As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo: Reach: The Thread! Grifball went live

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kor wrote: »
    Am I the only one that greatly misses Halo 3's map selection? I can't be.

Halo 3 has a lot of good maps.

I like most of the reach maps to but the launch selection isn't as good as 3 was. However the DLC is some of the best maps I've ever played.

I still think the maps suffered by being designed for both campaign and multiplayer purpose.

Aside from aesthetics, I honestly don't think putting the multiplayer maps into campaign had any effect on them. Aside from aesthetics (again), any of the Halo 3 multiplayer maps would be fine for campaign. Wasn't the final word on the subject that they designed the Reach multiplayer maps for multiplayer first, then added them into campaign?

As a side note, my top 3 maps were all used for different purposes in campaign.
    Countdown - no fighting against the AI
    Powerhouse - only used part of the map to fight the AI (you can find more enemies up at the powerhouse, but you don't need to go up there)
    Sword Base - You use every part of the map, fight AI all along the way

Side note 2: All 3 DLC maps would be awesome in campaign.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The more I think about it, the more I think that the new Arena/Competitive playlists give us the worst of both. Arena is a poor subsititute for the old ranked playlist; it's no longer about just winning, but about individual play and the score you get. Getting a score that gets reset isn't nearly as satisfying as getting your rank up after a few weeks of play.

The completely apathetic interest in Arena (as evidenced by the extremely low population count) would seem to show that people agree with me, at least as far as their preference for this new "ranked" playlist.

Which means that the hyper-competitive people have moved over into the "Competitive" playlist, taking away a lot of the goofy fun and shenanigans that made the social playlist of old fun. This, along with the poor map selection of Reach is giving me a hardcore case of nostalgia for Halo 3.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Fire Team Zulu - Send Me Out with a Bang

Some of you might want to try for this.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I like most of the reach maps to but the launch selection isn't as good as 3 was. However the DLC is some of the best maps I've ever played.

I'm still of the opinion that they should of just imported all the halo 1 and 2 and 3 maps into each continuing game so it would create a cache of unique maps. Some things might not port over so well but it would create a larger pool of maps to choose from. Maybe i'm just being unrealistic though.

I'm no video game scientist, but I think that part of the reason they haven't done this yet is that the armor effects might unbalance some of the levels. Access to sprint and jetpack is going to change the flow of gameplay.

Also, updated graphics, blah blah blah.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I'm still of the opinion that they should of just imported all the halo 1 and 2 and 3 maps into each continuing game so it would create a cache of unique maps. Some things might not port over so well but it would create a larger pool of maps to choose from. Maybe i'm just being unrealistic though.

I'm no video game scientist, but I think that part of the reason they haven't done this yet is that the armor effects might unbalance some of the levels. Access to sprint and jetpack is going to change the flow of gameplay.

Also, updated graphics, blah blah blah.

You can argue that there IS no flow anymore because of the armor abilities; I'm not convinced by the argument . . . yet . . .

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Halo 1 maps aren't to human scale.

Halo 2 maps had broken as fuck spawns and aren't to Reach's/human scale.

About the only game you could directly port over would be Halo 3.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Firefight Arcade is up, under the Grab Bag category.

edit: JESUS CHRIST ELITES WITH ROCKET LAUNCHERS AND GRENADE LAUNCHERS FUCK

edit2: bonus round at the end of Fistfight is a shitton of Skirmishers

I'll finish handing out banshee codes to everyone that asked later today. Darley, you might have to fight your girlfriend for one but I think I can cover you both. Just been a bit busy.

No worries if there's just the one. Cheers!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Bro Chi MinhBro Chi Minh Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Good god, getting to Captain is quite the grind.

Does it get easier once I'm out of WO3? Please say yes.

Bro Chi Minh on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, things will pick up noticeably once you actually hit Captain, but the final grade of each level is still pretty long. The Grade 3/4 grind gets real ugly once you hit Commander, but fortunately from that point on you also start to earn more credits per match.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    WO3 seemed to take an eternity for me, but I feel like I'm moving up much faster now. It may just be a matter of perception. Or it could be that I seemed to slow down on picking up commendations at about that point, so there's less bonus credits coming in.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Area 52 from Perfect Dark remake is about 70% complete. At this point, all the floor geometry is essentially done, so at this point I can begin timing testing. At this point, I think I will be able to pull off also including the crawl spaces, but I'll have to make them completely out of the Decoration category at this point :lol:

The final map will be proper tunnels like the original, so no it won't be floating bridges like that. But this is pretty much the last time I can show an overhead shot where you can actually see the innards of the map.

jiAsol.jpg

compare with

http://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/198275-perfect-dark/faqs/35618

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I seem to have betrayed enough people recently that I'm now getting booted on the first one

Guy who sticked my banshee because I got in it before you, then booted me when I turned around and rammed you, hope you enjoyed losing that match!

ronzo on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ronzo wrote: »
    I seem to have betrayed enough people recently that I'm now getting booted on the first one

Guy who sticked my banshee because I got in it before you, then booted me when I turned around and rammed you, hope you enjoyed losing that match!

Have you tried not betraying people like a 5 year old?

EvilBadman on
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    EvilBadman wrote: »

yeah, but, people don't really seem to learn their lesson if you just win the game for them after they betray you for lolweapons.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Just hit Captain.

Firefight Arcade was very helpful in ranking up, it's quick, it's a lot of fun and it pays well.

Bro Chi Minh on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What is FF arcade?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    What is FF arcade?

The new FF playlist, it's under the Grab Bag category.

Lots of wacky gametypes and duration is about the same as Score Attack games, I think.

Bro Chi Minh on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's the number of rounds of a full multi firefight but they go quick because you have lolweapons

hailthefish on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    playermodel.ashx?rpis=sm35Hq-C-6FtGAawfbq5-xo4pkwJk8tRvT04fMIpG8M=

Yeeeaaaahhh, sup ballers

I just can't quit the Hazop

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Ports are okay, but I think re-imaginings are better, especially ones that actually bother to factor in changes made between games.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »

Ports are okay, but I think re-imaginings are better, especially ones that actually bother to factor in changes made between games.

I appreciate the balance between the two.

I like playing a remade map, and being able to see the exact same 4 columns that were there in the original. I like being able to tell a map is a remake without being told it's a remake. Then, balanced accordingly.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    EvilBadman wrote: »

yeah, but, people don't really seem to learn their lesson if you just win the game for them after they betray you for lolweapons.

99% of the time, my betrayals are accidental - the common ones like grenades, rockets, hammer swings in small rooms, etc.

The remain 1% of the time it's the jackasses who constantly melee you because you took their sniper/rockets or that constantly plamsa pistol stun the wraith/banshee/scorp that you stole out from under them.

And in this particular case, since I had 1 other person on my xbox locally and it was a invasion game, they probably did lose. 6 vs 4 are terrible odds when trying to finish phase 3.

ronzo on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What's really great is Infection when, as a human, you and a zombie simultaneously kill each other, but the game calls it a betrayal and the other guy boots you not a second later.

Arteen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Arteen wrote: »
    What's really great is Infection when, as a human, you and a zombie simultaneously kill each other, but the game calls it a betrayal and the other guy boots you not a second later.

When random dicks have the slightest bit of power over you, they will abuse it.

ronzo on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    After about two months away from Reach I just got back into playing online this week, and I have to say I've been enjoying the game a lot more than before. I dunno if I was simply burned out on it and needed a long break (even though I only now hit Lt. Col. 3 tonight) or the fact that the new stuff like Community Slayer and the Grab Bag offerings are spicing things up, but I've actually been doing quite well all things considered. Of course I'm still miffed to see that most opponents (and some teammates) have been massively immature jerks, at least I'm having fun with the game again, which is the most important thing.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I appreciate the balance between the two.

I like playing a remade map, and being able to see the exact same 4 columns that were there in the original. I like being able to tell a map is a remake without being told it's a remake. Then, balanced accordingly.

That's a better way of saying what I intended to, actually.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Anyone else need the weekly? Primus wants to be tugboated through it in about 10-15 minutes

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sure, I'll hop on

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hopped into Invasion on a whim while finishing up my 77 kills for the day.

Two of my team quit out after we got skunked in Boneyard (if they'd kept pushing, my teammate and I would have had it...), so of course the other team got the core out. But I got into the tank, and got that Triple Double challenge that I thought would elude me today. Huzzah!

After that, did a game of Crazy King on Tempest in Rumble Pit. One dude quit out during the first vote and another guy (with guest) got load error'd out, so it was just five people. Pretty fun, actually. I won by one second.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    new battle brocast is up

T4CT on
  • Options
    Mister_PenguinMister_Penguin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey! If I wanted to get in with some non-goosey dudes, how do I get in with TBK? I may have asked this before, but I totally got swamped with work and left. I'm not the greatest, but I have a headset and like to talk.

Mister_Penguin on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Simply friend some of the people on the TBK list, show up one day, and don't be an idiot. That's basically it.

Like how the podcast brought me up twice, but for all the wrong reasons.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Am I to assume that today's challenges would all need to be done in regular Firefight matchmaking, not Firefight Arcade?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    Am I to assume that today's challenges would all need to be done in regular Firefight matchmaking, not Firefight Arcade?

Doesn't matter.

Bro Chi Minh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Then unlimited hammer shall make the 400 kills all the more entertaining.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Area 52 is now geometry complete.

I'd like for the other Perfect Dark fans/players in this thread to download the map and take a look around. It's not set up for any gametypes yet, just geometry.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Looks like I'm going to have to give this Firefight Arcade a look when I get in this afternoon; I mean, an unlimited hammer? That exists?

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Looks like I'm going to have to give this Firefight Arcade a look when I get in this afternoon; I mean, an unlimited hammer? That exists?

Fistfight, I believe it was. Me and the missus had a whole match to ourselves last night, after the other two guys dropped out at the start. I had no idea how devastating the hammer was against hunters.

edit: hey, guess who's stupid! It was fistfight, not plasmafight. That makes more sense.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If you set your console language to Dutch and search by language, you can always have a game to yourselves.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Fire Team Zulu: Cold Pack is up. It's a Reach challenge for Firefight!

FyreWulff on
This discussion has been closed.