As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

F2P Battlefield (also 1942 - 2142 appreciation thread)

Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed UnicornIf ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
BATTLEFIELD PLAY4FREE

(Beta signups in link)

EA and Dice have just announced another Free to play Battlefield game, no this isn't Battlefield Heroes.

Set in Modern times (that's topical!) and featuring maps from Battlefield 2, and hopefully more. Up to 32 Players can duke it out as either American or Russian Forces and will feature kits from Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Pew pew Kaboomz!

Waka Laka on

• SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jets? And the potential for the game to be as cash shop influenced as Battlefield Heroes?

No thanks.

Sigtyr on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I'd rather just pay for a retail update to Battlefield 2.

Or I would, if it wasn't for the fact they would almost certainly release new [better] weapons as DLC anyway.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't think we really need another ea/dice modern times shooter right now. Free or not.

-SPI- on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    what a wonderfully imaginative title.

i wonder what's reasoning for another f2p battlefield title. different demographics? if heroes is casual then this is slightly more "serious" i guess?

whatever it is, after the sort of thing that happened with heroes, i'm not exactly itching to try this out. plus, you know, i already own bf2 and bad company 2.

Zxerol on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It looks like it's just the Battlefield 2 engine but using some play for free thing.

I'd rather they just release Battlefield 3 for £30 or whatever in the shops, I lost interest in Battlefield Heroes pretty quickly and the lack of a pc demo of BC2 meant a no buy for me. (among other things)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I don't think we really need another ea/dice modern times shooter right now. Free or not.

Too bad! BF3 on the way.

stimtokolos on
    edited November 2010

Too bad! BF3 on the way.

In who knows how many years.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I'll stick with Battlefield 2.

Kadoken on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not particularly excited at the news about the game, but I do like that retake on the BF2 theme song.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like battlefield, but I really would prefer BF3 to a free simplified version.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want BF2143.

Evil Weevil on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want BF2143.

yeaahh

remember when that was coming out?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    man, that jet is about to crash into the ground

I wonder what the pilot was doing/thinking at that instant

MrDelish on
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Too bad! BF3 on the way.

In who knows how many years.

Doesn't matter.

www.warsow.net

stimtokolos on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Unless they somehow decide to put stupid abilities in this, it'll probably be better than Battlefield Heroes.

Also, is the PC version of BF1943 still supposed to come out at some point? I actually thought it came out a while ago, but it's not listed on the EA Store.

Peewi on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alright, first it made me annoyed when its only allowing 32 players, but than I got a little pissed when I read the article of Battlefield Online on Wikipedia, which is a korean BF2 with 2142's graphics, however, their pop cap is 100, and its free. Why don't they translate this obviously better version and make it into english? Here's what the article says:Battlefield Online(Spoilered for convienence)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Battlefield Online
    GRB: 15, 18
    Media Download
    Battlefield Online (Korean: 배틀필드 온라인) is a free online first person shooter developed by Neowiz Games, Electronic Arts and EA Digital Illusions CE, and distributed by Neowiz Games. It is a remake of Battlefield 2. However, its game engine is not Battlefield 2's one, but Battlefield 2142's modified Refractor Engine 2, with graphic-improvements over Battlefield 2. It is being developed by Neowiz Games of South Korea with oversight from license-holder Electronic Arts. Having started its 2nd beta test, Battlefield Online unlike Battlefield 2 has shown support for 100-maximal-player battles. The open beta test of the game was started on March 30, 2010.

Kadoken on
    edited November 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Alright, first it made me annoyed when its only allowing 32 players, but than I got a little pissed when I read the article of Battlefield Online on Wikipedia, which is a korean BF2 with 2142's graphics, however, their pop cap is 100, and its free. Why don't they translate this obviously better version and make it into english? Here's what the article says:Battlefield Online(Spoilered for convienence)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Battlefield Online
    GRB: 15, 18
    Media Download
    Battlefield Online (Korean: 배틀필드 온라인) is a free online first person shooter developed by Neowiz Games, Electronic Arts and EA Digital Illusions CE, and distributed by Neowiz Games. It is a remake of Battlefield 2. However, its game engine is not Battlefield 2's one, but Battlefield 2142's modified Refractor Engine 2, with graphic-improvements over Battlefield 2. It is being developed by Neowiz Games of South Korea with oversight from license-holder Electronic Arts. Having started its 2nd beta test, Battlefield Online unlike Battlefield 2 has shown support for 100-maximal-player battles. The open beta test of the game was started on March 30, 2010.

Player cap is probably higher because the south korean net infrastructure is among the best in the world, they've not only got excellent download/upload speed but quite probably pretty damn low latency too.

EDIT: I've always thought it was a pretty stupid idea putting in artificial limits to player caps as part of the game itself, those kind of limits are very much dependant on numerous factors. For example the UK in general has pretty low latency across the entire country than say the USA has latency across the entire country because of the size of the fricking country's.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I had a lot of fun with Battlefield Heroes during beta. This looks kinda generic, but I have no qualms about trying a nerfed free version of an older Battlefield game I never played.

Well, maybe I do have qualms. The Battlefield 2142 setting looks like it would be much cooler. (badum-ch!)

Frem on
    edited November 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    I had a lot of fun with Battlefield Heroes during beta. This looks kinda generic, but I have no qualms about trying a nerfed free version of an older Battlefield game I never played.

Well, maybe I do have qualms. The Battlefield 2142 setting looks like it would be much cooler. (badum-ch!)

Battlefield 2 was the best in the series to date, 2142 was pretty meh.

There really isn't any other big arse massive map with loads of players in a semi-realistic shooty environment game around. (except for maybe operation flashpoint 2 or arma 2 but meh.. buggy and somewhat flaky)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want BF2143.

yeaahh

They had one coming out?!

Evil Weevil on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want BF2143.

yeaahh

They had one coming out?!

Supposedly in 2010, although they gave the preorder customers refunds with assurance that the game was still coming back in like, June. source

Frem on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think we're confusing a hypothetical 2143 with 1943 here.

But yeah, the PC still hasn't received a version of 1943 over a year after it's supposed to be released. They're supposedly still working on it. Go figure.

Zxerol on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, there's map design too. It's no fun having an overcrowded map where you die every half second, and just making the map bigger might hurt game flow (e.g. how long it takes to get to across the map, to the flag and such.)

Edit: Woah messed up quote tree. Re: Too few players

Darlan on
    edited November 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    Well, there's map design too. It's no fun having an overcrowded map where you die every half second, and just making the map bigger might hurt game flow (e.g. how long it takes to get to across the map, to the flag and such.)

Edit: Woah messed up quote tree. Re: Too few players

Honestly, I'm kind of fed up of ridiculously small maps. I've also played on ridiculously massive maps (see operation flashpoint, arma etc) Battlefield 2 had the perfect balance.. enough room to not feel like it's crowded and not too big so you can go the entire round without coming across another person.

The map design on Battlefield 2 was also excellent, each one outstanding in their own way. And nowhere near the level of "balance" that current map designers seem to obsess over. This obsession with balance makes a lot of current maps dull and boring.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Crysis Wars had large-but-not-too-large maps.

But the gameplay itself, eh, never really got into. I was wondering then, and I'm still wondering now with a sequel on the way, whey they didn't just put those resources into two-player co-op.

Because Crysis co-op would have been phenomenal.

subedii on
    edited November 2010
    All this talk makes me want to reinstall BF2, so I'm doing that right now. Only problem is that I hope PB isn't a bitch this time like it was last time, where it kicked me out of games because "Punkbuster B isn't getting enough packets" or some shit, even though I updated it and put it on my trusted connections list.

Edit: I had it installed but it says my cd key is invalid. I think I have two copies so I can just use the other one and I'll be good to go.

Kadoken on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Battlefield Heroes was an abortion, I'm not holding my breath for this game.

Scosglen on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    2142 was the best Battlefield game, why couldn't they finish 2143? :(

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

Guess they gave the project the cold shoulder.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Oh boy howdy this!

The fucking titans man. The titans. I loved setting up camp inside the enemy's with a buddy and just going to town.

And landing on someone with an escape pod? So satisfying.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited November 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

Oh boy howdy this!

The fucking titans man. The titans. I loved setting up camp inside the enemy's with a buddy and just going to town.

I loved piloting dropships. Need to capture a point? Hop in, we're going places.
    No, not off the side of the map like other geese. I was a GOOD pilot, dammit.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AziraAzira Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This sounds cool. I've been playing BC2 on the PS3 and lovin' it.

Azira on
    wa6qlu.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

Oh boy howdy this!

I loved piloting dropships. Need to capture a point? Hop in, we're going places.

1083447-20090717_super.jpg

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited November 2010

Oh boy howdy this!

Yes, I was the person watching the explosions. :P

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Oh boy howdy this!

The one issue with the Titans was that you could have two guys on defense lock down an entire corridor and make infantry assault useless if you just dropped a supply crate and took turns chucking grenades down the hallway. There wouldn't be enough time to run from the edge of the kill radius, into the hallway, and throw a grenade at them before you'd get exploded.

Garthor on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Oh boy howdy this!

Yes, I was the person watching the explosions. :P

My favorite part about all the Battlefield games is how they lend themselves to

shall we say

creative play

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wasn't expecting too many people to be excited for the F2P Battlefield, but nice for those who have yet to try it.

I should just turn this thread into a 42-BF2 appreciation thread.

Waka Laka on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is not a lot to appreciate about Battlefield 2, really

It had a lot of good ideas, revolutionary ones even, but it was locked behind some of the worst bullshit I've had to deal with in a PC game

I loved Strike at Karkand, though. Best map in the game

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Agreed.

I'm thoroughly addicted to Project Reality for BF2, there are so many amazing moments in it.

So good

Playing as an insurgent is amazing, it feels like proper Geurilla tactics are needed.

Also the Vietnam edition:

Too Bookoo

Yet to try it, but it looks fun.

Waka Laka on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bf42 was the best in the series, they've since gotten progressively worse

this is the only correct opinion and I will hear no others

L|ama on