As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

School Me On Records

Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have a good friend of mine who just loves his record player. We sat around listening to some early 90's rap and old school R&B and jazz and I simply want my own set up. The sound quality, the depth and tone, the blatant hipster appeal, it is all a siren call to me.

So besides snooping the Wikipedia articles related to records and vinyls, what do you good folks recommend? I don't have a lot of money, but don't mind buying something if I know I am going to enjoy the ever-loving shit out of it.

Also, where best to get good quality records. There is a second hand book/dvd/cd/game/music store that has a surprisingly robust record section with some good choices, but what about online shops and ebay?

Thanks for your inputs.

Lucky Cynic on

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DISCOGS

edit: for records i mean

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Check your local Yellow Pages. There should be a few used record shops in there.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SygnonSygnon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    gemm is great.

Sygnon on
    b0b11710e1ddcbfc1958f52a53cb7566.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Goodwill and Salvation Army. You'll have to dig of course, but they get all kinds of stuff and you never know what you may find. Plus it's usually like $1 a record.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, so uh, how about players themselves and how to set up this whole thing? Any important reading guides I should look into because I am not at all versed in audio equipment. I don't mind reading however so if you guys can point my muzzle in the right direction at to what to look for, I'd appreciate it.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Get good needles.

I'm not up on current products but Shure Whitelabels were what I had on my decks and they were fantastic.

Shure Whitelabels on Amazon, for reference.

adytum on