As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Video Pinball] Pinball FX 2 is on the Humble Bundle! Get it now!

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    My goal is to get 50 million on the Spider-man table, and beat my real life friend's 40 million score. I must stop his taunting.

So far the best I've managed is 14 million.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
    More than doubled my best score by getting 32.3 million on Spider-man!

• CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hey, you're almost triple me on Epic Quest (and it's quite possible you'll stay there as I've really quickly come to an end with that table. I really do find it pretty un-fun. :/). Remeber you're the next freakiest behind me. =P

You're my pinball nemesis, ArcticLancer, and always shall be (hence the <3) . Shame it's only on the tables that you actively dislike that I'm able to maintain a higher score than you.

@AuburnTiger Sounds like you're making great strides at the Spider-Man table. Face it Tiger - you just hit the jackpot!

(edit rather than double-post): BEHOLD, THE BEAUTY OF ASGARD!

360 players, Thor tourney ongoing. You have 7 days.

Celloriffic on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, that. I should play it some.

Are you beating me on any other tables right now, Cello? I don't recall seeing any challenge messages recently.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Someday you should record a powerplay :D

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Increased my Spider-man score from 34 million to 56.9 million. :)

Also, help me understand what happened. On my second ball, at some point, I stopped being able to activate any of the enemies at all, and each ramp was a ridiculous score, like 500,000. So I was racking up points by just knocking the ball around. How did I reach this state? Again, I couldn't activate Goblin, Jameson's picture quest, Doc Ock, etc.

Sounds like yout beat the table, activating Wizard Mode.

Cantido wrote:

How do you beat the table? Just defeat all enemies once on one ball?

Cantido wrote:

How do you beat the table? Just defeat all enemies once on one ball?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it; I guess I did that without even trying.

Oh yeah, that. I should play it some.

Are you beating me on any other tables right now, Cello? I don't recall seeing any challenge messages recently.

Nope. Just Epic Quest and Pasha, two of your most hated tables.

@AuburnTiger - It's possible you managed to beat Spidey. If so, congrats - I've yet to manage it more than once. I suspect it's more likely that you activated Aunt May's Dinner Party, but that doesn't lock out villian modes...

The way Spider-Man works is that once you've beaten each of the villains at least once, you have the ability to start locking balls in Doc's pit at the top of the table. As soon as you've locked 1 ball, you have started the mode. You need to lock 2 more to start clone chaos (which gives you the 15g achievement), but in the meantime you will score points for hitting the relative ramps. The score for each of them is based on how far you have taken each mission to that point - for example, if you have completed the Goblin's mission only once, then hitting his ramp during this process might be worth 500K. if you have completed it 8 times instead, each shot on his ramp might be worth 2M. There is some finesse involved though, because if you lose any ball once you have locked one, the mode ends. It's generally how you rack up huge scores though, by beating the missions a bunch and then starting wizard mode and just harvesting the ramps you have the best scores on. This is how the guy #1 on the leaderboard got his score - he had something like level 250 on the Jameson ramp, and just sat there repeating that loop for several billion points a shot. I could never play the game that way ... =_=

Huh. So that's how Spider-Man works.

Learn something new every day. (Guess how many times I shoot the Doc Ock hole in a given game.)

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Despite buying it on release I just fired up Ghost Rider for the first time today. Holy crap that's a cramped table. Neat modes, but it feels a lot like my least favorite oringinal Pinball FX table, Extreme.

camo_sig2.png
    jclast wrote:
    Despite buying it on release I just fired up Ghost Rider for the first time today. Holy crap that's a cramped table. Neat modes, but it feels a lot like my least favorite oringinal Pinball FX table, Extreme.

All road-themed tables are cursed! Extreme, Speed Machine, V12, and now Ghost Rider! But Ghost Rider is significantly better than the others.

The way Spider-Man works is that once you've beaten each of the villains at least once, you have the ability to start locking balls in Doc's pit at the top of the table. As soon as you've locked 1 ball, you have started the mode. You need to lock 2 more to start clone chaos (which gives you the 15g achievement), but in the meantime you will score points for hitting the relative ramps. The score for each of them is based on how far you have taken each mission to that point - for example, if you have completed the Goblin's mission only once, then hitting his ramp during this process might be worth 500K. if you have completed it 8 times instead, each shot on his ramp might be worth 2M. There is some finesse involved though, because if you lose any ball once you have locked one, the mode ends. It's generally how you rack up huge scores though, by beating the missions a bunch and then starting wizard mode and just harvesting the ramps you have the best scores on. This is how the guy #1 on the leaderboard got his score - he had something like level 250 on the Jameson ramp, and just sat there repeating that loop for several billion points a shot. I could never play the game that way ... =_=

Does every table have a comparable "Wizard" mode?

Does every table have a comparable "Wizard" mode?

No, unfortunately some tables like Mars and Ms. Splosion man have some final mission that you beat, it gives you some huge number of points, and then everything is reset.

Completing the Jameson stage is a bitch and a half. Fuck that shot.

The Jameson mission is bizarre, because it's the hardest the first time around. After that, it's worth more points each time and the countdown lasts longer, so you actually get more than 1 chance to make the shot ... Just a strange one.

As Candito said, not all tables have a wizard mode. I couldn't even tell you all of them off hand because there are tables I still have yet to clear ...
    In order:
    Wolverine - Yes, it has a timed wizard mode, but I wish you serious luck in ever seeing it. I've gotten it once.
    Spider-Man - Yes, as discussed.
    Iron Man - Not that I'm aware of. Pretty sure once you complete the final mission the table resets, but I have yet to accomplish this (although I've come annoyingly close a few times ...).
    Blade - I don't think so, but possibly. I reached the final mission mode once, and it's a series of objectives. There may be an additional mode for completing it, and it would actually suit the table, but I can only speculate.
    Fantastic Four - I hope you never buy it. I am lead to believe there is a wizard mode, but I'll never know myself.
    Captain America - Nope, final mission.
    Thor - Not sure yet, although I'm very doubtful.
    Moon Knight - Not sure yet, although I suspect there may be some sort of wizard mode.
    Ghost Rider - Final mission.
    X-Men - Not actually sure, as this table progresses in a very non-linear fashion. I also failed to beat it the one time I activated the "final-final" mission.
    Secrets of the Deep - Nothing at all, actually. Not a wizard mode or final mission.
    Biolab - I actually forget, but I'm pretty sure it's just a final mission.
    Rome - No idea, I've never gotten more than 4 of the 6 garrisons lit.
    Pasha - Final mission.
    Mars - Final mission, and a depressing end to such a grind. <_<
    Ms. Splosion Man - Final mission.
    Sorcerer's Lair - Timed wizard mode.
    Epic Quest - Final mission, if I understand what Cello was getting at.
    Paranormal - Timed wizard mode, although it's worth less points than doing the other missions ...
    Earth Defense - No idea. I cannot beat the rescue/evacuation mission for the life of me.
    Excalibur - No idea. This one is brutal to last long enough to activate more than a few things through.
    Nightmare Mansion - Actually might have a wizard mode, but I forget. Like Fantastic Four, hope you never buy it.
    Street Fighter - Same as above.
    Rocky and Bullwinkle - Only table I haven't purchased. Due to it's 'old-time' nature, unlikely to feature any sort of 'final climax'.

I'll definitely vouch for Epic Quest having a final mission. Kill the dragon/devil/demony thing, get your 50 million, reset all moster trophies.

Top score on Thor (for now) with 346 million. I'm certain ArcticLancer won't let me last the night with it, though.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Very new to this. I have the Marvel 4-pack with Wolvie and Spiderman, Mars, Earth Defense and Street Fighter 2. Lots of fun.

I am posting because I want to know what peoples favorite tables are. I'm not gonna buy all the tables, so some of you peoples overwhelming favorites that aren't on my little list would be appreciated.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    And to think there was a time a long time ago I could almost keep up with you guys and held the title of Pinball wizard once or twice. Now there are high scores that I will probably never, and I mean EVER, get close too :(

edited February 2012
    Mulletude wrote:
    Very new to this. I have the Marvel 4-pack with Wolvie and Spiderman, Mars, Earth Defense and Street Fighter 2. Lots of fun.

I am posting because I want to know what peoples favorite tables are. I'm not gonna buy all the tables, so some of you peoples overwhelming favorites that aren't on my little list would be appreciated.

My thoughts are kinda random but I bulleted them.

*Mars is my favorite table. Very stylish and noob friendly. Unfortunately it's a very slow table.
    *Earth Defense is great, there's just some particularly tough shots in them.
    *Excalibur is a nightmare and I don't enjoy it. I know how to bangback nowadays so maybe I can get around the ball being sexually attracted to the side-gutters on this particular map.
    *Avoid the original four tables. Two are good (Agents and Buccaneer), two are horrid (Extreme and Speed Machine.)
    *The latest Marvel pack is hands down the best Marvel pack. Xmen and Moon Knight (whoever the fuck he is) are mindblowingly good. Ghost Rider and Thor are strictly okay. Thor is not the best table, but it's the goddamn manliest. My custom soundtrack for the Thor table is a heavy dose of Amon Amarth.
    *The latest table is called Epic Quest, and it's a ton of fun.
    * Nightmare Mansion and Sorcerer's Lair are boring as shit.
    * The first Pinball FX2 tables were Pasha, Secrets of the Deep, Biolab and Rome These are good tables but they are really difficult. Rome and Iron Man are practically the same table.

Cantido on
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Thanks Cantido.

I'm glad you posted which ones aren't so fun as well.

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly where to take shots but I guess that will come with time. And when and how should I use the table bump? Doesn't doing so negatively impact your score? Use it mainly to keep from losing a ball right?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Mulletude wrote:
    Thanks Cantido.

I'm glad you posted which ones aren't so fun as well.

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly where to take shots but I guess that will come with time. And when and how should I use the table bump? Doesn't doing so negatively impact your score? Use it mainly to keep from losing a ball right?

Oh, and add everybody in the OP, myself included, it will affect what you see in the leaderboards.

Future note to self ... Don't go to submit a tournament score at 10 to midnight ... You damn well know it always takes you at least an hour to play a game ...
    *sigh*

At least I beat Cello's stealth beating me score. Started the final mission 3 times. Best I could manage was 4 hits. Multiballs on that table are pretty dick IMO, although still more kind than Iron Man. So much more kind. *cringe*

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

When I boot up FX2 there is a good chance that I am going to play a round on Ms Splosion Man or Paranormal regardless of what messages I got letting me know that a score was beaten. Ms Splosion Man I like because it is fast, and it is funny. Paranormal I like because it reminds of X-Files, and there are lots of off-the-wall shots to make and events to trigger.

I also wish they would bring Tesla over to FX2 from Zen Pinball. I know I can't expect to ever see the Ninja Gaiden Sigma table, but Tesla is my favorite Zen table, and I would love to have it on my preferred platform.

camo_sig2.png

BUY: Ms. 'Splosion Man, a thousand times over. Fast and kind of easy, but a blast to play. Just expect to get the theme song stuck in your head.

BUY: The new Marvel 4-pack. Ghost Rider is the low end of this quartet, but the other three tables are a ton of fun.

DEMO: Epic Quest. I love it, but it is grindy and repetitive, so that's a turn-off for some.

AVOID: Fantastic Four. Physics are jacked up beyond belief, and it's a fairly difficult table to boot.

AVOID: Paranormal. While it has some interesting table elements, it quickly becomes a bore. Even when it was free, it's a "maybe".

@ArcticLancer I had no delusions about my score lasting the night. I just hoped you wouldn't pass me by too much. I fear 200 million-ish is too much. (And stealth beating? I totally sent you two messages on XBL. :P )

@Psychotic One Y'know, even as one of the upper-eschelon players on here, there have been times where I look at scores and shake my head in disbelief. But sometimes, a table just *clicks*, even for just one game. In a case like that, I know I'll never get back there score-wise again. (Rome, I'm looking at you...)

edited February 2012
    Tesla is a glorious fucking table that completely outclasses the other three that originally come with Zen Pinball. It's a shame he died penniless and miserable. Perhaps in the afterlife, he can know he made it in life, because he's on a goodamn pinball table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4N3DyEqFvw&amp;feature=fvst

I completely forgot about how bad Fantastic Four is.

Cantido on
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular

BUY: Ms. 'Splosion Man, a thousand times over. Fast and kind of easy, but a blast to play. Just expect to get the theme song stuck in your head.

BUY: The new Marvel 4-pack. Ghost Rider is the low end of this quartet, but the other three tables are a ton of fun.

DEMO: Epic Quest. I love it, but it is grindy and repetitive, so that's a turn-off for some.

AVOID: Fantastic Four. Physics are jacked up beyond belief, and it's a fairly difficult table to boot.

AVOID: Paranormal. While it has some interesting table elements, it quickly becomes a bore. Even when it was free, it's a "maybe".

@ArcticLancer I had no delusions about my score lasting the night. I just hoped you wouldn't pass me by too much. I fear 200 million-ish is too much. (And stealth beating? I totally sent you two messages on XBL. :P )

@Psychotic One Y'know, even as one of the upper-eschelon players on here, there have been times where I look at scores and shake my head in disbelief. But sometimes, a table just *clicks*, even for just one game. In a case like that, I know I'll never get back there score-wise again. (Rome, I'm looking at you...)

I was just about to ask which ones to pick. Thanks!

@Celloriffic You know, I totally saw those 4 messages in my inbox when I signed in last night, but I think I pre-emptively assumed they were just Forza spam invites and then forgot to check after writing out my list. I'll say this though - I was exceptionally surprised that 500 million on Thor is enough to get me just outside the top 50. The table pulls some dick punches on you, but it's generally not that hard to keep increasing your score outside of the missions (and even then, those are worth enough to make it worthwhile).

I'm good with Cello's recommendations as well, although I'm of the opinion that the first Marvel Pack is a better starting place than the 2nd one. They're both great sets (the best tables to buy IMO), but the first ones are generally less complicated tables. For example, Blade is about as difficult as the first set gets. In the second pack, Moon Knight and X-Men are both so full of shit that it's overwhelming to understand how you have accomplished anything without first understanding the general flow of tables.

@Mulletude

Check out these pdf guides to each table. I can't believe I never saw these before
    http://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?t=4006

I like shooting balls into Mr. Fantastic's stretchy arms. I guess I don't know enough about Pinball to know why it's a bad table. Or maybe I just haven't played it enough.

@AuburnTiger The heart wants what it wants - if you're enjoying a table, don't let our negativity towards it get in your way. I mean, if I'm sitting down just to play Fantastic Four, it's OK. The trouble comes when you're playing another table, then switch to FF. The ball physics are noticibly off from the rest of the Zen tables, and I don't know why.

I kind of agree. The table is only a serious pain when you're really trying to accomplish certain things.
    But off-hand, problems? Boy howdy ...
    #1 - The Thing nudging the table and causing no end to ball drains and missed shots.
    #2 - The Flame ramp being the most inconsistent thing in the entire game, basically flipping a coin on whether or not the ball actually goes up the ramp.
    #3 - The kickbacks are insane to activate for how often you need them, and then on top of that Mr. Fantastic gets caught in animation looks before returning your ball (this is a major problem considering every mission mode on the table is timed, and it hurts BAD when you lose between 4 and 10 seconds while he stands there wiggling).
    Then you have a serious table issue where it's possible to break the void save and disable it for the rest of the table (I believe Spider-Man still has a similar problem with Doc occasionally grabbing a ball and never letting it go, but maybe they patched that when they updated Wolverine).
    So yeah, not all things things that necessarily stand out, but holy cow ... I can't play that table because I just never enjoy it. Losing never feels like a lapse in my ability so much as the table just randomly flipping me off.

Holy shit, Zen just announced Zen Pinball for PC..... but for Windows 8. What the fuck is Windows 8?

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    You can download a trial, public beta thing, from MS's site.

I'll install it on... something. Need this PC running 7 for work right now.

As far as tables are concerned, I'm going to go against the popular opinion in that I really like Haunted Mansion. Like the various modes, like the angles of the shots. After that, I'm a fan of Buccanneer. But my favourite table is Epic Quest by a mile. Secrets of the Deep is cool too.

fragglefart.jpg
    WHY HAS NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THE LIGHTNING STRIKE BONUS ON THOR?!?

It's ridiculous, and not really something that comes naturally in a pinball, but here it is:

The serpent ramp. You know, the one where you can get the message to hit the launch button to open the trapdoor? The trapdoor open just above the upper left flipper, giving you an easy shot into the Ymir mini-orbit. While in that orbit, hit the launch button again and WHAM! Timed right, lightning strike bonus and the ball rockets up the... umm... Armor ramp? The one you hit from the upper right flipper, at any rate. The ball will travel back to the left flipper for more serpent ramp and launch button hitting action.

I love it.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I had no clue about the Lightning strike (just discovered the serpent thing myself). I'll have to try that out and see if it helps me get that much further on the leaderboard.

Also I noticed some of you beat my Extreme score. Not by much mind you but even getting into the millions on that table was an act of god. I'll...I'll just let you keep that one because you earned it (jerks)

And because it's the Extreme table and nobody wants to play it twice.

WHY HAS NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THE LIGHTNING STRIKE BONUS ON THOR?!?

It's ridiculous, and not really something that comes naturally in a pinball, but here it is:

The serpent ramp. You know, the one where you can get the message to hit the launch button to open the trapdoor? The trapdoor open just above the upper left flipper, giving you an easy shot into the Ymir mini-orbit. While in that orbit, hit the launch button again and WHAM! Timed right, lightning strike bonus and the ball rockets up the... umm... Armor ramp? The one you hit from the upper right flipper, at any rate. The ball will travel back to the left flipper for more serpent ramp and launch button hitting action.

I love it.

I also didn't know about this. Maybe some day I'll remember to try it. =P