As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo: Reach: The Thread! Grifball went live

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    xzzy I remember how awesome you were at Halo 2.

You just need to play with us more. We can teach you everything and soon you'll be better than me, and maybe even a good player.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    want my DLC so bad!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hcy4ws5xXQ

feel free to update the OP:

Tempest - "Though we may never fully understand these devices, it is not our nature to leave ancient stones unturned." This abandoned shoreline facility bends both sea and sky to an unnatural purpose, but the ground itself has quickly become another all too familiar battlefield. Though the two opposing symmetrical bases may never reveal their ancient purpose, both now offer makeshift shelter and access to strategic routes perfectly suited for small and large scale skirmishes alike. Tempest supports 8 - 16 players and offers a variety of modes including Free for All, Team Slayer, Team Objective and Big Team Battle. Tempest also provides players with a huge Forge palette, allowing them to create new custom map variants that can be shared with the community-at-large

Anchor 9 - "Orbital dockyards provide rapid refuelling and repairs for a variety of UNSC vessels." Within the confines of this low orbit dry-dock, UNSC craft undergo rapid repair and rearmament in support of the enduring war effort. But for the small squads of infantry who now fight over the mirrored interior hallways and open central hangar bay, this platform no longer provides any safe harbour - whether the close quarters combat is occurring inside or out of its artificial gravitational field. Anchor 9 allows 2-8 players to face off in game variants including Free for All, Team Slayer and Team Objective

Breakpoint - "ONI officials believe the data buried within this artefact is key to our survival." Atop this icy precipice, the Invasion continues. These modular archaeological labs were never intended to withstand such a large scale onslaught of Covenant military power, but the information being extracted here may prove vital to humanity's survival. In response to the imminent Covenant threat, UNSC ground and air assets have been deployed to bolster entrenched Spartan countermeasures. This dig site must yield salvation, or it will become a grave. Breakpoint offers multiplayer mayhem for 8-16 players, and supports the Invasion and Big Team Battle game

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm not even spending the time on todays Gunslinger crap. Perfect day for Black-OPs!

Jake Capps on
    X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    How is it that this game can be so well made, and I'm not having any fun playing it?

A night of nothing but completely terrible games and I realize how unsuited I am for whatever style of play Halo thinks it has. Either I have the completely wrong equipment for a fight, or I mistime using it, or I'm using the wrong gun, or I don't have exactly the right reactions.. whatever. There isn't jack shit I can do to actually kill anyone and I spend entire matches doing nothing but get more pissed off.

I've played all 5 Halo games and they keep making it more and more "pro", and all it's done is make me completely unable to enjoy it.

The past two nights of Halo have been filled with failure on my end. Failure very similar to this. It's burnout. Sometimes you play a game a whole lot or do something way too much and you just get tired. Take a break for a bit. play something else.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    I can't imagine what Reach does to make it more 'pro'. Anything that was remotely like that is siphoned off into its own playlist by now.

Bad choice of words. Maybe it's too much "rock paper scissors"?

You see event A, the proper response is action B. Doing action C, D, or E means you die.

Once upon a time all you had to do was aim at something and shoot it. Now there's equipment, which means you're probably losing a fight long before you've even spawned because certain equipment counters other equips.. you have to approach a fight differently against someone who has evade than you do someone with a a drop shield.

Then there's the fine tuning of the weapons. The burst on the BR gave a tiny bit of random chance to long range fights, but in Reach you have to remind yourself to pace your shots to make sure every round hits. If you miss even one shot.. you're dead.

There's just too many things for me to keep track of in a tense match, there's no way I can remember what I'm supposed to do each fight.

xzzy on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't imagine what Reach does to make it more 'pro'. Anything that was remotely like that is siphoned off into its own playlist by now.

Bad choice of words. Maybe it's too much "rock paper scissors"?

You see event A, the proper response is action B. Doing action C, D, or E means you die.

Once upon a time all you had to do was aim at something and shoot it. Now there's equipment, which means you're probably losing a fight long before you've even spawned because certain equipment counters other equips.. you have to approach a fight differently against someone who has evade than you do someone with a a drop shield.

Then there's the fine tuning of the weapons. The burst on the BR gave a tiny bit of random chance to long range fights, but in Reach you have to remind yourself to pace your shots to make sure every round hits. If you miss even one shot.. you're dead.

There's just too many things for me to keep track of in a tense match, there's no way I can remember what I'm supposed to do each fight.

I feel like that's just balance, though. You can't have one thing work in most situations without it being a significant problem.

At the kind of range you're talking about with the DMR, that random chance still exists. The bullet doesn't go in the exact centre of the reticule - it goes in a randomish place within it, weighted towards centre. Now, if it's tiny and the entirety of the reticule is over someone's head, then it's guaranteed. But it's just as unpredictable at long-range over Hemorrhage, for example.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I feel like that's just balance, though. You can't have one thing work in most situations without it being a significant problem.

I get that, but it feels like the margin of error is too small. The system is feels set up so that only a person who's perfect will do well.

Those of us who are completely average are pretty much just there to pad kills.

xzzy on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    See, to me, half the fun is finding out how to get not only B to take out A, but how to surprise people by killing them with C, D, and E as well.

Killing people with an AR when they have a DMR is just as satisfying as it was in Halo 3 with the AR vs BR.

I've killed people from on top of the Dorm in Powerhouse, with my enemies above elbow on the dirt path, through the simple method of feathering an AR.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    In other news, Halo 2's opening sequence for a little nostalgia action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrN5DVFFBAM

Like this thread, it launched 6 years ago today.

xzzy on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Those maps.

I want them nooooow

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Damnit, now I'm replaying Halo 2's attract video in my head
    OH TEH NOES!!!111

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Damnit, now I'm replaying Halo 2's attract video in my head
    OH TEH NOES!!!111

I'm not sure why I didn't capture the whole attract mode, guess it wasn't what I cared about at the time.

What I've got stuck in my head is that little guitar solo over the Bungie logo.

xzzy on
  • Options
    TheAngryDealerTheAngryDealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    For me Reach has become kind of monotonous, too. Games have devolved into: Maps I have to use Armor Lock to survive; Maps I forget I have an armor ability at all; and SWAT

TheAngryDealer on
  • Options
    Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    For me Reach has become kind of monotonous, too. Games have devolved into: Maps I have to use Armor Lock to survive; Maps I forget I have an armor ability at all; and SWAT

Yeah I agree. Not to mention that Team Slayer sucks because every 2 or 3 games I get trueskilled into a match with 3 people who go 1700+ and lose 12 to 50.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Reach is still lots of fun for me. As I slowly make my way up the ranks, I'm finding that the competition is stiffening and I have to work hard to even finish in the top 50%, let alone win. While it is disappointing to no longer be able to waltz to first or second place, I do feel like I'm learning more from these matches and that's keeping things interesting for me. And on the rare occassions that I do win, I feel like I accomplished something.

-EDIT-

Hey, I just realized that the OP says that LCDXX's son was "boring" just a few days before Halo 2 came out.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    damn all you black ops deserters! When you come crawling back we won't take you!

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You didn't see nothin'

Anyway
    TBK BIRTHDAY: THE REACH MAP
    No. Literally. It's named TBK Birthday.
    tbk_sixyear.jpg
    Click to download (or search for "tbk birthday" inside of Reach)

Kill, steal, fly, and go on a secret quest for a hammer on TBK Birthday, the Forge map I've made to celebrate 6 continous years of existence of the Penny Arcade Forum Halo community.

The map this year is only compatible with Slayer, and does not have a 'special' gametype to go with it. It does support multi-team.

For those of you that may be inclined to play some Halo 3 today, the 2008 and 2009 maps I made for the anniversary have now found their permanent home on my file share. There's a special gametype you can play them with, also on the share, but it is not truly required to play them.

Contest?

There is no contest this year specifically for the TBK Birthday. I thought a TBK specific contest needed a year off - if we make it to 7 years, I've got things planned for that one.

However, I am running a contest right now with the same spirit in mind for two Noble Map Pack codes. One side of the contest lets you make a donation to the Brian Morden Foundation. In return for your donation, I will put your name in a hat and draw for a Noble code. If you don't like Paypal, there is a Guess the Map contest.

Click here for details.

If you entered the contest for last year, do not worry. Details will be here Soon(tm)

Have fun, kids.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I like the ghost pointed at the boat ramp on the other side of the water.

Please tell me the water is actually too deep for the ghost, and anyone that tries to make the crossing will get a suicide.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yes, the water is too deep.

Also the donation drive is up to 260$!

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    When does Beeb get his code?

T4CT on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was just going to ask if there was a 6th Anniversary thing going on. Map looks good.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The only thing I'm burning out on with Reach is the quitters. Last night, I ended up with 8 or 9 games games almost back-to-back where at least two or three people quit off my team at the start of the match. Happened on a few BTB games and multiple Team Slayer games. Getting really, really tired of people who quit because they don't get to play Slayer Pro or Snipers or boring gametypes like those. I'm now officially tired of useless "incentives" (which have yet to benefit me in the slightest) for people who stay in the game and I want actual consequences for people quitting out of a game. Things like losing a thousand cR regardless of why you quit.

The worst by country mile was when I ended up with my entire team dropping out from Team Slayer Pro on the Cage. With AAs, I think this map can be okay for Team Slayer. When it's just you against four guys, it's simply an entire match of spawncamping. There was one spawn on the entire map which didn't instantly put me in LoS of at least two guys and naturally they had all the power weapons. So the whole game ended up being a race to see if I could jump off the edge before they shot me so I could at least deny the dicks a proper win. And because it was dull-as-dishwater "Pro", I couldn't even pull up a mildly useful AA to try and fight back.

Actually, now that I think about, what's starting to wear on me are the incredibly obvious mistakes Bungie made on a lot of the maps. Whenever I play Hemorrhage now, I see a couple people every game grabbing jetpacks and making a beeline for a safe spot way up on the cliffs on the open end of the valley. On top of that, the absolutely atrocious spawning on Hemorrhage. One enemy in a base is all that's needed to push the spawns of your entire team out into the open and away from every last damn vehicle. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? Then the glaring issues with Paradiso, wretched spawns on most of the other maps, and the terrible placement of hills for Crazy King.

Had a game yesterday where out of something like twenty Hill changes, no more than five ended up on our side of the level. The Hill ended up on some middle ground one time and then all the rest were right by the other base. There was physically no way to get across the map fast enough to rack up time to win, much less kill the tank babysitting their base, deal with Banshee, kill the Warthogs, etc.

/rantastrophe

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is there some sort of network manipulation glitch? In a number of the Team Arena games I've played in the past couple days, the game will fade out to the black screen like it's about to choose a new host. During that time, players on the enemy team will magically teleport to a new location (coincidentally right next to you) and kill me like seconds after the game comes back.

I remember shenanigans like this in the Halo 2 days and it was a pain in the ass.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The spawning is another reason I really enjoy Invasion. You can choose where to spawn, or even spawn with a teammate. It reminds me a lot of Battlefield.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ganluan wrote: »
    The spawning is another reason I really enjoy Invasion. You can choose where to spawn, or even spawn with a teammate. It reminds me a lot of Battlefield.

I wish it reminded me more of Battlefield :(

6v6 often feels like a half-filled server on invasion, and being limited to just one buddy spawn can often be a detriment if you get paired with a less-than-stellar player for the whole game.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It might on Boneyard, but it feels just the right size on Spire. But Boneyard was also the only map that was a campaign map first and was made into a multiplayer map later on

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There's probably no way to change this for the main game now, but I don't get why Bungie didn't make pickable spawns standard to all gametypes. If you want a random spawn point, you pick nothing when respawning. If you want to flip through the options, you can do the usual Invasion thing. Being able to actually choose a spawn, even if it's just a couple of spawns on the sides of your base, is a monumental help in reducing frustration so you don't keep getting spawned out in the middle of the open because one guy is standing on your base pushing away every last useful spawn.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I played a game the other day where the other team was 100% in a party, whereas I was pugging it. We voted for regular Invasion spire, one or two votes short of the blood gulch map on Invasion Slayer (which is SO much more lame compared to Invasion), the screen started to darken and black out, suddenly that loading screen thing appears...and we're back voting again! For the same three maps.

We voted for Invasion again....and it did it AGAIN.

Third time? We get Invasion Slayer.

Other team fucking with me? Sure sounds like it.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I should spawn next to my teammate 100% of the time in multi-team. I don't care if he's about to get gibbed by a grenade, that's still more useful than spawning on the other side of the map, because if you don't have a teammate nearby, you're definitely dead. Instead of just probably dead.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pickable spawns are something they can choose for a gametype when they script it up, I believe.

Ninja on Fire has said Bungie may issue an Invasion Slayer gametype that does not drop vehicles so "Invasion Slayer" can be used for non-vehicle centric maps, so if you used that gametype you could make a Slayer Game + Map with Battlefield type spawns.

Not sure if they can have JUST spawn choosing though. Brospawns might have to come along for the ride whenever they use those. I really need to see if I can get an interview from them for that.

edit: Rocket Race is a gametype where it's not Invasion and it can force you to spawn on your teammate's vehicle (and teleport you to it if you off it too long)

But ultimately, they don't have spawnpicking everywhere because that's not really what Halo is. That's Battlefield's calling card.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I dunno, I think the spawnpicking is definitely an improvement rather than a signature trait. Battlebro spawning wouldn't really bother me at all for Slayer gametypes, though keeping it out of non-Invasion objective gametypes would probably be a good idea. I dunno, though, since it does tend to keep the game moving.

And the pickable spawns don't need to be anything dramatic like being able to choose between opposite sides of the map to spawn on. If it's an objective gametype, two spawns ten feet apart, one in the base and one outside it, would be a definite improvement over spawning half the map away and in the open because one single guy walks in the back door of your base. Yeah, those spawn points are more predictable, but you also get to check the spawn before spawning so you don't end up getting sniped in the face before you can even see where you end up.

A lot of this would be alleviated by better spawns, though. Right now, the maps are packed with tons of exposed spawns with minimal or no cover.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, all you are talking about can be fixed with a lot of spawn work. I just haven't had the time to get around to reworking disc maps yet like I did for 3.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What never made sense to me was why they lowered the BTB Slayer kills needed to 75, but left invasion slayer at 100. I realize it needs to be 100 because there are swords and shotguns in invasion, but why lower the BTB when there are 4 more players?

ronzo on
  • Options
    CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I should spawn next to my teammate 100% of the time in multi-team. I don't care if he's about to get gibbed by a grenade, that's still more useful than spawning on the other side of the map, because if you don't have a teammate nearby, you're definitely dead. Instead of just probably dead.

I play multiteam like a larger rumble-pit and I do very well. If you go into there solo most of the time your teammate won't even have a mic. They're really little more than a score tacked on to yours. It's also not that difficult to run to your teammate.

Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Cunty wrote: »

I play multiteam like a larger rumble-pit and I do very well. If you go into there solo most of the time your teammate won't even have a mic. They're really little more than a score tacked on to yours. It's also not that difficult to run to your teammate.

I never go into matchmaking solo.

And depending on the map, it is pretty difficult because it generally involves running through a whole bunch of fights.

xzzy on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TRIPS

Trips was built around a very simple design. I took the Colosseum and split it into 9 equal portions. In each portion I built a unique and distinctive miniature battle ground (the only exception being the bridged corners). Trips was built for team slayer, FFA, and multi team, but supports the following:

-Assault
    -CTF
    -Headhunter
    -Oddball
    -Stockpile
    -3 plots
    -King of the Hill

I don't have any action pictures yet, but I do have these:

10prpf5.jpg

2h6yqeg.jpg

9ix0l4.jpg

fake edit: and now if someone could quote me for actual pictures, please.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kor wrote: »
    TRIPS

Trips was built around a very simple design. I took the Colosseum and split it into 9 equal portions. In each portion I built a unique and distinctive miniature battle ground (the only exception being the bridged corners). Trips was built for team slayer, FFA, and multi team, but supports the following:

-Assault
    -CTF
    -Headhunter
    -Oddball
    -Stockpile
    -3 plots
    -King of the Hill

I don't have any action pictures yet, but I do have these:

10prpf5.jpg

2h6yqeg.jpg

9ix0l4.jpg

fake edit: and now if someone could quote me for actual pictures, please.

Quoted, looks nice.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I got the reason I don't like this game. 90% of it is mid-range DMR combat, exactly the same as Halo 3.

That and the craptastic maps. I can't think of one I actually like.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This happened today in a Multi-Team with Yorker - I shot a guy in lock with a plasma pistol, and it bounced a bolt off really slowly. It surprised me so much I just had to watch it fly.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=9502149&player=Batigh

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
This discussion has been closed.