As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Planck = Space Invaders + Rez (I've been corrected)

NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
Someone posted about a rather nifty indie game in development on another forum I frequent. Basically, you shoot at space ships that play different sounds with various weapons that also play different sounds. It's an interactive, vertical scrolling shoot-em-up music mixer.

I'm terribad with OP's, and generally lack much motivation, so fuck it. I'm cutting to the chase. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pef6TEIgaJQ&feature=player_embedded

And here's a link to the demo:

http://www.shadegrowngames.com/planck_v1p2/

IHZR47b.png
Nerdtendo on

• AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Huh, this looks really interesting.

Watching the video, the art design looks beautiful.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Played the demo.

Where can I send my money?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Someone said Audiosurf. I came as fast as I could.

Although I was mildly disappointed to find that this isn't really like Audiosurf at all. On the bright side, it's basically Fruity Loops as presented inside Rez. So that's cool.

Monger on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    HOLY CRAP that was amazing.

i need to try the demo.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i played the demo for 27 minutes straight

i need this D:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I also need this. Audiosurf bored me. This looks truly radical game design. So so rad.

Viscountalpha on
  • F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The demo was pretty damn impressive. If anything it shares more in common with Rez.

Fantastic stuff.

F-Zero_Racer on
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They've also mentioned being able to save a play through, so you can listen to the songs you make I guess. I don't know if they intend to add in some sort of scoring system or not. Honestly, I don't know if trying to turn it into more of a game would be a good thing.

Also, level editor? Importing sounds? I think these would both be good things.

edit:

From what I've heard, there's talk of trying to get the game on Steam, XBLA, PSN...

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh, wow. This is snazzy.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    They've also mentioned being able to save a play through, so you can listen to the songs you make I guess. I don't know if they intend to add in some sort of scoring system or not. Honestly, I don't know if trying to turn it into more of a game would be a good thing.

Also, level editor? Importing sounds? I think these would both be good things.

edit:

From what I've heard, there's talk of trying to get the game on Steam, XBLA, PSN...

I'd love for them to make this for the consoles. It's a pretty awesome game, but unfortunately i'm not adequately set up to plug my pc into my tv and sound system.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • PlaygaemsPlaygaems Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    Oh wow. I definitely have to get this when the full version is released.

Playgaems on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    On a day where I'm listening to lots of music I haven't heard in forever as well as discovering new music, this is so timely. Such a great piece of music in that video. I love games like this, even when they aren't much of a game, as in this instance. Very, very brilliant.

Fawst on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I could, and probably will, listen to that demo video a lot. The music is so chill

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Still not sure exactly how stuff unlocks, I was with the same sounds for a while in orange and blue but eventually I started seeing a few new sounds, and suddenly new weapons were showing up, like the one where there's constantly little orbs shooting all over the place. Still didn't manage to get 100% weapons when I finished though I thought I had picked them all up at least once.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • ProfessorPlanckProfessorPlanck Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to check out our demo. We at Shadegrown really appreciate it. We're hard at work making the game even more awesome and your comments fuel our burning game developing passion like liquid sunshine. Thank you.

Also, the team will be keeping an eye on this thread (and the other Planck one) and responding to any questions you guys and gals have.

ProfessorPlanck on