As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Video Pinball] Pinball FX 2 is on the Humble Bundle! Get it now!

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I really get a No Fear Pinball vibe from Ghost Rider, like the table just stepped out of the 90's. To be honest, I don't consider that a bad thing.

no_fear3.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited December 2011
    2012 should be a good year for pinball if all the stars align. Farsight Studios is supposed to release The Pinball Arcade on XBLA/PSN, and Zen will keep making tables too (I'm looking forward to Epic Quest in Particular, which some people got on PSN early, but the rest of us will get it in January):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRl8MtdM59c&feature=g-u

DoctorArch on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    What is The Pinball Arcade?

Also, guess who just learned how to Bangback (Death Save?)on Pinball FX 2! It should be noted that it's different for Zen and FX. Zen Pinball has Nudge Down, which when pushed, causes an easy bangback. In FX2, they intentionally took out Nudge Down because they found Nudge Down was not realistic. I think it would be the equivalent of yanking the table toward you.

So if you fall down the side gutter, you press diagonally Up+Direction ball is rolling, so:

Fell on left gutter, rolling right: Press Up + Right
    Fell on right gutter, rolling left: Press Up + Left.

Excalibur is getting a spanking soon :winky:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    The Pinball Arcade is Farsight Studios' (the guys who did the Williams Pinball Collection) attempt at capturing that old magic on XBLA/PSN. What probably separates them from Zen is the licensed tables, of which the first few will be Tales of the Arabian Nights and Theater of Magic. Supposedly it comes out early in 2012.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'm enjoying the new Marvel pack, and hugely anticipating Pinball Arcade. Loved both of Farsight's HOF collections, looking forward to more licensed tables. Hopefully they don't skimp on the old classic electromechanical tables, those are invariably my favorites any time I visit the Seattle Pinball Museum.

On the subject of the Marvel pack, someone mentioned Ghost Rider reminding him of '90s tables. I like the Thor table specifically because it plays like a real table from the late '70s, early '80s. Gorgar came to mind almost immediately.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Ugh, an annoying first for me ... I lost a ball due to the achievement/medal animation.
    Got the one for finishing all the missions on Thor, while my ball was racing towards the drain. I couldn't see it to react and save it in time. Bleh ... =_=

• Gaspode_TGaspode_T Registered User regular
    There is a Pinball HD collection on iOS that is decent, I like Zen Studios games better but the Pinball HD feels a little bit over the top if that's what you like (well, besides having demons spitting fire in the Slayer table...)

I tried Marvel Pinball on PS3..I figured flippers would be the analog triggers but it's mapped to the other ones instead, it felt kind of awkward to hit them and made my hand hurt after a while. I got a pretty decent Spiderman score on my first try and obliterated my only friend who has this game and got to see the Pinball Hero CG - probably the first and only time that will happen! Feel free to add me on PSN and knock me off 'gaspode_t' there. I don't think I will double dip on the other tables, I got Marvel Pinball for free through PSN+ thing.

Gaspode The Talking Wonder Dog
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gaspode_t TwitPic: http://twitpic.com/photos/gaspode_t
  • clodacloda Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a blast with these new Marvel V&V tables. My favourite by far is:
    - X-men: very nice flow, tough but fair, seems more complicated at first than what it actually is, have to work hard for extra balls and get rewarded one for beating Wizard mode (Spelling X-Men).
    - followed by Moon Knight: Very nice flow as well, nice variety in missions, personally don't like the wizard mode glowing balls... to hard to see so frustrates me a bit, extra balls are way easy to get
    - Thor: Is quite nice but actually very little happening on the table (5 missions + Wizard mode and two multi-balls), Wizard mode is a beast... think it is going to take a lot of tries for me to get it as it resets the table if you fail, extra balls quite tough to get.
    - Ghost Rider: Also very nice to play with some variety but the big problem for me with the table is that you don't have to complete the missions to get to Wizard mode, Wizard mode is quite easy (can be completed in less than 10 shots), you get awarded 5 extra balls per original ball like Paranormal and they are very easy to get (Super Skill Shot that gets activated by going around the orbits but over the bridge three times), multiplier can increase indefinitely and they are easy to activate and to hold (also Super Skill Shot - first three orbits through bridge light right video mode kickback, second three start Super skill Shot and lowest one award hold multiplier and third three the lowest one light extra ball).

All in all I think all the tables are going to have high scores well above a Billion... X-men maybe around 5, Moon Knight around 2, Thor around 2 (Edit: Somebody already scored more than 4Bil!) and Ghost Rider 10Bil+. For me X-Men is the stand out table in the long run.

cloda on
    *cries a little inside*
    I had a run-through of the final mission on X-Men tonight. It requires you to repair the ice bridge, clear wreckage, and make any 20 ramp shots all at the same time on a 3-ball multiball. Wouldn't you know that I manage to accomplish ALL of that, and then miss "HIT THE CENTER OF THE BOARD WHILE MAGNETO IS WEAK!" to actually beat the mission and get the points and achievement. Ugh ...
    On the plus side, back to #11 on the leaderboard. Woo.
    (I bet I would have been #10 if I had beaten the mission! *pout* =P)

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    3DS version comes out January 12.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote:
    3DS version comes out January 12.

Nononononoooo....must hold out...for Steam release.....

• The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    So, somehow I missed the fact that Zen Pinball made its debut on iOS last month, with one ZP/PFX2 table and three Marvel tables available. It follows the Pinball FX 2 format of free download, tables a-la-carte, but rather than including demos of all the available tables, it gives you one full table (Sorcerer's Lair) completely free.

valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Gaspode_TGaspode_T Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how to break down the tables and get better, often I have a hard time figuring out exactly what is triggering ball save and kick backs ... do you actually figure this stuff out just by playing or are you reading the operating instructions?

I seem to get higher scores by: 1) relaxing, 2) figuring out where is losing balls for me and try to avoid that type of shot, 3) complete missions. The third is also matter of patience and practice it seems, but it can be very obscure and frustrating to figure out what to do. Is it possible to play with modified rules that make it easier to complete missions? I kind of wish Zen would put effort into helping people who suck get better. Like how Forza team added racing lines, a pinball game could have slow down mode or Bust A Move style shot guides (with high scores turned off of course)

Gaspode The Talking Wonder Dog
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gaspode_t TwitPic: http://twitpic.com/photos/gaspode_t
  • BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    I usually figure out ball saves and kick backs while playing on my first couple games. Most of them are very similar, so once you start noticing them you'll see a pattern. The majority of the kick backs are lit by spelling the word in the lower playfield lanes. If you get a nice loop going with a ramp that feeds back to the flipper, you can light them quickly and easily.

Ball saves are mostly lit by hitting all of some type of target in the upper playfield. My first game is spent getting a feel for the table, and one of my main objectives is trying the different sets of targets to see which will give a ball save. Also, some missions or events can activate ball save, so don't let that throw you. It should be fairly obvious what you did to activate it if you are being slow and deliberate with your shots.

The end ball multiplier is usually in with these, too. Most of the time it is done by spelling a word in the upper playfield lanes. Not only will it give you bonus points, usually it will give you an extra ball after getting to the max multiplier.

Keep in mind that some tables break these traditions so it really depends on which one you are playing. Don't worry about score too much until you get a handle on kick backs and ball saves. Make that your number one priority since utilizing those features will get your score much higher than anything else you do on the table. Always keep your kick backs lit!

3DS: 5026-4424-9805
    Don't be afraid to abandon the leaderboard and turn on the Slo Mo button for a round or two. Good heavens I needed it for Pasha and Excalibur. Also, see my instructions a page or two back for proper Skill Shot controls if you are on 360.

What I'd really like is slo mo with a shot trajectory line, like a golf game.

• CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    Whaddaya MEAN I missed the latest tournament? :(

Oh. It was on Ghost Rider? Hmm.

Carry on.

Whaddaya MEAN I missed the latest tournament? :(

Oh. It was on Ghost Rider? Hmm.

Carry on.

My thoughts exactly. Zen's tables relating to roads, streets and racing are consistently lame, like a Curse. Speed Machine, Extreme, V12, and now Ghost Rider.

I actually find myself disliking Ghost Rider a lot less than when I started.
    Honestly, the biggest problems are related to pretty much all the missions being inconsistent. I've had the Orb actually shoot and stun my ball when it was on the see-saw and hit him. This then seemed to screw it up as I couldn't reset it to hit him again. Death Race should be easy, yet the ball seems to skip around needlessly half the time ... Mephesto is probably the most consistent one, but it feels like there's just nothing you can do sometimes if he happens to take 4-5 shots in a row =_= And the one with the crows ... ugh ...
    Ironically enough, the final mission is about 10x easier than any of the rest. <_<

Looks like The Pinball Arcade (Farsight Studios) is out on iOS. Having a woefully outdated iDevice, I can't check it out. :(

Base game comes with Tales of the Arabian Nights for $0.99. Extra tables are in-app purchases ranging from $2 to $4.

So, when is it coming to the consoles, already?!?

Also, Epic Quest confirmed for ... I think next week. So, look out for that. <_<

Huh. I need help on the Xmen table. Regardless of playing the shit out of it, I had an event I've never seen before:

It's called X-Gene Bioscan, and you use a second plunger on the left to hit a specific target. The very first target lit up, and I hit it over and over, it would go down and come back up and the ball would fall back into the plunger. I successfully did this like ten times, but nothing would happen. Giving up, I hit the ball, full power to end the event.

Goddamn I want a Steam version now.

Bioscan is activated by hitting the right orbit repeatedly (Colossus' ramp). Once unlocked, you can hit the hidden hole (or some other way on the left side of the field I could only ever do by accident 2 or 3 times) to get the ball there. The object is to release the ball so it knocks down the flashing target and falls down the appropriate pit beneath it to return to the playing field. It's sad that some of the rewards are so useful, because I find the first 2 flags are insanely difficult to get it to work consistently.

Anyway, that's what that's about. *thumbs*

Guess I was right. Epic Quest is out today. Downloaded it, but didn't really get to play it. Lots there though, I'm quite sure. A rather annoying ball return exists from a pit you hit very often. I could see this being ... trying, in the long term.
    Anyone besides me and Celloriffic even still playing? :p

Guess I was right. Epic Quest is out today. Downloaded it, but didn't really get to play it. Lots there though, I'm quite sure. A rather annoying ball return exists from a pit you hit very often. I could see this being ... trying, in the long term.
    Anyone besides me and Celloriffic even still playing? :p

I won't stop playing until a Steam version comes out! Lately I've been trying really hard to complete the Xmen table. So far the only table I've "beaten" is Ms Splosion man. Mission driven tables are hard, and that's pretty much all of them.

Man, some still far more than others. Iron Man and Thor are particularly bad about this presently, both having these insane wizard-mode multiballs that take an age to get started and seconds to fail ...
    Moonknight and Blade are also similar to each other in that they require you to do damn near everything on the table before you can start the end-game.

It's pretty easy to complete Ghost Rider, although this is because the missions don't require you to succeed, and the wizard mode mission is actually the easiest one on the table by miles. Go figure ... <_<

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I'm still playing. I'm not very good, but I'm playing.

camo_sig2.png
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Just picked up Epic Quest.

Man, I got ok scores for the first few tables but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by them all now, there are a few I've not picked up, and most of the Achievements seem impossible at this point... still love the game though.

fragglefart.jpg
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The Pinball Arcade seems to be made by pinball fans - the physics are great, the audio is sampled well and they are picking some great tables. Tales of the Arabian Nights is hella fun, and 99 cents (it's the table of the month) is peanuts.

Shame I don't have a tablet, but it plays well on my Galaxy S II.

Absalon on
    So. Epic Quest.

I'm liking it - liking it to the point where I'm rushing through this post to squeeze in a few minutes of pinball before I leave for work. I don't know what I can say other than it flows really nicely - some interesting elements with the waterwheel and stage. Sure, the stage is lifted from Blade, but still...

@ArcticLancer You're right about that ball return. So, so right. I've had luck just holding down the right flipper when it pops out, and it seems to work OK.

@jclast Keep playing! Have fun, and don't worry about scores. Play the tables you like and enjoy them!

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    My PS3 will be here tomorrow; I can finally get Marvel Pinball. Huzzah!

XBL: Flex MythoMass
    @Celloriffic Yeah, I was doing the same thing with the right flipper after 5 minutes. It's still not great (there didn't seem to be a favourable setup to hold onto the ball or put it where you want to, you know?), but it's better than the 'freeballing' version that always made me twist a little. I wonder how more time with this will change my opinion of it ...

(Some of you may have noticed I haven't posted a score yet - I only played 1 ball for 15 minutes so far, so my impressions are VERY EARLY impressions)

(Some of you may have noticed I haven't posted a score yet - I only played 1 ball for 15 minutes so far, so my impressions are VERY EARLY impressions)

Oh dear. This is going to be another "Paranormal" situation, isn't it?

Absalon wrote:
    The Pinball Arcade seems to be made by pinball fans - the physics are great, the audio is sampled well and they are picking some great tables. Tales of the Arabian Nights is hella fun, and 99 cents (it's the table of the month) is peanuts.

Shame I don't have a tablet, but it plays well on my Galaxy S II.

I NEED THIS GAME NOW!!!

Why no 360 Auburn?

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:

Why no 360 Auburn?

Bluray, cost of XBL gold, and exclusives.

XBL: Flex MythoMass

Oh dear. This is going to be another "Paranormal" situation, isn't it?

I'd be impressed, but I hope not. Literally playing a table twice leaves you feeling very hollow ...

DoctorArch wrote:

Why no 360 Auburn?

It's a shame that Zen and FX2 are the same game wrapped in a different package, but FX2 being the significantly better package, to the point I repurchased all my tables on 360 and sold my old school 360 model for one with an HDMI port. (Yes I did this in December 2010 I am not making this up.) I don't get why Zen didn't just give their Ps3 version the FX2 hub.

edited February 2012
    DoctorArch wrote:

Why no 360 Auburn?

Fair enough. Add me when you get on PSN, although I hardly play anything on it.

But if you pick up Dark Souls I may be tempted to get a second copy...

DoctorArch on
    edited February 2012
    Egad, Epic Quest is a fantastic, but deceptively complicated table. Unfortunately the Rule Sheet is full of meta-humor, but basically the table is a parody of Diablo style games. You play the role of a greedy knight who wants to kill monsters and gain loot. Said loot has silly exaggerated names like the things you would find in Torchlight, Diablo and Borderlands. But your goal is to fight twelve different monsters and activate a final mode.

You keep stuff even after Game Over. The only way to truly restart everything is to go into the Operator's Menu and reset the table.

Cantido on
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    As a PC-only gamer, I lament the console- (and IOS)-centric nature of this discussion. :(