Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[XBLA Game On] Yu-Gi-Oh! Decade Duels - 12/22/10: DLC Packs Have Arrived!

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
ygo5dsdecadeduelscover2.jpg

After a year of Magic: The Gathering monopolizing the card-game portion of X-Box Live (unless you count Uno too), Microsoft and Konami are finally bringing Yu-Gi-Oh! to the Arcade with Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's: Decade Duels. Here's what to expect for the mere sum of 800 points according to the 'back of the game's case'.
* Complete with the most robust card offering and the opportunity to purchase additional card packs through XBOX Live Arcade Marketplace to expand your deck
-Includes cards from Classic Yu-Gi-Oh!, GX and 5D's
* Complete against the most popular Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's characters during the finals
* Battle through Single player or compete in 4 player tag duels with text and voice chat ability
* Includes 3 modes of play:
- Rank Match- Compete against Yu-Gi-Oh! fans of the same rank and ability
- Quick Match- Jump right into the action and compete against any Yu-Gi-Oh! fan
- Custom Match- Battle your friends and completely customize the rules of play
* Complete with live leader boards to track your rank as well as your friends
Become a Duelist - Play a single player game 10G
First to become a true Duelist - Win a Preliminary Tournament 10G
Become a Signer - Defeat Yusei 10G
Absolute King of the Turbo Duel - Defeat Jack 10G
You have talent! - Save an original Deck Recipe 10G
Create a friend! - Play a Tag Duel 10G
You became a tag Duelist! - Win a Tag Duel for the first time 10G
Becoming a special Duelist - Win and get a Rare Card 10G
Violent Duelist - Inflict at least 1 million total damage 20G
Lonely Duelist - 100 wins in Single Mode 30G
Friendly Duelist - 100 wins in Tag Duel 30G
Ultimate Duelist - 200 wins in any mode 40G

Some questions those of you interested in playing might have are..

Is this more like Gin Rummy or Poker? (Playing Basics)
Spoiler:

Who're those guys with the horn-hair? (Background And 'Duelistis Personae')
Spoiler:

Where can I find out more stuff so I don't lose so much to xXYugi1FAn!Xx? (Links)

Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia - A good database of every card released so far as well as gameplay information (like the current Forbidden/Limited/Semi-Limited card list)and deck strategies.
Pojo.com's YGO Forum - An active message board with sub-forums dedicated to single-card and archetype/deck guides.
(Currently) Complete Card List on GameFAQs - And the same list restructured into available Archetypes/Types.

Anyone here have the game so I don't have to play xXYugi1FAn!Xx again? (Gamertag List)

aBlank - Blankosaurus
PaperLuigi44 - PaperLuigi44
Azues - Azureblade89
redfield85 - REDFIELD85
Newres - Newres
Matev - Duck Ninja

Drop a post with your XBL Gamertag and I'll add it to the list! I'll be getting myself up to Gold by the end of the month (hopefully) so I'll be able to join you.

Owenashi on

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 I believe they disproved that on Mythbusters... Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I had no idea that this was coming out already until today.

I shall be interested in getting it, so long as the base mechanics are solid. CCGs were always a guilty pleasure of mine.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    CARD GAMES

ON MOTHERFUCKING

MOTORCYCLES

CARD GAMES ON MOTORBIKES

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 I believe they disproved that on Mythbusters... Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was wondering how long it would take for that to be posted :P

• aBlankaBlank Registered User
    edited November 2010
    I'll be picking this up... I'm a sucker for these type of games, I just hope it holds up.

I heard there's no ban/forbidden list... at least in the single player. That's both hilarious and sad at the same time.

(EDIT) also, GT is Blankosaurus

(EDIT#2) god they start you off with a shitty deck against well made decks. I've won 1 game by pure luck. My very first game my opponent had Goya Guardian and Android Psychic thingie on the FIRST TURN. Wouldn't be a huge deal if I had a competent deck but my highest level card is a level 7 neo-space warrior (NORMAL monster). Just hopeless.

Also, there does appear to be limited cards. Monster reborn is limited to 1. Haven't come across bans but I'd assume they just aren't in the game.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was a huge Yugioh nut back in the day. I am going to give this a try and will let you all know if I purchase it.

[3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [360/Steam/One] Redfield85 | [PS3] Recchi85
    [Pinny Arcade] Looking for: Giraffey, Rayman
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
  • MatevMatev I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE ALIVE AS I WAS SAYINGRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If I can build a Toon Deck, those bastards can have my money.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Spoiler:
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I should mention that you shouldn't expect much out of the starter deck as it is. The deck they hand you in YGO video games always tend to be random more or less. This one does however have some nice cards but from what I can tell only one high-level Monster, Elemental Hero Neos. At least they were kind enough to include the Skyscraper Field Magic Card so him and the two or three other Elemental Heroes in the deck can take advantage of it. Also, until the DLC drops, the only way to get new cards is to duel. You earn at least one card when you lose and (according to posts on other forums) about five to fifteen cards when you win, most likely the amount tied into how well you beat your opponent.

edited November 2010
    Matev wrote: »

haven't ran into any toons yet, but I've seen gladiator beasts, dark world, earthbound immortals (I actually got one but have like 0 support cards for it -_-), frogs, etc. I'd be surprised if they didn't show up somewhere.

As far as card unlocking goes, as far as I can tell it's directly related to the # of points you get. Rather than give BP (or whatever they were called) in the DS games based on how well you did, they just straight up give you more cards for doing more shit. Stuff like killing the guy at exactly 0 HP, filling monster/spell zones, sychron summons, etc.

Right now, I'm just trying to survive. I haven't beaten the first tourney yet but I've come close a few times. My deck is pretty fucking random but I've managed to pull 2 Monarch's (caius woot!) so I can play a ghetto beatdown now finally.

• MatevMatev I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE ALIVE AS I WAS SAYINGRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fine, fine, fine, I'll play children's card games.... it'll be fabulous.

Spoiler:
    edited November 2010
    aBlank wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »

haven't ran into any toons yet, but I've seen gladiator beasts, dark world, earthbound immortals (I actually got one but have like 0 support cards for it -_-), frogs, etc. I'd be surprised if they didn't show up somewhere.

As far as card unlocking goes, as far as I can tell it's directly related to the # of points you get. Rather than give BP (or whatever they were called) in the DS games based on how well you did, they just straight up give you more cards for doing more shit. Stuff like killing the guy at exactly 0 HP, filling monster/spell zones, sychron summons, etc.

Right now, I'm just trying to survive. I haven't beaten the first tourney yet but I've come close a few times. My deck is pretty fucking random but I've managed to pull 2 Monarch's (caius woot!) so I can play a ghetto beatdown now finally.

If I have to and if I get enough cards, I'll aim for the Gladiator Beasts archetype first. They sound fun and I've always wanted to play them. I wish they included more room to save deck-lineups. Only fifteen deck-recipe spaces and I've already used two; one for the starter deck and one for any modification I make to it.

On another note, do you think it'd be a good idea to drop a list of certain archetypes in the thread? I probably don't have room directly in the OP but I'd add a link to the list-post if it'll help those who're new to the game.

• KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hell yes. Been looking forward to this since I sold some of my cards for a cool couple hundred. 8-)

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
    edited November 2010
    got a toon gemini elf... so yeah, there are toons.

Also, Jack's deck is incapable of dealing with 'marshmellow' type units. I only managed to beat him once because I decked him just sticking my aracana force 0 -the fool out there since turn 5. If I only had more marshmellows I could of beaten him :( Oh well.

edited November 2010
    Simply Fabulous [/Pegasus]

Spoiler:
    edited November 2010
    Alright, I'm going to be getting more points today, is the stuff like the UI, et al all good? Any complaints?

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So does this have full on deck building? I got briefly heavily into the current YuGi Ds game at the time, but tired of the fact that everyone playing online seemed to have a gameshark and hence a perfect tournament winning deck.

TingleSigBar.gif
    WiiU: JamWarrior
    edited November 2010
    So does this have full on deck building? I got briefly heavily into the current YuGi Ds game at the time, but tired of the fact that everyone playing online seemed to have a gameshark and hence a perfect tournament winning deck.

yep, just good luck getting the cards you want. You're basically given random cards and what's worse, is you're ability to collect more cards is actually penalized if you start playing in the 2nd tourney :( It's pretty bullshit.

edited November 2010

yep, just good luck getting the cards you want. You're basically given random cards and what's worse, is you're ability to collect more cards is actually penalized if you start playing in the 2nd tourney :( It's pretty bullshit.

The random card deal isn't so bad in my eyes. That's how it more or less goes in the other games. They just happen to use booster packs and in-game currency to buy them.

As for the amount of cards you can get playing, according to a couple of posts over at GameFAQs you earn a card for every 20 points you earn in a duel. One of the two players behind the discovery has been also piecing together what moves in a duel earn you points. Most likely not 100% accurate until more players validate the results.
    Leafgreen wrote:
    here is a list on how to eanr points and for ever 20 points you get you get a card

win duel=100 points
    number of turns=10 points per 10 turns not sure on this
    number of times using a spell=1 point per spell card you use
    number of times using a trap=1 point per trap card you use
    synchro summons=4 points per synchro
    tribute summon= 4 points per triubting summoning
    fusion summon=4 points per fusion monster summoned
    difference in lp=30 points
    maxium dmg reflected=6 points
    win with oppoent lp at zero=20 points
    win by inflciting battle dmg only=10 points
    use your entire monster zone=10 points
    unused traps=15 points
    unused spells=15points
    unused special summon=10 points
    win without taking dmg=10 points
    match win=50 points
    comeback=10 points
    win on opponent turn=20 points

edited November 2010
    Owenashi wrote: »

The random card deal isn't so bad in my eyes. That's how it more or less goes in the other games. They just happen to use booster packs and in-game currency to buy them.

At least with packs you knew the general cards/themes you were going into. It's going to be forever before I can piece together a gladiators deck.

On the other hand, I've gotten a lot of the E-heroes 'staples' so far... so there's that I guess :/

edited November 2010
    So, I shouldn't get this game then?

There is no trading/auction feature I presume.

edited November 2010
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, I shouldn't get this game then?

There is no trading/auction feature I presume.

Nope on the trading/auction feature. If you want to try out the game first for free though, it does have a demo like other XBLA games and from what someone on another forum reported, you can transfer any cards you earn in the demo over to the full game.

• rabblerouserrabblerouser Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    can I not have this game go on my record? you understand.

edited November 2010
    I didn't look at who made this game, but why not just keep it like the DS games? You can buy packs that are themed, etc, etc.

I WANT to get this game, but there isn't much that makes me really want to get it. Even though I played the DS games alone, I still had a ball playing. I loved seeing the monsters pop up from the cards. This game just seems bleh.

I think I might just get the newest DS game. Or just go back to the card game and make decks with the cards I already have and play with friends.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Finally once I get my internet going I will rip shit up. The DS games were hacker central.

edited November 2010
    I didn't look at who made this game, but why not just keep it like the DS games? You can buy packs that are themed, etc, etc.

I WANT to get this game, but there isn't much that makes me really want to get it. Even though I played the DS games alone, I still had a ball playing. I loved seeing the monsters pop up from the cards. This game just seems bleh.

I think I might just get the newest DS game. Or just go back to the card game and make decks with the cards I already have and play with friends.

If you plan to buy one of the DS games, you might want to hold off on that until the next World Championship game is announced. Konami has mentioned a 3DS YGO game is currently in the works but no one knows yet if it's WC-2011 or simply a stand-alone game being made to test the 3DS' capabilities.

EDIT: An update on the cards transferring over from the demo to the full game:
    Yes but you have to buy the game before you quit. the demo doesn't save so if you quit the game without buying it you'll loose all the cards you just earned.

DOUBLE-EDIT!: An entry on Konami's Facebook-page about DD has mentioned what DLC players will first be getting and when.
    Yu-Gi-Oh! fans, the wait is finally over! Turn on your TV, fire up your 360 and get Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Decade Duels now on XBOX Live. And, in just 4 weeks you can grab 10 DLC card packs to amp up your decks. http://goo.gl/1Me2i ESRB Rating: E for Everyone

edited November 2010
    The 3DS title will finally brng the Nintendo YGO games up to par with the PSP ones. They might even have DLC so that in the year( okay realistically they'll stop before that) between games you can keep your decks current.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Do you unlock cards in online matches or only single player?

TingleSigBar.gif
    WiiU: JamWarrior
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i'm not gonna lie
    i fucking want this

3DS - 3239-3347-2159
    XB1/360 - Local H Jay
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus In a library with broken glasses Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Since I currently have no 360, I won't be getting this, but I'll be picking up Tag Force 5 when it's released here next month.
    Spoiler:

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow
    edited November 2010
    Do you unlock cards in online matches or only single player?

So far, it seems like it's only via the single-player mode. As mentioned at the top of the page, Konami will be releasing card-DLC in four weeks for those who can't bear butting heads against the NPCs for cards. Between the DLC and grind, it shouldn't take too long for players to get their decks in shape. Then maybe we can start organizing a tournament or two. :)

Some of the cards earned by the single-player mode have been pretty good BTW and they do include ones that aren't sold as part of regular booster sets either. Some players have reported getting this as their first card.
    Spoiler:

edited November 2010
    If getting random cards is one of the only real complaints then I don't really mind, that's how I remember it in in the GBA game I played the hell out of (I think it was Stairway to the Destined Duel), I'll likely get this tonight.

edited November 2010
    Ha legal Obelisk. So fun to watch the reactions to this guy hitting the field

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ha legal Obelisk. So fun to watch the reactions to this guy hitting the field
    It's been legal for a while now.

EDIT: So has Ra.

camo_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Alright, got this, played some matches:

- Not gonna lie, my starter deck is pretty solid. Although that may be the fact that they've been smarter with the cards they've included (like, I'm not seeing any Skull Servents or any other trash, for example). This theory is helped by the fact that in one match my opponent fused a monster in turn two, then used Miracle Fusion to fuse another copy of that monster D:

- UI is nothing fancy but it gets the job done, music is fairly catchy, I've already heard a few different tunes and it changes when the match comes down to the wire, which I like.

- AI is strange. On the one hand it's quite competent (I always seem to barely lose the second and third matches) and it isn't a cheating mind-reader when it comes to attacking face-downs like in previous games. But on the other hand I've had one time where they countered my spell with a spell that actually destroyed his more powerful monster. Maybe it was a one-off.

Overall I'm having fun, that smug sense of satisfaction when your opponent plays into your hands is definatly there, and I've won matches at the last possible moment.

edited November 2010
    I think I am going to be a sucker and get this. I really wish they would let you import your real cards how they used to let you in the DS games.

edited November 2010
    I think I am going to be a sucker and get this. I really wish they would let you import your real cards how they used to let you in the DS games.

Try out the demo if you haven't already, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Also, I really hope Total Defence Shogun and Axe of Despair are in this, those were my favourite cards when playing on the GBA.

edited November 2010
    I played through the demo once and got my ass handed to me. Haha. I will play it again and then probably buy it.

• KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How far do the card sets go? Is it up to (at least) Crossroads of Chaos or completely current?

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
    edited November 2010
    I now have Obelisk, huh.

And even the first people you fight are brutal, I keep getting whupped by enemies who perfectly structure their deck to summon multiple high-level monsters :(

At least the rewards for winning are pretty good, hopefully it'll just be a matter of time before I get a solid theme going.

edited November 2010
    Hrm, guess I'll give the demo a shot when I get home tonight.

Spoiler: