Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

God damm malware

GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I got a particularly obnoxious malware program lurking somewhere in my hard drive that is tied to a fucking search engine called "ask". The SOP for this piece of crap is to redirect a web address to the search engine as a search topic; even if I click on the address it has listed or click a link from another page I wind up redirected to the search engine's results.

How do I go about exorcising this insufferable lump of code?

Gaddez on
Spoiler:

• SpudgeSpudge Registered User
    edited October 2010
    check your hosts file - windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

open it in notepad. If there's anything underneath the one line that says 127.0.0.1 localhost, select all and delete

then boot safe mode w networking, download MalwareBytes, update and scan

Play With Me
    Spoiler:
  • 3drage3drage Registered User
    edited October 2010
    Also run msconfig and check the start-up for suspicious file locations and names.

My always recommended advice: back up the stuff you can't live without and nuke the system from orbit.

• Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Download and Install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Make him do a full (complete) scan and delete every suspicius thing he finds. This tool work wonders.

firma1m.th.jpg
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    3drage wrote: »
    Also run msconfig and check the start-up for suspicious file locations and names.

My always recommended advice: back up the stuff you can't live without and nuke the system from orbit.

I second this. If you have a properly set up system the time to restore is almost always less than the time it would take to root out the pests, and you can always be 100% sure you got it this way.

that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
  • blakfeldblakfeld Registered User
    edited October 2010
    Download and Install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Make him do a full (complete) scan and delete every suspicius thing he finds. This tool work wonders.

And after that, run super anti-spyware (It looks fake, but it's legit), I've had better luck with that than Malware Bytes lately