As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sometimes Books Are Turned Into Things that Move...

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I saw it as when each member joined up.

It's like the Stonecutters, Flash can kick Green Arrow in the butt and get away with it but Batman can punch him in the face and he has to accept it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

It's like the Stonecutters, Flash can kick Green Arrow in the butt and get away with it but Batman can punch him in the face and he has to accept it.

Didn't Flash join before Batman? because it took a while for Batman to actually accept that it might be a good idea to work with other superheroes.

Also Flash was the best guy in the series and every time he got a chance to shine I was so happy, like when he beat up Luthor/Braniac. I always wondered why he didn't just clear out goons in an instant, as it is he always seem a little bit gimped.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Solar wrote: »

Didn't Flash join before Batman? because it took a while for Batman to actually accept that it might be a good idea to work with other superheroes.

Also Flash was the best guy in the series and every time he got a chance to shine I was so happy, like when he beat up Luthor/Braniac. I always wondered why he didn't just clear out goons in an instant, as it is he always seem a little bit gimped.

Young Justice is in a whole new world, a new fantastic point of view.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Having watched that video I can say that Speedy being a douche suprises me in no way whatsoever.

Solar on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Solar wrote: »

Young Justice is in a whole new world, a new fantastic point of view.

Earth-16 to be exact

Furu on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, having watched that clip, I now feel less bad about the fact that his daughter will die and he'll start snorting dead cats.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Speedy's probably going to
    die in the pilot. They were hyping character deaths as soon as the airing of the first clip, and I don't think they'd do that if they were saving it for the finale or mid-season break.

It'll be Morph all over again.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Speedy's probably going to
    die in the pilot. They were hyping character deaths as soon as the airing of the first clip, and I don't think they'd do that if they were saving it for the finale or mid-season break.

It'll be Morph all over again.

Nope. We've seen art of Red Arrow.

Furu on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow, the new Green Hornet trailer is actually pretty sweet.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wow, the new Green Hornet trailer is actually pretty sweet.

Yeah I am really looking forward to that.

Solar on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The fact that Christoph Waltz is the villain in GH makes it a must-see for me.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Good... aquaman has a beard. Aquaman's always ok when he has a beard in TV shows. He utterly kicked ass in Justice League and is awesome on Brave and the Bold. Now why can't they transfer that too the comics?

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    first look at Green Lantern villain that some people still might not know about
    It's Parallax

parallaxu.jpg

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Crab louse? I suppose that works for Hal Jordan, now that I think about it.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Don't know if anyone has seen this series, but the second season just started and its great. Misfits is a British series about delinquents that get powers. Not based on a comic, but it's comicesque and seriously well written. Not for everyone but I cannot recommend it enough.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just a reminder, the Firebreather cartoon debuts in half an hour (6PM CST, 7PM EST, etc.).

For those unaware, it's based on the Phil Hester/Andy Kuhn comic of the same name. Here's the elevator pitch: Godzilla meets a human lady, and the two have a scaly baby, endowed with all kinds of powers. Godzilla and the human lady get a divorce, human lady gets custody, Godzilla gets a swingin' bachelor pad in the desert filled with gold coins and skeletons, and the scaly baby grows up. When he comes of age, he's told that he'll one day have to take over his Dad's job of King of the Monsters, and is put through a series of tests to prepare him for that eventuality.

Now, how much of that will actually make it into the movie is anyone's guess. But Hester's said that it's good, and it's directed by Peter Chung (Aeon Flux), and Eric Canete did a lot of character designs for it. Plus, they seem to be playing up the whole "kaiju" angle, which should mean there'll be a lot of giant monsters and such.

Also, a new Firebreather comic debuted today, which was pretty awesome.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Y: The Last Man loses its prospective director, D.J. Caruso.
    "I love, love, love that project. I think the biggest problem for me was I saw it as a trilogy. I didn't think that you could take Yorick's story and put it in to a two-hour movie and do it justice. That was sort of the difference. I think that New Line, working with Warner Bros. in their new relationship, just felt reluctant thinking that we can't leave this thing open. If you are familiar with the comic book you know it's just mind-boggling. If you look at what my buddy Frank Darabont did with The Walking Dead you think, I don't know is that the best thing for it? Because there is just so much great stuff, so no I'm not involved with that anymore."

I didn't even know a director had been attached to the film.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've never read Y: The Last Man but does it really say...
    that not one female left in the world was smart enough to run America's power grids?

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This is actually mentioned in the comic.
    Special agents went around shutting down nuclear plants and weapon sites. Bigger places and cities still had running power like Tokyo and San Francisco. Poor Sydney though, the Opera House turned into a poop parlor for heroin addicts

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I've never read Y: The Last Man but does it really say...
    that not one female left in the world was smart enough to run America's power grids?

It's not an issue of intelligence, but rather the disarray which follows widespread death and destruction.

And BKV regularly affirms that women, at least as a whole, have the intelligence and resourcefulness to take care of themselves.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ah OK, that clarifies things a bit. I might eventually get all the hardcover collections for Y, at least the series has an ending unlike Fables. Not saying Fables is bad but I don't want to get roped into a long running series since I already follow too many.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010
    you should read Y: The Last Man to find out!

because it's an excellent comic

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    you should read Y: The Last Man to find out!

because it's an excellent comic

I do need something to read during Tech training early next year. It'd be nice to have all 5 hardcovers in my room.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's been a while since I read any Y, but wasn't it also a matter of happenstance to some degree? Some areas absolutely didn't have women qualified to operate power plants or what have you and some did.

Dorktron9000 on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's one of those things where there weren't enough women doing those jobs, so when shit hit the fan, a lot of those power plants just didn't have enough staff left that knew what they were doing. Air travel evaporated because 90% of pilots were male.

It actually was saying something about gender inequality in modern society, rather during female competence in a post-apocalypse setting. As Robo said, the author affirms that yes, indeedy, women are intelligent and resourceful.

Good book. I often wonder what chicks would think of it, because no one I know would possibly try it.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Spider-Man musical commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-zWVtw7mVU&feature=player_embedded

And on Sunday, 60 minutes is doing a segment on it. Leslie Stahl will probably ask "what the hell's a Carnage?"

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Young Justice is fucking awesome, guys. Fucking awesome.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    is the pilot episode floating around out there?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I just flipped it on. Dubbilex is there, and I think I saw the Guardian, so that's cool.

Looks like it'll be drawing on a lot of the more obscure DCU lore, which I'm always in favor of.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    is the pilot episode floating around out there?

It is on the TV Machine right now.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Son of a.....

Need to put it on the DVR list.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Son of a.....

Need to put it on the DVR list.

They're just showing the pilot. I almost missed it myself; thought it was at 8.

The full series doesn't start till january, which is better than April which is what wikipedia said.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ok, if the series hasn't started yet and this is a one off, that makes more sense. Otherwise DC should be tsk tsk'd for not promoting the series like Marvel did with the Avengers cartoon.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Man, Young Justice is bullshit.

The real Superboy like, decapitates teenagers with backhands. And he should be all cutting bitches in half with his heat vision.

DC doesn't give a shit about the real fans. They just want to appeal to fucking toddlers and sell toys. Way to rape my childhood, DC.
    Somebody* is thinking this right now.
    *Geoff Johns

Munch on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's really good so far. It's odd how DC just destroys Marvel when it comes to animated series. I really didn't care that much for the Avengers cartoon, as it feels a bit too much geared for kids, but this one straddles a good line.

Two voices sound familiar as hell and I can't place them though- The Guardian and Speedy's.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Munch you like good things, tell me honestly. Young Justice, good?

Solar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So far, yeah. Better than the early episodes of Justice League, and the animation quality's on par with Crisis on Two Earths.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    So far, yeah. Better than the early episodes of Justice League, and the animation quality's on par with Crisis on Two Earths.

Watchin' dis.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That ending was pretty epic.

Although I get the feeling Munch spoke too soon with his comment about Superboy...

Edit: Also,
    It seems like we might be getting a second version of Superman who is a dead-beat dad.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    That ending was pretty epic.

Although I get the feeling Munch spoke too soon with his comment about Superboy...

So Superboy is more Geoff Johns than Karl Kesel?

Edit: Also,
    It seems like we might be getting a second version of Superman who is a dead-beat dad.

whaaaat.

Need to watch this when it shows up again, but this Arizona/Oregon game is more interesting than it should be.

TexiKen on