As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fixing a possibly scratched DVD

atkbobatkbob Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I recently purchased a used copy of Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance online, and quickly beat the game. While the game was awesome, I think my copy is damaged/scratched, as a lot of the voice sequences wouldn't play, and it would freeze to a black screen every time it went to the Caution mode. Looking at the back of the disk, there are a few small scratches, and it appears to have been polished or disk doctored before. I want to replay the game, but I don't think I can take having to kill Raiden every time I'm seen, or run to another room so the alert status will hopefully refresh.

Are there any suggestions you guys have, maybe involving toothpaste or something? My main concern is possibly damaging the disk, as I would have a pretty hard time replacing it. I'm also assuming the disk is damaged, as my PS2 has never had problems with freezing before, and I don't think the game would have bugs like these. Also, none of the scratches seem very large or deep, but I don't really have any other ideas.

atkbobsig4kp5me8zl.png
atkbob on

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    atkbob wrote:
    I'm also assuming the disk is damaged, as my PS2 has never had problems with freezing before, and I don't think the game would have bugs like these. Also, none of the scratches seem very large or deep, but I don't really have any other ideas.

How old is your PS2?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Brasso. $4 in cleaning isle of supermarket.

Use with soft cloth, rub for a long time. Scratches will disappear.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    atkbobatkbob Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TehSpectre wrote:
    atkbob wrote:
    I'm also assuming the disk is damaged, as my PS2 has never had problems with freezing before, and I don't think the game would have bugs like these. Also, none of the scratches seem very large or deep, but I don't really have any other ideas.

How old is your PS2?
    About 3 years. It's a Fat PS2.

atkbob on
    atkbobsig4kp5me8zl.png
  • Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Your results may vary, but I've had very good results with Pledge. Spray on a soft cloth and wipe in a circular motion on the disc to get it into the scratches, then buff with the dry side of the cloth till it's shiny again. Not entirely sure of the mechanics of it, but I've saved several scratched discs using this method.

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    DukhatDukhat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a game dr. and it does actually work. Its kind of annoyig to use though. Gamecrazies also have a CD/DVD repairing machine that makes many scratched up discs look brand new. I believe it costs like 2 bucks though, but is really well done.

Dukhat on
    Holla!
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Brasso is by far the best DIY method polishing out scratches on CDs and DVDs. The only thing better is using an industrial resurfacing machine like Dukhat mentioned. I heard Gamespot has 'em, but I don't have a Gamespot in my area to confirm that.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My friends own a really great used CD store. They get a lot of their inventory off ebay, so they end up repairing dozens of scratched CD's per week. So whenever I have a scratched disc, I just take it to them. They have a power buffer that polishes out all but the deepest scratches perfectly. So if you know of a good used music store, check them out for all your scratch removal needs.

Also, you can try the CD/DVD burner method. For some reason, when you copy optical media with a burner, there's a very good chance it will read through the scratches and produce a new scratch-free copy.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Question: ok, I took your guys' advice and bought some brass pollisher for my scratched Chrono Cross disc. Well, I buffed it a couple of times, and I still have the problem.

The scratch is still there, though not as prominant. Do I need to essentaill buff it out?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg