As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter: Oh no! [Main] is the worst now! I'm switching to [buffed alt]!

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dunxco wrote: »
    I would like to contribute to this discussion in some way, but I find myself severely lacking in the relevant knowledge to do so.

So I'll just give a big thumbs up to Gen and Dee Jay.
    aBlank wrote: »
    Makes me wish I could actually play Dudley and not just do show off combos in training mode.

I know what you mean. With Gen I can chain J.MK > S.HP > Rapid Slap > Super > Crane Stance Ultra 1 in training. Shame it's so hideously impractical to try and do against a live opponent because it looks fucking impressive and makes me feel like a man for all of four seconds :(

That's fairly easy to do on a live opponent actually. j.mk cross up into s.hp -> hp rapid pokes is safe on block so as soon as you see the rapid pokes connect, throw out the command for the super. If they block it, don't.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    H*R wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    do you have to buy the new costumes to see them when other people use them? a little thing popped up on me earlier saying "costume not purchased" or something to that affect

There's a free update you can download from the marketplace called the Ultra Catalog, get that and you should be good.
    Unfortunately PS3 users can't get the free catalog pack (it's not listed in the PSN store). :? Gotta pay for it to see someone else use the pack.

T-bolt on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, EVO Online in December for US+Canada. $5 entry. Top 8 get a prize pack, winner gets full paid trip and entry to EVO 2011.

I think I need to level up my Dan for some lulz.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    By that they mean 360 only.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I actually had a good session with Akuma tonight. Granted I was just playing on ranked, but I won like 8 matches out of 11 or 12. That's a bit different from my typical 1 for 10.

Maybe it was all the theory talk lately and reading Flash's whiny rant and taking a couple days off, but I was consistently punishing stupid unsafe jump-ins, played patient in a fireball war with a Ryu, pulled off my combos, was doing some pretty decent mix ups.

I are happy.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If your maining Mr Kuma, you should definitely check out that Akuma madness video that shows you what is punishable with his Demon.

The whole goal of Akuma is to Raging Demon/Wrath of the Raging Demon your opponent!

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone remember who it was that posted in here a few threads ago, saying they had a friend who would whip up some sweet TE stick art for a little cash?

Kris on
  • Options
    Nick TNick T Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kris wrote: »
    Anyone remember who it was that posted in here a few threads ago, saying they had a friend who would whip up some sweet TE stick art for a little cash?

I think MNC Dover had the friend who would do that, I was kinda interested in that myself.

Nick T on
    PSN: ConvicNic
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    I actually had a good session with Akuma tonight. Granted I was just playing on ranked, but I won like 8 matches out of 11 or 12. That's a bit different from my typical 1 for 10.

Maybe it was all the theory talk lately and reading Flash's whiny rant and taking a couple days off, but I was consistently punishing stupid unsafe jump-ins, played patient in a fireball war with a Ryu, pulled off my combos, was doing some pretty decent mix ups.

I are happy.

akumas dragons are so good no one has any business in the air against him

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nick T wrote: »

I think MNC Dover had the friend who would do that, I was kinda interested in that myself.

Yup, I know a guy who does that sorta stuff. Honestly though I have no idea what he charges. I can find out and get back to ya.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    iMattiMatt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Yup, I know a guy who does that sorta stuff. Honestly though I have no idea what he charges. I can find out and get back to ya.

Hell I've got my own PSD templates - I just need them printed! The UK seems to suck for this - if he's happy to print and ship my own stick designs I've got cash waiting!

iMatt on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    iMatt wrote: »

Hell I've got my own PSD templates - I just need them printed! The UK seems to suck for this - if he's happy to print and ship my own stick designs I've got cash waiting!

LOL, alright I'll get on that too. Do you want to PM me your templates?

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    StokedUp wrote: »
    If your maining Mr Kuma, you should definitely check out that Akuma madness video that shows you what is punishable with his Demon.

The whole goal of Akuma is to Raging Demon/Wrath of the Raging Demon your opponent!

That was actually the only problem I had last night, not being able to consistently land the Demon. I'd either jab someone or short kick them and fuck it all up.

Just watched lordofultima's Demon tutorial and learned a good bit about not messing up the input and how the super demon is a 0-frame grab (glee!).

I couldn't seem to find the punishment video but I didn't have a chance to look very hard.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'd definitely be interested in commissioning some stick art, full process. Let me know what he charges.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, EVO Online in December for US+Canada. $5 entry. Top 8 get a prize pack, winner gets full paid trip and entry to EVO 2011.

Can you post where you found this?

There are worse ways I could lose $5.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

5-Buck-Box-Taco-Bell.jpg

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not mashing for throw techs is my new lesson for people to improve their game. It's as important as being able to block cross ups.

I.e., guess who spent 50 matches last night not mashing and noticed improvements?

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm still teching throws only by predicting. I never OS because I never remember and haven't really tried it.

Also I am totally going to register for that online tourney.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kinderparty winning a trip to EVO 2011.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kinderparty paying for a trip to EVO 2011 out of pocket.

Fixed.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm double down fort that tourney. Scrubbin it up with Adon and Dudley all day.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd be willing to try if I could beat some of you guys more reliably and not just once in a blue moon.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    T-bolt wrote: »
    H*R wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    do you have to buy the new costumes to see them when other people use them? a little thing popped up on me earlier saying "costume not purchased" or something to that affect

There's a free update you can download from the marketplace called the Ultra Catalog, get that and you should be good.
    Unfortunately PS3 users can't get the free catalog pack (it's not listed in the PSN store). :? Gotta pay for it to see someone else use the pack.
    So what was that 12MB thing I had to download before playing yesterday? Boo-urns!

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pretty sure it was posted before, but there are new episodes:

Adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross!

http://www.youtube.com/user/crosscountertv#p/c/4C66A7C8B50E7CFD/7/M-2sqfvIUlY

There's a playlist of 8 games. Commentary is pretty godlike.

aBlank on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Kinderparty paying for a trip to EVO 2011 out of pocket and going 0-2 in pools.

Double Fixed.

Disclaimer: I keed. I keed.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Not mashing for throw techs is my new lesson for people to improve their game. It's as important as being able to block cross ups.

I.e., guess who spent 50 matches last night not mashing and noticed improvements?

Spotting people trying to OS tech and punishing with frame traps is what I'm trying to improve in my game.

Speaking of improving one's game, I decided to play some ranked last night, and a high BP low PP Ken joins my game. The entire match all he would do was jump back hk, and wakeup dp when knocked down.

Why is this person still playing the game? You would think that this far after release that player would at least be attempting to learn the game / character. What possible enjoyment can someone get from this game if they aren't trying to at least get better? I know I did a big spiel yesterday about not being, "in it to win it", but I don't find any satisfaction in playing a character and doing the same dumb shit over and over. Improving one's game should be a point of anyone's regardless of whether or not you want to win EVO.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

<3 the part where Mike Ross is playing Cody and whiffs EX.bingo and then spams into Ultra. "GIMMICKS!" :mrgreen:

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You would think a person would learn a bit by playing for a while. Like, that wakeup
    DPs are going to get you killed.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Grove wrote: »

I'd definitely be interested in commissioning some stick art, full process. Let me know what he charges.

Thanks for finding out for us Dover! :D

Kris on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have been running Guy exclusively on ranked for a few weeks now.

I'm sticking by my choice of no projectiles.

Althought my friend and I almost started a drinking game with how many Kens, Sagats and Akumas I had to fight.

It's nice pulling an upset victory from people with almost 2x the BP and PP than you.

On another note -- I fought another Guy last night who was able to LP into either the LK or MK Hurricane Kick for Guy. I need to try to get that combo figured out. I also need to get better with landing my target combo, but most people crouch block so its elbow drops and neckbreakers. I like the sickle for the guaranteed knockdown -- but there is a long recovery on that flip.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anyone going to be around this afternoon for fights?

I've got a fight night tomorrow and would like some practice.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man I was playing last night from like 4-5am and wow, there were nothing but highly ranked people.
    It was fantastic. I need to become a night owl.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I can already tell this is going to be great.

"That was a good trade."

"Pleasure doing business with ya!"

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I find good players are the only ones on in the wee hours. No one else would want to play sf at that time I guess.

Never try to grind some points at 2 am.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anyone here play a decent Rose or Cody? I've having problems with those two as Adon, as both of them seem to be able to stuff JK's on reaction with bingo or mk slide.

I definitely need to get some games in and break those matchups down.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We could try Alpha 2/3 on GGPO. Rose is my sub.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Do they host? I can't imagine them finding good opponents if they search.

Of course, there's probably some hysterically bad players.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't think the mechanics really transfer over to 4's engine though. I'm training to beat two local players in Super, and so I'm looking for practice in that game specifically. I'm also only on xbox, don't know if that makes a difference.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

The following details were revealed during the live Wakeup SRK broadcast tonight. The recorded podcast will be uploaded tomorrow if you want to listen in on the Q&A session or hear the rest of the show.

* The Online tournament, run by Galaxy4Gamers, will start on December 11th at 12 noon PST. It should take about 6 hours if you are advancing all the way, unless an unexpected number of people enter.
    * The top 8 finals will be held on Dec 18th, consisting of winners from each regional bracket. You should only be fighting people from your region until you make top 8.
    * The finals will be live streamed with commentary.
    * Only $5 to enter the event, and the 1st place finisher gets an trip to Evo 2011, including airfare, hotel, and tournament fees.
    * A special prize will be announced later, and it is something Evo has never given out before. Everyone in the top 8 will get some kind of prize.
    * This event is Xbox 360 only, but if successful, a PS3 event will be considered in the future.
    * Anyone in the USA or Canada may enter, as long as their home state does not ban them from entry by law.
    * Galaxy4Gamers has a lot of rules and regulations, and various checks like IP and Address, to keep people from cheating the system.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I don't think the mechanics really transfer over to 4's engine though. I'm training to beat two local players in Super, and so I'm looking for practice in that game specifically. I'm also only on xbox, don't know if that makes a difference.

It does, I'm on PS3.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png