As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7 and Printer Drivers

ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
Hey, all - Google is being monumentally unhelpful on this one, so maybe y'all can help.

I've got a laptop running Windows 7.

Whenever I want to add a printer, it forces me to choose a printer from the list, instead of automatically selecting the proper driver and installing it. As in, I'm installing a Sharp MX-2600N using PCL 6, and it gives me a list of manufacturers starting with A, and with only a select list of printers for each manufacturer. I have to redownload all the printer drivers available from MS every time, which takes forever. It brings me to this list even for printers which are listed on it, and it forces me to manually select the printer manufacturer and printer model.

It's done this for every single printer I've added so far, and it's getting rather annoying. They're all network printers, if that matters.

Is there some setting, somewhere, that is forcing this? How can I make it install them in a more automated fashion?

It's also affecting my boss's computer, as well (twin Dell laptops, Studio XPS something-or-other, Windows 7, if it matters).

Thanks in advance!

Elvenshae on

• Options
    edited November 2010
    So, uh, no thoughts from anyone, eh?

Well, thanks for looking, anyway.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are you running Windows 7 Home Premium, or Professional?

Here at school all the laptops need to run Professional to connect properly and quickly to network printers. There is apparently a protocol in Professional that was stripped out of Home Premium.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Home Premium.

Man, if that's the case, Imma be so pissed. Is there any reading on the subject available?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't find the IT pages right now that go into detail about the issue, but I believe it's the Domain Join feature of Windows 7 Professional.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    whats the OS of the system the printer is on?

xp?

the workgroup names won't match if you left it default, and if the workgroup names dont match it wont connect

Buttcleft on