

Just grind ranked?

I played a guy I met at the last tourney last night and the night before, grinded 25 matches, losing one. I wasn't learning anything, per se, but it was helping with execution.

That good or bad? i.e., do I keep letting that guy practice against me so I can work on execution or abandon him?

Bizazedo on
    edited October 2010
    Honestly man, this is the trick: I play on Xbox, but all the stuff at EVO was on PS3. So what did I do?

SO:

Play on Xbox, or offline preferably, and get your links/execution down. Then one the tourney day, arrive early, even the day before, and play casuals on PS3 ALL DAY to adjust your timing. Then play the tourney and beast. You should not be trying to actively learn execution online at all if you can help it. Play on xbox if it feels better, and just get warmed up on PS3 for the event itself.

Hiryu02 on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    its different for biz though since he's on pad... so he has to not only get used to the timing.. but also the different controller.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited October 2010
    Poop. I forgot about that. Any option of getting the pad padhacked so he can play on both systems? I also know a few guys locally with these weirdo adaptors so they can play xbox pad on ps3 and dreamcast.

Hiryu02 on
    edited October 2010
    Poop. I forgot about that. Any option of getting the pad padhacked so he can play on both systems? I also know a few guys locally with these weirdo adaptors so they can play xbox pad on ps3 and dreamcast.

That's possible?

Oh my god.

I got the Power A controller for that purpose, but the damn thing is slightly different from the 360 controller, just enough to piss me off (specifically the angles which it considers a "down" input on the analog and how sensitive the shoulder buttons are).

If I could just my 360 one, I'd be oh so happy.

Bizazedo on
  • rabblerouserrabblerouser Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    is it actually good to play on those heavy crt tvs? I was thinking about getting the evo 2009 monitor but not if it's gonna mess me up

rabblerouser on
    edited October 2010
    Let me do some research Biz, I know a guy that mods sticks for a living, I'll get back to you shortly if I get some info from him.

Hiryu02 on
    edited October 2010
    is it actually good to play on those heavy crt tvs? I was thinking about getting the evo 2009 monitor but not if it's gonna mess me up

CRT's have NO LAG. However, they are heavy and old as you said. The ASUS evo monitor is tourney standard, affordable, and also does not lag. Best choice provided you use HDMI.

Hiryu02 on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i played ssf4 for the first time in a long time this morning. good times. i played vs this blanka guy for like an hour in an endless lobby.

Ah_Pook on
    edited October 2010
    Biz, can you get in IRC? if not I'll just post here.

Hiryu02 on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i played ssf4 for the first time in a long time this morning. good times. i played vs this blanka guy for like an hour in an endless lobby.

I thought you said good times?

aBlank on
    edited October 2010

Posting from work (shhhhhhh), so no can go on something like that right now.

Bizazedo on
    edited October 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I know right? It's super reasonable to think that I was making a declarative statement that is true for all people instead of exaggerating even though, as House said it's been discussed and have gone on record saying it almost doesn't matter at all and is far, far less important than actual skill, and that I just said I'm currently using a square gate. I must really hate those square gates.

tl;dr - I see Hiryu is being his usual self.

Your original post actually sounded serious to me, sorry to jumpstart this nonsense again.

On to a different topic though. I know people are bitching about Cammy losing her instant cannon strikes, but it sounds to me like her normals are going to be beastly and her combos will be a little easier. I think I'm okay with this.

House of Paincakes on
    edited October 2010

Posting from work (shhhhhhh), so no can go on something like that right now.

Ok, here's the deal then:

Stick guy tells me the official xbox 360 pad CAN NOT BE MODDED to play on PS3, it has something to do with MS making the PCB some proprietary mumbojumbo. Also, analog stick can not be hacked over either. So if you use the analog instead of the d-pad you are out of luck.

Therefore, your best option for a dual modded 360/PS3 controller is getting a MadCatz Fightpad, and modding it to use on PS3 as well. This is the only thing that consistently works, well technically you can mod a HORI pad also, but those are harder to find and harder to mod.

SO, if you are interested in getting a modded Madcatz fightpad, if you think that will work for you, just PM me and we can discuss specifics. Otherwise tell me it won't work here, and it's np.

Hiryu02 on
    edited October 2010
    Are the Madcatz pads all the same? i.e., I am fine with the current 360 pad I use. Is the PS3 Madcatz pad the same as the 360 ones?

If so, could just try that instead of modding....but it looks like a D-pad.

Bizazedo on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are the Madcatz pads all the same? i.e., I am fine with the current 360 pad I use. Is the PS3 Madcatz pad the same as the 360 ones?

If so, could just try that instead of modding....but it looks like a D-pad.

They are exactly the same on both platforms, though I believe the PS3 one is wireless and the 360 one is not. They don't have analogue sticks, though. They're all d-pad.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Technically the specs are identical, however, you HAVE to mod a 360 pad to work on PS3, it doesn't work the other way around. This is what I'm speaking of:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Street-Fighter-IV-FightPad/dp/B001M22WMO

It's a regular dpad, 6 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons, all mappable. I've used one, before I got my fightstick and will say it's a considerable step up from the stock 360 pad. What do you think?

Hiryu02 on
    edited October 2010
    I used the D-pad fine back in the good 'ol SNES days :). Might work.

Tourneys require wired, though, and if none are wired for PS3.... :(.

Damn, found a nice Bison one too 510X9optjHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bizazedo on
    edited October 2010
    Biz, the 360 one is WIRED, and WILL work on PS3, at least that's my understanding.

You can get a wired 360 pad, and mod it to work on PS3.

Hiryu02 on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

CRT's have NO LAG. However, they are heavy and old as you said. The ASUS evo monitor is tourney standard, affordable, and also does not lag. Best choice provided you use HDMI.

Plasmas have almost no lag, significantly better than most LCD's, at least when you are talking about televisions that normal people can afford.

chamberlain on
    edited October 2010
    Biz, the 360 one is WIRED, and WILL work on PS3, at least that's my understanding.

Right, but it needs to be modded to, right?. I was trying to inconvenience the least amount of people (since I'd be going through Amazon, through you, or having people take me to a Gamestop or something).

Looks like there's no choice, though.

...ah, fudge it, lets try it.

Bizazedo on
    edited October 2010
    Biz, the guy can buy the pad for you, OR you can provide it. It's up to you. I can set it up so all you do is pay the money and wait for your new, dual-modded pad in the mail.

Hiryu02 on
    edited October 2010
    Biz, I used a fightpad for a long time before getting a stick and I think the d-pad is fantastic. It might take just a little getting used to but it is great quality.

Slightly off topic, but I had planned on playing SSF4 all night yesterday but decided to try Super Meat Boy first. I couldn't put it down, it is fuckawesome.

House of Paincakes on
    edited October 2010
    Fine, fine. Let's do it. PM'ng ya, Hiryu.

Bizazedo on