As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sometimes Books Are Turned Into Things that Move...

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bloods End wrote: »
    The comics are having a big cross over right now with Scorpious being more awesome ever and our favorite crew being royally frelled.

Scorpious is great. I always like how originally he didn't seem to be John's nemesis but that he was such a great character and played so well there was really no reason not to make him the villain of the series. A lot of the best parts of Farscape were Scorpious really chewing up the scenery.

Actually, the best parts of Farscape were episodes where John and/or the crew was batshit insane. Traltixx trying to take over Moya, for example, or when he is getting mind-raped by that Scaren and hallucinates Rygel dressed as a dominatrix.

Solar on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I tried getting into the comics... couldn't do it. The wit and look of the show is hard to reproduce, and the writers and artists can't pull off the mighty task imo. Plus aliens on paper and aliens brought too life are too totally diffrent things!

Awesome that Grunchlk survived though. He was a scumbag, but I always felt bad for how he was treated in the peacekeeper wars. They bring him into the mix to help save their friends, accuse him of being a spy, manhandle him, then leave him to die... dick move team.

If I had a billion dollars, first thing I would do would be to make a farscape spin-off about the misadventures of Sikozu and Grunchlk following the mini-series.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJABsJQCZHA&feature=player_embedded[/video]
    Green Lantern Trailer...in a weird sputtering quality

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Saw the version shown on Entertainment Tonight, which I don't recommend anyone do because the hosts actually talk over the trailer.

I want to think that it's because I'm really not a big GL fan, but it didn't really do much for me. Ryan Reynold doesn't seem right for the role, and the cg looks wonky.

But it's a trailer, so you know, things could change, yada, yada and all that. Hammond looked sort of silly, but considering that they show a quick glimpse of tons of people running away from something, I'm guessing that's not the super big bad.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man...I...I don't know.

Reynolds really sells the look. He's got it. He's totally on it. Whether or not you buy him as Hal Jordan, he's nailing the feeling of being a hero, being a guy with a heart that might win the day.

But the Abin Sur crash. They needed to nail that too...and I just didn't see that. It didn't seem dramatic enough or serious enough. This is a fucking alien in a ship, looking you in the eye. Why doesn't it feel incredible? Why aren't we scared and amazed? Dude looks like he's waiting for his lunch.

I'm sure it's gonna be awesome, but I really wish they'd done something...more with Abin Sur. I know I'm not being helpful, but, like I said, Reynolds is doing a bang-up job.

Enough that I'd be cool with him hanging out with Superman.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Reynolds really has that "cocky yet worried this time he's in over his head" act down, but that costume, even though it's only a few extra seconds of seeing it, still not liking it. Would have liked to see a construct beyond giant fist (and no giant boxing glove).

Blake Lively seemed even more stilted in talking with Hal at their lockers than the frame rate for that trailer.

The way I've felt about the movie so far, it's that I would go see it if someone else paid for the tickets, but I wouldn't pay myself to see it. I'm still hoping as we get closer to the summer that will change, because I'd rather like DC to have a comic movie do well outside of Batman in terms of both money and characterization.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The facemask/bulging eyes thing is off-putting.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    RadculaRadcula Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/greenlantern/

for a good quality look at terrible cgi and worse acting from blake lively

Radcula on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ok, I take back my comment on Abin Sur. That Apple trailer looks LOADS better. It's not even funny. All I could tell in Youtube is that he's a magenta dude. I couldn't even notice the burn marks on his face before, or his 'You better be ready for this, earthman' expression. Watch the Apple link if you can and ignore the Linterna Verde Youtube trailer.

Also:

Hal Jordan's roommate/drinking buddy/whatever in the Jeep, holding onto the power battery for some reason.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks a lot better than the clips. If these are unfinished graphics, then its going to look neat

except lively can't act for shit apparently

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    She had a decent performance in THE TOWN, but all of her screen time involved fucking, being fucked up, or standing around and not saying anything.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    If Farscape taught me anything, it's that puppets these days are multi-million dollar animatronic prosthetics.

God that was the best show ever. Fucking shame it ended way to soon :(

Funny you guys just brought it up. I JUST finished watching all four seasons and the Peacekeeper Wars the other day. Fucking loved it.

I also just watched that GL trailer and thought it's looking fantastic so far, though it'd look far better if the framerate wasn't so shit.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viqzSPKN2TU&feature=related

Does anyone have any idea what this is from? Because Marvel really should hire or completely rip this off for Cgi movies

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010
    I believe that was just a short done for Marvel.com?

but yeah I don't know why they don't make full length ones like that

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That's....that's pretty fucking awesome. I can find no fault with any of it. I hope whoever was involved was paid handsomely and is doing more.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Radcula wrote: »
    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/greenlantern/

for a good quality look at terrible cgi and worse acting from blake lively

yup, really not impressed at all.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok, I take back my comment on Abin Sur. That Apple trailer looks LOADS better. It's not even funny. All I could tell in Youtube is that he's a magenta dude. I couldn't even notice the burn marks on his face before, or his 'You better be ready for this, earthman' expression. Watch the Apple link if you can and ignore the Linterna Verde Youtube trailer.

Also:

Hal Jordan's roommate/drinking buddy/whatever in the Jeep, holding onto the power battery for some reason.

Was that his mechanic buddy, who Carol married while Hal was dead but then she divorced him because according to Geoff Johns, everyone in the DCU has a mad hard-on for Hal?

Outside of Blake Lively's acting, which does look pretty horrible (hopefully she's the Katie Holmes of GL), I thought it looked good. The CGI could do with a bit more work but there's still a good 8 months till release, so they've still got plenty of time. Probably should've gone with Weta though.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok.

That looked really cool. Although I am a little tired of the epic latin music for trailers.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Also:

Was that his mechanic buddy, who Carol married while Hal was dead but then she divorced him because according to Geoff Johns, everyone in the DCU has a mad hard-on for Hal?

Outside of Blake Lively's acting, which does look pretty horrible (hopefully she's the Katie Holmes of GL), I thought it looked good. The CGI could do with a bit more work but there's still a good 8 months till release, so they've still got plenty of time. Probably should've gone with Weta though.

I think Blake Lively's problem is that she's not really seasoned enough for this level of acting or to be performing with the level of skilled actors she's been cast beside. She's okay enough for her Gossip Girl television her Traveling Pants movies, but this is grown up time now and I can't think of a single thing she's been in where she had to portray a woman dealing with mature adult issues (I know, I know, movie about space cops here). She just seems to me like a girl playing the part of a woman and it doesn't mesh well.

But then again I probably just want this to fail so Reynolds has more time for Deadpool.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That Marvel CGI thing is pretty fucking rad. If only Parker had been like that in the movies, then it might have been as good as...

Green Lantern looks! Which is pretty good and the CGI is much nicer in that trailer. I don't get what all the beef is, the suit is skintight yet glows, which was always going to look wierd but it doesn't look unrealistic or fake IMO, and the construct fist looked pretty cool. Oa is fantastic, Ryan Reynolds seems as always to be getting into the role and Blake Lively is the only downer for me, she's not got the chops to make the role more than a standard Superhero Girlfriend(tm).

Solar on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think Blake Lively's problem is that she's not really seasoned enough for this level of acting or to be performing with the level of skilled actors she's been cast beside. She's okay enough for her Gossip Girl television her Traveling Pants movies, but this is grown up time now and I can't think of a single thing she's been in where she had to portray a woman dealing with mature adult issues (I know, I know, movie about space cops here). She just seems to me like a girl playing the part of a woman and it doesn't mesh well.

ignorant comments like this are pretty funny. go watch The Town

as for the CGI in the trailer, watch the last shot when he thinks the suit on. the way it tries to match his breathing just looks... weird

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hammond's head needs to be 100x bigger than that. Sinestro looked badass.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah Sinestro looked pretty cool.

Solar on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sinestro pisses me off. You would think those big headed little blue guys would be smart enough to say, "hey... he looks pretty evil... like cliche' 30's villain evil. Plus his name starts with sin."

I guess none of them read comic books.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cowboys and Aliens trailer.

I kind of hope this movie makes a bunch of money. Just because I have a perverse admiration for Platinum Studios's dedication to pumping out pretty cool comics that were blatant, shameless attempts at being optioned for movies.

Munch on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sinestro pisses me off. You would think those big headed little blue guys would be smart enough to say, "hey... he looks pretty evil... like cliche' 30's villain evil. Plus his name starts with sin."

I was mildly hoping they would change him up a bit for the movie, to make his reveal as a bad guy less obvious.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

No, see, it's brilliant. Sinestro pickes visual and audio queues that reveal him as evil only to people from Earth! So long as they're all stuck on a backwater planet on the edge of the Mikly Way, he can never be outed as being a villian until it's too late!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Harrison Ford shouldn't be allowed to wear hats in movies not named Indiana Jones and the something something

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

ignorant comments like this are pretty funny. go watch The Town

as for the CGI in the trailer, watch the last shot when he thinks the suit on. the way it tries to match his breathing just looks... weird

I totally forgot she was even in that. Also I haven't seen The Town yet, I better watch it.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    RadculaRadcula Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That Marvel short is pretty great, and the animation looks similar to the CGI done for Ultimate Alliance 1. Spider-Man looks (and, I think, sounds) pretty much the same. I love the opening cinematic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehSMJypYSDM

Radcula on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sci-Fi forum contest to win full Farscape DVD collection

Neat Coincidence that as we posted just a day or 2 ago about Farscape, thought I'd share this, maybe the coincidence will win it for a PA forumer.

edit: if someone besides me wins, I call dibs on borrowing it!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's 67 dollars on amazon. Pony up

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I literally own no other complete TV series on DVD but Farscape. It's worth evry penny.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Can I post the Red Band trailer for Your Highness here? it's not reallya comic book movie, but the other forums scare me, and it's a Fantasy setting somewhat.

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's not comic based so I'm not sure it'll be allowed. But it is a great trailer and I highly suggest everyone pop on over to the D&D trailers thread to give it a quick look see. If you like Natalie Portman and thongs you'll like the trailer.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2010
    Again, this is a comics forum. Farscape doesn't even qualify, so I'm not even sure why that's here. There are at least two other subforums on this website alone that you can discuss both Farscape and Your Highness in.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

No, see, it's brilliant. Sinestro pickes visual and audio queues that reveal him as evil only to people from Earth! So long as they're all stuck on a backwater planet on the edge of the Mikly Way, he can never be outed as being a villian until it's too late!

And even now, those same cues - when used outside of actual villainy - will bring to mind more of a Snape-ish antihero than an actual bad guy. Everyone will expect him to give Dumbledore a mercy killing and help save the day somehow, and then BAM! Sinestro's bringing sexy back, twirling the mustache, tying the blues to railroad tracks, the works. Old school.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Latest bit of news on Batman 3 suggests that Tom Hardy might be playing the role of Hugo Strange. Now, while this is still just a rumor right now, the source for this tidbit of info. are the same people who broke the news about the female casting roles a few days back. Strange may very well not be the villian, but I for one am kind of hoping this is true. I think Nolan's Batman taking on a brainy villain might work very well.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ya , I figured it was a long shot, altho Farscape did come up for a comic book reason ( puppet examples heh)

And seriously, outside GV, those people scare me 99% of the time, but I'll keep it comicy , sorry geebs

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The season premiere of Human Target, good stuff dude. Looks like they got a little bit bigger budget this year too.

Glad to see it back, much better than what No Ordinary Family has turned into.

TexiKen on