As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Song of Ice and Fire: The pilot is so close you can taste the incest.

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I kind of doubt it. HBO began to offer a streaming service to some of their current cable subscribers, but I think they're still a ways off in just setting up an online subscription service. You might just have to wait for the DVD.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Ugh that is dissapointing, I guess I will have my family record it on their tivo and I can watch it when I go over.

Is that even legal? Probably a topic for another thread.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm pretty sure that recording things on Tivo/DVRs is legal.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that recording things on Tivo/DVRs is legal.

Yeah it was kind of a joke, because of that tivo I now have the ability to see the episodes. But I am not going to get into this again, I don't want to be jailed again.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »
    HBO put up a character gallery. Not much new, but it does have a closer look at Theon (who we haven't seen much of) and the Hound (a closer view of the makeup is nice).
    Is it bad that the first thing I did with this gallery is count how many characters are still alive?

Xtarath on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Will there be any way to see this show other than HBO? I don't have cable or a TV and I am not changing that anytime soon.

I'm still holding out slim hope for a netflix option.

Tamin on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    None of HBO's shows are available for streaming on Netflix

but you can get the DVDs through them when they come out!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tamin wrote: »
    Will there be any way to see this show other than HBO? I don't have cable or a TV and I am not changing that anytime soon.

I'm still holding out slim hope for a netflix option.

Man that would be perfect, so obviously it won't happen.

Does HBO really make that much by charging insane amounts for their DVDs? Are they not available anywhere else? Just seems like they are missing out on business. I know a lot of people who don't have cable and would never get HBO and can't afford the DVDs.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Strangely enough, the premium cable service doesn't distribute the content to people who do not pay them a premium.

I think it is called a "Business model" or some such.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Strangely enough, the premium cable service doesn't distribute the content to people who do not pay them a premium.

Not sure if you were trying to be a goose but you did an incredibly good job of doing it.

HBO needs to sell their shows in a different format that doesn't require me to spend $60/month or $80 for a dvd set.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    No, they don't.

The entire premise of HBO and their 30+ years of successful business are that if you are unwilling to give them significant amounts of money then they do not care about you.

The best, absolute best, we could realistically expect would this to go up on I-Tunes like service for a near DVD level of cash. Even then, that isn't really a good idea for them, they know it and anybody with half a brain can see why that is.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well then they will continue to get aboslutely no money from me, while I enjoy all their shows for free. Thanks for buying the Tivo Dad!

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ...that showed 'em.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Not sure if you were trying to be a goose but you did an incredibly good job of doing it.

HBO needs to sell their shows in a different format that doesn't require me to spend $60/month or $80 for a dvd set.

What do you mean by "needs"?

I'm pretty sure if HBO needed to do that, they would do that.

What you mean is you would like them to do that, which is not the same thing as a "need" (on either side, really, because you can live without seeing A Game of Thrones). I would agree with you if you said "it would be a lot better if they would offer the content in some other manner" but you seem almost demanding, and it reeks of entitlement complex. I don't mean to be a jerk (really!) but HBO doesn't really owe anyone anything.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Eh, I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD.

V1m on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well then they will continue to get aboslutely no money from me, while I enjoy all their shows for free. Thanks for buying the Tivo Dad!

So who's paying for HBO so you can tivo it?

shryke on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    buyin one HOB show on DVD probably costs more than a year of the service

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    buyin one HOB show on DVD probably costs more than a year of the service

Everything goes on sale sooner or later.

V1m on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Drez wrote: »

What you mean is you would like them to do that, which is not the same thing as a "need" (on either side, really, because you can live without seeing A Game of Thrones). I would agree with you if you said "it would be a lot better if they would offer the content in some other manner" but you seem almost demanding, and it reeks of entitlement complex. I don't mean to be a jerk (really!) but HBO doesn't really owe anyone anything.
    What in the fuck are you talking about? Jesus this is why I stay out of D&D, this isn't a philosophy thread I was being literal.

HBO needs to have a different option if they want my money.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i think the general point is that HBO doesn't care about your money, because they have plenty

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i think the general point is that HBO doesn't care about your money, because they have plenty

I am sure Deadwood would disagree with you.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

they are already getting the money from your dad in this scenario, so they are pretty cool with that I think

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HBO is available on Fancast, I really can't parse why Comcast doesn't just start offering fancast to non Comcast customers for like 60% the cost of a cable subscription or something.

In many cases it would be worth it

override367 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »

they are already getting the money from your dad in this scenario, so they are pretty cool with that I think

But they could be getting money from me as well, that is the point.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    well, I'm going to resubscribe to HBO for this, so I guess they win in the end afterall.

I loved having HBO, this show just makes it that much better.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah, treme starts up again not long after game of thrones, so I'm thinking of catching up on that before it starts to get my money's worth out of my subscription.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Treme is fantastic, and HBO documentaries are also great. Those three things alone are worth the cost of a subscription, and then add in Bill Maher, it almost pays for itself!
    it doesn't even come close to paying for itself. But it's still worth it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

What in the fuck are you talking about? Jesus this is why I stay out of D&D, this isn't a philosophy thread I was being literal.

Why should they care about getting your money when you don't feel like you should be paying near as much as they need for their product?

You are like the guy chastising BestBuy because the 52-inch flatscreens aren't under $100. "If they want my money, they'd make those TVs more affordable!"

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    shryke wrote: »

Why should they care about getting your money when you don't feel like you should be paying near as much as they need for their product?

You are like the guy chastising BestBuy because the 52-inch flatscreens aren't under $100. "If they want my money, they'd make those TVs more affordable!"
    They do make the TVs affordable, there are cheaper and smaller TVs available for purchase. HBO has one product available that I can't really afford and don't feel like it would even belong in my budget if I could. I think to get HBO it would have at least an extra $50 a month for me, but that isn't the point, I am paying for a lot of things I wouldn't want. All I want is Game of Thrones and HBO doesn't really offer a service for that.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Xtarath wrote: »
    HBO put up a character gallery. Not much new, but it does have a closer look at Theon (who we haven't seen much of) and the Hound (a closer view of the makeup is nice).
    Is it bad that the first thing I did with this gallery is count how many characters are still alive?

Sansa... doesn't look like the rest of her family. Is weird.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I dunno, I think she and Robb look pretty similar. Around the eyes anyway.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Xtarath wrote: »

Sansa... doesn't look like the rest of her family. Is weird.

you mean pretty

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They do make the TVs affordable, there are cheaper and smaller TVs available for purchase. HBO has one product available that I can't really afford and don't feel like it would even belong in my budget if I could. I think to get HBO it would have at least an extra $50 a month for me, but that isn't the point, I am paying for a lot of things I wouldn't want. All I want is Game of Thrones and HBO doesn't really offer a service for that.

They do, actually. They make their show seasons available about a year after they initially air, like most shows do. You can only view them during the initial airing if you're a subscriber, and they do that because they'd rather make more money off you if possible.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

They do, actually. They make their show seasons available about a year after they initially air, like most shows do. You can only view them during the initial airing if you're a subscriber, and they do that because they'd rather make more money off you if possible.

Yeah I know but instead they make no money off of me, I would gladly pay for these if I could get them on my PC around airing.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HBO's entire current season is usually available through On Demand as well, so if you wanted to be uber cheap just call up your cable company, ask for a one-month trial of HBO after the seasons over, watch 'em all on demand and then cancel.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Yeah I know but instead they make no money off of me, I would gladly pay for these if I could get them on my PC around airing.

Well, sure. But it's probably likely that they make more money off the people who pay through their system the way it is than they would make from people like you if they offered streaming of just single shows. Broadcasting will probably always be heavily invested in the "content package" way of selling, because it lets them experiment with more types of shows than if they just sold content on demand.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

The amount of money they would lose by offering JUST game of thones, or true blood for a substantially lower price than their subscription would amount to a loss.

Either they'd have to set the price for the series on its own high enough where you might as well just buy a subscription or they'd lose out. Now if you're talking about just avoiding the cable service altogether, yea it'd be awesome if HBO had its service online for like $30 a month, I mean that's more than they get from a television subscriber. We're never gong to get entirely ala carte (for live airing shows, for past shows sure) viewing, because they'd never be able to take any risks or fund new projects.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

The amount of money they would lose by offering JUST game of thones, or true blood for a substantially lower price than their subscription would amount to a loss.

Either they'd have to set the price for the series on its own high enough where you might as well just buy a subscription or they'd lose out. Now if you're talking about just avoiding the cable service altogether, yea it'd be awesome if HBO had its service online for like $30 a month, I mean that's more than they get from a television subscriber. We're never gong to get entirely ala carte (for live airing shows, for past shows sure) viewing, because they'd never be able to take any risks or fund new projects.

Hell wouldn't $10/month be more than they get anyways?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Hell wouldn't $10/month be more than they get anyways?

Probably not, because unless all their subscribers like 6 or more shows, they'd dump the subscription and a la carte the shows they like. Now instead of a subscriber paying $60/month for the whole channel (a subscriber who is able to check out all your other shows/movies/whatever), you have someone paying $10-50/month who doesn't really give a shit about your other shows.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah maybe but I think the majority of people who get HBO are just the middle class and up family that wants something for their new TV or whatever and they get a package. But this is getting way too speculative, I just think that they could offer something for the poor college student who can't afford bundles and doesn't want to steal.

Fizban140 on
This discussion has been closed.