As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Slow, realistic tactical shooter?

eobeteobet 8-bit childhoodSwedenRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
I'm craving for a fix in this genre... unfortunately, I've only ever played one game that fits the bill, and that was SWAT 3. Now, do I have to go to my parents' house and dig through the garage to play a game like that again, or has there been something new released that I've missed?

I haven't kept up to date, but SWAT 4 was a horrible, buggy mess that also did away with some of the cool tactical options, and I can't remember exactly why I stopped playing Rogue Spear/Raven Shield because the waypoint planning of each mission was a very nice touch... poor maps, poor AI maybe?

Anyway, keyword here is slow. I want a game where running means that you're dead within 2 seconds.

EDIT: I remember playing the early Ghost Recon games as well, but they were simply too military, open battle field type, focused... if that makes sense (probably nothing in my post does, but perhaps someone will get it). ;)

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
eobet on

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I haven't played it but ARMA 2 is a tactical shooter that tries very hard to be realistic from what my friends tell me, can't comment on how buggy or if it's to the depth you want.

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    sirchrissypoosirchrissypoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Most of the old PC Rainbow Six games were like that. Very much about meticulously planning every move and executing them very slowly and carefully.

I've heard America's Army is supposed to be realistic, though I never played it.

I, too, would be interested in any console shooters that fit the OP's description, since I'm not much of a PC gamer anymore.

sirchrissypoo on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hidden & Dangerous 2 is a pretty good tactical shooter that's very slow paced and difficult.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Have you tried Tom Clancy's HAWKs? It's supposed to be this tactical third person game that plays out as a RTS, or something.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Have you tried Tom Clancy's HAWKs? It's supposed to be this tactical third person game that plays out as a RTS, or something.

Uh, isn't that a game where you fly fighter planes?

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I dunno why I didn't think of it before, but the Splinter Cell series is a pretty good slow, realistic third person shooter that definitely punishes run-and-gun type of gameplay. Sure, you can just run through and shoot everyone, but the game will fight you every step of the way, and you will die. A lot.

So yeah, the Splinter Cell series, up until the most recent game at least.

sirchrissypoo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I dunno why I didn't think of it before, but the Splinter Cell series is a pretty good slow, realistic third person shooter that definitely punishes run-and-gun type of gameplay. Sure, you can just run through and shoot everyone, but the game will fight you every step of the way, and you will die. A lot.

Stealth games != tactical shooters

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

Stealth games != tactical shooters

Oh yeah, I feel kinda dumb for that now. But still, if you haven't played any of the Splinter Cell games before, you should.

sirchrissypoo on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have played Splinter Cell and I enjoyed it very much... I don't even think you were able to run in the first one, right? That was just fabulous. :)

But yeah, not really a tactical shooter.

As for the other recommendations, Arma 2, Hidden & Dangerous 2 and so on... again, too "military"... damn, that's a stupid word to use...

Hmm... perhaps I should refine it as slow, realistic, close quarters tactical shooter!

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hear wanted weapons of fate might fit the bill if you can forgive its absurdly short length. I would also recommened the SWAT4 expansion pack and fan fixes.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe give Frozen Synapse a shot.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hear wanted weapons of fate might fit the bill if you can forgive its absurdly short length. I would also recommened the SWAT4 expansion pack and fan fixes.

He wants a slow realistic tactical shooter. Wanted is about curving bullets as some sort of superhero assassin...

I think on consoles, the slowest close quarters tactical shooter you're gonna find is Rainbow Six Vegas, if you don't mind regenerating health.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You could always hit GoG up for the original Rainbow Six.

It pretty much fits the bill.

Drake on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    SWAT 3 and 4.

Doesn't get any more close quarters than a highway sniper's bathroom.

Echo on
  • Options
    PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising was pretty realistic. Higher difficulties = less HUD information / no mini-map etc. It's also quite unforgiving if you go charging into battle on any difficulty.

I really need to go back and give it a proper playthrough, come to think of it. I remember getting past the first level and then getting intimidated by the difficulty, seeing as my usual wargame playstyle is "headless chicken with a revolver".

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it is yeah.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you're worried about swat 4 being buggy, I haven't had any problems with the gold version. Plus new guns (paintball gun that shoots pepper balls as non-lethal), new options (non-lethal pistol whipping to force compliance, yes you got docked if you pistol whipped suspects after they complied), and of course new missions for the expansion.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There used to be an amazing mod for Half-life called Hostile Intent. It was a tactical multiplayer counter-terrorism shooter, and it featured no HUD, shooting only from iron sights, and realistic movement pace.

Supposedly they're working on a sequel, but I haven't heard anything about it in forever.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    s_86 wrote: »
    I was just reading this thread on another forum. It sounds exactly like what you are describing.
    Project Reality BF2 Mod
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=166248

But I havn't played it or anything, so don't take my word for it.

I think that's too outdoorsy and open for him, he said he wanted close quarters combat.

I honestly can't think of anything like what you're looking for, eobet, sorry. It doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as the more run and gun games like Modern Warfare 2, etc.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There haven't been any realistic CQB games in a good while. SWAT 4 was the last one and that was a good 5 years ago now. Excellent game of the genre and you should try it again but I haven't seem it for sale anywhere in a long time and it isn't on Steam.

Rainbow 6 Vegas series is sorta newer but way more arcadey in a sense compared to its origins. You will need some quick reflexes and forget about realism here and there.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it is yeah.

I think he was probably thinking about GRAW...which isn't really all that slow or tactical. Not even the PC version

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    eobet wrote: »
    I have played Splinter Cell and I enjoyed it very much... I don't even think you were able to run in the first one, right? That was just fabulous. :)

You could totally run in the first Splinter Cell, but the "CACHUNKACHUNKACHUNKACHUNK" noise your footsteps made would alert everybody within a half mile to your presence. Sam Fisher might be a superspying, death-dealing, modern day techno-ninja, but the dude runs like a goddamn horse.
    Darmak wrote: »
    I honestly can't think of anything like what you're looking for, eobet, sorry. It doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as the more run and gun games like Modern Warfare 2, etc.

I heard that Rainbow Six Vegas is basically Gears of War but in Vegas. Weren't all of the R6 fans complaining when it released because it had been dumbed down so much in comparison to earlier games in the series?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I love the Rainbow Six Vegas games - they are absolutely terrific if you play on Hard mode. Any little mistake and you're donzo.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I heard that Rainbow Six Vegas is basically Gears of War but in Vegas. Weren't all of the R6 fans complaining when it released because it had been dumbed down so much in comparison to earlier games in the series?

It was kinda dumbed down, yea. The planning stage was eliminated, and you had regenerating health, and the cover system was somewhat similar to Gears of War. Instead of ordering an entire team of 8, you were down to a team of 3. And you could keep them alive indefinitely by sticking a needle in their arm. And of course, the somewhat realistic scenarios of taking down an embassy or some huts in the Congo were replaced by the utter lunacy of hundreds and hundreds of terrorists invading Las Vegas.

But if you got past all that, it was still fun. The accessory customization for guns was really nice.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That sounds sexy. RB6V is cheap now right?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Maybe give Frozen Synapse a shot.

Yeah, I saw that... I loved Laser Squad Nemesis and this looks very interesting, but I think the abstract theme of it all has been taken a bit too far for anyone to be able to immerse themselves or get into some kind of atmospheric mood.

There used to be an amazing mod for Half-life called Hostile Intent. It was a tactical multiplayer counter-terrorism shooter, and it featured no HUD, shooting only from iron sights, and realistic movement pace.

Supposedly they're working on a sequel, but I haven't heard anything about it in forever.

Very interesting! I think I found their site and I'm bookmarking it for future reference. Thanks!
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, I had a sneaking suspicion. I found a similar thread on the Arma 2 forums, and they basically came to the same conclusion...
    joshgotro wrote: »

...and that's probably the reason why. :P

eobet on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising was pretty realistic. Higher difficulties = less HUD information / no mini-map etc. It's also quite unforgiving if you go charging into battle on any difficulty.

I really need to go back and give it a proper playthrough, come to think of it. I remember getting past the first level and then getting intimidated by the difficulty, seeing as my usual wargame playstyle is "headless chicken with a revolver".

It was realistic, sometimes, but it wasn't actually very good. You can really, really feel the tiny entity limit in later missions and it becomes incredibly, incredibly obvious that things are getting culled and then spawned as you go and it always keeps things feeling pretty empty and strange feeling. It also just doesn't work for the bigger battles.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I think you can pick up both of them for the 360 for under $20 together as long as you don't mind used. And they're a lot of fun and if you play it on Realistic...oof. No margin for error whatsoever. Every breach has to be perfectly planned. Hell, even on the easier difficulties, some parts of R6V2 will make you want to tear your hair out.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Basically you're not going to find a new game in the style you're looking for. What series that have new incarnations (Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon) have basically become a lot more arcadey. There's ArmA, but that's more an infantry simulator and almost never takes place in close quarters environments.

What's surprising to me isn't that big budget companies won't touch the concept with a 10 foot pole. But I can't understand why a smaller or indie budget team hasn't tackled it yet. There's a definite demand for that style of game, and goodness knows there are plenty of other styles of crappy FPS's done by small teams these days.

At the least if it were done right, it'd probably be more well received than something like Blacklight: Tango Down.

EDIT: Also, I don't get the op's hate for SWAT 4, I thought that was awesome. Certainly never had any bug issues with it that I can remember, it seemed pretty well polished and stable.

subedii on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, America's Army 3, while at times fast paced and somewhat arcady, can be surprisingly slow and tense when inside and playing cat and mouse with the opposing team. You can run and gun but that usually gets you killed, you gotta use cover and work with your teammates to really do well. Of course it's online only but for the price it's worth checking out.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    chasm wrote: »

I think you can pick up both of them for the 360 for under $20 together as long as you don't mind used. And they're a lot of fun and if you play it on Realistic...oof. No margin for error whatsoever. Every breach has to be perfectly planned. Hell, even on the easier difficulties, some parts of R6V2 will make you want to tear your hair out.

The last Rainbow 6 game I played was Lockdown. I remember loving that game.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The original Rainbow Six is really good, aside from occasionally asinine behavior from the AI. A good plan really mitigates those moments. And it's almost all interior and close quarters. The planning stage is a great game in itself, but if it isn't your thing, then there are premade plans that you can use. Wrap all that up in a nice variety in objectives and you have a pretty classic game. One I think I'm about to reinstall.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    What's surprising to me isn't that big budget companies won't touch the concept with a 10 foot pole. But I can't understand why a smaller or indie budget team hasn't tackled it yet. There's a definite demand for that style of game, and goodness knows there are plenty of other styles of crappy FPS's done by small teams these days.

I remember getting an X-com (Laser Squad Nemesis or Frozen Synapse) vibe when playing SWAT 3 and Rogue Spear, and imagine an indie making a small close quarters arena battle game, with randomized maps, pre-match waypoint planning and weapons outfitting, and then when the match starts, you see the waypoints where you're supposed to go, have to open doors and hide behind cover, and the rooms and walls are fully destructible! You can't run, you can't jump. If you fire anything more than short, controlled bursts, everyone on the other team can see you though the walls. I think it would be awesome.

Damnit, I was supposed to do iOS development, but I want to make that game now!
    subedii wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, I don't get the op's hate for SWAT 4, I thought that was awesome. Certainly never had any bug issues with it that I can remember, it seemed pretty well polished and stable.

Hmm... I tried to Google my old forum posts on Ubi Softs forums, which I could have sworn was the publisher for SWAT 4, but I can't find any evidence of that now... so maybe my memory is clouded...

The problems were essentially these: Body parts could poke through doors, stairs and even walls. Worse, weapons could poke through walls and even fire! The camera position for your first person view did not correspond to the camera position for your 3rd person view model, so you could sit behind a table and appear fully covered to others, while in fact from your viewpoint you were able to see what was going on. The whole game was based on a very, veeeery early version of the Unreal Engine (I knew the actual build number, and it wasn't even half of what the current patch level of UT2k4 had at the time), and I believe they used this to claim that they were never going to be able to fix it.

I forget many things, but I remember that multi-player was just pure frustration when it was released.

eobet on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SWAT 4 was actually published by Sierra.

Well clipping was an issue with pretty much every FPS I can remember back in that era (heck, there are FPS's that still do that), I wouldn't really consider that a bug as such. The real impact on gameplay was pretty negligible.

The head-placement issue, yeah I think that might have been there.

And co-op worked fine for me. Still does, one of the surprising things about SWAT 4 is that there are still people playing it today. Well, maybe not so surprising considering that there's a big dearth of games in that style.

Unless you're talking about competitive multiplayer, which is a case where it could have actually been a lot better but the grenades and subsequent point-scoring system pretty much ruined it for Barricade Suspects. I still remember having tonnes of fun with VIP escort though, that mode was awesome when people were working together.

subedii on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Argh, I can't believe you people. The game you're looking for is most likely Armed Assault 2. I haven't played HEAPS of Armed Assault but I played the absolut shit out of the original Operation Flashpoint, incidently one of the best games of all time, which was made by the people who went on to make the Armed Assault games.

I played The first ArmA a little and it was a more modern version of Op Flashpoint and have heard that ArmA2 is similarly more up to date. These are exactly what you're asking for.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Argh, I can't believe you people. The game you're looking for is most likely Armed Assault 2. I haven't played HEAPS of Armed Assault but I played the absolut shit out of the original Operation Flashpoint, incidently one of the best games of all time, which was made by the people who went on to make the Armed Assault games.

I played The first ArmA a little and it was a more modern version of Op Flashpoint and have heard that ArmA2 is similarly more up to date. These are exactly what you're asking for.

i said arma 2 up there, he looked at it and said it was "too military"

which i can understand

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well then he's excluding exactly what he asked for.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2010

He wants a game that's only close quarters combat.

I don't think ArmA 2 is only close quarters combat.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    And Rainbow Six is nothing but CQB, but it seems like everyone talks about nothing but Vegas. Really, the first two games in the series are benchmark tactical shooters focusing on CQB. SWAT 3 and 4 and the first two Rainbow Six games are about the best you'll find for the more low intesity/razor tension CQB tactical shooters that you are looking for, Eobert.

Drake on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    And Rainbow Six is nothing but CQB, but it seems like everyone talks about nothing but Vegas. Really, the first two games in the series are benchmark tactical shooters focusing on CQB. SWAT 3 and 4 and the first two Rainbow Six games are about the best you'll find for the more low intesity/razor tension CQB tactical shooters that you are looking for, Eobert.

And those games are about a decade or more old now.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png