As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wheat based beers.

RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I like beer. I wouldn't consider myself a connoisseur per say, but I know what I like. I do enjoy Bud Light. It's not my favorite, but I will order it when I want a beer that doesn't cost a lot of money.

But I'm not opposed to spending 10 bucks on a six pack of good beer. And that's pretty much what I'm looking for.

I've recently delved into the realm of wheat based beers. I've had a few and I've enjoyed them all. So far the ones I've had are:

Shock Top
Bud Light Wheat
Blue Moon
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

I think I'm missing one or two, but I can't remember.

I know that what you suggest may not be available in my area, but it could be something that I may come across at a restaurant when I'm traveling.

Cheers!

steam_sig.png
Ryadic on

• Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Some to start with:
    Hoegaarden - The classic wheat beer
    Aventinus Wheat Double Bock - My favourite beer in the world
    Weihenstephaner Vitus - Very solid wheat beer, also checkout; Kristall and Hefe by them
    Edit: Seems those beers will set you back a good $3 - $5 each. So not cheap, but they are amazing.

Aussie beers that you probably won't be able to get:
    Redback
    Beez Kneez
    Bee Sting

noobert on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sierra Nevada Crystal Wheat (some of the seasonal stuff too)
    Fat Tire

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't think Fat Tire is a wheat beer.

If you live near Wisconson, Spotted Cow is very good.

Can only get it there though.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    TheCapnTheCapn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Leinenkugel makes a Sunset Wheat, but again availability may depend on your region and/or awesomeness of your local beer store.

TheCapn on
    Tacopants - a tasty comfortable combination.
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Boulevard Wheat

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Great White's not bad

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Boulevard Wheat is pretty common and is easy drinking.

Franziskaner Hefe is excellent.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    Boulevard Wheat

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Franziskaner Heffe-Weizen is a great one.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you have a Gordon Biersch near you I highly recommend trying their Hefeweizen. They brew it onsite and while I can't speak to the quality of any other one, the one in Myrtle Beach is great. It's light and bright and flavorful... My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

freakish light on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Where are you located? Speakeasy makes a great wheat beer (White Lightning), but it's gonna be close to impossible to find if you're not in the Bay Area.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Harpoon UFO

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    legallytiredlegallytired Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think some of the Unibroue products are available in the States. Those two are wheat-based :

-La Blanche de Chambly (White)
    -L'Éphémère (Apple, raspberry or blackcurrant flavored)

legallytired on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Franziskaner Heffe-Weizen is a great one.

Seconded. So far, my favorite wheat beer.

I suggest going through BeerAdvocate's listings for the various wheat varieties (A few I've had and and remember off the top of my head are sub-listed):

Each page has a description of the style as well as a list of brews (ordered by # of reviews). The brews are given separate scores based on user reviews and on staff reviews. There's a link right under the description on each page to the top rated brews.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What do you like about the wheat beers? There's a lot of good advice on what to look for. But there may be some non-wheat beers out there that have a similar flavor profile to what you like. Like a traditional dunkelweizen or a belgian dubbel or trippel.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    schöfferhofer is another really good german hefeweizen

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I dunno if you can get it in the US but Waterloo Wheat is delicious (as is Waterloo Dark, even if you aren't into dark beers)

Wezoin on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Allagash White.

NotYou on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wit beers are some of my favorite Wheat beers, I recommend Mothership Wit by the Fat Tire folks, and delirium tremens, which is a tad expensive, by one of my top beers.

blakfeld on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sam Adams made an amazing Blueberry Wit. Other than that, I'm not much of a wit/wheat fan... but I did love that beer.

A lot of people like the Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    NotYou wrote: »
    Allagash White.

Allagash is a great brewery. I wish they were able to ship a bit more liberally.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    blakfeld wrote: »
    Wit beers are some of my favorite Wheat beers, I recommend Mothership Wit by the Fat Tire folks, and delirium tremens, which is a tad expensive, by one of my top beers.

Delirium Tremens isn't a wheat beer, however, you are correct that it is a delicious beer.

If the OP posts his location then suggestions can be narrowed down to stuff available locally.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Harpoon UFO

This is a great beer.

Hrm... may have to pick up a pack tomorrow. The brewery is almost within walking distance. ;-)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm a fan of Magic Hat's Circus Boy

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    jthmjthm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think some of the Unibroue products are available in the States. Those two are wheat-based :

-La Blanche de Chambly (White)
    -L'Éphémère (Apple, raspberry or blackcurrant flavored)

I was dropping in here specifically to recommend Blanche de Chambly. It's one of the lightest, most refreshing wheats I've had.

jthm on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    NotYou wrote: »
    Allagash White.

Allagash is a great brewery. I wish they were able to ship a bit more liberally.

I bought a 4 pack yesterday from a liquor store a block from my house. Amazing. They rarely have it though.

NotYou on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Boulevard is our hometown beer, and is available anywhere around here. It is deeeeelicious. I'm not a huge beer drinker, usually only at restaurants, but I have grown to love Boulevard.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm not a big wheat beer drinker, but when I do go for a wheat beer I choose either the previously mentioned Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat or Tommyknocker's Jack Whacker.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fat tire is not a wheat beer, but they have a wheat beer called "Sunshine". It's pretty good.

RadicalTurnip on
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    God I love living 10 minutes from the German border and 10 minutes from the Belgium border. So many great choices for beer. I kidnapp my wife once a month to drive into Brussels and hit up all the little beer shops to buy little known beers.
    Hoegaarden is a great belgian wheat beer. But if I could recommend one thing. Don't just stick with wheat beers. Branch out and try all the different kinds. I love Westmalle Dubble! Try any Trappist beer you can. They are the ones with a little seal on the labels. They are made in monasteries by monks (or atleast monks play a part in the brewing)!
    Also it's been mentioned already, but if you can, buy a bottle of Delirium Tremens! I have 7 bottles in my cellar right now! Not sure how expensive they are in the states. I can get a 750ml bottle for 8-9 Euros. I did buy a glass at a Roy's Resteraunt in vegas and it cost me 11 bucks :(
    Enjoy beer man! Get away from Bud unless its the real shit from the Czech Republic :winky:

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    GyrussGyruss Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would recommend Paulaner Hefeweizen as a great wheat beer. Everyone else's suggestions so far are really good, too.

Gyruss on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blanche de Bruxelles

It's similar to Hoegaarden or Allagash White.

Also, go to a pub with lots of taps and try any local witbiers, wheat beers, belgian whites or hefe/dunkelweizens. Wheat beers spoil a bit quicker than "bigger" beers so you really benefit from sourcing it closer to you and on tap.

Since we're enterring fall you might have fewer seasonal wheat options; you're more likely to find maarzens, or stronger, darker, or more bitter beers as seasonals.

Djeet on
  • Options
    RHerms716RHerms716 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I'm not sure if its limited to the Chicago area, but it is delicious. Probably my favorite.

RHerms716 on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jesus. I was not expecting so many recommendations. I'm thinking most of what is suggested I can't find in my area, but I will certainly try. I've got a nice list written down so I'm going to check a few stores out either tonight or tomorrow.

Alternatively, I could just give you guys my address and you could mail me some.

No?

:(

In all seriousness, I thank everyone. I really didn't expect this. A pleasant surprise.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    blakfeld wrote: »

Delirium Tremens isn't a wheat beer, however, you are correct that it is a delicious beer.

If the OP posts his location then suggestions can be narrowed down to stuff available locally.

Oh shit, really? Well damn. Either way, try it.

As far as wheat beers go, the other "Moon" beers are all pretty good, especially Pale Moon, but they're all just variations of the Blue Moon recipie, but I know I tend to perfer Pale Moon over Blue Moon

I had a Pyramid Hefe Weizen last night that I would recommend, although it was a little blander than I perfer

blakfeld on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    One other one to look for. Sun Ray Wheat from Terrapin. I haven't actually had that one, but I've had several other Terrapin beers and they're all awesome, so I see no reason Sun Ray Wheat would be any different.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would suggest KLB Raspberry Wheat. I love it.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    chknsandwichchknsandwich Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would recommned "classic" wheat beers from German brewers such as Hacker-Pschorr and Paulaner. Flying Dog makes a nice one too.

chknsandwich on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Franziskaner Hefe-Weizen is a great one.

jackisreal on
  • Options
    DjanvkDjanvk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hefe-Weizen styles of wheat beer are great ^^^^ is one of the good ones.

Also I like 312 from Goose Island out of Chicago.

And Hefe-Weizen basically means with the wheat in it still. It comes out cloudy and some of them you actually have to roll to get the wheat sediment mixed in with the beer. Always a good lemon with wheats adds to them.

enjoy

Djanvk on