As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MOBA DOBA]League of Legends: Boot him for Soal.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    how do you build your AP cho?

i've been going up the utility tree, picking clarity and ghost as masteries and doing something like

doran's ring > boots > RoA > rylai's > warmogs or thornmail or FoN depending

kind of a tank/ AP hybrid, since late-game i seem to mostly be tanking even in an AP build.

AP Cho:

I start with a Tome, build Sorc Boots, build Rylai's and build Zhonya's. If the game keeps going, justfill your slots with Needlessly Large Rods and/or Masks if they start stacking resists.

Initiate with Feral Scream, follow up with Rupture, enemy team is in the yellow, silenced and slowed until at least next Wednesday. Auto-attack + nom a squishy for great victory.

EDIT: There is an absolutely fucking awesome skin for Cho'Gath at leaguecraft. Check that shit out.

EDIT x2: I am anything but pro, so take any build advice I give with a grain of salt. It's just what's worked for me in the past.

hmm that's interesting. you go all-in on AP cho while minimizing the tank/AP items. i tried that once and ended up in lategame feeling like i just couldn't put out enough damage. like a tough caster with kind of hard-to-hit spells that didn't do amazing damage. it felt like all the awesome harrassment that cho has early-game just kind of withered once those tanks got super-tanky and the carries get super-carried.

i guess that's just a general problem with cho.
    Just remember that Cho is a disabler and you will never run into that problem. Max cooldown on him and enjoy 3 second AoE silences on a 7 second cooldown. This is godly. Also knockup and 3 second slow on a 5 second cooldown.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So. 40% cooldown on vlad is pretty darn silly. I'm still debating whether to continue with my more tanky build of Warmogs first followed by Rylai's and then spirit visage. Or to maybe try and go a more AP build by starting with Mejai's and super stacking AP and just getting the health from that instead.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    how do you build your AP cho?

i've been going up the utility tree, picking clarity and ghost as masteries and doing something like

doran's ring > boots > RoA > rylai's > warmogs or thornmail or FoN depending

kind of a tank/ AP hybrid, since late-game i seem to mostly be tanking even in an AP build.

AP Cho:

I start with a Tome, build Sorc Boots, build Rylai's and build Zhonya's. If the game keeps going, justfill your slots with Needlessly Large Rods and/or Masks if they start stacking resists.

Initiate with Feral Scream, follow up with Rupture, enemy team is in the yellow, silenced and slowed until at least next Wednesday. Auto-attack + nom a squishy for great victory.

EDIT: There is an absolutely fucking awesome skin for Cho'Gath at leaguecraft. Check that shit out.

EDIT x2: I am anything but pro, so take any build advice I give with a grain of salt. It's just what's worked for me in the past.

hmm that's interesting. you go all-in on AP cho while minimizing the tank/AP items. i tried that once and ended up in lategame feeling like i just couldn't put out enough damage. like a tough caster with kind of hard-to-hit spells that didn't do amazing damage. it felt like all the awesome harrassment that cho has early-game just kind of withered once those tanks got super-tanky and the carries get super-carried.

i guess that's just a general problem with cho.

Cho going into AP items will cut people right in two with feral Scream + Rupture. You will 2-3 shot squishies and leaves tanks running for their lives so they don't get feasted.

You will also actually get focused a lot, which is great for your true DPS champs.

EDIT: Also remember that Cho is a great anti-tank weapon. First, your primary damage output is AP, and frankly, tanks have nothing but shitty options for stacking magic resist. And if they do go that route, you can punish them with magic pen.

Second, Feast does True Damage. It ignores both magic resist and armor. Get Garen into Feast range and he'll get eaten as surely as any other champ.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just remember that Cho is a disabler and you will never run into that problem. Max cooldown on him and enjoy 3 second AoE silences on a 7 second cooldown. This is godly. Also knockup and 3 second slow on a 5 second cooldown.

wat

Rupture & Feral Scream are mana hogs. You can't spam them.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

wat

Well yeah. That's why you get mana items or runes on him.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

wat

There's like, these items.

Like, they're called, i duno, Rod of ages, and like, Chalice of Harmony.

See, they do this thing, with your mana.

It's like, "Oh no! I have no manas!" and then it's like "Oh, wait, nah, I got manas."

TracerBullet on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    i love grabbing boots early (and three health pots) with panth. i feel like it nets me way more of my pre-ult kills than doran's blade or a long sword

Organichu on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I love playing Poppy enough to now buy a skin. Too bad I didn't realize this when Lollipoppy was available. :(

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tryndamere is pretty easy to be competent with but he has a pretty damn high skill cap I think.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You probably shouldn't be buying mana regen items at all with Cho'gath. Tank build is usually the way to go.

If you watch HotshotGG play Cho'gath on his stream, he'll spam scream all day in laning phase (usually doesn't bother with rupture while laning unless he's guaranteed to hit it, because at high ELO they always dodge it). The secret is Utility spec, Mp5/level yellows, and Cho'gath's passive. If you last hit every creep in a wave (which HSGG does), then it's crazy HP and MP regen.

As for late game, team fights are short enough that you won't have to worry about running out of mana (especially if you buy something like Frozen Heart which will give you some extra MP).

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Meister wrote: »
    You probably shouldn't be buying mana regen items at all with Cho'gath. Tank build is usually the way to go.

If you watch HotshotGG play Cho'gath on his stream, he'll spam scream all day in laning phase (usually doesn't bother with rupture while laning unless he's guaranteed to hit it, because at high ELO they always dodge it). The secret is Utility spec, Mp5/level yellows, and Cho'gath's passive. If you last hit every creep in a wave (which HSGG does), then it's crazy HP and MP regen.

As for late game, team fights are short enough that you won't have to worry about running out of mana (especially if you buy something like Frozen Heart which will give you some extra MP).

I wasn't aware that anyone was talking about high ELO games or building Cho'Gath as a tank. Also, Hotshotgg is apparently a raging asshole so who cares how he plays?

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    OremLK wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Caenem wrote: »
    So Shen advice. Anyone got any? I just broke my ninja tank cherry and I think I like it.
    I went 9-17-0 for masteries since I'm not 30 yet. Built a Ruby-> HOG then Merc treads then Sunfire. I'm unsure as to how to skill him. Man he was fun.
    A good friend of mine swears by early Sheen on Shen and, as you have likely seen from my screenshots, he does well with it.

His build is indeed something like HoG, Boots, Sheen if he's doing well. If not, he'll start stacking a couple Giant's Belts first.

Hmm, getting an early Sheen does sound fun. I've been playing a straight tank Shen because usually the reason I pick him is because nobody else on my whole fucking team wants to play a character who even isn't squishy let alone qualifies as a true tank. But, I've been wanting to up my burst damage a bit so I can be more of a threat 1v1 and scare carries a bit more. So, yeah... I'm going to try Sheen.

Although it does irk me having to buy mana items on Shen.

Maybe I can make myself feel marginally better by turning it into a Tri-Force lategame.
    Yeah, his luxury item with that build is the TriForce.

Although, there's been a couple games where he's stayed in the field so long due to not being threatened and there being constant fights (he runs Teleport for even greater Shen map control irritation), he's bought the damn thing outright, which is always hilarious.

Well I was going to play Shen but of course that was the one game we had tanks (Rammus and Gragas). Then I was going to play Tristana, but they were goinig to put me in a 1v2, so I said fuck that and picked Sona.

Of course I facerolled and we rolled face.

It was pretty relaxing.

Went Locket/Manamune/Sheen and killed a poor Eve a bunch of times.

Shen advice? Go here.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • TIM.ETIM.E Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As a beginning player, I've been using Ashe as my primary. It's seems to me that Ashe is a Champion that's easy to understand her limitations and capabilities.

Does anyone have any suggestions for secondary Champions or other possible primary Champions for a beginning player?

Also, does the Penny Arcade Ventrilo have a designated channel for low-level beginning players?

TIM.E on
    oopsfirefinal1.JPG
  • MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Played this fairly extensively the past few days, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm finding it my go to game instead of Starcraft 2 because it's significantly less frustrating. I still have fun, even when I lose, unlike SC2. I really enjoy a lot of the things that they fixed from DoTA that the WC3 engine just couldn't deal with (vendor is a big example). The non cool-down recall ability was also a very nice touch.

I have a question about masteries. Are you permanently set once you go down a specific path, or can you reset them on a whim and redo your course? I'd hate for them to be absolutely permanent. Also, now that I'm leveling up (9 so far), it seems as though I'm starting to play a lot more people who don't have the generic characters allocated each week by Riot. Do higher level games become significantly more difficult to play in regards to opponent skill?

On a final note, I absolutely love Blitzcrank. I wanted to go a tank route, and I've found he's the one I have the most fun with. My new favorite thing is to team up with 1-2 team mates and use his arm grab across tree lines to snipe squishes, ha ha. I went Legendary last night just from doing that.

MrOletta on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You can redo your masteries any time you want. There's a big button on the left side of the mastery trees for it.

reVerse on
    edited November 2010
    TIM.E wrote: »
    As a beginning player, I've been using Ashe as my primary. It's seems to me that Ashe is a Champion that's easy to understand her limitations and capabilities.

Does anyone have any suggestions for secondary Champions or other possible primary Champions for a beginning player?

Also, does the Penny Arcade Ventrilo have a designated channel for low-level beginning players?

It really depends on what kind of champion you like to play. Ashe is a great ranged physical carry, she can be devastating when played well. There is a vast amount of champions to pick from so giving a bit of information on what you like best for example; ranged, melee, physical, tanking, etc. There is a lot that can be done with champions.

Also, don't think there is a specific channel for beginning players but I don't think its a problem if you hop into a LoL channel and ask for advice or help with stuff.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

edited November 2010
    MrOletta wrote: »
    Played this fairly extensively the past few days, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm finding it my go to game instead of Starcraft 2 because it's significantly less frustrating. I still have fun, even when I lose, unlike SC2. I really enjoy a lot of the things that they fixed from DoTA that the WC3 engine just couldn't deal with (vendor is a big example). The non cool-down recall ability was also a very nice touch.

I have a question about masteries. Are you permanently set once you go down a specific path, or can you reset them on a whim and redo your course? I'd hate for them to be absolutely permanent. Also, now that I'm leveling up (9 so far), it seems as though I'm starting to play a lot more people who don't have the generic characters allocated each week by Riot. Do higher level games become significantly more difficult to play in regards to opponent skill?

On a final note, I absolutely love Blitzcrank. I wanted to go a tank route, and I've found he's the one I have the most fun with. My new favorite thing is to team up with 1-2 team mates and use his arm grab across tree lines to snipe squishes, ha ha. I went Legendary last night just from doing that.

Playing against champions that aren't in the free rotation doesn't generally mean that you are facing someone who is better at the game, just someone who saved up IP or decided to spend some cash money on this game. They might have bought the $20 box edition of the game which comes with 20 free champs and then dropped another $20 or so to get the second champion pack which comes with another 20 champs. Though it is possible to be playing against a smurf account, someone who creates a low level account to roll beginners and such.

Also, I'm pretty sure LoL has some sort of matching system for normal queue that will match you against players of about your same skill based on win/loss ratios. So the better you do the better you opponents start to become.

Stragint on

• ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So. 40% cooldown on vlad is pretty darn silly. I'm still debating whether to continue with my more tanky build of Warmogs first followed by Rylai's and then spirit visage. Or to maybe try and go a more AP build by starting with Mejai's and super stacking AP and just getting the health from that instead.

Please never ever go Warmogs on Vlad. Only gives you 48 AP maxed out and makes you look terrible.

Just go full on AP (Mejai's, Rylai's, etc) and have a fucking ball.

EDIT: You're also missing out on fucking awesome Sanguine Pool damage since it's based off the bonus HP you get from AP.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Philonasus is the best thing in this world

Keysier on
  • LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So Shen advice. Anyone got any? I just broke my ninja tank cherry and I think I like it.
    I went 9-17-0 for masteries since I'm not 30 yet. Built a Ruby-> HOG then Merc treads then Sunfire. I'm unsure as to how to skill him. Man he was fun.

Shen has a special place for tanks. His greatest asset is his ability to be -everywhere-. Take a teleport and combined with his ult, most of your teammates should be golden. I focus on dodge runes and magic resist with move speed in my quints (For all my tanks.) and swap between ninja tabi and Merc treads depending on the team. Being disabled as shen doesn't bother me as much because of his high resists and health.

Your item build should focus on an Onduin and a banshee's. Get half the Onduin done (To maximize the HoG.) and grab the negatron cloak first for the banshees. So it should go something like

1.Ninja Tabi/Merc Treads
    2.HoG/Other Onduin Item
    3.Negatron Cloak
    4.Wards

Always purchase a ward or two with leftover gold. With a sold armor and magic resist item, you'll be in a sweet spot for tanking early. Finish off banshee's, and then the Onduin. Throw in additional armor/MR as required for the opposing team. FoN/Sunfires should be a hard focus - If your team is rolling the opposing team, grab a rylai's. AP+Health+slow with Q=Awesome. If you're not keen on AP, swap it with a frozen mallet. Don't focus on damage - Focus on making yourself as useful as possible! Then learn the mind game that is being a tank.

Edit - Use his W to piss off Zilean and other characters with predictible attacks. If you don't need to worry about it, focus on Q and E.
    Edit 2 - His Q and his passive make him a great jungler and a beast for farming in lane.

Lunysgwen on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    At the end of the game, I'm assuming the "damage dealt" stat includes damage dealt to minions? Is there a way to see just damage dealt to champions?

PolloDiablo on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    A Trynda - fucking - mere just bitched about Mord being easy.

LOL. Be immune to damage some more while right clicking, please.

tryndamere is worlds harder than morde.

this whole post is fail.

6 seconds of being immune doesn't mean shit in many different ways, that is if you actually played Tryndamere, you'd know.
    eeSanG wrote: »
    Tryndamere is pretty easy to be competent with but he has a pretty damn high skill cap I think.

this. he isn't extremely hard, but his ceiling is pretty damn high skill wise.

a competent tryndamere and a beastly tryndamere are 2 highly different things.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If I'm 1v2, I always focus heavily on Q and W on Shen, otherwise, I level Shadow Dash (E) first. Timing and targeting taunts in teamfights is critical. Need to seek high-value targets and keep them locked down as much as you can.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And why is everyone Corki all of a sudden? Did he get a buff? He still seems bad.

PolloDiablo on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    He got a big buff, and he was already pretty good in my opinion

He's a lot more popular because suddenly he's one of the best ranged carries in the game.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jungle taric is fun as heck

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited November 2010
    Varega wrote: »
    A good friend of mine swears by early Sheen on Shen and, as you have likely seen from my screenshots, he does well with it.

His build is indeed something like HoG, Boots, Sheen if he's doing well. If not, he'll start stacking a couple Giant's Belts first.

Hmm, getting an early Sheen does sound fun. I've been playing a straight tank Shen because usually the reason I pick him is because nobody else on my whole fucking team wants to play a character who even isn't squishy let alone qualifies as a true tank. But, I've been wanting to up my burst damage a bit so I can be more of a threat 1v1 and scare carries a bit more. So, yeah... I'm going to try Sheen.

Although it does irk me having to buy mana items on Shen.

Maybe I can make myself feel marginally better by turning it into a Tri-Force lategame.
    Yeah, his luxury item with that build is the TriForce.

Although, there's been a couple games where he's stayed in the field so long due to not being threatened and there being constant fights (he runs Teleport for even greater Shen map control irritation), he's bought the damn thing outright, which is always hilarious.

Well I was going to play Shen but of course that was the one game we had tanks (Rammus and Gragas). Then I was going to play Tristana, but they were goinig to put me in a 1v2, so I said fuck that and picked Sona.

Of course I facerolled and we rolled face.

It was pretty relaxing.

Went Locket/Manamune/Sheen and killed a poor Eve a bunch of times.

Shen advice? Go here.

the fuck no swain love on this page?

I'm trying to save up for that duder and wanted to know anyone's advice on playing him.

I forget who was boss with him, I think Talith or someone but yea, Swain is definitely my next grab.

If not I'll be a humongous dbag and get Vlad.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    That is the first time I have seen League of Arcadians, is it in the OP? All the bear cock scared me away from the OP.

Fizban140 on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish I could get back the points I spent on Vlad.

I just can't click with him, and even his puns don't make up for that.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited November 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I wish I could get back the points I spent on Vlad.

I just can't click with him, and even his puns don't make up for that.

Don't say that.

I never got him cause all the gaynerds were all gay for him during the early phase of him being released, but man he's a beast.

Just stick with him and try out new things, Vlad is seriously a ridiculous character and a NASTY middle.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would like to play with some of you dudes who are on vent, but I dont know if my mic works on my new PC yet :(

Kai_San on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I would like to play with some of you dudes who are on vent, but I dont know if my mic works on my new PC yet :(

Lots of people don't have a mic or don't talk so it isn't a big deal.

Fizban140 on
    edited November 2010
    Well its hard to start a game with dudes who dont know where I am :O

Kai_San on
  • MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How often are the folks from PA playing? I've been doing nothing but solo 5v5s at the moment which isn't that bad, but it'd be fun to play with fellow arcadians.

MrOletta on
    edited November 2010
    Kai_San wrote: »

You should plug it in and make fart noises.

That's the best way to find out.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited November 2010
    MrOletta wrote: »
    How often are the folks from PA playing? I've been doing nothing but solo 5v5s at the moment which isn't that bad, but it'd be fun to play with fellow arcadians.

a shit ton.

like more than we should be.

we are teh nerds.

get on vent and we are always playing.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    TIM.E wrote: »

i'd recommend a few different classes.

you have learned a ranged physical carry.

try a melee fighter/burst damager like pantheon. he only has mana problems early game, he has an ult that is a lot of fun and has provided some of my favorite moments since i started playing this game because of it.

then try a burst damage caster- maybe ryze? you'll learn some mana conservation, he has a root, a very basic combo, good farming with his E while staying relatively safe

try a support with a heal... it's hard to be great support but you should be able to at least dabble with, say, taric. he has a heal but also has some fighter tendencies if you can't quite go full support

um

i'm trying to remember who's free

rammus, i think?

a tank with a good initiation, a taunt (something important in this game), an AOE ult, and his powerball lets you escape a lot

i think except panth they're all free right now, and i'd consider those reasonable introductions to those classes

Organichu on
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Colt wrote: »

Please never ever go Warmogs on Vlad. Only gives you 48 AP maxed out and makes you look terrible

Don't listen to this man, he tells you lies! Get double Warmogs and not give a single fuck about being killed.

Magic Radio on
    edited November 2010
    Well I have definately decided on a character. The responses I received on vent seem less than favorable, so I guess I will keep soloing till I can find dudes who want to play with someone new.

Kai_San on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    why didn't I buy morde sooner? 19/7/4/ is boneriffic.

probably helps that I had my buddy playing taric attached to the hip for support but eh. probably gonna hop on vent later today and try to play with some of you nerds.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png