As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Video Pinball] Pinball FX 2 is on the Humble Bundle! Get it now!

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've hit a slump. Can't seem to get any flow going and the ball keeps going down the middle of my flippers.

Once I get my rythem back...I'm coming back for my crown. I will not stay down!

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The table rules are some of the worst written tutorials I've ever seen; none of them make a fucking lick of sense. I've managed to work out a few things on Abyss of the Deep by slow and steady observation of what happened when I accidentally hit shit, and got the shipwreck achievement, but I've yet to top the score I got when just dicking around early on. Actively trying to do things seems to make my score worse.

Zerozaki Ishiki on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Actively trying to do things seems to make my score worse.

Welcome to my world! Hi 5

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I know on Biolab the easiest way to score a quick few million is to get the ball into the bumpers as much as possible to raise the upgrade jackpots. Get it around 10 million and then start Monster in the Jar and do the Brain upgrade. Its by far the easiest. Can't do Wisdom yet as getting skill shots on this table are acts of god. Reflex I don't quite understand. I think you need to hit the ramps on each side of the jar. And Stregnth is all about hitting buttons which there are not many of.

If anyone has a tip on reliably hitting the skillshot I am not too proud to take a bit of advise.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If anyone wants to get a good "scorer's" table, get Excalibur. I can rack up 25-30 million pretty consistently, so anyone with some decent skill could probably hit 60 easy.

How the hell Agent SPHINX hit 60 million on the SFII table will forever be a mystery to me. I can't get anything done on that table (or Rome).

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well I finally had a good round on Rome. I find the Southern Garrison is a good one for racking up points. Have to hit any of the three holes. Janus head = 250k and Justice scales are 1 million. No clue what Romulas is cause I can't hit that on purpose to save my life.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I know on Biolab the easiest way to score a quick few million is to get the ball into the bumpers as much as possible to raise the upgrade jackpots. Get it around 10 million and then start Monster in the Jar and do the Brain upgrade. Its by far the easiest. Can't do Wisdom yet as getting skill shots on this table are acts of god. Reflex I don't quite understand. I think you need to hit the ramps on each side of the jar. And Stregnth is all about hitting buttons which there are not many of.

If anyone has a tip on reliably hitting the skillshot I am not too proud to take a bit of advise.
    vrwkxt.jpg

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

vrwkxt.jpg

Alternatively, a left nudge after 2 revolutions through the circle works wonders for me.

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

vrwkxt.jpg

This. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever in getting a skill shot (or several in a row) on Biolab. There isn't even anything to time properly and it gives you a damn bar to look at. Easiest one once you know where to pull it back to.

Also, I concur that the Rulesheets for the tables are garbage. "Hit the doodads to raise the whatsits, revealing the bonus ramps. Don't fall back down the jackpot habitrail!"

WHAT? You know what would have been ace? Labels on the table when you enter freelook mode. Hey, if anyone wants to edit some JPGs to label all the targets on the tables that would be fantastic :)

EDIT: Big images for the tables:

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I got some more points and snagged Excalibur and SFII, enjoying Excalibur but I'm not gonna lie, the SF one is rather simple in comparison.

Not that every table needs giant mutant jars and catapaulting galleons, but you get my drift.

On that note the Coastal challenge in Rome is fucking awesome, loved the music for it.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sheesh I claim SF2 and you go take it from me. Its War boy!

Also need some more friends. 100k Wizard score seems so far away :(

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheesh I claim SF2 and you go take it from me. Its War boy!

Also need some more friends. 100k Wizard score seems so far away :(

:wink:

I think I'm only second on that table, I can't remember who's above me.

And I have tons of points so when I have some free time I plan to get all the tables, need moar pinball!

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I may just break down and buy this.

Probably.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I may just break down and buy this.

Probably.

If you love pinball you owe it to yourself to get this game. You can play timed demos of the various tables to see if it's to your liking, but I'm having a blast. The 4 core tables are excellent and can keep you entertained for hours.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Psychotic One on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    PaperLuigi44, I'm a huge pinball fan. I was so put off by the physics engine in the first one that I didn't feel like trying the new one, until now.

So far, I like it. They seem like solid tables. I just wish I could see more metroid pinball games that takes advantage of the game consoles design.

Pinball quest needs to come back too remade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKLoa72EP4I

I wish I had the $$ to buy the rights to pinball quest and remake it. I could imagine marble blast ultra but pinball quest style. Or even, Play as the table and let the AI try to score on you. Or some sort of VS pinball combat. One person pulls the strings of the machine and the other tries to play the said machine. Imagine a table with somewhat shifting pieces or rules. Think Epic pinball's enigma but far less shitty.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I haven't played the first one, but the physics are rock solid in my opinion, I couldn't ask for anything better.

What are the original core tables like? They're probably next on my list to get.

And I totally kept forgetting to post Pinball Wizard, damn you, Psychotic.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I haven't played the first one, but the physics are rock solid in my opinion, I couldn't ask for anything better.

What are the original core tables like? They're probably next on my list to get.

I live to emphasis your short comings.

Core tables from Pinball FX1 are prety solid all around. Extreme is a really small cramped table while Agents and Speed Machine are more your traditional tables. All around really good but I have a small loathing for extreme. I can't score well on it at all.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I live to emphasis your short comings.

Core tables from Pinball FX1 are prety solid all around. Extreme is a really small cramped table while Agents and Speed Machine are more your traditional tables. All around really good but I have a small loathing for extreme. I can't score well on it at all.

Well then I should do just fine on it 8-)
    :P

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Although the two of you I passed probably already know this (love that in-game message system), CROWN RE-GET!

Off of 5 tables, people. My wizard score might suck, but my superscore is neat-o.

Resisting the urge to get Excalibur until I get more MS Spacebucks. Or until my crown is in jeopardy again. ;-)

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Holy shit Psychotic you weren't kidding about Extreme, ew. Does that table lock up if you fail a challenge? Because I could swear that's what happened.

Agents is probably my favourite of the original tables, though.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man.. I can't decide if I like the tables enough to drop the $10 on them.. I figure I'd start with the core one... but yeah. The demos just don't let me play long enough to hit my groove.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rome is so hard for me because everything is so cramped and hard to see. I've also grown go hate the rule sheets, so that doesn't help.

I'm Figment3 on Live if you haven't added me yet and are looking to boost your wizard score.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Holy shit Psychotic you weren't kidding about Extreme, ew. Does that table lock up if you fail a challenge? Because I could swear that's what happened.

Agents is probably my favourite of the original tables, though.

If you fail Bungie Jump the table locks up and forces a ball out.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I was doing Bungie Jump. That is pretty annoying, especially when you're trying to learn the board.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pasha is mine! That table has some crazy jackpots:

Hide your treasure! (hide 2)
    2x

+10 million points

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The carpet ride is ridiculously easy compared to the other mini-games on that table.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think I'd be doing better on Pasha if I could hit the palace or oasis with any consistency at all. Got to about 40 million this morning, but can't crack it. (And yes, this is after 2 multiballs on ball 3, and consistently failing at the guard mini-table.) I swear my 69 million game wasn't a fluke. I need my validation ribbon back!

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yea, I'm not very good at the guard mini-game. However, I can hit the palace fairly consistently once the ball is headed towards the upper left flipper, so I get enough chances that I eventually pass it.

On a side note, if you clear all of the guards, you get a 2 million bonus (1 million for passing the mini-game). You also get a 2 ball multiball right after... but I have no idea where you need go to find the endless life thingy.

I also managed to pass the magnet "run away" minigame. It seems like you need to hold the left magnet first, then switch quickly... do it at a steady pace and the ball just circles around.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I thought the Oasis on Pasha was in the top left corner near the upper left flipper, but I've rolled over the flashing blue circle there several times and it hasn't done anything.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I thought the Oasis on Pasha was in the top left corner near the upper left flipper, but I've rolled over the flashing blue circle there several times and it hasn't done anything.

I'm not sure how I triggered it, but at one point it was telling me I needed water.... that is probably when you want to hit the oasis (or when you trigger the "looking for treasure" or maybe "hide your treasure" parts).

I still can't get the FX2 shirt to show up in my avatar editor. I even followed some instructions to delete the local file and re-download. However, you *can* go to xbox.com and use that avatar editor to switch to the shirt. Now I just need a crown to go with it...

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I'm not sure how I triggered it, but at one point it was telling me I needed water.... that is probably when you want to hit the oasis (or when you trigger the "looking for treasure" or maybe "hide your treasure" parts).

That's what I'm talking about, it's whenever it says I need water. I triggered the oasis the first time but I'm not sure how.

I think the 'need water' segment is triggered if you go too long without hitting a compass ramp ('the caravan arrives at a small town').

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    (spoiler for big picture)
    oaog9c.jpg

Ignore the pretty arrows, as those are palace directions.

Oasis is in the tent above the upper left flipper (path under the left ramp and below the lamp targets). You need to use the upper right flipper to hit it in, and it's pretty finicky. Oftentimes I'll be hitting it dead on and the ball will run out of steam just before lodging itself in the hole.

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I knew it had to be somewhere around there, I wasn't going crazy.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Huh, neat, somehow missed that Littlewing's got a new game out, Mad Deadalus. Will have to check the demo out later.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    so after buying this game with the fx2 pack and subsequently decimating my friendslist, my thirst for power simply wasn't sated. So I bought fx1 pack and wrecked my friends on those tables too (well except for extreme, fuck that shit to hell) and that still wasn't enough. So then I bought SFII and nightmare mansion and posted top scores from them.

Then I found this thread, added a few of you from the list in the OP, and then realized I am the most worthless of worthless trash with scores that are like 1/10th of some of you guys :( Now I have to play better to top you guys.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If thats the case don't take a look at Rocky and Bullwinkle or Secrets of the Deep. Your head may explode.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Guess who has ~ 22 mil on Buccaneer?

This guy.

EDIT: And I was just 7 mil off of Cello's Biolab record, next time.

PS: The muscle upgrade involves hitting that button right next to the hole that spits your ball out after a launch, in case anyone was still wondering.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    so after buying this game with the fx2 pack and subsequently decimating my friendslist, my thirst for power simply wasn't sated. So I bought fx1 pack and wrecked my friends on those tables too (well except for extreme, fuck that shit to hell) and that still wasn't enough. So then I bought SFII and nightmare mansion and posted top scores from them.

Then I found this thread, added a few of you from the list in the OP, and then realized I am the most worthless of worthless trash with scores that are like 1/10th of some of you guys :( Now I have to play better to top you guys.

Welcome to my world. I took a few days "off" of the game and everyone seems to have posted absurd super scores in my absence.

Shoot me a friend request, if nothing else we can contribute to overall wizard scoring.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    drat, I was playing a wicked secrets of the deep, then my dad came in and started talking life goals and shit, then I failed twice in a row and didn't even break my high score. It's like, dammit dad, it should be quite obvious that my current life goal is becoming a pinball wizard, so get off my back while I practice!

but seriously, score attacks are sapping my will to do anything other than pinball.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN