As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PTA] Bide - Dead Game is Dead, See Last Post

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    [Kin Island, Bond Bridge]

[10, 18] The venonat attempts to take shelter behind Nemo, the over 3 foot tall bug somewhat awkwardly trying to squeeze behind the smaller turtle.

[19, crit] Otto notices a promising bush just a bit inside the forest, takes a step towards it, and stops. He suddenly notices four pairs of compound eyes staring at him…or the group on the bridge…with compound eyes…perhaps both? A glint of purple fur reveals the eyes almost certainly belong to additional venonat.

[20] The ranger and his spearow also take notice, the ranger grasping his left hand around his styler, just in case. “Well, that explains why the Venonat tried to cross a bridge occupied by humans, at least.” he says while stroking his chin.

“Hell yes it’s a great day to be out for a walk!” one of the businessmen replies enthusiastically. “Don’t get why all those stuffed shirts are spending their paid vacation inside their hotel when there’s perfectly good wilderness to explore. Guess I can’t blame them all that much with the mandate to be in business wear whenever not swimming to “project an image”…but I digress. We’re just here for the same reason as you are, to enjoy the outdoors and maybe give our pets a chance to stretch their muscles after all that time cooped up on a ferry.” The two seem rather oblivious to the nearby venonat.

[Knot Island, Kindle Road]

The ponyta looks at the snack offered from below, takes a step back, then leaps at the group!

[21] ...despite the flashy jump, it is not hostile to the ranger and researcher. It lands right next to Jamie, carefully removing the pokesnack from Jamie’s palm, managing to cover her hand with a layer of saliva in the process. Handy grabs the snack on the ground before the pony can get even greedier.

[17] Now that the pokemon isn’t so far away, Mitch is able to notice that this ponyta is a lot smaller than their standard size, indicating that this particular pokemon is very young. While it’s possible for a ponyta to survive without their parents, wild ponyta and rapidash usually stay with their children for longer than this…

The ponyta then proceeds to sprint to the north for three steps, turn around, and look at Jamie. It walks back to the group’s location, sprints north three steps again, and turns around. It looks at Jamie expectantly.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    [Bide] [JonForest]SquirtleSmallSprite.gif

While the timid Venonat is attempting to conceal itself behind Nemo the turtle pokemon is trying to speak to it in continually, although it's in ability to rotate it's head backwards makes that somewhat problematic. Jon stands back not wanting to crow the pokemon and frighten the Venonat into a further state of panic. <Why is this Venonat so scared? I really, really wish that I knew more about bug pokemon.> Trying his best to sound friendly Jon says "That's Nemo you're hiding behind and he's my friend, you don't have to worry anymore. We won't let anyone hurt you alright?" Doing his best to get a good look at it without moving Nemo he tries to examine the Venonat for any injuries.

For his part Nemo tries to speak to the pokemon pressing itself into the back of his shell, although the exact dialogue is difficult to discern for obvious reasons. He gestures at Jon repeatedly and seems to be conveying the idea that his trainer means no harm.

Sakutian on
    My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    Elemental KnightElemental Knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    [Bide] [Mitch Raimer] porygon_tiny.png

"It's a foal, maybe a yearling." Mitch becomes much less apprehensive of the Ponyta upon seeing its size, and slowly, calmly, approaches. "I'd be surprised if it was more than a year old. It's old enough to be fine without parents, but it typically takes a few years for a Ponyta to strike off on its own. I'd guess something happened, either to it or its parents."

On seeing its behavior - running off, returning, and then again - Mitch says, "and you don't have to have a degree in Poke-psychology to see that it wants you to follow it. Whatever happened, it might still be happening."

Elemental Knight on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    [Bide] Jamie [|||||||||-]190MS.png

Jamie grimaces at her lack of clothes, and does what she can to wipe the slobber off her hand with the limited amount of fabric on hand, or rather on her hips. Which really doesn't do much as it's already soaking wet from the swim the just finished. Though at least in her mind, sea water is marginally better than horse slobber.

Trotting after the pony, Jamie says, "Well, let's not keep Mr. Horse waiting then. Let's go see who did it. Who made whatever this is happen."

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Double update to counteract the momentum loss of the venonat encounter, make sure to read the previous update if you haven't yet.

From behind the cover of Nemo, the venonat’s compound eyes take a careful look at Forte, making the already embarrassed Gastly feel nervous at how deep and probing the stare is, feeling naked against it. The gastly proceeds to take cover behind his own trainer. [Venonat identified Forte!]

Feeling a bit more comfortable due to Jon’s encouragement and Forte’s fear, the venonat steps out, and begins to walk slowly towards the Berry forest while glancing backward at Jon.

Donburi, after a good minute of sunbathing on the bridge, suddenly stands up. He sniffs the ground and begins to walk towards the forest as well.

The ponyta runs around in a circle as Jamie and Mitch begin to move, then stops when its apparent they are trying to follow it somewhere. It whinnies in disappointment, then repeats the previous head forward, head back action. It stops for a moment, then proceeds to move behind Jamie and gently push her northward with its snout. Due to the pokemon’s strength it almost comes across as a shove.

Mitch considers the layout of the area when it comes to potentially pursuing the psyduck. Aside from climbing the ledge, he could reenter the ocean and swim alongside the island to reach where it jumped into the water. However pursuing a water pokemon in its own environment is often rather difficult, especially when one is definitely not an accomplished swimmer...

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Impressed by Forte's reaction to Venonat's attack, although he has no idea what sort of attack it was, Jon watches the fuzzy pokemon start moving towards the Berry Forest happily. It didn't seem to be very frightened anymore. Looking down at Nemo who was waving at Venonat Jon remembers how much fun he's had with his first pokemon since he met him such a shot time ago. Turning towards the retreating pokemon he says "Hey Venonat, if you want you can come along with Nemo and me instead of going back to the forest. I promise I'll always take good care of you, but I'm not going to force you to come with us if you'd rather stay here."

Pulling a pokeball out of his backpack Jon sets it down on the sand at his feet and steps a few feet back from it. Nemo follows suit keeping watch at his trainer's side to see what Venonat will decide to do next.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    [Bide] URL="http://pokemonadventures.pbworks.com/Johanna-Hugget"]Johanna Huggett[/URL
    donburi.png

"Donburi?"

Johanna stares at her tiny Munchlax for a moment, before shaking her head. He didn't normally get so serious about things, unless there was food or fun involved, but apparently there was something interesting over that way. With the Venonat apparently calmed down some, she stands upright and pats some of the dust off her legs, breathing out as she looks into the forest for herself. Is there something out there that she can't see? More than likely there was, she mused to herself, especially if Donburi was following his nose somewhere. With a gentle stride, she starts to follow her pokemon, making sure not to move fast enough to disturb the Venonat again.

"If you're going to try and catch him," Johanna says to Jon, "You might want to throw it at him first."

She continues walking, catching up to Donburi as best she can.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Jamie is utterly mystified by the ponyta's prancing about. Rubbing her back, she turns to her companion.

"Err...You wouldn't happen to have that degree in poke-whatchamcalits, do you?"

Oh. Fiddling with her styler, Jamie brings up the pokedex on Ponytas. Scanning it, she notices a line about how they grow stronger and faster by chasing after their parents. And if what Mitch had thought happened to the pony was true...

"Aww... You poor thing. You want to race? First one to the hot springs wins!"

Jamie takes off down the path, glancing over her shoulder after a few steps to see what the other's reactions are.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

<Right, definitely not swimming out to check on the Psyduck. As bumbling as they can be, though, that one's probably fine in the water.>

Watching the Ponyta's behavior, Mitch nods to Jamie's question. "Well, experimental Poke-psychology. It's much less exciting than it sounds..." He scratches the back of his head. "And I guess I'm not perfect at it, since the Ponyta seems to want to go somewhere else." If she and the Fire-type take off, he's going to (try and) keep up.

Elemental Knight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

[16] The Venonat feels somewhat awkward at how quickly Jon asked him to travel with him, not really knowing what the group was like. It looks at the pokeball, moves his hand over the recall button…then stops. It picks up the pokeball and motions for Nemo to follow it, the venonat barraging the squirtle with questions as they walk.

As lazy as Donburi may be, when he gets going he really gets going. The munchlax accelerates into a slight jog, Johanna awkwardly sprinting after the pokemon, barely keeping up.

The ranger begins to follow behind as the Munchlax passes Otto and the businessmen, the Munchlax accelerating to its maximum speed due to interpreting the ranger’s following as a contest for…whatever the munchlax smells. Johanna and the ranger can now smell a strong, almost sickeningly saccharine…odor in the forest, presumably what the Munchlax picked up. As the trainers and one munchlax pass, Otto notices that the four venonat in the trees make no motion to pursue them. In fact, two leave in an entirely different direction, presumably content with how the situation with the venonat on the bridge has resolved.

Back on the bridge, Forte picks up the scent of his favorite flavor and begins to drift to the forest, his hunger overcoming his embarrassment rather quickly. To the other pokemon and trainers without heightened senses of smell it isn’t apparent what exactly is going on.

[Berry Forest]

Johanna bursts into a forest clearing shortly after the ranger, noticing a hastily dug hole in the ground and Donburi carrying a pokemon that looks very confused. The pokemon in question: a blue plant bulb with short, rounded feet, dark green leaves on its head, and beady eyes with a red mouth opened in fear, quickly identified as an oddish by the female researcher. The scent seems to be dissipating from the area, and the munchlax seems to be debating whether to eat this oddish or throw it away; it certainly doesn’t smell like what it used to.

The ponyta neighs happily as it pursues Jamie upwards through Kindle road. [15] Though she has to stop a couple times, she’s able to keep up a fairly respectable pace, egged on further by the feeling that the ponyta is chasing her, despite how much she knows otherwise. This is also proven otherwise with the two times that the pair have to stop; as Jamie rests, the ponyta runs back to the other two slower runners to follow them, returning after giving Jamie about five minutes of rest. While their guide was able to easily keep up with Jamie, he elected to stick back with the less wilderness-capable researcher.

Jamie and the ponyta wait at the entrance of the hot springs. An entirely breathless Mitch soon arrives, steadying himself on the shoulder of Bruce. The ponyta happily whinnies once more, having had the best workout it's had in a long time. Jamie and Mitch, on the other hand, feel like they had the most grueling workout they've had in ages, their now taffy-like leg muscles aching all over.

Together the group enters the springs, the ponyta electing to follow even though the hot mist makes it uncomfortable. The hot springs are located in a natural cave, the various interesting rock formations dividing the pools into several subsections.

“You guys are pretty lucky to be here when it’s offseason, these springs are packed most of the time. Not to mention the swarms of incredibly tough trainers rarin’ for a battle, it can be tough to be starting trainers like you around here…” Bruce begins to initiate a typical guide speech detailing several factoids, such as when the hot springs were first opened to the public. Indeed, it seems like nobody else is there...

Suddenly the ponyta’s flames grow several inches and shades in intensity. Following its gaze, Mitch and Jamie can spot a very round, bulbous body floating in the water, the lower half of the bulbous body breaking through to the surface, with two tiny webbed feet pointing upwards towards the ceiling. Two small, three-clawed arms point more or less into the water. Coming closer, the two can faintly make out a yellow head and duckbill... completely submerged underwater. It looks almost as if it were doing a floating handstand, except the water is way too deep for it to be touching the ground.

It’s a psyduck.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    [Bide] URL="http://pokemonadventures.pbworks.com/Johanna-Hugget"]Johanna Huggett[/URL
    446MS.png

After tilting her head to start puzzling out the situation, Johanna quickly realises that Donburi's confusion may be a slight problem for her attempts to befriend this newly-found pokemon. Kneeling, she pulls the Oddish from Donburi's hands, and places it on the ground again, putting herself between the bulb pokemon and her stalwart Munchlax companion. She smiles and pats it for a second, before pulling her hand back and saying, "I'm sorry about that - you were just smelling really good, see, and I think he got a little confused."

She reaches into her bag and pulls out a small snack that Donburi has expressed preference for in the past, and pulls out one to put in his hands. A small way to replace the maybe-snack she had just pulled away from him.

Johanna then opens her hand and offers a second one to the Oddish, and kindly asks, "Did you want one?"

aww yiss, oddish is on my list

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Jamie focused on catching her breath, missing most of what Mr. Guide Man was saying about the hot springs. The moist warm air in the cave was already doing wonders to unwind the knots in her muscles. All she could think about was sitting in one of those steaming pools and laying back, maybe taking a nap...

Feeling, more than seeing the ponyta's sudden change in mood, she looks at what Mr. Horsey is glaring at, and decides that she doesn't really want to deal with it. "Hey, can you guys take care of that? I'll try to calm down Mr. Pony"

Fumbling with the bag, she pulls another poke treat out and holds it out in front of the ponyta. Her muscles groaning in complaint, as if to protest moving away from the hot springs, she tries to walk in a semi circle to turn the pony's attention away from whatever was bothering it.

"C'mon Mr. Pony. Don't let that mean old pokemon bother you. C'mon, it's alright." Jamie tried using a calm voice to try to soothe the fire horse.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Following Nemo and the Venonat, who now seem to be deeply engaged in conversation Jon looks towards the forest as most of the other trainers and pokemon disappear into the woods. "I hope that we don't get too far from one another, I'd really hate to get lost out here all night." Pulling the left strap of his backpack onto his shoulder he wonders why he didn't bring more supplies with him for the journey. He hadn't thought to bring any food, camping equipment, or even a first aid kit in case he or Nemo were injured. The image of a swarm of furious Beedrills chasing him and his pokemon through a dark forest sends a shiver up his spine. <I'm definitely going to buy us some supplies with that coupon as soon as we get off of this island.>

Smiling at the busily chatting pokemon who are leading the way he says "Alright then we'll just follow your lead venonat. Is there something you want to show us?"

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    [Bide] [Ripley Venkmann] gastly.png

As the party moves on, Ripley merely sigh and brings his hand to a facepalm position. He stood like that for a while.

<So much for Venonat. Oh well. 'There are plenty of Magicarp in the sea', Mr. Fuji always said.> Even if he didn't capture the Venonat, he still was cross at Gastly. He didn't know if he should have laughed or scolded at the tongue-tied Pokemon, who was now well hiding behind him.

"Well, serves you right for scaring a Pokemon like that. Be thankful he didn't tackle you on the spot! Next time, listen to me for once... please?" was all Ripley could say to Forte. Whether Forte understood him, or whether he got some common sense, the ghost merely nods in compliance.

He knew Forte meant well. He just didn't like his Pokemon running around all the time, scaring Pokemon (or people) senseless. How do they intend to capture a Pokemon if they keep chasing it away?

Ripley sighs.

As he saw the rest moving off towards the Berry Forest, Ripley turns around and says "So, we going to the forest, or what?"

Forte wasn't there.

Ripley looks around bewildered, wondering where his Gastly went off to.

He finally spots Forte making his way towards the Berry Forest. He looked entranced.

"Damn it all. Forte!" was all Ripley muttered before he chased after the floating purple head...

Sorry for the late post.

My graphics card decided it was time to go to the afterlife, leaving me without a functioning PC for a while.

Back on track though.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    [Bide] [Otto Pine]
    066MS.png

Otto moves to pick up a few berries from the bush he saw earlier, ignoring any remaining Venonat. He and Gideon begin a light jog after the ranger. The coordinator makes sure to fill his pack with as many berries as possible along the way, stopping to pluck any from a bush he passes. Gideon attempts to help, occasionally testing the fruit for taste while Otto isn't looking.

Whyther on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Mitch nods at Jamie's suggestion, too worn out to speak a response. Instead, he stumbles over to the hotspring, and slowly sinks into the relaxing water, his worn muscles gladly untensing as his weight is lifted off of them. After a moment to catch his breath, adjust to the heat, and put Pei's Pokeball on a convenient rock, he takes a breath, and keeps sinking, until his head dips under the surface - and he comes face-to-face with the Psyduck.

If it looks like he won't be attacked for doing so, he'll try to rotate the Psyduck so that it's right-side up, so they can at least talk. Otherwise, he'll resurface and think of something else.

Elemental Knight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [Berry Forest]

[4] The oddish edges towards the treat, then promptly freaks out when the Munchlax loudly and sloppily eats his; it seems the oddish has just realized what the Munchlax was considering before. It begins to flee, but then stops, noticing something. It leaps into the hole it once occupied, frantically trying to cover itself in dirt.

[5, 5] Johanna and the ranger look around in confusion. [14] [11 (truant, success)] Donburi narrows his eyes, then suddenly and intentionally slams into a tree. A small bird with brown feathers, a black feathered “mask” around its eyes, and a plump white belly falls from the tree, hitting the ground before it can right itself. [??? takes 5 damage]

Johanna manages to identify the pokemon as a pidgey with a glance, only to hear further flapping of wings. She turns around just in time to see two more pidgeys flying straight at her and the guide!

The ranger shouts out and points skyward, having just spotted a fourth pidgey directly above them.

[Wild Pidgey x4 appeared!]

Jon and Ripley arrive just behind their respective pokemon, ready to jump to the rescue of the two trainers already under attack. But where’s Otto?

[Berry Forest path]

[19] Though the walk to Johanna is extremely short, Otto manages to gather berries not only from the promising bush earlier, but also finds a small patch of orans. And he’s only just getting started.

[Found 2 Iapapa berries]
    [Found 4 Oran berries]

[Hot Springs]

“Psy…duck?” turning the pokemon right side up results in the Psyduck’s blank stare once again meeting Mitch’s. The psyduck instantly places his hands on his head once it is no longer submerged in the hot water.

“…PSYDUCK!” as the psyduck notices the ponyta, it quickly submerges itself, emerging behind the researcher. It seems to be taking great pains to not be seen by the ponyta.

The ponyta’s flames change once again to a dull red, and its head lowers. A trace of sadness can be seen in its eyes. It seems to appreciate Jamie's efforts, but it has become clear the ponyta wasn't mad as much as excited.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Seeing the small flock of bird pokemon descending on Johanna and the others Jon doesn't hesitate to step into the fray. At least that's what he'd like to say. In truth his knees start shaking as he thinks of what he can do to help. He'd seen his mother in pokemon battles dozens of times but he'd never been in one himself. Part of him wanted to recall Nemo to his pokeball and run away right then and there. <What if I mess up and Nemo gets hurt? I'm not sure I can do this...">

Jon looks at Nemo and sees that he is already moving towards the Pidgeys, he seems to be waiting for a command from his trainer. <Nemo isn't scared. He's just standing by my side like always waiting for me to tell him what to do. I can't let him down!> Swallowing a great gulp of air that struggles to get past the lump in his throat Jon turns his attention to Venonat first.

"Venonat you'd better stay behind me alright? I don't want you to get hurt." Jon puts himself between Venonat and the Pidgeys hoping to shield the insect pokemon with his body if they decide to attack.

"Alright Nemo it's time for our first battle!" Jon's voice quakes and cracks but he manages to speak clearly at least. He points at the descending Pidgeys and issues his command. "Go and tackle that pidgey as hard as you can!"

"Squirt, squirt, squirtle!" Nemo smiles and charges towards the pidgeys who are diving towards Johanna.

Trainer Actions
    Pokemon Action: Nemo Uses Tackle

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Issuing a command is actually a free action

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh, sorry about that, still getting a handle on the actions. :oops:

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It doesn't really matter, just getting it out there now, before preconceptions start

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    [Bide] [Ripley Venkmann] gastly.png

Ripley spots the encroaching flock of Pidgey. He knew these feathered avians, by name mostly. After all, these type of birds hailed from Kanto, Ripley's home region. As such, they were quite numerous. His thoughts then focused back on Forte.

<Great. The one type of Pokemon Forte has no EFFECT over. Maybe the Pokedex might have some more info on them. Preferrably a weakness we could exploit...>

Meanwhile, Ripley points towards the approaching Pidgeys with his other hand, and issues an order to his Gastly.

"OK, Forte. Consider THIS our first fight! Use Hypnosis on one of the Pidgey. We may be able to knock one out of the skies, evening the odds a bit."

Forte gladly complies (for once), and he locks his eyes with one of the Pidgey, his eyes starting to glow a bright red light...

Trainer Actions:
    Trainer: Scan the Pidgey with the Pokedex
    Pokemon Action: Forte Uses Hypnosis on any of the Pidgey (preferably the one that was damaged by Donburi, but any one will do)

Also, Forte is pretty much useless against these guys, them being normal types (Lick is a ghost type move).

Rawk: Is Forte's Lick still disabled? Not that it matters much against them. However, he might be able to help Johanna with her Oddish problem.

Otherwise, Ripley's gonna have to go punch some birds... in the FACE!

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Forte's lick is no longer disabled (expires at "end of encounter", I'll rule that as over.)

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Jamie gave a wan smile, all that she really had the energy to spare, as she saw the ponyta appear to calm down a bit. Tentatively, she reaches to pat the ponyta on the head, her hand stopping an inch away, unsure about how safe that would really be.

Cooing at the pokemon, Jamie tries to reassure it. "It's okay Mr. Pony. Just let me know what's wrong and we can try to fix it. Together?"

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    donburi.png

Johanna grabs her bat tightly and rushes over to the place where the Oddish is re-burying itself. It might have been scared by Donburi and his apparently insatiable hunger, but she'll defend it with everything she's got left in her. Clutching the wooden handle and standing over the hole, she looks at her newfound comrades rushing forward, and decides to show them what Donburi can do. When he isn't, um, doing absolutely nothing.

"Donburi, keep it up," she calls out, trying to remember everything she knows about the Pidgey species, "Tackle them!"

If memory serves correct, Pidgey are a light breed, and therefore any of Donburi's physical tackles should overpower them significantly.

That is, of course, if he decides to actually do anything.

Man what's up with all you guys rushing to help Johanna, she ain't need no man to help her win this battle

simonwolf on
  • Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    [Bide] [Otto Pine]
    066MS.png

YES. HELL YES. Otto has no idea what these fruits are, but dammit, he knows that the key to success starts with nutrition and a healthy diet. It looks like Gideon's career is catching its second wind-- things were finally looking up for our duo! They high-five, and continue along the path.

"Think, Gideon, this is after just a couple of minutes of looking!"

"Chop!" The machop responds, licking a bit of oran juice of his lips.

"I mean, we could get a whole stockpile going, man-- We could plant the berries and grow our own garden! This is really, exciting, man; I don't know about you, but I am so psyched about--" Otto stops, hearing yelling. "Uh-oh," he says, as the two run to catch up with the group. He arrives as the pokémon follow their trainers' orders, and begins to reluctantly see that maybe Gideon may have to fight as well.

Whyther on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Man what's up with all you guys rushing to help Johanna, she ain't need no man to help her win this battle

Jon is more concerned that the Pidgeys will be too speedy for Donburi to react in time than anything else.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Mitch watches the Psyduck dive and re-emerge with him between it and the Ponyta. "Well, obviously you're still worried." He glances over at the Ponyta and Jamie, and then back to the Psyduck. "I think he's calmed down, at least a little bit. I don't think he's going to start fighting you, at any rate. Is that what you're worried about?"

Mitch glances over at Pei's Pokeball - letting Pei out might be helpful, letting one (sort-of) duck talk to another. But he doesn't want to startle this guy any more, let alone make it look like he's reaching for an empty Pokeball...

Can I check, skill-wise, to see if the Psyduck would react aversely to me letting Apeirohedron out of his 'ball?

Elemental Knight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sakutian wrote: »

Jon is more concerned that the Pidgeys will be to speedy for Donburi to react in time than anything else.

Oh, I'm sure. Just don't push your malecentric maleocracy on me.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Jon is more concerned that the Pidgeys will be too speedy for Donburi to react in time than anything else.

To be fair, Nemo's hardly a fast pokemon either.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

To be fair, Nemo's hardly a fast pokemon either.

Yeah that's true. It's like the snail racing the turtle I suppose.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [Berry Forest]

[15] Robert rapidly produces his styler while diving out of the way of the incoming pidgeys. The agile ranger easily turns his dive into a cartwheel, regaining his footing in an instant. He whips the capture disc of his styler forward, sparks of energy flying from it right in front of the skyward pidgey. The pokemon begins to fly haphazardly, managing to bob and weave unpredictably in the process. [Wild pidgey is confused!]

[1] Robert’s spearow flies at the confused pokemon, but its random movements seem to be making it harder, not easier, to hit. The spearow begins to turn around for another attack.

[9] Forte’s eyes flash as he locks eye contact with the pidgey just starting to get up. The pidgey’s eyelids begin to close…

[Sleep Check: 17] [9] Then the pidgey shakes his head, taking off and flying straight towards the hastily burrowing oddish, sending the now panicked grass-type airborne flying into a tree trunk. [Oddish takes 15 damage!]

[11] Another pidgey flies toward Johanna, viewing the trainer as a threat to the food they recently caught whiff of…

[15] Donburi reacts surprisingly quickly, putting his immense weight in between the pidgey and Johanna. The pidgey’s beak makes a minor gash as the bird pokemon bounces off and away. [Donburi takes 11 damage!]

[17] Johanna sighs in relief, only to be caught in the gut by another bird. [Johanna takes 14 damage!]

[Confusion check: 15] [12] In its drunken bobbing, the pidgey directly above the group conjures up a gust of wind, buffeting the Munchlax to minor effect. [Donburi takes 8 damage!]

[14] Not minding her own wounds, Johanna strikes back at the pidgey that assaulted the oddish with Mitch’s old slugger, but the inexperienced trainer only manages to clip its foot lightly [Pidgey 1 takes 2 damage!]

[13] Then Nemo collides with it, knocking it even further off-balance. [Pidgey 1 takes 10 damage!]

[10] Donburi then proceeds to fall on the pidgey it blocked, crushing it. [Pidgey 2 takes 41 damage! Pidgey 2 fainted!]

Suddenly, the bushes to the south rustle. The silhouettes of two figures can be spotted emerging...

Wild Pokemon status:
    Oddish: -xx]

Pidgey #1: -xx
    ]
    Pidgey #2: [xx---] [KO]
    Pidgey #3:
    Pidgey #4: [Confused] [/color]

[Hot Springs]

Jamie gathers up the courage to touch the ponyta. Amazingly, the horse’s fires do not burn her. Petting the horse feels no different than holding one’s hands near a warm campfire. The pony nestles its head in Johanna’s arms, glad to not have a surrogate parent that hasn’t run away.

[8] The psyduck's vacant stare remains, as it remained even when it was panicking over the appearance of the ponyta. With a face like that, Mitch isn’t sure how it’ll react to grabbing a pokeball.

[1, critical failure] Mentioning the ponyta again, however, does not go over well with the psyduck. With a splash, it is once again underwater. Though a rather slow swimmer, it is trying to stealthily move to a different part of the hot springs. With how shallow the waters are, the only thing it is fooling is the ponyta.

[/COLOR]

For those confused about what Donburi did

Player's Handbook
    In emergencies, where you, the Trainer, are getting targeted by an attack one of that Trainer’s Pokemon who has not Shifted during that round may make a check on 1d20 to try and Shift into the line of sight in order to intercept the attack. If the pokemon’s Speed stat is 20 or below they must roll 11 or better on the d20 check to be allowed to Shift into the way of the attack. If their Speed stat exceeds 20, they need only to roll 6 or better on the d20 Check. If a pokemon’s Speed stat exceeds 35, they do not need to make a check and may always Shift into the way of an attack targeting their Trainer if they have not Shifted yet that round.

I'll assume that your active pokemon will intercept attacks targeting you unless you say otherwise. There are some exceptions, such as if doing so will prevent the pokemon from using a melee attack that it was commanded to use (since melee attacks generally require you to shift next to your target. In this case Donburi's intercepting of a melee attack put him right in range of a pidgey, where it could use its own attack.)

Also for combat I think I'm gonna omit all the rolls except for the attack rolls of your pokemon (and maybe a few other of their rolls), unless an opposing pokemon gets a crit or something. There are just too many numbers in the combat description above.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    donburi.png

Clutching her aching torso, Johanna grits her teeth and tries to pull back again, to cover the Oddish. Of course the Pidgey were attacking, they could smell the Oddish's scent - she should have realised sooner, done something to cover the poor thing better, but that was in the past. Trying to stand firm again, she looked to her coming comrades and tried to emphasise that this situation needs to be resolved, quickly.

"Donburi," she says, a surprising waver to her voice that she hadn't entirely expected, "Tackle them again!"

Swinging the bat into a low defensive position, she really hoped that the Pidgeys would split their focus, instead of piling on her again.

Well, shit. Johanna's down to 22hp, and Donburi's on 38hp. This isn't exactly fun times.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Suck it up. This is Pokemon Tabletop Adventures, not Barbie Horse Adventures.

Serious Business.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pretty sure it also isn't Get Murdered By A Flock Of Fuckin' Pidgey Adventures either.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Combat does have an unfortunate tendency to be extremely fast and jarringly swingy.

Reminds me of that very first route when you're walkin' around with your brand new level 5 starter and that level 4 pidgey or hoothoot crits you in the face and ohshitwheresmypotionwheresmypotion.

Except that's every single battle.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    From OP:
    notsoy wrote:
    What this means is that the world as a whole is much more dangerous than you may be thinking. Wild Pokémon and unsavory fellows alike will be all too happy to attack en masse, or to attack you instead of waiting to see the Pokémon you send out...unless you defuse the situation before it comes to that, of course. And if things go south and you go down, let’s hope your teammates can bail you out…or that you pass the saving throw against death.

Alternate humorous response: Just wait till Get Murdered by a Swarm of Fuckin' Rattata Adventures

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm not debating that the world shouldn't be "more dangerous" than the one presented in the games, I'm saying that it seems a little weird/awkward that anything in the game seems capable of straight up murdering you in a hit or two.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You are also playing the pokemon equivalent of a 3rd edition wizard, with below-average con and everything.

Thankfully unlike the wizard you aren't a significant threat as an individual, and most wilds don't recognize just how much help the commands from trainers help their pokemon.

It certainly takes some getting used to, but speaking from personal experience playing a defensively weak trainer is manageable.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

The ferocity of the Pidgey's attack on Donburi and Johanna is more than a bit unsettling for Jon. Still he couldn't help but feel a surge of pride watching his pokemon battling for the first time. "Nice work Nemo, now try and finish that Pidgey off with another tackle!"

Spotting Otto and Gideon waiting nearby with a load of freshly picked berries on hand Jon has a sudden inspiration. "Otto throw the berries!"

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch