Okay, revised ranbat rules for added clarification.
First off, let's start with some definitions:
Next: generic ranbat rules.
- RanBat - RANking BATtle. It's what you're reading about. Players compete in tournaments to earn points and get ranked based on how many points they have earned.
- Round - A single round. The announcer usually yells "ROUND X" before these start, with X being the round number. In between rounds, a player does not access any menus and cannot change characters.
- Game - A grouping of rounds, usually best of three or five rounds. After a game ends (online at least) both players are returned to the lobby ready screen and character select.
- Match - A collection of games against one specific human opponent during a single round or period of a ranbat.
Nextly, scheduling and signups!
- 99 second, best of three rounds, best of three games in a match unless otherwise specified.
- All characters allowed.
- Only the loser may switch characters, the winner may not switch characters, but is allowed to change ultras if desired.
Anyways, onto the actual RanBatting.
- All ranbats @9pm eastern!
- Xbox 360 ranbats on Tuesday
- PM ChaosHat on 360
- Log onto IRC at the start time!
There are two phases to a ranbat night, the pools period, and the playoffs period. The exact structure of these is up to the organizer, but here are some formats you can expect. First, the pools period. There are two ways the pools period is run generally, depending on turnout. On especially low turnout nights, it is not unprecedented to skip pools. The pools period is meant to select the players who will go to the playoffs period, usually a top 4 (but potentially more in the event of large turnout). Regardless of whichever method is chosen, it is vitally important that you record your match wins and losses, as well as the games wins and losses, as the games wins/losses can be used to break a tie in the event two people have identical match records.
The Pools Period!
When the time comes, the RanBat organizer will randomize the list of entrants and post this random list. You will find your name on this list and play the three people above you and three people below you on the list. You will (as of season three) earn two points per match win at this phase. After this, you'll report your record (usually in IRC) to the organizer who will compile the data and determine who moves on to...
The Playoffs Period!
Playoffs will now be a single elimination bracket of the top four players, mostly to save on time. Just for making it to the top 4, you will earn one point. You will also earn two more points for each match you win while in the playoffs.
At the end of the season, the top players will be put into a big asynchronous RanBat finals bracket to determine the overall season winner!