As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

help with my car's brake lights acting crazy

existexist Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
hello and welcome to my thread

the brake lights on my 1998 nissan sentra gxe are acting very strangely. you see, when my headlights are off, everything is fine. but when my headlights are on, the left and right tail light shut off whenever the brake pedal is applied, and turns back on when the pedal stops being in use. what is especially interesting is that the center stop light works without any problems.

i am not a man who knows all that much about cars so I have been getting some help in trying to fix this!

swapped out the bulb, problem persists. checked some of the wiring back there and socket for any faults, and have not yet found any. also checked the ground, as that seemed to be the most likely cause, and it looks to be in order. possible things I have read or heard could be the cause of the problem: headlights switch, brake switch, and master control switch.

any ideas?

UmPiq.png
exist on

• Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is there a single filament bulb in a dual filament socket back there?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    nope!

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's always worth checking the fuses. Your brake light fuse could be not fully seated.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    *edit* removed some unhelpful advice. I have no idea why but i read that as the brake lights are on, but when you press the pedal they dim. Thats not even close to what i says. Wow.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So the tail lights go off, but do the left and right brake-lights come on?

Ruckus on