As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo: Reach: The Thread! Grifball went live

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MikeMan on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    you didn't see that

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    you didn't see that
    see what

MikeMan on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »
    That and the craptastic maps. I can't think of one I actually like.

They really are shitty maps. Every Halo game has had some terrible maps but they totally phoned it in on this one.. the only ones that are any good are forge remakes. The forgeworld originals are amazing pieces of crap.

The game in general is fun in spite of this, excluding a few problem areas where you run into teams cheesing armor abilities (armor lock on sword base gold lift, jetpacks on ivory tower) that force you to either do the same thing or lose.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    Blurbl wrote: »
    That and the craptastic maps. I can't think of one I actually like.

They really are shitty maps. Every Halo game has had some terrible maps but they totally phoned it in on this one.. the only ones that are any good are forge remakes. The forgeworld originals are amazing pieces of crap.

The game in general is fun in spite of this, excluding a few problem areas where you run into teams cheesing armor abilities (armor lock on sword base gold lift, jetpacks on ivory tower) that force you to either do the same thing or lose.
    I disagree. I really like Boardwalk, and the Cage is pretty awesome. Ascension is a great map so Pinnacle is just as great, the unfair spawns for blue team aside.

Just about the only map I don't really like is Spire. Boneyard is only meh.

Opinions!

MikeMan on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't think that the maps are that bad. Well, except for all the forge bungie made maps, not counting Hemorrhage, because that's a Blood Gulch remake. However they messed up a bit on that one because A: they removed the shotguns from the bases, and B: They removed the Banshee. Now that they have Wraiths which aren't as powerful as Scorpions, we don't really need the Banshee anymore, but I'd still like the Shotguns. Also, for some reason in Halo 1, I used the caves and sides more than I do in this game.

Edit: Boardwalk is shit too. I love Spire

Kadoken on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Good Maps:
    Countdown - layout is nice, BTB games here are quick and insane
    Boneyard - for invasion
    Powerhouse - I think this is perfectly balenced
    Reflection - Pretty balenced, although the power weapons are a bit lopsided
    Spire - Awesome for Invasion Slayer, Invasion and BTB
    Sword Base - Yellow lift room is annoying or awesome depending on if your team is holding it

Okay Maps:
    Zealot - seems like most of the map never gets used, sword doesn't seem to instantly spawn
    Paradiso - only for BTB games, should never be used for Invasion Slayer
    Hemo - See above
    Asylum - with evenly matched teams can be fun, now that the killzones are placed better

Shitty Maps:
    Boardwalk - too fucking big for 8-12 people
    Pinnacle - Ugh
    The Cage - its tiny, but still takes forever to get anywhere due to the roundabout walkways
    Atom - why is there even a ground level and 3 huge ass rooms under the base?
    Cliffhanger - how anyone though this map is good is beyond me
    Boneyard - Anything not Invasion is terrible due to the very one-sided spawns

ronzo on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I don't think that the maps are that bad. Well, except for all the forge bungie made maps, not counting Hemorrhage, because that's a Blood Gulch remake. However they messed up a bit on that one because A: they removed the shotguns from the bases, and B: They removed the Banshee. Now that they have Wraiths which aren't as powerful as Scorpions, we don't really need the Banshee anymore, but I'd still like the Shotguns. Also, for some reason in Halo 1, I used the caves and sides more than I do in this game.

Edit: Boardwalk is shit too. I love Spire

There are still shotguns on the map - they just spawn outside the bases, by the near rock formations. One of my favorite things to do is to grab a shotgun, make a mad mongoose dash into the other team's base, and pick off the dudes who come in to kill me.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Guys, we need to do a bootcamp night so I can unlearn all my Armor Lock habits and better use Evade, Sprint, maybe even Cloak and <Gasp!> Jetpack.
    As fun as AL is, I need to be more well rounded.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Vanity is cool. I just wish it had a female spartan.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    oh shit i forgot about powerhouse

powerhouse is absolutely fantastic

i have no idea what is going on in the minds of people who don't think that is a good multiplayer map. it's one of the best halo maps i've ever played on

MikeMan on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Boardwalk is 10x better when played in BtB. The only map I don't like is Zealot, to me it feels like midship but it completely misses the feel of midship and I'm not sure why but I just don't like it.

I'm quite happy with all the maps Bungie gave us much better then most Call of Duty maps I can think of (this is my opinion).

I can't wait for that space map.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    Guys, we need to do a bootcamp night so I can unlearn all my Armor Lock habits and better use Evade, Sprint, maybe even Cloak and <Gasp!> Jetpack.

I'm pretty sure we have at least one person who is expert level with each of those abilities and could probably organize a night of just training sessions

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    T4CT wrote: »

I'm pretty sure we have at least one person who is expert level with each of those abilities and could probably organize a night of just training sessions

I'm not a expert with jetpack but I've been having a lot of success with it. I personally find that its best used as a tool to attack from unexpected angles and to obviously have extremely fast vertical movement.

Oh and never EVER try and change direction with the jet pack. It's good at getting you up to a good speed and keeping you moving but as soon as you try to reverse you get stuck and just waste fuel. Pick a direction and fwooosh, don't be afraid to land then re jump its much quicker then trying to drastically change in mid air.

Granted I'm not that good but so far this is what seems to be working out the best.

Edit: I love Reach
    tigerknee.jpg

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I look at Active Camo as more of a portable radar jammer with an extra perk of slight transparency.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I actually need to learn how to use Armor Lock properly. I'm terrible with it

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Grrr... Elite Slayer has become my new hated game mode in Rumble Pit, now that Infection is out of it. The majority of people just spend the whole game spamming the needler and it's boring as hell.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I need some tips. I don't know what it is, seems I've been getting worse

Kor is so dreamy with his high spreads, makes me swoon

Has anyone played the TBK map Fyre put up? I still need to play that Death Star one too

Good games tonight though, even if my K/D dropped below 1.20 now :(

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    what in the fuck is with people

8 people, 4 on my team, 4 on theirs are just suiciding constantly.

their team stopped and booted 3 guys

our team is currently is
    2 (quit)

for a total of -22

wtf

ronzo on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish my dude would update on my Service Record :( Boring black Noble 6 is far from accurate...

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    we lost with -77

wtf

ronzo on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    oh shit i forgot about powerhouse

powerhouse is absolutely fantastic

i have no idea what is going on in the minds of people who don't think that is a good multiplayer map. it's one of the best halo maps i've ever played on

If nothing else, I'd say Powerhouse has the fewest balance issues. Spawns are placed so that you generally are never exposed but are always pretty close to the action, the power weapons are spread out and require retrieving them from places that you don't want to be fighting from, high ground is useful but the multitude of routes around the map mean it's hard to bottleneck people, lots of cover to use, and the rooms where people tend to hole up are easily accessible and assaultable. I had a game of Team Slayer the other day where two of my teammates dropped out and me and my last teammate lost by less than ten points. Why? Because you can actually play smart on the map instead of just getting hammered because the other team managed to grab every last power weapon.

In comparison, you have something like Sword Base where all the routes to the top are deathtraps and the spawn system invariably spawns the losing team down at the bottom. Your options are a) take the lift to the Room of Death, b) run across the completely exposed bottom floor to take the grav lift which makes you an easy target for several seconds, c) run across the completely exposed long bridge, or d) try to make it across the Bridge of Grenades and Bullets. And while that is happening, the enemy team occupies a position with excellent cover and only two actual ways in.

To me, Sword Base feels like a larger version of the Cage. Getting around it is a pain without using the jetpack, the fighting spaces are either way too open or way too tight, and whichever team loses the best fighting position has to just slog through a meatgrinder and hope they can get back on top. Fighting my way through baskets of grenades is just irritating and so are spawns which constantly split the team up and force you to cross lots of open space to get to a decent position.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I can see the complaints about sword base, i think I liked it better with the plasma launcher to get rid of the people in the death room. On that note, the completely gutted the launcher by making it fire super slow, and the grenades themselves move slow. On top of that, the really wonky lock-on thing usually either locks on instantly or seems to stop working for no reason. It's basically only good for killing warthogs and scorps

Also I hope whatever community maps they pick are better than atom or cliff, because both of those suck worse than anything that came on the disk

ronzo on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ronzo wrote: »
    we lost with -77

wtf

apparently suiciding as much as possible on maps/gametypes you don't like is the "thing" to do now since no one will quit matches for fear of missing out on the 7777 jackpot.

bungie needs to find a way to punish these idiots. (my secret hope is that they already have a check to make sure you're contributing to your games, but they need to do something explicit )

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I could stand to do with a little more info regarding the supposed changes to the Jackpot system, up to and including whether it actually works or whether you can win frequently enough for it to matter in the slightest. I mean, I haven't quit out once since before Bungie supposedly made that change, yet I haven't even seen a 777 cR Jackpot since the change and I used to get them at least a few times a week. And if the chances on the big Jackpot are something like winning once out of every hundred games, well, that's just not even worth it; I'd rather skip it and be able to avoid the worst of the gametypes out there if the odds are something like that.

And how does it work when it comes to being booted? I got booted out of an Invasion Spire game earlier today because two idiot teammates decided to go up the lift right next to each other and ended up getting killed by a plasma grenade I threw up the lift. Does that completely reset my chances for the big Jackpot or do I get up to the same level of chance if I play three or five more games without quitting or getting booted?

Because that Jackpot change is only encouraging people to find new ways to ruin the game besides quitting. On top of that, people are still quitting just as frequently and I've yet to see any meaningful reward for not quitting out of bad gametypes.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm pretty sure we decided that you have a better chance at a big jackpot simply because you get more jackpots when you finish every game.

Edit: Also, Atom is a community map, cliff is not.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sword Base makes an excellent SWAT and multi-team map, not really a fan of it in other modes.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i have nothing but good things to say about this game, the negativity in this thread hurts me D:

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i have nothing but good things to say about this game, the negativity in this thread hurts me D:

I second this - I get a really fun old-school shooter vibe from Reach's MP. I'd just like more maps and more stuff for forge...structures that aren't grey metal.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I got this game a week ago, and I'm loving it. Invasion is so goddamn fun, Firefight is good times, and all the new custom armor is nice. Also, assassinations are sweet.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In five straight double team matches last night I had partners who just stood there.

I have never been so frusterated playing a game.

It's like people have decided to just enter a game, and then go do other shit while the games play out and they're automatically cycled into more and more games, just getting jackpots. I wouldnt be surprised if half these people are at work or not even around...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, thats the trouble with games that reward you for playtime. People will idle for points.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't get the Sword Base hate, I really like it, needs some spawn work though (and it could do without the concussion rifle, I think).

I think I'm a lot worse at this game than H3, for some reason I'm struggling to keep up a 1.35 K/D here while in 3 I was sitting at 1.76 combined for ranked and social.

It's weird, I guess I'll just blame it on Rumble Pit and Invasion dragging down my average :P.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was on from about 9-11:30 EST last night, but didn't see many PA people online. Many of those who were online were playing BLOPS, but I did manage to party up with LCDXX for a few games. Dude, sorry for the other people in the party; I keep meaning to take them off my Friends List, but I'm bad at stuff like that.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    pretty much free 3000 credits today

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wow, that is generous.

The "Kill X" enemies ones aren't too demanding either, so it's like 5500 easy credits today.

That's good news for me, since I'm less than 15K from Lt. Colonel.

Also: Fyrewulff, can we still email you Forge maps, or have you moved on from whatever that was about?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Grrr... Elite Slayer has become my new hated game mode in Rumble Pit, now that Infection is out of it. The majority of people just spend the whole game spamming the needler and it's boring as hell.

It rules the day in multi-team too. It appears removing SWAT has just forced people to pick a new terrible game type as their favorite.

I honestly can't understand why elite slayer is popular. It's nothing but needler spam.. you can't use grenades because people just armor lock out of them and you can't use the rifle because you get needled to death much faster than you can get headshots.

It's 5 minutes of bum rushing people spamming the needler and that's it. A fine game type every once in a while, but people vote for it every time it shows up (which is a lot).

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    For those who are wondering:

Blastin' and Relaxin'
    Kill 180 enemies in any game mode in Reach - 2000cR

Where's There' Smoke ...
    Kill 50 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking - 500cR

Iron With Friends
    Complete a Campaign mission co-op on Heroic or harder with the Iron Skull on - 750cR

Linked Up with Bungie.net
    Link your gamertag with Bungie.net and play a game in Halo: Reach Matchmaking - 3000 cR

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks like I'll be playing today, heh.

edit@xzzy: Yea, I am kind of tired of invasion slayer too. but I'm still giving Reach a break atm anywy

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'll never understand why people are idleing for points.

It's just armour

I mean theres a whole awesome game to play here and they're more worried about having the bestest piece of swag :s.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
This discussion has been closed.