As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Screen of Death - Win 7

YallYall Registered User regular
Hi all,

PC boots, shows Win7 splash screen, then goes to totally black screen w/white mouse cursor.

Safe mode with and without networking appears OK. I don't have any restore points created, but do have the Win7 install CD.

Any thoughts on how I should approach the repair? I'm thinking must be corrupt OS file or driver if safe mode works.

Thanks!

Yall on

• Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    1: When you're at the KSOD, can you hit shift five times and get a response (any response)?
    2: In Safe Mode, does the device manager show any warnings/errors on any devices? Also check your event log (right-click my computer - manage - event viewer - windows logs - system) for warnings or errors, if there are any post 'em

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Spudge wrote: »
    1: When you're at the KSOD, can you hit shift five times and get a response (any response)?
    2: In Safe Mode, does the device manager show any warnings/errors on any devices? Also check your event log (right-click my computer - manage - event viewer - windows logs - system) for warnings or errors, if there are any post 'em

Will check both of these later today. Appreciate the response!

Yall on
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In safe mode, create a new user and see if you can log into it without problems. It may simply be something corrupted in the the winlogon portion of the registry (typically caused by malware).

kitch on