As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Death Knights] I wish I could Death Grip my ottoman

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    forty wrote: »
    If the Death's Embrace glyph isn't fixed in the patch tomorrow, I'm going to be pissed. If the patch isn't tomorrow, I'm going to be mega pissed.

I think a whole lot of people are going to be mega pissed.

I know my raid has firelands scheduled on our calendar for tomorrow

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ooh yes! My day off tomorrow...

Shawnasee on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    If the Death's Embrace glyph isn't fixed in the patch tomorrow, I'm going to be pissed. If the patch isn't tomorrow, I'm going to be mega pissed.

I think a whole lot of people are going to be mega pissed.

I know my raid has firelands scheduled on our calendar for tomorrow
    Good luck trying to raid tomorrow.

forty on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ugh. I hate raiding on patch days. I'm excited to get tier pieces for my dk easily. Now to get tank pieces to speed up jp collection, or get dps peieces because I enjoy that more....

belligerent on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, my guild has a raid scheduled tomorrow (or whenever 4.2 does hit), but I know from prior experience that it's just going to be an exercise in frustration. The instance server will be fucked, people will be randomly lagging/disconnecting, addons will be fucked. It'll probably just be 2-3 hours spent maybe killing some trash.

forty on
    edited June 2011
    Ok, I forget...was Death Strike being nerfed?

I was hitting 15k heals on it and now I am hitting 7k heals.

Unfortunately I didn't notice this until I was beating on that big shark (Tank) in Tol Barad.

Shawnasee on
    edited June 2011
    It's not fixed. I am pissed.

forty on
    edited June 2011
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    Ok, I forget...was Death Strike being nerfed?

I was hitting 15k heals on it and now I am hitting 7k heals.

Unfortunately I didn't notice this until I was beating on that big shark (Tank) in Tol Barad.
    Blood presence (i.e., blood tank spec, generally speaking) death strikes shouldn't have been touched. Frost/Unholy presence death strikes were nerfed by ~50% if you had been using the Glyph of Dark Succor since they changed how it worked.

I'm going to assume you were doing this in Frost/Unholy spec, since you probably don't have 200k health when soloing. If you did happen to be blood, then something is messed up.

forty on
    edited June 2011
    I was in Unholy presence...and that's dishearening news.
    Anyone else finding this hard to adjust to?

edit: what was the change to the glyph?

Shawnasee on
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Unglyphed DS heals for minimum 7% of your maximum health.

Old Glyph: Death strike heals you for minimum 15% of your maximum health in frost/unholy presence.

New Glyph: Your next death strike within 15 seconds will heal for 20% of your maximum health when killing a mob/player that yields experience/honour

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    edited June 2011
    In short, the new DS glyph is like a shitty version of Victory Rush.

Ugh. As a DK it's so irritating trying to wrangle up mobs that spawn 5 at a time and 30 yards apart -- especially when this can happen before the cooldown on D&D is up from the last spawn. The class is just not well equipped for this.

forty on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I'm not digging this...this is a pretty big change to playstyle...going to take some getting used to.

Shawnasee on
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ha, I wonder how long it will take for ppl to start complaining about this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBd6cJREFvA&feature=player_embedded

Considering that trash is only on a 2hr repsawn? He could be doing this all day long for the BoEs and money :)

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Queue incoming immune to snares/runs faster than players nerf.

Poketpixie on
    edited July 2011
    I was trying to think of another class that could do it, but any other class is going to run into mana issues. Warlocks might get away with doing it for a while, but his big advantage comes from having pestilance to spread the dots to all creatures. I'm actually surprised that warlocks can't do something like pestilance already.. (or maybe they can, I haven't been one since vanilla).

Klatu on
    edited July 2011
    Not pestilance, howling blast. Pestilence requires melee range and he would get raped.

Howling blast with the range increaser is something like 40 yards.

Edit on a side note, the affliction warlock has Jinx, which I think is something similar?

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    Ah, it's been a while since I bothered logging on my DK.. Warrior tanking is more fun, forgot about pest short range.

Never went frost on my dk, didn't realise HB had such a long range.. interesting. That'd explain the constant dot effect though, cause it applies icy touch too.. correct?

Klatu on
    edited July 2011
    With the glyph yea, and its the frost fever that has the slowing component (talented).

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jinx only spreads the Elements curse, which is a non damaging debuff.

Affliction Locks have Soul Swap, but swapping DoTs without removing the DoTs off the main target has a 30 second cooldown, via the Glyph.

Also, Blizzard nerfed the droprates in the instance with a hotfix sortly after that video was made. Probably not worth it now.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jinx only spreads the Elements curse, which is a non damaging debuff.

Affliction Locks have Soul Swap, but swapping DoTs without removing the DoTs off the main target has a 30 second cooldown, via the Glyph.

Also, Blizzard nerfed the droprates in the instance with a hotfix sortly after that video was made. Probably not worth it now.

to the point where it is now not worth it for anyone

This makes our raid sad

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited July 2011
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Not pestilance, howling blast. Pestilence requires melee range and he would get raped.

Howling blast with the range increaser is something like 40 yards.

Edit on a side note, the affliction warlock has Jinx, which I think is something similar?
    30 yards.

And, as I predicted last Tuesday, Firelands trash drop rates were nerfed, so we're back to trash just feeling awful and useless. All is right with the world (of Warcraft).

forty on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So has anyone DK tanked bethtilac yet? She seems to kick my ass, although it might be my raid

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
    edited July 2011
    Yep, I tanked her last week.

I went upstairs. I had to use all my cooldowns all the time basically, she hits like a truck (about 60k melee + that explosion thing for 20k or so). I would vampiric blood first thing, then pop AMS to absorb an explosion once VB wore off, then bone shield, then TB trinket after that wore off, then DRW. If things got hairy I'd use LB + DC.

IBF was saved for if the healer fell down, or towards the end of the fight when her damage stacks were high.

With widow's kiss make sure the other tank is taunting as soon as you get it, DKs get destroyed by a healing reduction debuff.

On our actual kill though, I went frost dps, but I don't think it was changing the tank that made the difference, but that a frost DK on the spiderlings is insane, and I do one of the highest dps in our team anyway.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What? I have no problems with Beth as a DK. I only use IBF on the second time up because the healer isn't as reliable, and hey, why not? Save some mana for phase 2. Otherwise I crush her. I might use Vamp Blood from time to time because again, why not, but I have no issues.

Are you mastery or avoidance?

Topia on
    edited July 2011
    Ugh. Unholy is such a pain/kinda sucky for all these target switching/add fights in Firelands.

forty on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    By tanking beth'tilac I mean in the phase two.

I am also mastery geared mainly, I do have 21 parry and 13 dodge though

heres my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/haomarush/Goregush/simple

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
    edited July 2011
    I am confused cause you're asking about tanking and your armory shows dps gear, with a little pvp gear sprinkled in.

Never fought a beth so maybe tanking her in phase two is going over my head?

Shawnasee on
  • Boxcutter3005Boxcutter3005 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've had no problem with Beth in phase 2 and im mastery heavy with about 33% total avoidance. I think key to successful kills really is making the most out of your cooldowns, and either not blowing them too early, or too late.

In the two kills ive been tanking, ive had her first in phase 2. I try to stack a bloodshield while i have widows kiss cause i have nothing better to do. Also when I get ready to take her again, ill pop DRW before i taunt her off, then maybe IBF after it fades depending on how long it looks til she's killed.

On a side note, I got to tank Baleroc today, topped the healing meters :). Didnt get the kill, but its crazy how much your DS starts healing for and how big the bloodshield gets later in the fight. We kept hitting the enrage, so maybe we're not ready yet, but I was getting 250k self heals and 320k bloodshields.

Boxcutter3005 on
    edited July 2011
    By tanking beth'tilac I mean in the phase two.

I am also mastery geared mainly, I do have 21 parry and 13 dodge though

heres my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/haomarush/Goregush/simple

A few issues...

Your Dodge and Parry need to be balanced a lot more, and you could have your mastery a lot better. On your dodge/parry pieces start reforging into mastery.

You have a really odd (bad) choice for your meta gem, and the 365 cape you get from the first firelands quest line (the thrall love quest) is better than the honor cape. On your bracers reforge expertise into mastery, not dodge. Never reforge out of dodge unless someone your dodge rating (not %) goes above parry. Any time you can, reforge a threat stat (hit/expertise) into mastery, until you have 19 or 20 mastery (so, the bile-o-tron ring, and the cloak should you have deleted the 365 one already). Remember that 19.01 is the same as 19.99 for mastery, so keep it as low in either integer as you can.

For Parry/mastery gear, take some parry off and toss it into dodge, you need to balance the rating, and right now you're almost 700 rating apart (parry being the high stat obviously).

Gems for you are weird, I'm not too sure what to do after you fix the reforging issues, BUT, if you can reforge your mastery to about that (at least 19, probably don't need to go up to 20) you can gem 100% stam (solid ocean sapphires) for all your blue and prismatic slots. For yellow slots gem dodge/stam in your yellows, and parry/stam in your reds. If your mastery isn't quite up to par to parry/mastery (you'll probably have to do this) in your reds. Basically balance your gems to get dodge as close to parry as you can while keeping your mastery at 19.01 (or as close to it as you can without going to 18.xx. If you have to stay in the 18's for now to get dodge withing 200 rating [you want dodge and parry close to withing 200 rating] remember to bring it to low 18.xx).

Also get the dodge/stam leg enchant, and don't forget to reforge your weapon.

Here's me to look at.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/azjolnerub/Akinos/simple

Topia on
    edited July 2011
    FYI, the integer thing is false. The display won't change, but the calculation that calculates how big the blood shield is is based on your rating.

i.e. BloodShieldPercent = MasteryRating * 6.25 / 100

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    FYI, the integer thing is false. The display won't change, but the calculation that calculates how big the blood shield is is based on your rating.

i.e. BloodShieldPercent = MasteryRating * 6.25 / 100

oh my god, this changes everything. I have to work much less hard at setting my stats!

Topia on
    edited July 2011
    Mastery would be really shitty if it only went in discrete chunks every ~180 rating or so. It's not like players aren't already dancing around hit/expertise caps or trying to balance dodge and parry.

forty on
    edited July 2011
    Anyone here stack avoidance and have used it in raids? I've been stacking mastery ever since 4.0.1, and I've reforged a few times to see what numbers I can get, but I'm just not happy with losing so much mastery just to get the avoidance to the maximum. The tradeoff is around 3-4% more total avoidance, but then i wouold go from a 126% bloodshield to a 94% bloodshield, which is hard for me to stomach. Also how do you guys like to gem? Usually I take mastery and stam gems.

Boxcutter3005 on
    edited July 2011
    I really don't see any point to gearing for highest avoidance as a DK. DKs are already the spikiest tank, and doing that would just make your incoming damage even more erratic and harder to heal properly.

Edit: The only exception would be if you were doing it as a gimmick setup for tanking some specific fight where avoidance specifically works to avoid some boss mechanic, like reducing the rate that Halfus' mortal strike stacks up on you or something. But that doesn't seem like a realistic approach to be switching your gearing around like that for certain bosses.

forty on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    4.1, EJ was saying you either stacked Avoidance OR Mastery; trying to get both ended with mediocre results all around. Mastery stacking took more damage over time, iirc, but the incoming damage was MUCH smoother/not as spiky.

Not sure if that's changed with 4.2 gear levels.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited July 2011
    Well, EJ is looking at it from an academic, straight damage taken over a long time perspective, not the more valuable "what is this tank's health bar actually going to do in a real encounter" one in those simulations.

forty on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Stacking avoidance doesn't mean your mastery isn't there anymore, though. It's still pretty effective if you have even a token amount of mastery (something I think EJ glossed over). I currently heal for ~10k with ~14k shield, stacking mastery. If I stack avoidance, I typically drop down to a 10k shield.

A lot of it depends on your playstyle, your healer's awareness, and your skill at managing your runes. In the end, I think stacking avoidance is viable, but stacking Mastery is just ... well, simpler.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited July 2011
    Well, yeah, the limitations of itemization and reforging mean you're simply unable to swing the pendulum that far either way, but I just find it odd that any raid tank would go with a play style of "I want to rely on RNG slightly more."

forty on
    Yeah, I prefer the mastery in the end. Every time i reforge and gem for the avoidance, I end up unhappy with numbers and redo everything back to my mastery stacking, feels like im in more control

You know what's fucking great? How all the god damn VP gear for plate DPS classes has crit on it, which is the shittiest stat for any of the DK DPS specs. And then the DPS T12 helm and shoulders are some of the best itemized pieces (but obviously the hardest to get) while the chest, which can be picked up with VP, is loaded with crit and sucks. Thanks guys!

This discussion has been closed.