As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Video Pinball] Pinball FX 2 is on the Humble Bundle! Get it now!

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That makes its x15 then which puts my wizard score even closer to that sexy Pinball Wizard robe!

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Update with more news about the upcoming Marvel-licensed tables: (from Joystiq)
    Zen Studios, purveyor of fine virtual pinball games, has formally announced Marvel Pinball (first outed by a ratings board leak), coming to Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network at some point during December.

Marvel Pinball is a set of tables themed after characters from the Marvel universe, and will work as DLC within the well-received Pinball FX 2 on the Xbox 360. The tables will be packaged as a standalone game on the PlayStation Network. Initially, four different tables will be available, featuring Blade, Spider-Man, Wolverine and Iron Man -- all visible in our gallery below.

Zen says it has "access to the entire Marvel Universe IP" and promises "regular DLC content" for Marvel Pinball throughout 2011 "and beyond."

Spoilered for huge:
    mpwolverine.jpg

mpspiderman.jpg

mpironman.jpg

mpblade.jpg

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Damn those look great! Got a chance to play a little bit last night/this morning. I really like Secrets of the Deep even though I am terrible at it. Also played a little Rome and was sad when I beat my previous high score within 10 seconds of starting by hitting some skill shot right off the bat and nabbing 1,000,000 points (yes, my previous high score on Rome was sad enough to not even be 1,000,000).

Moved on to Rocky and Bullwinkle after that. I still don't really have any idea how that table is supposed to work. It just feels so sparse.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Those Marvel tables look hot. If I hadn't caved and bought this last week, these would have pushed me over edge.

Also, Cantido, your friends list is full. Or at least it was when I tried to add you for Brutal Legend a few months ago, and when I tried to add you for the Pinballs last week.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Damn that Wolverine table looks awesome and rapey - seems like it will be a fast one like Extreme.

Want to see more of Spiderman!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    Damn those look great! Got a chance to play a little bit last night/this morning. I really like Secrets of the Deep even though I am terrible at it. Also played a little Rome and was sad when I beat my previous high score within 10 seconds of starting by hitting some skill shot right off the bat and nabbing 1,000,000 points (yes, my previous high score on Rome was sad enough to not even be 1,000,000).

Moved on to Rocky and Bullwinkle after that. I still don't really have any idea how that table is supposed to work. It just feels so sparse.

Rocky and Bullwinkle really reminds me of classic style Williams tables, Sorcerer in particular, and to a lesser extent, Gorgar. It's hard to nail down in words how and why it's a different style, but if you play Williams Pinball for a little bit you'll feel it too, especially when compared to the newer style games like Medieval Madness and Secrets of the Deep.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Those Marvel tables look hot. If I hadn't caved and bought this last week, these would have pushed me over edge.

Also, Cantido, your friends list is full. Or at least it was when I tried to add you for Brutal Legend a few months ago, and when I tried to add you for the Pinballs last week.

Whaaaat? When did I get full? I'll fix that this evening.

Franchises that need tables:
    Psychonauts
    Metal Gear
    Assassin's Creed
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Splinter Cell
    Bayonetta
    Transformers
    Katamari
    Castlevania (IGA titles)
    Super Meat Boy
    Splosion Man / Twisted Pixel Catelog
    Scott Pilgrim

I finally got my first "awesome" score, because I Multiballed Secrets of the Deep over and over. But I can't hit the Crane for the life of me.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    DoctorArch on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is something that's been in my mind for a long time, and I'm wondering what you guys think on this subject:

So video pinball is the future of pinball in general. Right? I mean, maybe it began as a spinoff in the 90s when there was still a vibrant pinball industry, but with only Stern cranking out a few tables every year, the solid state era is one manufacturer away from the electromechanical era. Video pinball may be just as much a niche market, but with the lower overheads for design and production (and vastly lower costs for ownership), the economics of it allow video pinball to thrive.

What then of the substance of these digital tables: How closely must they match the dynamics of solid states? The first time I played a video pinball game with impossible-in-real-life flame effects, I didn't like it. More recently, some of Zen Pinball's out-there animations have provoked the ire of my inner traditionalist. But why should they? Video pinball obviously isn't constrained by the limitations of pinball manufacturing, so why should anyone insist it be? Nostalgia? The Marvel tables announced today look great and seem to quite confidently embrace the world of video pinball.

Is there a line to be drawn anywhere? I never really considered games like Sierra's classic 3D Ultra Pinball to be "proper" pinball with their sprawling disregard for established pinball conventions. But in a world where video pinball is the game's only hope, is there any point to such distinctions?

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The out there animations in the tables, especially Mars, are all cosmetic. I don't mind them at all. The ball having an aura at high speeds, the dolls and things coming to life, are probably what bothers you.

The ball streaking at high speeds does in fact bother me sometimes.

Also, I have yet to see a Stern table I like. They have weak-ass flippers, and Shreck and Family Guy are literally the same table with different art on it.

I do however want to see their World Poker Tour table in person, as it looks awesome.

IMG_3770.jpg

Note the angle of the flipper at the bottom.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    @ those marvel tables

HOLY TIGHT PANTS ENGAGED TRUE BELIEVERS!

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »

JUST TAKE ALL MY MICROSOFT POINTS MARVEL/ZEN, TAKE THEM ALL!

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I just want Mars to come out for FX2. My favorite table.

Also, I cleaned out a little of my Friends list. People can invite me for competition or more points!

Cantido on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    The out there animations in the tables, especially Mars, are all cosmetic. I don't mind them at all. The ball having an aura at high speeds, the dolls and things coming to life, are probably what bothers you.

The ball streaking at high speeds does in fact bother me sometimes.

Also, I have yet to see a Stern table I like. They have weak-ass flippers, and Shreck and Family Guy are literally the same table with different art on it.

I do however want to see their World Poker Tour table in person, as it looks awesome.

IMG_3770.jpg

Note the angle of the flipper at the bottom.

Streak and spark effects can be turned off in the options menu FYI.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Picked up some points today. I have the 4 Core FX2 tables (Biolab, Rome, etc). Are there any others that I NEED to get. Any that are generally agreed on as must-play? Or conversely, must-avoid?

I was thinking about grabbing the 4 FX1 tables, but since there is no bulk discount I can pick and choose, so I thought I'd seek opinion.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I guess I need to start adding people from here to my friends. I had a lot of competition the first week or so, but now no one is trying to top my scores. I need a challenge. Although, I'm afraid all of your scores will be frustrating to surpass, at least I'll have a reason to keep playing. At least, until I get so disheartened that I delete anyone who has unreachable scores.

Gamertag: BoognishLives

Boognish on
    3DS: 5026-4424-9805
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Boognish wrote: »
    I guess I need to start adding people from here to my friends. I had a lot of competition the first week or so, but now no one is trying to top my scores. I need a challenge. Although, I'm afraid all of your scores will be frustrating to surpass, at least I'll have a reason to keep playing. At least, until I get so disheartened that I delete anyone who has unreachable scores.

You sound so sad!

Add me. Gamertag: JerDodge. I guarantee you'll have higher scores than me.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Ha! Well, I guess I was sad after logging on last night and seeing I still had a first place ribbon on all of the tables. It was fun going for the last couple I needed, and now I miss that tension. All I can do is the remaining achievements that are near impossible for me.

I don't want scores lower than mine! I want higher... but not too high. I'll add you, though. I doubt my scores are that great. All I have to compare them to are my three friends who played each table a couple times and then moved on to other games.

Boognish on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really, REALLY hope they offer combo packs/discounts for multiple tables.. cuz DAMN I want those marvel tables.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Picked up some points today. I have the 4 Core FX2 tables (Biolab, Rome, etc). Are there any others that I NEED to get. Any that are generally agreed on as must-play? Or conversely, must-avoid?

I was thinking about grabbing the 4 FX1 tables, but since there is no bulk discount I can pick and choose, so I thought I'd seek opinion.

If you're only getting 1 I'd grab Excalibur - it feels like an FX2 table.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Boognish wrote: »

Oh man, I hate you already. I top Cell's high score on Earth Defense, I'm totally going to be the new Pinball King! [BoognishLives friend request accepted].... not only do I not have the high score on Earth Defense, I'm a ways below your superscore.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wait...did rat just say someone is crushing his superscore O.o

*is in mortal fear of his leaderboards*

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow, all of those Marvel tables look great. I didn't look into the announcement and thought it would just be one table. Happily surprised!

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing how I stack up against some of you guys. I only have one person on my list with the game.

Gamertag: Edg1e

Edgie on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wait...did rat just say someone is crushing his superscore O.o

*is in mortal fear of his leaderboards*

Cell was in the lead with 357... most of today, I was at 355, then moved up to 363. Right before that game, I sent Boognish a friend request. After that game, I went to compare supersocre... and... well... He is at 557. D:

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well...that puts you 557 closer to 100k wizard score...so theres that.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It also makes me want to buy all the tables (someone at Zen is a DLC marketing genius)... BTW Earth Defense is awesome. I'll buy Nightmare Mansion or Excalibur next, then probably go for the original four. I'm sure I'll get the Marvel tables when they come out too. Man, this arcade game is going to end up costing quite a bit.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Earth Defense is a nice table. Not quite sure what I'm doing for most of the events like Invasion Multiball. But I like the table. Lots of animation and makes a lot of noise :p

Street Fighter isn't bad but man. Its events are brutal. Hard table to master, but still fun.

Only table I dislike really is Extreme. As long as no one beats my score on it I don't have to play it :p

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ratsult. When did you get Earth Defense.

Because for the time being, that was my saving grace.

No more, it would seem.

For the record, Excalibur is next on my shopping list. Then hopefully holding out until the Marvel tables hit. I'd like to get Buccaneer, but have no interest in the rest of the FX1 tables. (Extreme? Seriously. I'd rather play Jive Time.)

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ratsult. When did you get Earth Defense.

Because for the time being, that was my saving grace.

No more, it would seem.

For the record, Excalibur is next on my shopping list. Then hopefully holding out until the Marvel tables hit. I'd like to get Buccaneer, but have no interest in the rest of the FX1 tables. (Extreme? Seriously. I'd rather play Jive Time.)

Yesterday. I work fast.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Looks like Zen Studios gives out random codes on their twitter to redeem. Just cursory glance shows they've given out a code for the core content now twice.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I just want Mars, dammit!

Cantido on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just want FX2's leaderboard features on ZP. I want to know what I have to beat right now!

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Cell was in the lead with 357... most of today, I was at 355, then moved up to 363. Right before that game, I sent Boognish a friend request. After that game, I went to compare supersocre... and... well... He is at 557. D:
    It's only because I bought all of the old tables when they were originally released. Ratsult is killing my scores on the tables he has played... well, except for Earth Defense unless he beat my score again after I went to bed.
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    It also makes me want to buy all the tables (someone at Zen is a DLC marketing genius)... BTW Earth Defense is awesome. I'll buy Nightmare Mansion or Excalibur next, then probably go for the original four. I'm sure I'll get the Marvel tables when they come out too. Man, this arcade game is going to end up costing quite a bit.
    I really dislike Nightmare Mansion. I don't hate it, because I reserve that level of disdain for Xtreme. But it's almost as bad. It's one of the few tables that when I have a good game going, I'm actually annoyed and just want it to end. Unfortunately, I didn't get the Monster Hunt achievement on my play through so I have to play it again at some point.
    Earth Defense is a nice table. Not quite sure what I'm doing for most of the events like Invasion Multiball. But I like the table. Lots of animation and makes a lot of noise :p
    For Invasion, you need to hit all of the balls into the jet hole at the top of the table. If you get the first ball right away, it's over, but if you wait too long another ball gets added and then you need to get both of them in there. Basically, practice the fighter jet shot from the bottom right flipper until you get it down and then Invasion is pretty easy.
    Street Fighter isn't bad but man. Its events are brutal. Hard table to master, but still fun.
    Street Fighter can be rough. I've only managed to finish Chun Li on FX2. I can't remember how to fight Akuma, so that always sucks when he comes up. But I remember really getting into it on FX1 and the combos to select your fighter thing is really neat.

Boognish on
  • Options
    PolarBearPolarBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I played a bit of Secrets of the Deep last night. It started to click how it all works. The only thing I am really confused about now is the Escape thing. It says to use the launcher when the ball is under the magnet thing or something. Where is that? I thought it meant under where the ball has to go to operate the crane, but I couldn't get it to work. Do I have to hit A or do I have to use the Right Analog Stick? Sometimes I wish the rules were more clear in the help menu.

Also, my gamertag is Ursidae44 if anyone wants to add me. Right now I have all the FX2 tables and my scores are in the 10-20 million range on each. Nobody on my friends list plays :(

PolarBear on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    PolarBear wrote: »
    I played a bit of Secrets of the Deep last night. It started to click how it all works. The only thing I am really confused about now is the Escape thing. It says to use the launcher when the ball is under the magnet thing or something. Where is that? I thought it meant under where the ball has to go to operate the crane, but I couldn't get it to work. Do I have to hit A or do I have to use the Right Analog Stick? Sometimes I wish the rules were more clear in the help menu.

Also, my gamertag is Ursidae44 if anyone wants to add me. Right now I have all the FX2 tables and my scores are in the 10-20 million range on each. Nobody on my friends list plays :(

On the left side ramp, the one that takes you by the Kraken, the escape tunnel is right before the ball drops into the left ball return lane. If you hit the launch button right when the ball is at the tunnel, it will shoot the ball across the field into the whirlpoool, giving you two spins and advancing the submarine.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    PolarBearPolarBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ooooh that makes a lot more sense now. Thanks!

PolarBear on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Got the last Cheevo on extreme. Now I really have no reason other than masochism to play that table again :p

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I first read that as "machoism."

Both work.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Extreme really is a Godawful table. Not even the FX2 upgrade could help it. Of the original four Pinball FX tables (I'm including Buccaneer), Agents is my personal favorite, and perhaps the best designed as well.

Of the four new tables I find myself always drawn to Secrets of the Deep and Pasha when I'm just playing to play. Biolab is so busy I usually have no idea what I'm doing (I still like it though, but it's not one of my go-to's for just fun), and Rome is a marvelous table that is absolutely miserly when it comes to points.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Rome is my go to table. The low scoring makes it feel like any game could be a break out, high score game. It doesn't help that in my high score game I wasted an extra ball (in about 20 seconds), and when I lost my 3rd ball, I had conquer up, the extra ball spot up, AND Romulus. I'm happy with that score, but man... it could have easily been 10 million higher.

Ratsult2 on