As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mortal Kombat Vs. Street Fighter (Want to see Ryu rip Johnny Cage's Head off?)

KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels StupendousRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
mk-vs-sf-project-copy.jpg
Street Fighter, commonly abbreviated as SF, is a series of fighting games developed in Japan in which the players pit the video games' competitive fighters from around the world, each with his or her own unique fighting style, against one another.

Mortal Kombat, commonly abbreviated MK, is a series of fighting games created by Ed Boon and John Tobias. The series is especially noted for its realistic digitized sprites (which differentiated it from its contemporaries' hand-drawn sprites), and its high levels of blood and gore, including, most notably, its graphic Fatalities—finishing moves, requiring a sequence of buttons to perform

Yeah, who wants to see this? I think it would've been thought about already. Their both notable fighting games.

A problem I've heard is that the styles of the games would not work together. I know Mortal Kombat isn't very known for its robust fighting, its more known for its blood and gore. I've also heard that Capcom would not pick up a project such as this because letting Street Fighter characters rip each others' heads off is not their style.

Another problem I see is which style of graphics to use, anime-ish 3d or more realistic 3d (From what I've seen with Mortal Kombat 9)

However I would really, really like to see this. I think it would be a lot of fun.

(Also I'm not expecting a huge amount of people seeing this, its just a fun thought.
Also, do not make a joke about going to Mugen to see this. Oh and sorry for the big ass picture, couldn't really find another one with the same amount of awesome)
P.S. I can't change the title, to (Do you want to see Ryu rip Johnny Cage's Head off) so people don't think this is real.

Kadoken on

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think this will happen eventually. Just, not for like another seven years at least.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I used to say this would never happen, but we already gotten DC vs. Mortal Kombat, and now we're getting Tekken vs. Street Fighter, so it's not outside the realm of possiblities.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Street Fighter and Tekken are thematically similar though. Mortal Kombat isn't.

No, I don't want to see MKvsSF. We would just get another watered down DCvsMK this time using a 2.5D engine ala SFIV or the new MK.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Do you have a problem with the new MK 9? What exactly do you mean "Watered down"?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Do you have a problem with the new MK 9? What exactly do you mean "Watered down"?

Watered down...as in not violent just like MKvsDC.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    vegas-stevenvegas-steven Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    who actually owns mortal kombat? it was midway, i guess its still them, right?

the way i see it, the official game would probably only happen when someone is pretty out of money.
    thats usually when these things happen.

otherwise, they have no reason to issue such a mash-up as both are profitable and healthy brands making money on their own.

vegas-steven on
    Las Vegas Youtube page with lots of useless videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/vegassteven
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Warner Bros. owns Mortal Kombat now and are publishing the new game.

Peewi on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I LOVE what they're doing with the new MK.

When I was talking abut "watered down" I was referring to Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. MKvsDC didn't feel like MK to me. It didn't have a lot of the things that make Mortal Kombat what it is. The extreme violence is part of it, definitely, but more than that I feel like MK games are love letters to fans filled to the brim with nods to earlier games in the series and hidden knickknacks under every digital stone. MKvsDC had none of that. It felt so empty to me.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    vegas-stevenvegas-steven Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

Warner Bros. owns Mortal Kombat now and are publishing the new game.

Well, we all know how well warner does with video games and interactive media.

isnt that right atari and AOL?

*cue the sound of crickets.

vegas-steven on
    Las Vegas Youtube page with lots of useless videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/vegassteven
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, would you guys rather have two games with their own styles, or one game which mixes both. The characters from respective videogames get to keep their artistic style, I.E. the anime style for SF, but it would try to update the combat.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    JakesullyJakesully Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »

I LOVE what they're doing with the new MK.

When I was talking abut "watered down" I was referring to Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. MKvsDC didn't feel like MK to me. It didn't have a lot of the things that make Mortal Kombat what it is. The extreme violence is part of it, definitely, but more than that I feel like MK games are love letters to fans filled to the brim with nods to earlier games in the series and hidden knickknacks under every digital stone. MKvsDC had none of that. It felt so empty to me.

Well said my friend. So true. New MK is gonna rule ass.

Jakesully on
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wasn't there a "create your own 2d fighting game" tool released a while back. I remember seeing youtube vids of Homer Simpson fighting Peter Griffin on it . I assume you could just do it in that. Think it was called Mugen.

As for an official release, the Street Fighter franchise is on a high right now so I don't see why they would want to and Mortal Kombat is still reeling from the disappointing DC collaboration so I doubt they would be up for it either. If it happens, it will not be for a while me thinks.

edit: here we go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_796060&v=1KzEj4VIvLc&feature=iv

Mc zany on