As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You Don't Know JACK -- Get it for consoles, not PC. OP has more details.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just watched the GiantBomb video and yeah, this is everything I was hoping for. Any DLC will be easy purchase decisions for me.

joshofalltrades on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Watching the launch party stream. It's pretty bad.

http://www.justin.tv/thestreamdottv

Houn on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow, watching that Giant Bomb look just brings back so many freaking memories.

The fact that you don't Buzz in is interesting. Each person answering each question should be interesting.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It looks like it works very well. Some people are slower readers than others, so they don't get left out this way.

joshofalltrades on
    edited February 2011
    I miss Impossible Questions. Also, getting penalized for buzzing too early, and being forced to type in the answer.

Houn on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Houn wrote: »
    Watching the launch party stream. It's pretty bad.

http://www.justin.tv/thestreamdottv

This is absolutely hilarious.

One can only hope to reach this level of drunkenness.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited February 2011
    It does seem to get better the more they drink.

Houn on
    edited February 2011
    Houn wrote: »
    I miss Impossible Questions. Also, getting penalized for buzzing too early, and being forced to type in the answer.

I wonder if the PC version will be "classic" mode of Jack insanity.

Marikir on
    edited February 2011
    Ok this party is pretty goddamn entertaining.

Raiden333 on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, that got better as it went on.

Houn on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I gotta say that the 5 stages of grief butter question is amazing.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    that QL really sold me on this. doesnt hurt that its $30 also. yessssss.

Ah_Pook on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So this is $30 now, but I pre-ordered via Bestbuy.com when it was $40... Surely they'll refund me the difference, yes?

DarkPrimus on
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    that QL really sold me on this. doesnt hurt that its $30 also. yessssss.

Yussss. Birthday is on the 13th - I foresee a shitload of drinking and a lot of 'OH BULLSHIT' coming from my place.

RisenPhoenix on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Watched some of the Giantbomb stuff, really impressed.

Buuut I'm gonna have to check to see if it's coming out in Australia, I haven't heard a peep about it at work.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So this is $30 now, but I pre-ordered via Bestbuy.com when it was $40... Surely they'll refund me the difference, yes?

Did they actually charge you at time of preorder?

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I can't see an Australian release date.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited February 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    I gotta say that the 5 stages of grief butter question is amazing.

Without a doubt the best question on that quick look

joshofalltrades on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only thing that worries me if having to select a show from the menu. I know The Ride had preset shows, but it just picked one for you. That is not enough to keep me from preordering it though.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2011
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Did they actually charge you at time of preorder?

No, it just deducted the Reward Zone points I'd applied to it... looking at the order status, there are different totals of money owed depending on where I look in the order status screen. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

DarkPrimus on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jclast wrote: »
    The only thing that worries me if having to select a show from the menu. I know The Ride had preset shows, but it just picked one for you. That is not enough to keep me from preordering it though.

The Quick Look shows an Auto-select button which probably also picks one at random.

However, I like being able to go through them in order because you will be able to guarantee that you will never see a duplicated question, and by the time you reach the end you might be able to just start right back again at the beginning, having forgotten the questions that you started with.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The QL sold me on this for local play with friends, but 730 questions, and each set having the same questions...that seems kinda lacking to me. Seems like it would kill online play.

I hope DLC is abundant.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited February 2011
    Well, trivia games with online play are always going to be dead, outside of playing with friends. Somebody will play through the entire game as quickly as possible and put every correct answer on gamefaqs and the people who always have to win will just have all the answers to Ctrl+F at their fingertips.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited February 2011
    Well, trivia games with online play are always going to be dead, outside of playing with friends. Somebody will play through the entire game as quickly as possible and put every correct answer on gamefaqs and the people who always have to win will just have all the answers to Ctrl+F at their fingertips.

Nevermind that that defeats the entire purpose of the game.

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2011
    It's be awesome to have like "Club Jack", where you pay $10 a month and get like one or two new 10-question episodes a week.

Raiden333 on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    if you count the jack attacks as questions, that's 803 questions total, which seems like a pretty good amount compared to previous volumes

add dlc question packs and I can see someone getting a lot of time out of this, particularly playing with friends

TheySlashThem on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Some of the Achievements for this are brilliant

UnbreakableVow on
    edited February 2011
    Taking It From Behind is an achievement I must have on my profile

joshofalltrades on
    edited February 2011
    Some of the Achievements for this are brilliant

*goes to read the list*

Yeah, you're right. I like these, they seem fun.

Marikir on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So can someone lay this out simply for me? I used to love whichever version I had back in the day and got quite a bit of replay out of it.

People have been mentioning this new version has X amount of questions. Is this a high or low amount considered to previous games? How much replay are we looking at here?

Endaro on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Endaro wrote: »
    So can someone lay this out simply for me? I used to love whichever version I had back in the day and got quite a bit of replay out of it.

People have been mentioning this new version has X amount of questions. Is this a high or low amount considered to previous games? How much replay are we looking at here?

There are 73 episodes available, and they're all 11 questions long (including what looks like one Dis or Dat and the Jack Attack). This is closer to the short game from prior versions (7 questions) than the long game (21 questions, I think). As to whether that's more of less questions than others games I'm not sure, but it sounds like more to me. I don't think I could have gone 73 games in any of the other versions without a repeat.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2011
    As I recall, The Ride went to a thirteen question length format. I remember it asking me if I wanted 7 or 21 and no matter what I chose, it changed to 13. So, 11 isn't to far from that, at least.

Marikir on
    edited February 2011
    I can't believe I can't find any information on the internet about how many questions were in previous versions. I mean this is usually front and center box information, "over 800 questions!" or whatever.

UncleSporky on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think the first one was "Over 500 Questions!" and Vol 2 was "More than 600!"

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited February 2011
    So, I was at Gamestop today, and what did they happen to have? A used set of Scene It controllers, all four, in perfect condition, for $20.

I am prepared.

Houn on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm barely containing my jealousy. I can foresee many rowdy nights with the neighbors playing this.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
    edited February 2011
    Marikir wrote: »
    As I recall, The Ride went to a thirteen question length format. I remember it asking me if I wanted 7 or 21 and no matter what I chose, it changed to 13. So, 11 isn't to far from that, at least.

To follow-up to this (while I wait for Killzone 3 to let me into a damn MP match), I installed my old copy of The Ride (Volume 4) on my Vista laptop and played it with my wife earlier tonight.

13 questions in a game, with a DisOrDat, a Roadkill, and of course, the Jack Attack.

I assume that the move to 11 questions a game in the newest version was to help keep it moving and to keep from repeating questions too much.

Marikir on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does this game come with friends?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nope, so you've got two days to go make some.

In other news, I stopped into my local GS to pre-purchase and I'm glad I did. They got a total of 2 copies in.
    3 if you count both 360 and PS3.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

To follow-up to this (while I wait for Killzone 3 to let me into a damn MP match), I installed my old copy of The Ride (Volume 4) on my Vista laptop and played it with my wife earlier tonight.

13 questions in a game, with a DisOrDat, a Roadkill, and of course, the Jack Attack.

I assume that the move to 11 questions a game in the newest version was to help keep it moving and to keep from repeating questions too much.

It's divided into episodes. 73 of them. You will not see a repeated question unless you play an episode again. That's more questions than individual previous games. And there will be DLC. Most likely -lots- of DLC. That I will be purchasing. I'm hoping it's quarterly.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion