As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Video Pinball] Pinball FX 2 is on the Humble Bundle! Get it now!

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If thats the case don't take a look at Rocky and Bullwinkle or Secrets of the Deep. Your head may explode.

Or any of Celloriffic's scores. God damn him and his god damn impossible Pasha score. :P

Acidlacedpenguin, I added you to the OP list.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am not on a whole lot, but I loves me some pinball and friend requests from people who will keep playing this would be awesome. XBL name is jclast.

Also picked up Pinball Heroes for PSP this morning (needed something to do while I waited around for an oil change), and it is not great. Physics are a little weird, and the ball feels really light. The upside is the tables all feel familiar if you are familiar with Sony properties. The 4 tables I have are based on Pain, High Velocity Bowling, Hot Shots Golf, and Uncharted. Much like in real life, Hot Shots Golf and Uncharted are worlds better than Pain and High Velocity Bowling. It does do one interesting thing though - you can shift the presentation to play vertically, turn the PSP 90 degrees and use square for the left flipper, circle for the right flipper, and hold both for the launcher.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    If thats the case don't take a look at Rocky and Bullwinkle or Secrets of the Deep. Your head may explode.

Or any of Celloriffic's scores. God damn him and his almost impossible Pasha score. :P

Acidlacedpenguin, I added you to the OP list.

Fixed that for you... just a substitute for my normal "Hey Celloriffic, I beat one of your score messages"

I fully expect you to retake your high score within 24 hours. :cry:

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    *twitches violently*

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dangit Ratsult, I have to go to work and NOT play pinball for at least 9 hours...

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Took the plunge and got this...

... and none of the people I have on my friends list have it. I need more friends.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Athenor wrote: »

... and none of the people I have on my friends list have it. I need more friends.

Look in the OP and add us. We'll give you a run for the money. I'm at the "mortal" level of Pinball leaderboards while Cell and Rat have trancended time and space and are playing a different form of pinball from us "Normies" as they must call us.

Also the Abyss Multiball is driving me crazy. I want that cheevo, I know how to do it. But actually triggering it and then keeping it going long enough is what will break me.

That and figuring out how the hell you trigger a Frenzy on Rome. Its ratio on Trueachievements is ungodly.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Athenor wrote: »

Look in the OP and add us. We'll give you a run for the money. I'm at the "mortal" level of Pinball leaderboards while Cell and Rat have trancended time and space and are playing a different form of pinball from us "Normies" as they must call us.

Also the Abyss Multiball is driving me crazy. I want that cheevo, I know how to do it. But actually triggering it and then keeping it going long enough is what will break me.

That and figuring out how the hell you trigger a Frenzy on Rome. Its ratio on Trueachievements is ungodly.

Not sure about the Frenzy on Rome... but on Abyss, catch the ball on the left flipper and practice shooting it up the right side ramp (the one where if you don't make it all the way up, you have to plug some leaks). Also make sure to practice the escape route sea monster thing. If you time it correctly, you get two spins in the funnel, so the sub moves twice. This will just get you to that multiball faster... that 4 ball multi is crazy.

I did manage to get that achievement, not sure how I managed it. I was 40mil off of Cell's score, thinking I would never catch up. I got 3 different types of multiballs right after each other, got the achievement, noticed I was 10 million away from the high score and immediately choked. Then I noticed that I still had ball 3!... then immediately choked again. I ended up at 90million, so I'm very happy... more than doubled my old score. :lol:

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ratsult, I just want you to know: you are now officially my Pinball Nemesis.

Absolutely choked on Pasha last night. 55 million isn't near enough to retake that table, and that's with hiding all 3 treasues post multiball for a cool 20 million.

On the plus side, it is rather nice when messages start popping up about "you're x number of points away from taking over GAMERTAG's weekly high score". Good to see there's current goals to shoot for.

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Add me to the OP (and your friends lists) if you like. I finally bought FX2--I've got 9 tables total and am struggling to get back any of the meager skill I had a couple of years ago when I was really into FX.

Is it just me, or is Rome a center drain nightmare? It's so demoralizing to play that I've barely bothered. I've got high scores in the low 30s on Secrets of the Deep and Pasha, but that's really all I've achieved so far.

Captain K: CaptainFake

Captain K on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Captain K wrote: »
    Add me to the OP (and your friends lists) if you like. I finally bought FX2--I've got 9 tables total and am struggling to get back any of the meager skill I had a couple of years ago when I was really into FX.

Is it just me, or is Rome a center drain nightmare? It's so demoralizing to play that I've barely bothered. I've got high scores in the low 30s on Secrets of the Deep and Pasha, but that's really all I've achieved so far.

Are you talking about failing the ramps and the Conquer hole in the middle of the map practically throwing your ball down the centre? Because I instinctively extend a flipper (the right one for the right ramp and the hole) and I'm all good. You definitely want to master getting the ramps so you can activate conquer mode, plenty of points to be had.

And Ratsult is the first person to send me a victory message over my Biolab high score. I shall have my revenge!

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, so I just got my box back, and went straight to dl FX2. I am confused. There are like 4 different ones. Some are free, some are trials, some say collection, some say collection and are free. Help me out. What's the difference, cause the supplied descriptions all say the same thing.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, so I just got my box back, and went straight to dl FX2. I am confused. There are like 4 different ones. Some are free, some are trials, some say collection, some say collection and are free. Help me out. What's the difference, cause the supplied descriptions all say the same thing.

Pinball FX 2 - This is the game which runs everything, and is free to download. No tables included.

Pinball FX 2 Core - This is the pack of 4 tables which are the "main" tables for FX 2.

Pinball FX Core - This is the pack of 4 tables which were the "main" tables for FX.

All others are just individual tables for download.

Everything has a trial (demo) download, which is just the table with a really short time/score limit, to see if you like the table. If you like it then go purchase the same table without the "trial" at the end of the name.

Kris on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Captain K wrote: »

Are you talking about failing the ramps and the Conquer hole in the middle of the map practically throwing your ball down the centre? Because I instinctively extend a flipper (the right one for the right ramp and the hole) and I'm all good. You definitely want to master getting the ramps so you can activate conquer mode, plenty of points to be had.

And Ratsult is the first person to send me a victory message over my Biolab high score. I shall have my revenge!

Extending the flipper like that works most of the time, but if the ball gets up to a certain point, it's going to drain. Unless you use the super pro strategy of freaking the fuck out, tilting the table a bunch, and spamming the flippers... that seems to work for me. Another random tip, if you hit the center (statue) hole, just let the ball shoot back out, it will hit the right bumper and end up nice and slow on the left side.

The part about Rome that kills me is when you earn an extra ball, and all you have to do is hit the center hole. The only problem is if the center hole is being used for anything else, that takes priority. For example, I hit the conquer ramps a bunch in a row and open up the extra ball. Only now that middle hole starts the conquer mode... once conquer mode starts, that middle hole is used to pass that conquer quest... I always end up choking before I can earn the extra ball.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just bought this as well. Damn you ratsult. I'm hooked now. :P

The tables feel decent. I <3 pasha and I enjoy romes difficulty. Watch out ratsult. Watch your back when it comes to me and pinball.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Finally got the Abyss Multiball achievement and brought myself to number 6 on that board (my leaderboards are a bit skewed cause I got some of the trueachievement guys on there). I think I need a break from Secrets of the deep for a while now. Still the king of Extreme. Someone needs to beat that score. I need motivation to actually try and improve my score there. I hate that table. Might just hammer on Rome till I find out how to get that last achievement. 7 Garrisons or Frenzy. What ever happens first.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I will hurl myself from the tallest building before I attempt Extreme again.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just played my first hour's worth, trying out the first 4 tables. I'm not sure of a fave just yet. Either Pasha or Secrets of the Deep. I am lovin this, but I really don't know what I'm doing on any of the tables just yet. The who will not be singing about me anytime soon. I'll add some of you guys later. My tag is JerDodge if you want someone new at the bottom of your leaderboards...for now. Muahahahaaaa!!

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Kris wrote: »

Pinball FX 2 - This is the game which runs everything, and is free to download. No tables included.

Pinball FX 2 Core - This is the pack of 4 tables which are the "main" tables for FX 2.

Pinball FX Core - This is the pack of 4 tables which were the "main" tables for FX.

Everything has a trial (demo) download, which is just the table with a really short time/score limit, to see if you like the table. If you like it then go purchase the same table without the "trial" at the end of the name.

The 4 Pinball FX tables? It only shipped with 3: Extreme, Speed Machine, and Agents. Are they including the free one from Pinball FX in there? I know I got either Buccaneer or Nightmare Mansion for free but I can't for the life of me remember which.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    Kris wrote: »

The 4 Pinball FX tables? It only shipped with 3: Extreme, Speed Machine, and Agents. Are they including the free one from Pinball FX in there? I know I got either Buccaneer or Nightmare Mansion for free but I can't for the life of me remember which.

I believe Buccanneer is the one that's included in the FX 4 pack.

Kris on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's Buccanneer, yeah. Love that table, but now I'm incredibly paranoid that I'm going to switch on my 360 and see '____ has beaten your Buccanneer score...'

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Buccanneer table you say....

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Did I say Buccanneer? I meant Agents.

Yeah, fun on the high seas with the Agents table.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Search for Rome Frenzy day 1:

Still no fucking clue. Have pretty much mastered Mock Warfare. Also found hitting the Scales of Justice over and over actually generates Romulus hits as well for every hit past the 1st in a row. Makes getting Romulas multiball a bit easier. Haven't figured out the mode quite yet on how to get 50+ million that the achievement would require normally. Once I do...NUMBER 1 in Rome easily.

Also a side note. Perhaps Frenzy is tied to Justice. Have to hit the Janus head from the side multiple times to complete that game mode. Damn near impossible with out much practice. Depending on level of masocism will determine how much I practice this.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Looking at the operator menu on Rome... all I can find about Frenzy, is the default ball saver for it is 20 seconds (same as the multiball saver). :?

If I had to guess, you start Frenzy by beating all 6 garrisons, then getting conquer + center hole. This makes it about as hard as the other way to unlock the achievement, finishing 7 garrisons.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Did someone say Buccanneer? :)

I just set my new high score in a single attempt - 30 million, anyone got higher?

I logged in to see all but one of my other scores have been beaten, LOL.

Nice timing too since Google looks like this today;

aaar.jpg

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    How the hell do you choose a story once the book is open? Frustrated. Also, a bunch of you guys with your GTs in the OP have full friends lists.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Throw me into the OP list while we are at it, actually. Gamertag: Athenor.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How the hell do you choose a story once the book is open? Frustrated. Also, a bunch of you guys with your GTs in the OP have full friends lists.

You can invite me. I currently suck at this game.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    About choosing a story:
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    I was on a roll in Pasha yesterday, I think I even earned a million points in one of the challenges, but I made an easy mistake that broke my stride.

On that note, I know how to trigger the Book of Tales, but I can't for the life of me figure out how I choose a story.

You need to get it into the palace (circled)
    (spoiler for big picture)
    oaog9c.jpg

I drew arrows to show the easiest way.
    note1: You can hold this bumper up to slow down the ball if it's going too fast
    note2: Hold this bumper up to make more room when you take your shot

God damn it, Fraggle, I thought 22 million was going to be difficult to reach, now you leave me no choice.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is such a cocktease. I wish I knew what Zen had in store for Zen Pinball and Pinball FX 2 because I am this close to buying FX2 for the different tables so I can participate in these leaderboards.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    This is such a cocktease. I wish I knew what Zen had in store for Zen Pinball and Pinball FX 2 because I am this close to buying FX2 for the different tables so I can participate in these leaderboards.

I think I am going to end up owning Excalibur twice because I will want all the ZP tables on PS3 as well as all the PFX2 tables on 360.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I think I am going to end up owning Excalibur twice because I will want all the ZP tables on PS3 as well as all the PFX2 tables on 360.

I've already done just this exact thing. The leaderboard competition made my decision for me, because Pinball FX 2's integration is so spot on. Now I just want them to release Paranormal and Mars.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I've already done just this exact thing. The leaderboard competition made my decision for me, because Pinball FX 2's integration is so spot on. Now I just want them to release Paranormal and Mars.

Grrrrrr!

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Grrrrrr!

I know, I know. I'm as annoyed as anybody when I buy the same damn thing twice, but I maintain that I only do it when the new features are worth it. Like when I re-buy Sly Cooper in a couple of weeks with the Sly Cooper collection on the PS3.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Grrrrrr!

I know, I know. I'm as annoyed as anybody when I buy the same damn thing twice, but I maintain that I only do it when the new features are worth it. Like when I re-buy Sly Cooper in a couple of weeks with the Sly Cooper collection on the PS3.

I'm in no hurry to rebuy Excalibur. Those side gutter are vortexes that suck my ball in way too much.

Mars on the other hand, is magical.

EDIT - Okay, fuck it! Dungeon Defenders didn't release in November like I thought it would, so I just bought the FX2 set. I didn't care for the original but if they applied the modern physics to the old tables, I'm sure I'll enjoy them.

Unfortunately, the tables don't look as good because my Ps3 has the HDMI cable while my 360 is using the high def component cables. I wish the old style 360's supported HDMI. The fuzziness is significant to the point I think it affects my performance.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm playing on an old ass 19" SD tv most of the time, and I have the top scores on two tables. I think you will be able to manage without a HDMI connection. :lol:

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    I'm playing on an old ass 19" SD tv most of the time, and I have the top scores on two tables. I think you will be able to manage without a HDMI connection. :lol:

Okay fine. I'm being a whiny bitch. The tables are significantly fuzzier though. :x

Anyway, I'm happy to be playing on 360. Gamertag is Cantido.

I'm kinda sorry I bought the FX1 pack. I can't stand Extreme and Speed Machine. The original trial using Speed Machine was what turned me off from the original FX in the first place. Those two are empty, desolate tables.

These FX2 tables are great. I have no favorite in particular. I had no problem buying Earth Defense again, because that table is a blast. I can't say I'm willing to do the same for Excalibur or Street Fighter 2. I'll buy Mars again in a heartbeat. If the Zen Pinball tables appear, I'll only buy Tesla. That table is magical.

I actually think Biolab is fun, but something about the table content is morbid to me.

EDIT - I found out Zen announced the four original Zen Pinball tables are exclusive to Ps3. But Mars and Paranormal are in fact coming to FX2. You 360 guys are in for a treat. :D

Beautiful, over-the-top, forgiving, and wonderful.

I like how the reviewer talks about how it's simply called Mars, like it's pretentious.

Basically, those four ramps with the hologram floating above it represents the piece of equipment you summon for the next mission. One is the shuttle, one is the satellite, one is the probe spider, and so on.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I want to play Paranormal now, but I don't want to buy it for Zen Pinball. Nor do I want to wait for Pinball FX 2. Must stay strong!

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    AkimbojoeAkimbojoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the heads up, I bought the first one and allllll the tables that came out for it (yeah even the Rocky and Bullwinkle table) so I'll be checking this out... NOW.

Akimbojoe on